Is BlackBerry still the best smart phone out?

I ask that question to myself over and over again. I've read numerous reviews and posts claiming that the BlackBerry OS is getting stale, and that other smart phones, like the IPhone and Android, blows BlackBerry out the water. It seems that Android and iPhone is the way to go today it seems. This is my speculation based on what I've been reading. After a while, I'm beginning to wonder is the BlackBerry lagging behind the others. We all claim the BlackBerry OS is dated, yet the iPhone just got copy and paste last year, and will be getting multitasking this year. They�re acting as though they�ve coming up with revolutionary concepts, yet BlackBerry has always had those features. The Android phones are nice, and I've had a chance to play with them. They do a lot of things well, yet the copy and paste feature on them isn't greatest. I do a lot of copying and pasting. Especially from Emails. Android lacks in being able to copy and paste from Emails.

I was ready to pre-order the HT Incredible, but decided to do a pro's and con's list. After doing my list the BlackBerry has more pro's than the Incredible.My wife also has a BlackBerry so it�s a great way of staying on task with our busy schedules. I�m able to send dates from my Calendar by sending calendar invites to her, and she is able to do the same. We can forward contacts from our address books to one another. We also use send messages throughout the day with BlackBerry Messenger. With BBM, we�re able to tell if the message was delivered, as well as being read.

I�m starting to feel like I�m in the stone ages based on the many reviews and posts that I read about BlackBerry these days. I wonder if the many posts that are praising the other iPhone and Android phones, are actually high school and college students that want the latest and the greatest, and wanting a phone that�s great at multimedia, games, and social networking. I enjoy those things as well, but I know that my BlackBerry does a great job with creating and editing Excel Spreadsheets and MS Word documents, which I use on a daily basis.

I�m still unsure if I may jump ship to the HTC Incredible. It�s a great phone, but I�m still not sure if I can do things as quickly as I can on my BlackBerry.I�m starting to hear that the Incredible battery life isn�t the greatest, and that it�s screen is subpar. I like the widgets with the Sense UI, but I hear that those can drain the batter as well. If I have to disable some of the widgets in order to conserve battery power, then I�d just have a phone that has pretty icons to look at, while not being able to use the phone to it�s full potential.

Decisions, decisions��.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by cdf3; 04-22-10 at 10:27 AM.
    04-22-10 10:25 AM
    Figure out what phone has the most of what you need and go with it, it's really not a tough choice. If it takes longer than 1 minute to decide then you're over thinking the whole thing.
    04-22-10 10:29 AM
    best in e-mail and business use, BY FAR

best in apps or browser... no, not yet, but will get there
    04-22-10 10:30 AM
    I�m starting to feel like I�m in the stone ages based on the many reviews and posts that I read about BlackBerry these days. I wonder if the many posts that are praising the other iPhone and Android phones, are actually high school and college students that want the latest and the greatest, and wanting a phone that�s great at multimedia, games, and social networking. I enjoy those things as well, but I know that my BlackBerry does a great job with creating and editing Excel Spreadsheets and MS Word documents, which I use on a daily basis.
    You're close. Many of the reviews are "sponsored" by the manufacturers, either by providing free hardware and not asking for return, or (particularly common from my days in the computer industry) tied to contracts for advertising space - you want the advertising revenue? How about we get a slot in the next review, and we can think about the ads when we read the review? ... Or the editor points out to the reviewer that "we don't want to lose the ABC advertising, so don't be too critical..."

Corrupt? Yes, but it still happens.
    04-22-10 10:40 AM
    I know this is very trivial, but I tend to like the "Sent via BlackBerry" signature for Emails I send out from my phone. Looks more professional than "Sent via iPhone" or "Sent via Incredible"

04-22-10 10:48 AM
    Serious office and business use, stick to a berry.

Recreation use = iPhone = wins hands down cos of their browser and OS.
    04-22-10 11:13 AM
    If your phone is a work horse. Stick with the BB. I recently was in. Meeting with some execs. 23 of us were in the room.
    10 blackberries, 2 iphones and the 6 nokia Eseries and an N97.
    The ceo of the group was not pleased when the lady pulled out her iphone to check her email. All of us were already had nokias and bbs on the desk blackberry doing the same. He had a frown on his face and she noticed and told him she was just checking her email. His frown went away.

I realise that execs, especially the powerful ones that can make or break your christmas bonus, don't much like the iphone in meetings. They first think its an ipod. The other guy had his iphone in an otter box so it didn't look like an iphone and the boss didn't notice. I suspect he thought because it was black it was a professional device.
    Simply put its harder to get respect from some execs if you pull out a iphone to take their contact info or any other data that's relevant to business.

I know google execs that preffer to us bb instead if their own offerings.
    Bb has a pro image that is not going anywhere soon.

Iphone has a teenebopper image that I think apple will find a way to change.

Just what I have seen so far.

04-22-10 11:13 AM
    In otherwords it may be old, but the bb is respeted by the people that control the money and sign my cheques and these money gods are very focused on what looks corporate and it can affect you if you encounter a ******* ceo that thinks lowly of you because you using an iphone so you won't get that promotion because "you corporate image needs to be tuned"
    I have seen it happen. In times like these I don't want to upset rich clients and stuffy managers. My bills need to be payed. They make the rules of the game and I have to play it or struggle.

04-22-10 11:18 AM
    BB is the best smartphone, it doesn't have to be modern to be the best.

Save the glamour and flash for the iPhone. Well not the flash, it won't work on iPhone
    04-22-10 11:47 AM
    If your phone is a work horse. Stick with the BB. I recently was in. Meeting with some execs. 23 of us were in the room.
    10 blackberries, 2 iphones and the 6 nokia Eseries and an N97.
    The ceo of the group was not pleased when the lady pulled out her iphone to check her email. All of us were already had nokias and bbs on the desk blackberry doing the same. He had a frown on his face and she noticed and told him she was just checking her email. His frown went away.

I realise that execs, especially the powerful ones that can make or break your christmas bonus, don't much like the iphone in meetings. They first think its an ipod. The other guy had his iphone in an otter box so it didn't look like an iphone and the boss didn't notice. I suspect he thought because it was black it was a professional device.
    Simply put its harder to get respect from some execs if you pull out a iphone to take their contact info or any other data that's relevant to business.

I know google execs that preffer to us bb instead if their own offerings.
    Bb has a pro image that is not going anywhere soon.

Iphone has a teenebopper image that I think apple will find a way to change.

Just what I have seen so far.

In otherwords it may be old, but the bb is respeted by the people that control the money and sign my cheques and these money gods are very focused on what looks corporate and it can affect you if you encounter a ******* ceo that thinks lowly of you because you using an iphone so you won't get that promotion because "you corporate image needs to be tuned"
    I have seen it happen. In times like these I don't want to upset rich clients and stuffy managers. My bills need to be payed. They make the rules of the game and I have to play it or struggle.

Ha. I'll use whatever device I see fit, and the execs of my company can seriously shove it in thier *** if they want to look down their nose at me for it.

Back on topic, for email RIM is hard to beat. No arguments from me about that.

When it comes to just about everything else, the BBOS just falls behind. Browser, apps, ease of use, hardware specs.
    04-22-10 11:54 AM
    RIM hardware is plenty good. So good you can even multitask without problems. Apple can't multitask and it won't ever. When they try their smoke-and-mirrors multitasking the batteries will die and you guys will be out of luck.

RIM's radios are better than Apple's radios. No dropped calls on BB, on iPhone it's "what, what, hello are you there bzzzzzzzzzzzz"

When it comes to everything you need a smartphone for, BB rules.

If you just want a glorified iPod that is a half-baked phone, or if you want a low-resolution screen to watch movies on, I guess iPhone is ok. What's your screen resolution again? How come it's not 640x360 like my cheap Nokia? Such a huge brick of a device and such poor screen resolution? How come? I thought you said Apple has such great hardware. Like a bunch of parrots.

What about your memory card options? Oh, I forgot, you can't use one.

Here's a great site for downloading apps...oh I forgot, you need iJobs' permission to download apps.

iPhone = toy
    Apple = control freaks
    /end

04-22-10 12:04 PM
    Unfortunately, this is like trying to say "Who makes a better car: GM, Ford, Chrysler or Toyot......" er, ok, forget that last one . Anyway, the point is that each device/OS has it's own merits. There IS no "Best" because what's best for one is not best for another. I know that by using BB, I'm giving up on certain features/abilities and I'm also gaining some. It's ALL a compromise based on your own needs. I don't worry what the pundits say, I don't worry about claims of "the earth is falling" I only worry if my device can't do what I need it to do.

Yesterday, I met a business client for lunch. He had his iPhone and I had my Storm. After we discussed our business, his phone rang and I watched him do his thing as he took the call. Afterwards, I had a question about his phone and we got in to the proverbial discussion. There's some neat features to his phone and he was very amazed about some of the features on my phone (we're both a bit too mature to get into a "mine is better than yours" discussion, we were simply comparing the merits of each device.

I don't understand the whole "which is better" debate. If you removed all of the flame wars on CB and even the somewhat even-handed comparisons, I'll bet the size of this site would shrink by half. Why do people worry so much?

Keep in mind that having better technical specs does not automatically make something a better phone (again, have to define "better"). You might as well attempt to say that "Polo shirts are better than button down shirts." Nobody will win-or lose--that argument.
    04-22-10 12:07 PM
    I was going to point out the obvious outcome of this thread would be iPhone vs. BB but why bother? It wouldn't phase anyone anyhow.

And the Sony Ericsson Satio is better than iPhone and most BB's any day.
    04-22-10 12:08 PM
    Watching a movie is far more enjoyable on the larger screen of my iPhone. The audio sync's with the video, a novel concept as well. All with less steps to convert and sync to my device.

I multitask with my 3G on 3.1.2, quite well in fact. Might want to do some homework before you make claims you can't back up. The 4.0 OS Multitasking will work exactly as it was designed, giving the proper API's to allow apps to carry out their core function in the backround. Again, homework.

I wont argue the cell radio point, the iPhone could be a better phone. Period.

Why would we need a memory card when we have 16+ GB's of on-board storage, that we can actually store AND run apps on. Might even be looking at 80+ GB's soon. RIM just stepped it up to 512MB's. Wow.

As far as apps go, why would I need or want to go to a website for apps when I have the best selection of apps all in one place, The App Store. On top of that, a jailbroken device gets access to two other app stores, Cydia and Rock.
    04-22-10 12:17 PM
    A pair of soup cans and a long piece of string is better than an iPhone

I thought the Satio got pulled from the market?
    04-22-10 12:18 PM
    Let me point out all that is false in the post below:

1. iPhone OS 4.0 will have multitasking and it will not have a significant negative affect the battery life as proven on test units that are already in developers' hands.

2. Dropped calls are due to the carrier and not the hardware. My iPhone pretty much always has 5 bars of service.

3. BB does not rule in any category. iPhone beats it handily in every catergory except security. Even email is better on iPhone becuase of the UI (and yes, there is push email support).

4. The upcoming 4th gen iPhone will have a screen that will crush anything else on the market (reportedly 960x640). And who cares what your screen res is when the dimensions are tiny like on any BB other than the Storm or 9000?

5. Who needs a memory card when there is 16-64MB built in (versus a paltry 256K on most BBs).

Face it - BB is no longer the smartphone of choice unless you are a corporate or government employee.
    RIM hardware is plenty good. So good you can even multitask without problems. Apple can't multitask and it won't ever. When they try their smoke-and-mirrors multitasking the batteries will die and you guys will be out of luck.

RIM's radios are better than Apple's radios. No dropped calls on BB, on iPhone it's "what, what, hello are you there bzzzzzzzzzzzz"

When it comes to everything you need a smartphone for, BB rules.

If you just want a glorified iPod that is a half-baked phone, or if you want a low-resolution screen to watch movies on, I guess iPhone is ok. What's your screen resolution again? How come it's not 640x360 like my cheap Nokia? Such a huge brick of a device and such poor screen resolution? How come? I thought you said Apple has such great hardware. Like a bunch of parrots.

What about your memory card options? Oh, I forgot, you can't use one.

Here's a great site for downloading apps...oh I forgot, you need iJobs' permission to download apps.

iPhone = toy
    Apple = control freaks
    /end

04-22-10 12:21 PM
    A pair of soup cans and a long piece of string is better than an iPhone

I thought the Satio got pulled from the market?
    How should I know, I am just being as absurd as anyone that debates iPhone vs. BB.

In fact the best all around phone hands down is that one coming out in 2308, it can do all sorts of things your phones can't and isn't made by Apple. It's made by some future company that I control with my mind.

So there.
    04-22-10 12:22 PM
    You're close. Many of the reviews are "sponsored" by the manufacturers, either by providing free hardware and not asking for return, or (particularly common from my days in the computer industry) tied to contracts for advertising space - you want the advertising revenue? How about we get a slot in the next review, and we can think about the ads when we read the review? ... Or the editor points out to the reviewer that "we don't want to lose the ABC advertising, so don't be too critical..."

Corrupt? Yes, but it still happens.
    Happens in the photobiz constanstly with their reviews, etc. the more you advertise the more "in depth" review you get.

Personally, I think the smartphone round robin is the best thing the CB, PC, AC and WM teams came up with.
    04-22-10 12:23 PM
    Watching a movie is far more enjoyable on the larger screen of my iPhone. The audio sync's with the video, a novel concept as well. All with less steps to convert and sync to my device.
    If that's the yardstick, then my Nokia 5800 stomps your iBrick. How much did you pay for that thing again?

I multitask with my 3G on 3.1.2, quite well in fact. Might want to do some homework before you make claims you can't back up. The 4.0 OS Multitasking will work exactly as it was designed, giving the proper API's to allow apps to carry out their core function in the backround. Again, homework.
    I understand that Apple fanboys are technically inept and are easily fooled, but even that's unnecessary given that you believe whatever iSteve tells you.

I have a bulletin for you, no iPhone multitasks. Not from the shelf, not jailbroken, you just don't have real multitasking. But for you to even understand what multitasking is would require you to do homework.

Why would we need a memory card when we have 16+ GB's of on-board storage, that we can actually store AND run apps on.
    Because it's convenient to be able to swap out cards and instantly have tons of songs, movies, doc whatever available on a new device without needing a PC to copy stuff over with. Memory cards mean essentially unlimited storage, which is better than even a lot of fixed storage in some cases. It's flexibility, freedom, and a time saver.

As far as apps go, why would I need or want to go to a website for apps when I have the best selection of apps all in one place, The App Store. On top of that, a jailbroken device gets access to two other app stores, Cydia and Rock.
    Freedom of choice, another concept that's totally foreign to iWorld
    04-22-10 12:24 PM

1. iPhone OS 4.0 will have multitasking and it will not have a significant negative affect the battery life as proven on test units that are already in developers' hands.

2. Dropped calls are due to the carrier and not the hardware. My iPhone pretty much always has 5 bars of service.

3. BB does not rule in any category. iPhone beats it handily in every catergory except security. Even email is better on iPhone becuase of the UI (and yes, there is push email support).

4. The upcoming 4th gen iPhone will have a screen that will crush anything else on the market (reportedly 960x640). And who cares what your screen res is when the dimensions are tiny like on any BB other than the Storm or 9000?

5. Who needs a memory card when there is 16-64GB built in (versus a paltry 256K on most BBs).

Face it - BB is no longer the smartphone of choice unless you are a corporate or government employee.

Fixed

Werd. I will say though I've noticed significant difference in service bewteen my iPhone and the multitude of other device I have. The reception could be better.
    04-22-10 12:27 PM

5. Who needs a memory card when there is 16-64MB built in (versus a paltry 256K on most BBs).
    I think you are a victim of tunnel vision like most others around here. First of all, removable memory is a huge advantage over canned memory. In fact the new iPhone 4G has a slot for media cards. The entire specs of the new 4G have been released by the way, I would post a link but I am not that helpful.

Anyhow, removable memory is a must for people that don't want to pack cables and laptops when they have a lot of information. And 64GB is really small these days anyhow if you are transporting data.

You need to be careful when pointing out the multitasking will be better, that'snot true. It has very little to do with the OS and the onus is on the application developers to understand and implement effective multitasking in their applications. One single badly written app and you lose your battery life. And let me tell you, most developers are not so good with the concepts of multitasking. I encounter that all the time.

What beats what, who knows? What are you doing with it? This is such a subjective thing that no one would seriously try to point it out and is a nearly unsupportable point of view as it quickly devolves into a point of view argument that no one can win.

Screens are another thing that is up to personal preference like the entire platform you are using. I would rather see CPU time allocated to more complex tasks than rendering images. But as I say, that is personal preference once again.
    04-22-10 12:28 PM
    Best phone for watching youtube-no. Best phone for surfing the web-no. Best rock solid all around device with a heavy emphasis on the business sector-absolutely. I don't watch videos and don't get on the web much on my Berry. That's what my laptop's for.

04-22-10 12:32 PM
    In fact the best all around phone hands down is that one coming out in 2308, it can do all sorts of things your phones can't and isn't made by Apple. It's made by some future company that I control with my mind.

So there.
    In 2308 you'll all be microchipped and nobody will need phones.

Or in the words of Doc Brown, "Phones?! Where we're going we don't need phones!"
    04-22-10 12:41 PM
    You do realize that resolution at these screen sizes becomes irrevelent at more that a few inches away. Have you ever studied how our eyes percieve resolution and how it correlates with distance?

So how do I run 3,4, or 5 apps at once? How am I doing that? Explain that for me.

Again, why the **** would I want someone elses music. In horrible MP3 quality at that. I'll keep my Apple Lossless library on my iPhone, for me, that are ripped from my CD's.

Again........we have the BEST app selection period. Nothing can compete with the number and quality of apps the iPhone has available in the App Store. Not Android. Nothing can.
    04-22-10 12:42 PM

Let *me* point out the errors in some of your assertions about an unreleased product

1. Until it is released and demonstrated to work in the hands of real users, it is Vaporware.
    2. Probably about the only true statement. It is widely reported that the iPhone responsible for a disproportionate amount of network congestion and dropped calls, so maybe you are just lucky.
    3. A matter of user opinion and preference.
    4. Speculation, and that level of pixel resolution is pretty much redundant unless you examine the screen with a magnifier.
    5. Who cares how the storage is connected? The bottom line is Does it work, and can I retrieve the content to my PC easily?
    04-22-10 12:43 PM
84 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD