In 2308 you'll all be microchipped and nobody will need phones.

Or in the words of Doc Brown, "Phones?! Where we're going we don't need phones!"
    Are we talking mental telepathy here? If so I am going to need some safeguards to protect my, uh, entertainment downloads.
    04-22-10 12:43 PM
    Let *me* point out the errors in some of your assertions about an unreleased product

1. Until it is released and demonstrated to work in the hands of real users, it is Vaporware.
    2. Probably about the only true statement. It is widely reported that the iPhone responsible for a disproportionate amount of network congestion and dropped calls, so maybe you are just lucky.
    3. A matter of user opinion and preference.
    4. Speculation, and that level of pixel resolution is pretty much redundant unless you examine the screen with a magnifier.
    5. Who cares how the storage is connected? The bottom line is Does it work, and can I retrieve the content to my PC easily?
    If you think the Browser, app selection, or UI of the BBOS beats the iPhone you must have you're head in the sand.
    04-22-10 12:46 PM
    Let *me* point out the errors in some of your assertions about an unreleased product

1. Until it is released and demonstrated to work in the hands of real users, it is Vaporware.
    2. Probably about the only true statement. It is widely reported that the iPhone responsible for a disproportionate amount of network congestion and dropped calls, so maybe you are just lucky.
    3. A matter of user opinion and preference.
    4. Speculation, and that level of pixel resolution is pretty much redundant unless you examine the screen with a magnifier.
    5. Who cares how the storage is connected? The bottom line is Does it work, and can I retrieve the content to my PC easily?
    +10 *thumbs up*

removable memory card is the most important thing for file sharing ever.
    04-22-10 12:52 PM
    If you think the Browser, app selection, or UI of the BBOS beats the iPhone you must have you're head in the sand.
    Different users have different requirements and expectations. I will take robust functionality and efficient use of data any time in preference to pretty and cult following.

It is in any case pointless to speculate comparison between an apple device that may be released later this year, and RIM devices which have been in the hands of users for at least several months. It is no more relevant than a comparison between a 2009 BMW and a 2011 Lexus.
    04-22-10 12:52 PM
    You do realize that resolution at these screen sizes becomes irrevelent at more that a few inches away.
    No it doesn't. Big resolution gives you more choices in displaying data and it gives you a sharper image.

Have you ever studied how our eyes percieve resolution and how it correlates with distance?
    That's how I spend my time when I'm not bursting iFanboys' bubbles

So how do I run 3,4, or 5 apps at once? How am I doing that? Explain that for me.
    You don't. It only seems like that to you because you don't understand what multitasking is. When the OS truly manages multiple concurrent threads and apps can access all systems services in any thread, then you have multitasking.

Again, why the **** would I want someone elses music. In horrible MP3 quality at that. I'll keep my Apple Lossless library on my iPhone, for me, that are ripped from my CD's.
    I can play OGG, Vorbis, FLAC, etc. on my cheap Nokia. What do I need a proprietary codec like Apple Lossless for when I have so many better choices? I can move my cards between phones.

Again........we have the BEST app selection period. Nothing can compete with the number and quality of apps the iPhone has available in the App Store. Not Android. Nothing can.
    You got me there, partially. I mean you are right that BB is seriously behind in fart apps and other similar "enterprise must-haves". Your selection of games makes all us business BB users feel so left out

Funny though, I can run both Opera Mini and Opera Mobile on my Nokia, along with 4 other browsers. I have Nimbuzz and Fring and I can browse the web, do video calls, email, and SMS at the same time. I can even watch flash videos or use flash e-commerce websites. I can send pics from my 3.2 Megapixel camera. How come you guys pay so much and you don't have all that stuff and your camera is only 2 MP?

There's an article out with a guy running 66 apps open on his Nokia (true multitasking). Let's see you guys try that.
    04-22-10 12:58 PM
    Seeing that it's already been held, taken apart, and 4.0 has already been torn apart it's pretty safe to start making comparisons.
    04-22-10 12:59 PM
    Different users have different requirements and expectations. I will take robust functionality and efficient use of data any time in preference to pretty and cult following.
    That's a good distillation of the issue.

It is in any case pointless to speculate comparison between an apple device that may be released later this year, and RIM devices which have been in the hands of users for at least several months. It is no more relevant than a comparison between a 2009 BMW and a 2011 Lexus.
    That's a fundamental misunderstanding of the iFanboy psyche. Don't you realize, once iSteve says something it must be true?
    04-22-10 01:02 PM
    No it doesn't. Big resolution gives you more choices in displaying data and it gives you a sharper image.

Yes it does. Read.

That's how I spend my time when I'm not bursting iFanboys' bubbles

You don't. It only seems like that to you because you don't understand what multitasking is. When the OS truly manages multiple concurrent threads and apps can access all systems services in any thread, then you have multitasking.

So the thee apps running at once isnt happening? Im making that up?

I can play OGG, Vorbis, FLAC, etc. on my cheap Nokia. What do I need a proprietary codec like Apple Lossless for when I have so many better choices? I can move my cards between phones.

Apple Lossless is part of iTunes. The SQ is fantastic with bitrates on 1200 kbps on average. It recognizes when two songs are not supposed to have a gap and should flow together, automatically. I get a new iPhone, I plug it in and sync it. Done.

You got me there, partially. I mean you are right that BB is seriously behind in fart apps and other similar "enterprise must-haves". Your selection of games makes all us business BB users feel so left out

Funny though, I can run both Opera Mini and Opera Mobile on my Nokia, along with 4 other browsers. I have Nimbuzz and Fring and I can browse the web, do video calls, email, and SMS at the same time. I can even watch flash videos or use flash e-commerce websites. I can send pics from my 3.2 Megapixel camera. How come you guys pay so much and you don't have all that stuff and your camera is only 2 MP?

There's an article out with a guy running 66 apps open on his Nokia (true multitasking). Let's see you guys try that.

Why do I need 66 apps running at once? No one does, that's just a proof of concept. Yup the App Store is ALL fart apps, nothing useful in there at all. Have you ever even used the App Store? Optics play more of a roll in image quality that a MP rating.
    10char....
    Last edited by Totalimmortal363; 04-22-10 at 01:25 PM.
    04-22-10 01:13 PM
    'zackally. Just like every other thread, almost regardless of topic, degrades to the same thing and as you mentioned, "it won't phase anyone." I'm very confused as to why I even bother coming here anymore. I could care less what anyone thinks is better, I only come there to either a. learn something new about generic technology (i.e., the bandwidth discussion going on in a couple of threads); b. resolve an issue with my own phone; c. learn about some new app or trick; and, d. help someone else out when they have an issue. Other than that, I left the schoolyard 40 years ago, I have no desire to return. For today's children, the internet has become the new playground.

I was going to point out the obvious outcome of this thread would be iPhone vs. BB but why bother? It wouldn't phase anyone anyhow.

And the Sony Ericsson Satio is better than iPhone and most BB's any day.
    04-22-10 01:15 PM
    I feel a mod coming here soon
    04-22-10 01:19 PM
    At least one mod is already reading. I didn't notice any major problems, all the exchanges seem to be civil and within the rules even though users have conflicting opinions about the hardware. (or should I say "about the manufacturing companies"?)
    04-22-10 01:24 PM
    Tony: As another professional photographer, I know that there is some truth to what you say. Still, there are plenty of independent reviews that are honest and forthright with their blessings and their criticisms. It's just up to the reader to determine who's being honest and who's not. In the past year, my favorite photography forum, which includes in-depth reviews as well as forum posts, was sold out to a huge retail congolmorate. The same people still run the site, they're just under a large umbrella. Thus far, I've seen no changes to their blogs/reviews, they call 'em as they see 'em and I suspect they'll stay that way. Still there are always those that say things that you simply KNOW is only because they have their hand out.

Happens in the photobiz constanstly with their reviews, etc. the more you advertise the more "in depth" review you get.

Personally, I think the smartphone round robin is the best thing the CB, PC, AC and WM teams came up with.
    04-22-10 01:26 PM
    Great another iPhone vs. BB thread.
    04-22-10 01:29 PM
    At least one mod is already reading. I didn't notice any major problems, all the exchanges seem to be civil and within the rules even though users have conflicting opinions about the hardware. (or should I say "about the manufacturing companies"?)
    so far....... I always anticipate threads going south fast
    04-22-10 01:31 PM
    so far....... I always anticipate threads going south fast
    I gotta wonder about this expression, does it offend anyone from the south at all?
    04-22-10 01:57 PM
    There is no "BEST" smartphone, the only thing that matters is what fits your needs "BEST".

I read this whole thread, and it was quite entertaining. All the iPhone fans, touting that they can multitask, and that they have real push support... Screen resoloution came up, that's one I hadn't seen in a while, and there is even a strong Nokia presence! Certainly a great read... here's my take:

I'll focus on iPhone and BlackBerry, since this is the turn this thread has taken.

There is no doubt that the iPhone is a fantastic multimedia device. Their app store is certainly head an shoulders above the Android Market, BB Appworld, and Nokia Ovi store as far as the quantity of apps that are available for it. The UI runs smooth as butter, and is very straightforward (blessing and curse). Fantastic for web browsing, watching videos, etc. Here's my problem with the iPhone, it's a bandwith MONSTER, and if you want any sembelance of battery life you have to shut off almost every available service on your device. WiFi, Bluetooth, Push, no one I know with an iPhone leaves those services on, if they did their battery life would suck worse than it normally does. Apple even said the reason the iPhone doesn't multitask is because it would be a killer on battery life.
    I've never heard of an iPhone that can multitask. If you're iPhone can run multiple 3rd party apps at the same time, I'd like to know how, and I'd like you to show me. Play Pandora radio for me and open up Facebook at the same time, keep that open too, and send me an e-mail, then go back to Pandora and change the song. It doesn't happen on the iPhone.
    And also, it's not really push support if your phone is polling your e-mail server every 15, 30, or 45 minutes to see if you have messages. I think the term "Push" gets used too loosely now a days.
    The other issue with the iPhone is it's too locked down. The UI on the iPhone is always going to look the way it does, there is no way to change it, unless you jailbreak it (which I laugh at every time I hear). You can ONLY download apps from the iTunes app store, which like I said before has a great selection of apps, but if it's not there you're SOL. With the iPhone you are only allowed to do only what's approved by daddy Apple, nothing more. And for the record, Jailbreaking a phone is not a valid arguement for allowing it to download apps from somewhere else. It's ridiculous to think that you should be forced to hack your device to make it useable, it's BS and a copout.

That doesn't mean that the BlackBerry isn't without fault. It's web browser is not very good, YouTube videos really don't look all that nice on my BB, even with the nice Tour screen (even with higher resoloution than the iPhone's). It's just not as good of a multimedia device as the iPhone, plain and simple. It's a fantastic messaging phone. I get real time delivery of my e-mail, real time delivery of Facebook notifications, I can multitask EVERY ONE of the applications on my device (even though I wouldn't it's nice to know that I can). I have push service all day long, Bluetooth and GPS on all day long, and when I go to bed at night I've got more than 50% of my battery left. Phone comes off the charger at 6:00am, goes on the charger at 11:00pm. Hands down, the BlackBerry OS, while dated compared to newer OS's, is highly efficient, and built for heavy use.

For me, BlackBerry is the perfect fit. I don't need a great web browser, the native BB browser does what I require. I want a great messaging device, period, and in my opinion BlackBerry has the best platform for messaging. If you love your Android, Palm, iPhone, then that's great, there's nothing wrong with that, it's obviously the BEST for you!
    04-22-10 02:25 PM
    I don't have a computer. I just use my bb8900 for Everthing. I get loads of emails and attatchments and Nothing compares to a bb. Is solid and reliable. Is simple to use-thanks to these forums. If you want apps-then iphone is the one. But for work, emails -bb is king. There is no contest. Maybe it is a 'bit stale' but I want reliability. Apps don't bother me. I have music on my bb, emails and functions are solid. My take. I hope it helps

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-22-10 03:31 PM
    You are the growing trend (using your phone for "everything), though for the life of me, I can't imagine trying to do that, lol. My phone is an intermediary device...get an email from a client while I'm out of my home office, either call or respond back to them, take phone calls and surf the net during idle time. Other than that, I need REAL ESTATE (i.e., my 32" calibrated monitor on my home desk) to do spreadsheets, Photoshop, even write documents...I really do think it's a generational thing, I'm an old f*rt.

I don't have a computer. I just use my bb8900 for Everthing. I get loads of emails and attatchments and Nothing compares to a bb. Is solid and reliable. Is simple to use-thanks to these forums. If you want apps-then iphone is the one. But for work, emails -bb is king. There is no contest. Maybe it is a 'bit stale' but I want reliability. Apps don't bother me. I have music on my bb, emails and functions are solid. My take. I hope it helps

04-22-10 04:15 PM
    I created the post to point out a few features that I still like about my BlackBerry. I also pointed out that the Android and iPhone are really great devices that I'm reading up on and could be something I would be interested in getting. I also mentioned a few of their flaws in reference to things I like to do on my BlackBerry that I'm unwilling to give up at the moment.
    I was hoping that most of the replies would be from my beloved CrackBerry addicts pointing out things they like about their device, which would make it the best smart phone in their opinion.
    Then here comes the iPhone bashers. We all know that the iPhone is a great device. You don't have to tell us 50 million times. If I didn't like the iPhone I wouldn't be contemplating on whether I should jump ship from my BlackBerry.
    It's funny that those that think the iPhone rules always have something to say on a site that's geared for BlackBerry users. I'm sure there are tons of iPhone forums out there. For them to keep sticking around says a lot about CrackBerry.com and the BlackBerry itself. It's addictive.
    Last edited by cdf3; 04-22-10 at 04:39 PM.
    04-22-10 04:36 PM
    It all comes down to what is best for each individual, period...rather it is an iPhone, BB or an Andriod device or **** even dumb phones...

I will say without question the iPhone fanboi's are the most defensive people I have come across. Stop getting so defensive. For crying out loud, you are on a BB forum. What is funny is you will defend a "phone" like it is your life in jeopardy, lol!

04-22-10 07:48 PM
    Unfortunately, this is like trying to say "Who makes a better car: GM, Ford, Chrysler or Toyot......" er, ok, forget that last one . Anyway, the point is that each device/OS has it's own merits. There IS no "Best" because what's best for one is not best for another. I know that by using BB, I'm giving up on certain features/abilities and I'm also gaining some. It's ALL a compromise based on your own needs. I don't worry what the pundits say, I don't worry about claims of "the earth is falling" I only worry if my device can't do what I need it to do.

Yesterday, I met a business client for lunch. He had his iPhone and I had my Storm. After we discussed our business, his phone rang and I watched him do his thing as he took the call. Afterwards, I had a question about his phone and we got in to the proverbial discussion. There's some neat features to his phone and he was very amazed about some of the features on my phone (we're both a bit too mature to get into a "mine is better than yours" discussion, we were simply comparing the merits of each device.

I don't understand the whole "which is better" debate. If you removed all of the flame wars on CB and even the somewhat even-handed comparisons, I'll bet the size of this site would shrink by half. Why do people worry so much?

Keep in mind that having better technical specs does not automatically make something a better phone (again, have to define "better"). You might as well attempt to say that "Polo shirts are better than button down shirts." Nobody will win-or lose--that argument.
    A Voice of Reason... I feel exactly the same. I didn't buy a BlackBerry to compete with people regarding which devices were better. I bought a BlackBerry because I need to keep all of my information (calendar, contacts, e-mail, SMS, lists, things to do) in one place. If you can watch a movie on your iPhone, that's wonderful, that's just not what is important to me as a user.
    04-22-10 11:11 PM
    A Voice of Reason... I feel exactly the same. I didn't buy a BlackBerry to compete with people regarding which devices were better. I bought a BlackBerry because I need to keep all of my information (calendar, contacts, e-mail, SMS, lists, things to do) in one place. If you can watch a movie on your iPhone, that's wonderful, that's just not what is important to me as a user.
    This right here, is the answer.
    04-22-10 11:27 PM
    " Like a bunch of parrots". Hhahhahah

04-23-10 01:00 AM
    I've noticed, basically if your looking into touchscreen type smartphones, the battery life will always suck. Unless the day the cellphone peeps bulk up their energy hungry phones with giant 1700 mah+ batteries. I just consider touch screens as just another type of phone and not really conventional new gen tech that will defeat the rest of the market of non-touchscreen, physical keyboarded phones.

To me the 9700 sounds like the best phone you could get all and all. Unless your into the media and video browsing experience.

Lets face it, in my life I have no need to whip out my iphone and watch a video for a few minutes before putting it back in my pocket. The games would really only be played whenever I'm bored and theres practically nothing else to do. Like waiting in line perhaps or dentist appointment. Basically 9700 can do videos, browsing, e-mail, minus the "awesome" iphone games and giant screen for optimum browsing which isn't much to give up.

Basically I'd rather use a laptop when at home for the bigger screen and if you really love the apps on the iPhone, buy an ipod touch. I mean I seriously don't have many friends with iPhone so, theres no transferring website links or pretty much the multi-media stuff iPhone are portraying on tv.

That's just my 2 cents.
    04-23-10 03:09 PM
    Tuanyboy: I uderstand what you're saying and why, which is great that RIM has so many models to choose from. My reasons for choosing a Storm over any other BB, was the opposite of yours. I'm a photographer and I like the idea of being able to carry samples of my work on my phone and then provide instant viewing to any potentially interested client. It works great for that purpose.

Also, I hate the tiny keys on any of the physical keyboard devices I've messed with, the touchscreen just seems so much easier for me to type on and I've become quite fast. Finally, as an "old fart" I appreciate seeing larger text!
    04-23-10 04:35 PM
84 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD