Hi all,

very first post here! As well as a very important question

I am currently in Japan and will be for the next 6 months. So I got myself a Softbank contract and a crappy samsung phone beause it was free. I asked the guy at Softbank whether I could just plug my SIM card in to my unlocked BB Bold 9700 and use it. and he said, yes BUT the charges will be different then my plan.

What he told me was that the Blackberry uses a different chipset or w.e and Softbank can tell what it is and therefore will force me to pay extra.

However, all I want to do is SMS. but he said even then Softbank will charge me extra, because supposedly the bold 9700 changes all SMS to MMS and MMS are more expensive and blah blah blah.

As far as I know, in North America, you can just swap phones, and the carrier couldnt care less.

Is it the same in Japan? Is this guy BSing me? cause he seemed kind of shady

Cheers,
    T
    07-06-10 11:26 PM
    Hi all,

very first post here! As well as a very important question

I am currently in Japan and will be for the next 6 months. So I got myself a Softbank contract and a crappy samsung phone beause it was free. I asked the guy at Softbank whether I could just plug my SIM card in to my unlocked BB Bold 9700 and use it. and he said, yes BUT the charges will be different then my plan.

What he told me was that the Blackberry uses a different chipset or w.e and Softbank can tell what it is and therefore will force me to pay extra.

However, all I want to do is SMS. but he said even then Softbank will charge me extra, because supposedly the bold 9700 changes all SMS to MMS and MMS are more expensive and blah blah blah.

As far as I know, in North America, you can just swap phones, and the carrier couldnt care less.

Is it the same in Japan? Is this guy BSing me? cause he seemed kind of shady

Cheers,
    T

I used an unlocked Blackberry Tour on VZW when I was in Japan, and popped the SIM. I do know I could use all of the same features of my Blackberry but I could NOT send outgoing SMS. I still got charged for incoming SMS, but I could not send out. Despite your phone being unlocked, they still get you with the international charges. I didn't get smashed too hard with charges because I did not text, just used my data services. MMS -is- more expensive over there too.
    07-06-10 11:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD