Blackberry is a Blackberry
    Last edited by walidhaid; 10-29-14 at 08:26 PM.
    10-29-14 11:39 AM
    Why the hell do people ask these type of questions all the time?

YES! BlackBerry 10 is just as good for "consumers" non enterprise consumers as ios and android.

Don't believe me? Just look at all the non corporate people like myself who have a BlackBerry 10 phone.

Posted via CB10
    If I could find some.... in 18 months I've never seen another BB10 device other than the one I talked my daughter into getting.

Pretty sure sales, or the lack of sales answers the OP's question. Sure "some" consumer could be happy with BlackBerry... just like "some" people like going to the dentist. But when you went from owning the market at 70% market share and you are down below 3% today, even after having a new platform and devices on the market for 20 months now.... the question has been answered.

That doesn't mean things couldn't change...
    10-29-14 11:56 AM
    Blackberry is a Blackberry it's wrong to compare with other platforms, it's what you want in a mobile that counts, it's a way of living.And please BlackBerry don't follow other platforms and try to compete this is wrong, If you want a Jaguar you buy one and you don't buy a BMW and make it a Jaguar.

Posted via CB10
    Oh my.
    10-29-14 12:15 PM
    It appears that BlackBerry has ratcheted down their expectations to 10 million units a year for Enterprise and consumer. I think this goal is achievable as a Enterprise / consumer product. The Z3 needs to add LTE and the Z30 screen and it would be great to see a Z30 replacement and a Passport mini to round out their line up. Their main goal appears to be able to offer Enterprise users an end to end solution. The bottom line is that they can still exist and prosper as a brand even as a niche product. I just wish that LG would license the software to expand the base further with all touch phones.
    10-29-14 02:55 PM
    Sales have nothing to down with whether BlackBerry 10 is for "consumers" or not. Still is.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 06:02 PM
    Sales have nothing to down with whether BlackBerry 10 is for "consumers" or not. Still is.

Posted via CB10
    Higher sales will eventually result in better more apps which will result in more attraction in the marketplace. They need to get some traction or they slide down a slope pretty darn quick.
    10-29-14 06:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    It's a reflection of the premise.

Adoption rates do give a tangible indication as to whether or not the platform is being successful at being attractive to everyday consumers.
    TgeekB likes this.
    10-29-14 06:27 PM
    This has devolved into an app gap discussion and away from the OP's question. For each of you who claim that BlackBerry needs this app or that app, reread the OP. The OP doesn't use those apps. There is a sizable portion of the population that also dies not use those apps. Then factor in comments from some here that say "one friend uses app1 to communicate while friend2 uses app2". If that's the case the BlackBerry user can ask those friends to use an app that is one the BlackBerry.

Point is YOU are not representative of the population as a whole. There is a good chunk of the population (especially those over 40) that do not use these apps. There's a good chunk of the population of smartphone users who won't do banking on the phone no matter what. BlackBerry can be for them.
    Or shouldn't do banking on an Android because they have a fat juicy bank account and would be an easy target for trojans and other nasties...

I'd be happy for my dad (60+ now) to get a Z30. He's considering it, after seeing my brother with the Z10 I bought for him. I'd be worried if he bought a pAwndroid...

? ? ? Passposted via CB Chen ? ? ?
    10-29-14 11:23 PM
    But Chen has publically said he's focused on the enterprise market, and his "open letter" posted today (pre registration) basically was written toward the enterprise user without explicitly saying the word: John Chen Open Letter: Pre-Register for BlackBerry Classic | Inside BlackBerry

Thanks for that. I noted he wrote "Our application catalogue is growing". Not our Amazon partner's catalogue is growing. Question is it really growing ? or is "our" include Amazon. Regardless, most of the 9900 owners and some Q10 owners and possibly Curve owners (mainly in the UK) who have a very active inbox from multiple sources are the target.

In my own case I pulled the trigger on a Z10 when the price went down to $199 and mothballed the 9900 six months before the contract ended. I wished I would have waited for the Classic. Maybe I could hide the 9900 and say to my wife that I just went back to my old phone.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    10-29-14 11:28 PM
    I believe by focusing on Business and Security as they used to, it will translate into consumer sales. Who doesn't work and who doesn't want to be productive? BlackBerry and Chen have every intention of selling to the consumer market but must be known as the best at something to do so. When BBM was the craze with teenagers in 2005, BlackBerry had very little advertising and was known as a business only device. It was when parents showed off the phones around the dinner table that it took off like crazy with all ages. It can and will happen again.

'BB POWERED' C001C1D66
    10-30-14 12:03 AM
    Here in the USA where the faithful are quick to forget, BlackBerry was once a dominant force and the device everyone wanted. That was before competition in the forum of Android and Apple IOS came along.

Now the BlackBerry brand is all but dead here with a few folks like myself who still continue to preach it here. My carrier T Mobile is no longer licensed to carry or sell the BlackBerry brand anymore which is sad because at one time, they where the largest supporter and retailer of BlackBerry products here in the USA.

I know a quite a few folks who would gladly jump ship back to BlackBerry if there was more carrier support for the brand here. The passport is sold out on BlackBerry USA website which tells me there is still interest for the product here.

The first step I would like to see happen would be to reestablish ties with T Mobile and get some BlackBerry reps to put a nice display in the stores and really make an effort to jump start the brand here again?

I know Mr Chen's focus is on enterprise, but even if they are successful at that level here, how about the individual who finds him or herself liking their new BlackBerry Enterprise device and now has no carrier to go to to buy themselves a personal phone??

Forget online sales, most folks I know have to touch it, feel it and play with it before they buy it and that's difficult to do through a computer screen. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my lovely z30 on T Mobile (10.3.1.938)
    ubizmo likes this.
    10-30-14 03:56 AM
    Usa-centric point

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    What's wrong with that? BlackBerry makes more $$$ from the USA in the enterprise area then any other country.

BlackBerry is only biting the biggest hand that feeds them.

BTW it's USA not Usa.

BlackBerry hates America!
    10-30-14 08:12 AM
    Blackberry has had to focus on the enterprise market, because that's where they have the best chance of success. Period. Once they get the company to the point where they stop bleeding cash then they will focus more on the consumer end.
    Blackberry is on the right path. These things take time.
    Also, the average consumer cares nothing about security. Until it happens to them, or it becomes a broad issue that the general public is concerned about....then I feel Blackberry will be able to capitalize in the consumer space. I think they are just waiting for the right dominoes to fall.
    10-30-14 09:03 AM
    Blackberry has had to focus on the enterprise market, because that's where they have the best chance of success. Period. Once they get the company to the point where they stop bleeding cash then they will focus more on the consumer end.
    Blackberry is on the right path. These things take time.
    Also, the average consumer cares nothing about security. Until it happens to them, or it becomes a broad issue that the general public is concerned about....then I feel Blackberry will be able to capitalize in the consumer space. I think they are just waiting for the right dominoes to fall.
    I hope BBRY isn't holding its breath for the Great Mobile Security Apocalypse. We've been waiting on that for a very, very long time.
    10-30-14 09:10 AM
    The strategy for the USA is to start with a BES 12 end to end solution for big business / enterprise and to sell the Classic to prosumers. I just do not know how they market their products in combination with a willing carrier (s).
    10-30-14 01:44 PM
    I hope BBRY isn't holding its breath for the Great Mobile Security Apocalypse. We've been waiting on that for a very, very long time.
    You might be right.

Maybe it's gonna be like a slow, smoldering fire instead of a flash fire...
    Windows security issues are constant, but massive widespread infections making the news are not that common anymore.

10-31-14 01:35 AM
    You might be right.

Maybe it's gonna be like a slow, smoldering fire instead of a flash fire...
    Windows security issues are constant, but massive widespread infections making the news are not that common anymore.

Better for the crooks (and spooks) anyway. :-)
    Disclaimer: I'm not associated with any of them.

10-31-14 01:36 AM
    I believe by focusing on Business and Security as they used to, it will translate into consumer sales. Who doesn't work and who doesn't want to be productive? BlackBerry and Chen have every intention of selling to the consumer market but must be known as the best at something to do so. When BBM was the craze with teenagers in 2005, BlackBerry had very little advertising and was known as a business only device. It was when parents showed off the phones around the dinner table that it took off like crazy with all ages. It can and will happen again.

'BB POWERED' C001C1D66
    It could but probably won't. It's not 2005 anymore and people have moved on.

If Blackberry were sold, had a name change, and then came out with something "new" then maybe as long as it wasn't enterprise only. People don't want that any more.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-31-14 03:52 PM
    Maybe tonight. I've seen some ghouls walking around my neighborhood.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-31-14 03:55 PM
    I have Q10.

The Passport is not an alternative for me.

Classic is the same as Q10, don't wanna pay full price for it, as I did with Q10. Now half price.

I think I'll buy Z10 next time. Need bigger screen than Q10. But love the physical keyboard at the same time. I'll switch between them until BlackBerry can deliver something better than Passport and Classic, or they cut their prices.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 06:52 PM
    Respetfully disagree. Hardly the same device. Looks similar + toolbelt, yes. But different specs, and much newer phone. I'd buy in a heartbeat, and will.
    I hope, that I'll change my mind, when I see the final version and review.

I just don't understand how 9900 have kept it's value for so long time, while Q10 was already the half price 1 year later. If the same price cut happens for Classic after a year, I'll buy it, but I don't wanna risk to pay full price in the moment, because it is almost a similar phone to what I have now (Q10).

But for sure, if my Q10 broke or gets out of date, then I'll probably upgrade to Classic.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 04:35 AM
    I think the lack of toolbelt is what held off enterprises from updating. Even I underestimate how stubborn the 50+yr old executive crowd can be.
    Or the upgrade cost to get a new BES, new phones and new apps, if you want some BB10.

Actually, I am pretty sure that those are the major reasons and definitely not the toolbelt.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 04:42 PM
72 123