Hello to all my crackberry fellow members I dont know if this post has been already asked before but i just wanted to know what are some of the perks of the bb 9700 bold on at&t. I have used the internet browers on the wifi and a few applications such as pandora and opera mini but other apps like google maps and blackberry app world dont seem to work, so i was just wondering what are the advantages to having wifi and what apps can i use on a wifi network. Thanks for all the feed back guys and remember i'm a newb so try not to be so harsh on me. Thanks again guys!
    07-16-10 12:52 AM
    Faster Internet Browsing

The most immediate benefit of a BlackBerry with WiFi capabilities is faster Internet browsing. Although cellular networks are constantly updating and improving speed, those networks have a pretty low cap on how much data they can handle at one time. Even 3G networks can suffer under tremendous usage strain and slow down during peak usage. However, WiFi-enabled BlackBerry phones can be switched to WiFi mode, which will allow Internet Browser to run independently of the network, resulting in faster speeds.

Less Congestion During Peak Talk Hours

WiFi mode can also be used to make Voice over IP calls (VoIP) when the BlackBerry phone is in range of a WiFi signal. These calls feature the same quality as those made on the phone's network, but since they use a WiFi signal, they do not add to the congestion that networks feel during peak call hours, and can be made more reliably.

Reception in "Dead Zones"

In any countrywide network, there are areas where there is low or no reception. If you have a WiFi-enabled BlackBerry, however, you can still make reliable calls in these areas, as long as there is a WiFi network nearby that the phone can use. This eliminates dreaded "dead zones" and allows you to make and receive calls as if you were still in an area with good coverage.

Faster App Downloads

The BlackBerry App world is a great service that allows you to download applications like games and utilities. However, if you try to download apps from this service over the regular phone network, you may have to wait a long time for the app to download, especially if the network is congested. If your Blackberry is WiFi-enabled, you will be able to use the wireless network to download the app, which will result in much faster download speeds.

Access Point Identification

If you are traveling or in an otherwise unfamiliar location and need to know where the nearest wireless network is, you can use a WiFi-enabled BlackBerry to find nearby WiFi signals. Although this isn't a feature tied directly to BlackBerry use, it will help you identify wireless hotspots you can use for other devices, as well as for the BlackBerry.

__________________________________________________ __________________

If you have a data plan, most apps will use that, even if wifi is on. If you set it to wifi only, and still have a data plan, a lot of apps don't work over wifi.

If i put wifi only on, very few apps work. Thats the reason for wifi preferred.
    07-16-10 01:09 AM
    "Less Congestion During Peak Talk Hours

WiFi mode can also be used to make Voice over IP calls (VoIP) when the BlackBerry phone is in range of a WiFi signal. These calls feature the same quality as those made on the phone's network, but since they use a WiFi signal, they do not add to the congestion that networks feel during peak call hours, and can be made more reliably.

Reception in Dead Zones

In any countrywide network, there are areas where there is low or no reception. If you have a WiFi-enabled BlackBerry, however, you can still make reliable calls in these areas, as long as there is a WiFi network nearby that the phone can use. This eliminates dreaded "dead zones" and allows you to make and receive calls as if you were still in an area with good coverage"

this only works on UMA supported carriers like t-mobile, not at&t.
    07-16-10 01:37 AM
    thanks for all the feed back guys!!! But there is another question i had, only a few apps work on the wifi connections is that something common or should most applicaitons work on a wifi connection?
    07-17-10 12:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD