View Poll Results: Which one should i get ?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blackberry

13 61.90%
  • Motorola Droid

3 14.29%
  • Iphone

3 14.29%
  • Palm Pre

2 9.52%
  • others ..

0 0%
    I had a feeling this thread would more or less go this way... *chuckle*

Some sound points have been made - not sure WHY all the extra-curricular comments have been made. Mass-generalizations aren't even necessary on this one. Just take the user in question - what do THEY plan on using their phone for? Go from there...
    02-21-10 03:07 PM
    I had a feeling this thread would more or less go this way... *chuckle*

Some sound points have been made - not sure WHY all the extra-curricular comments have been made. Mass-generalizations aren't even necessary on this one. Just take the user in question - what do THEY plan on using their phone for? Go from there...
    Yeah, but then there's always the people who just HAVE to convince somebody to use one phone over the other, regardless of what the OP really needs their phone to do.
    02-21-10 03:10 PM
    Once considering needs, usability and possible financial issues, it's fairly simple to answer the question.

Teens text, they don't e-mail. The situation with the op is that her friends don't have BlackBerry, therefore there is little advantage of using a BlackBerry as BBM will be useless. Also the added cost of a BlackBerry data plan is something to think about and whether it is beneficial to use a BlackBerry for this added cost.

Now even if the op's needs are a smartphone with a keyboard, that's still 1/3. Usability is not as high as it could be and financial issues might be in the way. I say case closed, to the op if you read this, get a Nokia E71/E72 or anything else that you like.
    That's actually a very good point about the E71/E72. Loved this post.
    02-21-10 03:17 PM
    Yeah, but then there's always the people who just HAVE to convince somebody to use one phone over the other, regardless of what the OP really needs their phone to do.
    At the end of the day, that's all that matters. I've been using Blackberries since they were just 2-way pagers. I've used different phones together, for different reasons - including a BB/iPhone combo.

If you want apps and a keyboard, a BB is fine. (IMO) If the 'social' aspect is stronger, you'll probably want to go a different route, honestly. BB's have gotten much more popular recently, but in reality they are business phones - that's their target audience. Take the apps away from a BB, and you'll still have its core there. Take the phone away from the iPhone, and its core is still there. Both will still sell with their respective audiences. You basically have phones, smartphones and social networking devices. They each may have certain characteristics of the others, but each has its own strengths (or at least core functions).

Personally, for the OP I'd recommend that Motorola with the social apps built into the homescreen. Phones aren't cheap nowadays anyway; you'll be spending anywhere from $200-600 on a device - with a focus on one particular aspect, either way. Go for what you really want.
    02-21-10 03:29 PM
    having cleared out that BB isnt for her, E71/E72 is a good phone with keyboard... not very multimedia as she asked for, but its cheaper and doesnt comes with BIS cost...
    if its really multimedia what your lookin for and texting i can recommend N97 too, maybe Palm Pre as it has a keyboard, also htc dream (the G1) has a keyboard and comes with android...
    02-21-10 03:35 PM
    At the end of the day, that's all that matters. I've been using Blackberries since they were just 2-way pagers. I've used different phones together, for different reasons - including a BB/iPhone combo.

If you want apps and a keyboard, a BB is fine. (IMO) If the 'social' aspect is stronger, you'll probably want to go a different route, honestly. BB's have gotten much more popular recently, but in reality they are business phones - that's their target audience. Take the apps away from a BB, and you'll still have its core there. Take the phone away from the iPhone, and its core is still there. Both will still sell with their respective audiences. You basically have phones, smartphones and social networking devices. They each may have certain characteristics of the others, but each has its own strengths (or at least core functions).

Personally, for the OP I'd recommend that Motorola with the social apps built into the homescreen. Phones aren't cheap nowadays anyway; you'll be spending anywhere from $200-600 on a device - with a focus on one particular aspect, either way. Go for what you really want.
    Exactly. Blackberries just weren't made for teenagers in mind. I myself am a teen and have both an iPhone and a Blackberry. I use my iPhone a lot more though because of how easy it is to use and the many apps available. Although, unlike most teens, I don't play any of the games on my iPhone. I just use it for social networks, browsing, texting, etc.

Back on topic: I would just get the iPhone, an Android phone, or a Palm Pre. They're all better suited for younger people.
    02-21-10 03:42 PM
    +1 Palm Pre. Gotta love the looks
    02-21-10 03:44 PM
    +1 Palm Pre. Gotta love the looks
    Yeah. That's the one phone I REALLY want. I would probably give up both my Blackberry and iPhone for it.
    02-21-10 03:47 PM
    haha funny you said that, it's been on my mind for a while to try and sell my Storm2 to grab a Palm Pre *waiting for the GSM Plus model*
    02-21-10 03:48 PM
    haha funny you said that, it's been on my mind for a while to try and sell my Storm2 to grab a Palm Pre *waiting for the GSM Plus model*
    Me too. I can't wait until AT&T finally get the webOS devices they said they were getting. Heard some rumors of a T-Mobile Pre Plus, too.
    02-21-10 03:50 PM
    **** yeah. That's the one phone I REALLY want. I would probably give up both my Blackberry and iPhone for it.
    damn... youve gotta love the Pre... giving up an iphone for a Pre...
    just curios, but... youve got an iphone, whats the point on having a blackberry too, as you stated u dont really use it, even though it was free?? change the blackberry for the Pre, that would be a better deal...
    unless youre keeping it for the future...
    02-21-10 03:51 PM
    damn... youve gotta love the Pre... giving up an iphone for a Pre...
    just curios, but... youve got an iphone, whats the point on having a blackberry too, as you stated u dont really use it, even though it was free?? change the blackberry for the Pre, that would be a better deal...
    unless youre keeping it for the future...
    Eh, it was free. Plus, I don't like taking my iPhone to school.

I'm also extremely bored with the iPhone OS now. I've been using it since the iPod touch 2G came out. Nothing new or exciting is happening with it. I'm hoping Apple will do something awesome with firmware 4.0.
    02-21-10 03:54 PM
    Ok, I believe we all have reached a certain point of consensus here.

Palm Pre is the smartphone for teenagers
    02-21-10 04:11 PM
    Haha, if only that were true. All I see nowadays are iPhones. I have only seen ONE Palm Pre in my school so far.
    02-21-10 04:14 PM
    I don't know... stylish looks, exceptional social networking capabilities, touch with a slide out QWERTY... it's like perfection written all over it
    02-21-10 04:17 PM
    I always tell my kids if the cost can be justified, they can have it. So I got my daughter (16) a Storm II a few month ago cause she is learning Java programming in school. Recently, she's been picking up programming the phone.
    02-21-10 06:37 PM
    Although I am not a teenager, I think one would be an okay option for a teenager especially if they are about to enter college. I have my school email hooked up which has proven to be very useful.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-21-10 06:49 PM
    Although I am not a teenager, I think one would be an okay option for a teenager especially if they are about to enter college. I have my school email hooked up which has proven to be very useful.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    It is the best thing to have for a college student. I love having a BB, to get e mail from professors. But in high school i would not have needed it and would of much rather had a iphone for the games.
    02-21-10 10:14 PM
168 ... 567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD