I was in a bar out in Queens, NY where I befriended a older Irish man who was using a magnifying glass to look at his moto razr. I asked why not just get a smart phone. They have bigger screens, he replied with how he doesn't need one. I go on and on about how smart phones are awesome. He says let me see what kind of phone you have. I show him my Q10 and he goes blackberry? There obsolete why would you even carry one. I thought you were tech savvy. I was in shock on how someone carrying a magnifying lens and his flip phone could make such a statement. Blackberry get your advertising up, seriously! Things like this shouldn't happen, I thought I was in the twilight zone.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-14 12:53 AM
    Somehow I couldn't help but have a LOL-moment. But yeah, you're right. This sucks major balls. I guess the bad reputation of BlackBerry is even more extensive than I thought... let's hope they have a killer marketing campaign when the Passport and the Classic are released.
    07-01-14 01:54 AM
    ... and he goes blackberry? There obsolete why would you even carry one. I thought you were tech savvy. Posted via CB10
    I face this on an almost daily basis, and I shrug it off. I have been hearing of BlackBerry's demise for the past 4 years now. Nothings dead until it's truly dead and buried. Till the time BlackBerry is in the business of making devices and providing services, I will consider them along with the others. The day they themselves announce that they are done, and will fold, I will buy some BlackBerry devices to tide me over

LP&HG
    07-01-14 02:07 AM
    I face this on an almost daily basis, and I shrug it off. I have been hearing of BlackBerry's demise for the past 4 years now. Nothings dead until it's truly dead and buried. Till the time BlackBerry is in the business of making devices and providing services, I will consider them along with the others. The day they themselves announce that they are done, and will fold, I will buy some BlackBerry devices to tide me over
    Sure it is true, but I really think you're missing the point. BlackBerry needs more than just you and I as customers in order to survive. And while we both know that BlackBerry is doing fairly alright, other people need to know as well, otherwise those other people will never consider buying a BlackBerry because "isn't BlackBerry dying"? That's why it is important for BlackBerry to gain back a great reputation. Or at least.. that it's alive and very very viable!
    07-01-14 02:11 AM
    LOL. This is scenario has played out almost on a daily basis for me. I have had so many comments about my Z10 - "Wow is that an iPhone? Oh I didn't know BlackBerry makes a full touch phone..."

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    07-01-14 02:13 AM
    Truth is most phones are obsolete as soon as they leave the store. They are just 'supported'. The fact is BlackBerry to some degree are to blame due to their lack of exposure and advertising. This may be how they want it? to not be seen as a consumer/end user device like Samsung and Apple and Sony and the 'big' players.

They may like the fact they are still a niche player. It doesn't go down well though when you slip your BlackBerry out and people make comments like that. I bet your bottom dollar that if you put another logo on the same phone they will think differently.

Think nothing of it and hold your heads up high as those niche BlackBerry users
    Hey OP, was the Motorola he had an upgrade from his previous bag phone?
    bungaboy likes this.
    I kind of get a secret satisfaction from the fact that others do not know of my BlackBerry 10 device.

What can I say, I like being unique.

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    blusls likes this.
    07-01-14 02:36 AM
    LOL. This is scenario has played out almost on a daily basis for me. I have had so many comments about my Z10 - "Wow is that an iPhone? Oh I didn't know BlackBerry makes a full touch phone..."

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    I've gotten that occasional look at work when I had my Bold 9930 and still from the occasional newcomer at work when they see my Q10, and i've heard the "I didn't know there were touchscreen BlackBerry's" a few times when spotted flicking thru webpages and so on.

Someone said earlier that it takes more than you and I to change the very cemented perception of the brand name and man is that a true statement.
    07-01-14 03:07 AM
    I hear that all the time until I bring out my z30 and then they look and say, that's a Blackberry!!! Here in the USA the brand is all but dead and buried.

Android and Apple have masterfully embedded their products in the mainstream culture here and it's not changing anytime soon.

As much as I show off my z30 and all the great things that OS10 has to offer, they just say it's cool and go back to using their Galaxy and IOS devices.

Until Blackberry can reestablish their brand presence here in the USA, I don't see it changing in the near distant future.

I am committed to buying the new passport because I love Blackberry and OS10, but I am a dinosaur here, sad but very true.

Sent from my lovely z30 on T Mobile USA
    07-01-14 05:50 AM
    I have never faced anyone talking negatively about my BlackBerry. Mostly because no one cares what device I use. Even if they did, I wouldn't care. It does not matter to me if other folks like BlackBerry; it only matters if I like BlackBerry.
    app_Developer likes this.
    07-01-14 06:11 AM
    I was in a bar out in Queens, NY where I befriended a older Irish man who was using a magnifying glass to look at his moto razr. I asked why not just get a smart phone. They have bigger screens, he replied with how he doesn't need one. I go on and on about how smart phones are awesome. He says let me see what kind of phone you have. I show him my Q10 and he goes blackberry? There obsolete why would you even carry one. I thought you were tech savvy. I was in shock on how someone carrying a magnifying lens and his flip phone could make such a statement. Blackberry get your advertising up, seriously! Things like this shouldn't happen, I thought I was in the twilight zone.

Posted via CB10
    I love this post, because I'm Irish and live in NYC. But I'm young and use a Z10

Via Z10
    blusls, neteng1000 and donemt like this.
    07-01-14 06:14 AM
    For me it's more like, "a BlackBerry?...wait, lemme see that"

Posted via CB10
    07-01-14 07:20 AM
    Same here, people I know have been asking me, "Isn't BlackBerry kind of dead already?". I just explain to them that the focus is on enterprise yada yada.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-14 07:47 AM
    It's pretty simple, most people's experience of a BlackBerry is as a work issued phone - even privately owned ones were cheap Curves most often. Limited by work IT policies, rarely touchscreen, and most likely a cheap Curve, it was something that tied them to their employment, and compared poorly to a personal iPhone where they could play with it. They don't look at BlackBerry phones because of that legacy, and they aren't aware of BB10 in any way whatsoever. They are comparing their own iPhone or Android phone to a BlackBerry of three years ago running OS7 at best.

People don't notice now because they aren't that interested. The kind of person who comes on Crackberry is not representative any more than the kind of person who goes on iMore. Changing perceptions will take some time. I get the feeling that it is slowly starting to happen, but there's no reason to be surprised in any way that people think like this at the moment.
    07-01-14 08:00 AM
    I have never faced anyone talking negatively about my BlackBerry. Mostly because no one cares what device I use. Even if they did, I wouldn't care. It does not matter to me if other folks like BlackBerry; it only matters if I like BlackBerry.
    +1
    07-01-14 09:00 AM

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    Ditto.
    07-01-14 09:00 AM
    It's pretty simple, most people's experience of a BlackBerry is as a work issued phone - even privately owned ones were cheap Curves most often. Limited by work IT policies, rarely touchscreen, and most likely a cheap Curve, it was something that tied them to their employment, and compared poorly to a personal iPhone where they could play with it. They don't look at BlackBerry phones because of that legacy, and they aren't aware of BB10 in any way whatsoever. They are comparing their own iPhone or Android phone to a BlackBerry of three years ago running OS7 at best.
    So true. In that way, their own succes in enterprise from years before is partly causing their current reputation. Not all firms upgrade their phones accordingly, because they have tight budgets. They just re-use the old phones, or order a new batch of those legacy devices because then they wouldn't need to upgrade their BES server... that's why the EZ pass program is important. Get those firms over to BES10.. probably such a change that they may also reconsider the new phones.

A friend of mine just started a new job as a physician in a psychiatric institution and his work phone is, guess what? A Bold 9780... first thing he does is make a picture of it with his HTC and then send it through a Whatsapp group of 12 people asking me "how do you manage to get by using one of these absurd things?" I thought of starting a whole rant about the new phones but decided that it was useless anyway.. But this really highlights one of the main problems BlackBerry is running into... in the public's mind.. there is no BlackBerry 10, there are only those legacy devices... We can only hope that John Chen unleashes a marketing frenzy with the BlackBerry Passport and BlackBerry Classic. Something flashy, something attention-grabbing.. something SEXY!
    07-03-14 01:03 AM
    That is hilarious...lmao
    07-03-14 09:20 AM