View Poll Results: Which one should i get ?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blackberry

13 61.90%
  • Motorola Droid

3 14.29%
  • Iphone

3 14.29%
  • Palm Pre

2 9.52%
  • others ..

0 0%
    I would definitely get a Blackberry! I am 14 years old (turning 15 soon) and would recommend one to anyone. If your looking for the cool factor its definitely there though i dont really care. I get many compliments on my Storm2 and previously my Storm1 and many people want to play with it. I have a few games on my phone that i paid for and enjoy playing them every once in a while. Mostly on my Blackberry tho i talk to friends on MSN and texting ofc. Many people in my school have Blackberry's and love them also. GET ONE! I wouldnt get one if you have to pay for it though luckily my mom is awesome! BTW my mom owns a itouch i play with which has some pretty cool apps but i still enjoy my Blackberry more.
    02-19-10 11:10 PM
    mmkay, im 18 and am the happy owner of a 8900 with tmobile. i would like to suggest that you have some sort of blackberry smarts before getting this phone. There are soooo many wonderful features on these phones that go to waste because people are not smart enough to use them. Hopefully you are a smart one. good luck and have fun on 3G
    02-19-10 11:15 PM
    If you want a fun (games and apps) phone get an Android. If your friends have BlackBerrys get a BlackBerry(because of BBM). If you're into technology do NOT get a BlackBerry. If you aren't getting a data plan do NOT get a BlackBerry. I am also a teenager. I seriously suggest getting a Google Nexus One.
    02-19-10 11:43 PM
    Just to let you all know...The iPhone has a messenger almost like BBM.
    IDK about you all but I got me a blackberry & an iPod Touch.
    I can enjoy 2 Things at once. Lol
    02-19-10 11:58 PM
    Well, I can see pretty much everybody with a need for organization using Blackberries.

But did you guys notice the main concern is enternaiment and games? Go iPhone. It will deliver that, probably better than any other smartphone.

Now, if you want a tool to help you with your day (school, researchs, organization) and is also able to get you some media (music/video) and games (specially BrickBreaker... thou I suck on it). Consider a Blackberry.

And also consider your house financial situation! :P
    I agree with you 100 percent.
    02-20-10 12:44 AM
    Dang, how times have changed. I'm 27 and got my first cell phone in college@18. 14 and 15 year olds with blackberrys and iphones seem unnecessary to me. IMO, at that age they should have a dumbphone with no data because its way too distracting in class and also very expensive.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-10 02:00 AM
    Dang, how times have changed. I'm 27 and got my first cell phone in college@18. 14 and 15 year olds with blackberrys and iphones seem unnecessary to me. IMO, at that age they should have a dumbphone with no data because its way too distracting in class and also very expensive.

@ Age 13 - 16 I've had a dumb phone.
    http://r.phonedog.com/shared/images/...orola-i205.jpg
    http://r.phonedog.com/shared/images/...orola-i215.jpg
    http://z.about.com/d/cellphones/1/0/...ola-i415-g.jpg
    http://www.mobileburn.com/media/moto...3bp_narrow.jpg
    http://images.fanpop.com/images/imag...99_440_786.jpg

The only one that had data was the motorizr z2 but i could only do status updates. lol
    http://images.techtree.com/ttimages/...motorizrz3.jpg

I'm now 17 & I have a blackberry.
    & All phones I've had even though it's a dumbphone have distracted me.
    02-20-10 02:15 AM
    One thing to remember is that if you choose to go with BlackBerry, you can pick any carrier you like because they all offer BB devices. iPhone is only available through ATT and Droid phones are also usually carrier-specific.

As far as social networking, let's not forget that BlackBerry was created as a messaging and communications device. You have multiple Twitter clients, at least two Facebook clients that I know of (RIM's and Snaptu, which is great to have as an auxiliary btw) and support for all instant messaging services.

For a student, BB offers organizational and productivity tools that may be of use in a school environment. Granted, there is a dearth of games available for BB right now, so if that's a deal-breaker the OP may want to look at a different device. There are games available, don't get me wrong, especially the always-engaging and totally free "Ka-Glom." I's just that you're not likely to see Street Fighter II or Sonic The Hedgehog unless your carrier sells a BB-specific version. IMO it shouldn't matter, if and only if, the OP has a Nintendo DS, PSP, or even (dare I say it) an iPod Touch. I have always found dedicated game systems far more satisfying than a mobile phone platform, but I'd be the first one to say that a game like Tetris on your phone can at times be a life saver.

As far as cool factor, there's a reason the only other phones you ever hear mentioned in the same company as the iPhone are BB devices. Droid phones are definitely an up-and-coming power player, but since I don't have experience using them I shall refrain from weighing in with an opinion there.

As far as cost, any of these devices is going to be a real money pit every month, but with the BlackBerry at least I can say unequivocally that you get what you pay for.

One more thing. iPhones are extremely breakable, but in my experience BlackBerry devices are next to indestructible. And this is one point on which I feel qualified to weigh in, but I must caution you that your mileage may vary.

Last edited by Moon_Juice; 02-20-10 at 07:09 AM. Reason: neatness!
    02-20-10 04:06 AM
    One note about the iPhone-the data network sucks. If you live in a large metro area like SF, LA, or NY, forget it. You will have issues.

Whichever phone you decide on, be sure and check your chosen carrier's coverage maps before you sign up.
    I've seen this happen. A friend of mine tried using his iPhone in Manhattan during the Halloween parade. There were several thousand other iPhone users crammed into the same three-block radius, all trying to use their devices at the same time. Neither he nor anybody else within earshot (because we heard them all complaining) was able to connect to the network for hours.
    02-20-10 07:06 AM
    i live in malaysia
    02-20-10 07:16 AM
    Get the Bold.

Many people are saying that the blackberry service (BIS) is expensive. you don't have to use BIS, if you don't, you can still use your BB for text messaging and calling.

But really, don't use pay as you go or prepaid. THAT is expensive. Just aim for the lowest or second lowest plan from your provider. It helps to buy your phone unlocked from Amazon. Then you can switch provider if you like.

have you considered that if you get a blackberry and you are 15, your classmates might 'rag/bully/tease' you about your phone? image is very important for a teenager. Just get an iphone to blend in, and get a secret BB Bold.
    I don't think people do that anymore.
    Who cares what phone you have.
    If people "bully/tease" you about your phone it's because they can't afford paying the bill.
    If I was you I wouldn't listen to anyone telling you people might bully you just because of a phone.
    02-20-10 07:20 AM
    I don't think people do that anymore.
    Who cares what phone you have.
    If people "bully/tease" you about your phone it's because they can't afford paying the bill.
    If I was you I wouldn't listen to anyone telling you people might bully you just because of a phone.
    Right. The only people ridiculous enough to bully someone about their phone are people who want to steal it.
    02-20-10 07:28 AM
    Most teens want the iPhone, but BBs are perfect for teens. Come on, there's nothing out there quite as good as BBM.
    02-20-10 10:56 AM
    I got a blackberry as my first phone when I was 13.(Curve 8900) I'm 14 now and still using it. Now I'm trying to upgrade to a bold 9700

02-20-10 11:47 AM
    A LOT OF YOU GUYS ARE OVERLOOKING ONE VERY CRITICAL POINT:

BBM is EXCLUSIVELY only for BlackBerry and requires everyone else to use a BlackBerry before communication via BBM is possible. What if your friends have iPhone, Nokia, Motorola, et cetera? BBM is USELESS for teenagers. PERIOD.

TEENAGERS (like me), HOWEVER, USE FACEBOOK / TWITTER / MYSPACE.

Let's be honest, even though there are official clients for all three now, the iPhone has MUCH MUCH MUCH better apps for these social networking sites.

If you want a keyboard get the Nokia N900, it's a slider with touch screen, but even that is KICKASS compared to a BlackBerry when it comes down to the fact that a TEENAGER is going to use it.

I'm a living example, 17, and would much prefer a Nokia or iPhone over a BlackBerry if it was about social networking and stuff. I have a BlackBerry ONLY to show off (no one here uses BlackBerry and people think it's something holy et cetera so I get street cred for carrying one with me).

Just my 2 cents.
    02-20-10 01:02 PM
    I have a BlackBerry ONLY to show off (no one here uses BlackBerry and people think it's something holy et cetera so I get street cred for carrying one with me).

Just my 2 cents.
    Damn teenagers are so immature.

So you are telling me you are using a device that you don't even want because it makes you look cool? Wow.

You are stooping down a level and could have a better device. Honestly, those kids shouldn't think you're cool. If they knew anything about technology they would think you are an *****.

Oh, and you don't gain street cred by carrying a certain phone. You get street cred by carrying a certain amount of "weight", maybe a few tear drops and having a nice 9.
    02-20-10 02:19 PM
    Hmm... for the most part my BlackBerry is a "status symbol". I have a BlackBerry for another reason too, I wanted a smartphone with great PDA capability. Look, I'm kind of the cool geek; nerds in my school get on their knees when they see me and I hang around with the cool crowd. Busy life? You bet. BlackBerry any day over iPhone / Nokia. I'm really addicted to social networking sites though, this is where my BlackBerry lacks a bit (though SocialScope looks very promising and Seesmic for BlackBerry is excellent). I've been keeping an eye on the Palm Pre (Plus) though, it seems like the best fit between busy life and apps. One problem though is the rarity of the GSM model and here we don't have CDMA.

Oh, and I have a nice 9
    02-20-10 02:57 PM

BBM is EXCLUSIVELY only for BlackBerry and requires everyone else to use a BlackBerry before communication via BBM is possible. What if your friends have iPhone, Nokia, Motorola, et cetera? BBM is USELESS for teenagers. PERIOD.
    And what if you're like me, and - granted, I'm not a teenager anymore, but 20 is not that far from 17 - everyone you know has a BB? All of the sudden you're looking pretty stupid when everyone else is using BBM Groups and you're sitting there flinging sheep into space.

Also, if you actually USED your BBM, you would know you can add SMS contacts to your BBM list with OS 5.0. I have 35 BB contacts, 5 iPhone contacts, 15 CrackBerry BB contacts in my BBM. Granted there's a native SMS 'app' but if you're already using BBM for other things, you might as well add people you text message a lot to a program you use all the time anyways.

Boy, that sure is useless! Go pick up your phone and educate yourself a little more, kid.
    Last edited by GlitchZero; 02-20-10 at 03:07 PM.
    02-20-10 03:04 PM
    I know you can add SMS contacts to BBM, but that is really unnecessary as threaded SMS is already there with OS 5.0 and BBM won't route SMS via data, it will use the regular path that SMS messages take when sending one through the Messages app. My monthly plan includes 100 texts free of charge, anything above that will cost money. If I have an option to communicate with people by not using SMS then I have an advantage as my monthly plan includes unlimited data. Therefore Facebook, Twitter and various IMs are for me the better way to communicate with people.

Also, I know no one with a BlackBerry other than me myself. So again for a teenager BBM is useless.
    02-20-10 03:11 PM
    I'm glad you can speak on behalf of every other teenager in the world on the usefulness of an application that, because it doesn't pertain to your particular situation, is useless.

Some of us have unlimited SMS so we can communicate with other phones more than 100 times a month.

Also, I'm willing to put $200 bucks up on PayPal that the OP is definitely not in the same boat as you as far as knowing no one with a BB in her life.
    02-20-10 03:14 PM
    I'm glad you can speak on behalf of every other teenager in the world on the usefulness of an application that, because it doesn't pertain to your particular situation, is useless.

Some of us have unlimited SMS so we can communicate with other phones more than 100 times a month.

Also, I'm willing to put $200 bucks up on PayPal that the OP is definitely not in the same boat as you as far as knowing no one with a BB in her life.
    Look I'm not speaking on behalf of everyone, I did exaggerate a bit. I'm sorry for that and I have only best intentions to continue this discussion in a civilized manner.

I'm not going as far as saying it is a fact, let geographical and social situations determine this, but BlackBerry is more for adults. I mean that it was not designed from the start to be used by teenagers. Ok, no phone probably is, but you must admit that the iPhone is very close in this regard.

If going back to CrackBerry Kevins Hierarchy of Smartphone Needs | CrackBerry.com, you will see that connectivity, compatibility and security has the most priority of all, followed by daily usability and performance. Now if you flip this figure around you will have an app for everything and features for everyday life as the most important points in the hierarchy. What is interesting is that no matter how you flip the figure around, you will always end up with communication and productivity in the middle. I will emphasize the word communication, because I feel it could actually be a section of its own.

Now with that preface let me continue. We teenagers are immature and often focus on things like trying to fit in a certain group in school et cetera. We prioritize things differently compared to adults. If I didn't knew better this probably has been documented in the past as well. Teenagers like me struggle daily to keep a good balance between school and life (and for some, a job). Having a busy life like ours means less time to interact with certain people in person and more stuff to do and handle (and we need to look good when doing things, hence the need to boost our coolness factor ).

A mobile device should be more than anything else, a communication device. BlackBerry Messenger is one piece of excellent software, I admit that, and it connects hundreds if not millions of people around the world daily, every hour, every minute. For these people it is an important application they probably couldn't live without.

Facebook, Twitter and to a lesser extent MySpace, are preferred by teenagers for several things. I won't go now in detail as to why it is like this, but it is like this, get used to it. What I know is that I can communicate with my school mates and friends. That is the most important point to me.

Now regardless of which networks I have an account to, my needs may lean towards the an app for everything category instead of connectivity, compatibility and security category. Why this I can't tell you either, get used to it too (did I say that we are immature?)

BlackBerry certainly is an excellent platform for communication, but doesn't necessarily fill in the gap between communication and productivity. That "gap" is entertainment and fun. Although there are a handful of great games and good media capabilities for the BlackBerry platform, they are nowhere close to what the iPhone can deliver.

Yes, we need those fart apps. Stuff that seems useless to adults are kind of important to us. We need to fool around and do useless stuff. One Facebook group describes it best: "old enough to know it's a bad idea, young enough not to care". That particular line describes me and my friends almost completely.

To us a mobile phone is something we use to throw around, forget in places we have forgot we were in (Baileys anyone? ) and call our best friends whenever we are depressed.

For a teenager a BlackBerry is a good choice, but there are so many other phones out there that can be a better choice. I say yes and no, a BlackBerry is suitable and at the same time not for a teenager. Depends, but often we buy a mobile phone for looks and because they somehow "define" us.

My BlackBerry... maybe I've been a bit harsh, it's not a status symbol. It's my friend. A best friend forever <3.
    Last edited by shinkodachi; 02-20-10 at 03:50 PM.
    02-20-10 03:45 PM
    Hmm... for the most part my BlackBerry is a "status symbol". I have a BlackBerry for another reason too, I wanted a smartphone with great PDA capability. Look, I'm kind of the cool geek; nerds in my school get on their knees when they see me and I hang around with the cool crowd. Busy life? You bet. BlackBerry any day over iPhone / Nokia. I'm really addicted to social networking sites though, this is where my BlackBerry lacks a bit (though SocialScope looks very promising and Seesmic for BlackBerry is excellent). I've been keeping an eye on the Palm Pre (Plus) though, it seems like the best fit between busy life and apps. One problem though is the rarity of the GSM model and here we don't have CDMA.

Oh, and I have a nice 9
    So you are the cool "geek"? Any geek with half a brain would tell you java is not cool. But they offer java classes in high school so I guess you get brownie points for that.

I highly doubts kids are drooling and bowing on their knees for you over a BB. iPhone, WebOS, Android, Maemo and Seven Series...but the BB OS? LOL. You sure the "geeks" and "nerds" at your school aren't jocks? Actually no one should be bowing down over a phone, unless you live in a third world country where no one has ever seen one.

Imagine if you had a Linux device... The kids would think you are a holy prophet.

I also like knowing you are 17 and have a pistol. Maybe that's why they bow down.
    02-20-10 04:29 PM
    I have had a BB since I was a teenager. It's been of great use to me. I don't think you can say for sure who the BB is "of use" to. That's just silly. We all have different needs/preferences/communication methods.

02-20-10 04:48 PM
    Actually I've got several friends with Android phones, but they ain't hanging with the cool crowd. I do and am a nerd (and hey I got maximum points in the Java programming exam!) that's why nerds bow to me when they see me. Haha

BlackBerry here is a rarity, people are like "oh wow how much did that cost" when they see me typing away on my Storm2 xD

Ohhh but hey why didn't you reply to my post above yours, there was really no need to bring up this one again :S I was in a bad mood when I wrote the post you quoted ffs

edit: this was directed @avt123
    02-20-10 04:52 PM

TEENAGERS (like me), HOWEVER, USE FACEBOOK / TWITTER / MYSPACE.

Let's be honest, even though there are official clients for all three now, the iPhone has MUCH MUCH MUCH better apps for these social networking sites.

If you want a keyboard get the Nokia N900, it's a slider with touch screen, but even that is KICKASS compared to a BlackBerry when it comes down to the fact that a TEENAGER is going to use it.

I'm a living example, 17, and would much prefer a Nokia or iPhone over a BlackBerry if it was about social networking and stuff. I have a BlackBerry ONLY to show off (no one here uses BlackBerry and people think it's something holy et cetera so I get street cred for carrying one with me).

Just my 2 cents.
    Euh sorry but I use BB since I am 16( now 20) and I always hated i****(kidding)... Only cause I think the apps are useless for me. Yeah I agree, facebook is better on the iPhone. But I much prefer bb to text and mail.

I use BBM everyday since the first day, may be useless for you but can be cool sor a lot of people.

I hate earing someone who's saying that X thing is crap only because it not match his needs...
    02-20-10 04:55 PM
168 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD