If they can't afford something more than $100 for a phone, then maybe they shouldn't have a mobile phone at all? A zero price contact phone might be a better choice for them. What is the use of a $100 dollar off contract phone if they can't afford the monthly payments.
    Most people in these use them as payg phones which are usually a lot better value then a contract phone.
    Also businesses use cheap devices. A sub 100 dollar phone would go a long way to breaking businesses away from curves

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    10-01-14 11:42 AM
    I think I'd rather keep my $100 lol

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 11:47 AM
    I paid $60 for my 9310 new. Great phone, did everything I needed and wanted communication-wise. I still have it and it still works. Not sure if they can really do similar in a BB10 device, but the attitudes about low end phones in this thread are sad. Not everyone can afford a flagship or multiple devices or an upgrade every 3 months; doesn't mean they shouldn't have a phone.

If that was me I'd be using that Curve still, paying $40 a month, and laughing at folks paying double because then need Clash of Clans and Candy Crush on their phone.

Posted via CB10
    BK_NY_RAY and oldtimeBBaddict like this.
    10-01-14 11:52 AM
    Most people in these use them as payg phones which are usually a lot better value then a contract phone.
    Also businesses use cheap devices. A sub 100 dollar phone would go a long way to breaking businesses away from curves

Question: What do you think what Blackberry could make with BB10 for less than 100 dollars and make money?
    spikesolie likes this.
    10-01-14 12:14 PM
    Question: What do you think what Blackberry could make with BB10 for less than 100 dollars and make money?
    I doubt blackberry can make a phone for less then 100 and make money on it thanks to bb10 being bloated in all honesty.
    But since their most popular line was the cheap side of the market and that was the last area where they dominated should they give it up without a fight?
    Once those curves finally drop out of play that's a huge loss of revenue for them and they have nothing to fill that void

sentimentGX4 and Witmen like this.
    10-01-14 12:29 PM
    I doubt blackberry can make a phone for less then 100 and make money on it thanks to bb10 being bloated in all honesty.
    But since their most popular line was the cheap side of the market and that was the last area where they dominated should they give it up without a fight?
    Once those curves finally drop out of play that's a huge loss of revenue for them and they have nothing to fill that void

I am glad you don't work for me or Blackberry. Doesn't make sense to sell products for less than cost.
    spikesolie likes this.
    10-01-14 12:31 PM
    I am glad you don't work for me or Blackberry. Doesn't make sense to sell products for less than cost.
    Does it make sense to make expensive products that no one will buy?
    So you think blackberry should forget about the low end market despite the fact that this market is what is keeping them going and won't last forever?

MarsupilamiX likes this.
    10-01-14 12:36 PM
    Just to be clear I don't think blackberry should ever sell at a loss but they need a device that is as close to that 100 mark as possible.

MarsupilamiX likes this.
    10-01-14 12:39 PM
    thanks to bb10 being bloated in all honesty.

Huh?

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    10-01-14 12:42 PM
    Just to be clear I don't think blackberry should ever sell at a loss but they need a device that is as close to that 100 mark as possible.

And what is that price? Seems to me that the Z3 is as cheap as they can go and still make money. And making money doesn't mean 1$ over cost.
    10-01-14 12:45 PM
    Why stopped there? How about a $50 BlackBerry 10 phones

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 12:52 PM
    I don't think this is a completely unreasonable, or impossible request, though maybe $150 would be a more reasonable target.

I DO think such a device would be very limited. 1GB RAM, 8GB storage, only 3-4 Active Frames at a time, low-rez screen. No SD slot, no video out, no Miracast, no FM radio, 5MP rear cam/VGA front cam...

And, yes, business would love it.
    10-01-14 12:57 PM
    And as for the OP, BlackBerry isn't exactly a no-R&D, no-frills, no labor laws Chinese OEM.
    Aren't the labor laws the same? It's not like Blackberry contracts manufacturers outside of developing countries like China.

I've never figured out why Blackberry devices are so expensive. Outside BB10 R&D, I think its either just historically an inefficient or stingy corporation vs. Motorola or LG or Nokia, which have all given consumers deals.
    10-01-14 01:00 PM
    If they can't afford something more than $100 for a phone, then maybe they shouldn't have a mobile phone at all? A zero price contact phone might be a better choice for them. What is the use of a $100 dollar off contract phone if they can't afford the monthly payments.
    what are you talking about? first of all, its not just about being able to afford it, its also about not wanting to spend money on thing you DONT NEED. also, data plans in the states come as low as $30 a month so just because you cant afford or dont want to spend over 100 for a phone doesnt mean you cant afford a plan.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    10-01-14 01:02 PM
    I paid $60 for my 9310 new. Great phone, did everything I needed and wanted communication-wise. I still have it and it still works. Not sure if they can really do similar in a BB10 device, but the attitudes about low end phones in this thread are sad. Not everyone can afford a flagship or multiple devices or an upgrade every 3 months; doesn't mean they shouldn't have a phone.

If that was me I'd be using that Curve still, paying $40 a month, and laughing at folks paying double because then need Clash of Clans and Candy Crush on their phone.

Posted via CB10
    lol true, this is the people we have now, especially in countries like the US (im american BTW). I currently pay 50 bucks period, unlimited talk and text, 1gb of 4g lte and unlimited 2g, and have wifi almost all the time. plus, its a fact that most people dont even use 1gb of data. anyway, and im going to do the 4 lines for 100 bucks so then im just going to pay 25. BOOM!
    10-01-14 01:09 PM
    and also very true. some people arent dumb and buy things they cant afford or spend money on things they dont need.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 01:09 PM
    make money of all the ways bbm makes them money now. blackberry world. also, breaking even to get bb10 on more people hands which means more future phone purchases, which means more money, more apps, which means more new consumer, which means more money
    10-01-14 01:11 PM
    And lastly, just because a low cost phone exists doesnt mean you HAVE to buy it. Buy your unnecessary $700 phone if you want, others can buy that phone or a low cost phone if they choose, need or want. Personally, currently, I wouldnt spend more than like $100 on a phone. I spend $100 on my like new Z10 with accessories.
    10-01-14 01:20 PM
    make money of all the ways bbm makes them money now. blackberry world. also, breaking even to get bb10 on more people hands which means more future phone purchases, which means more money, more apps, which means more new consumer, which means more money
    I'm sure their concern is whether the hypothetical new Curve (C10?) would take away sales on phones like the Q10 or Classic. Like with me...when I left AT&T and couldn't have my 9810 anymore I chose a $60 9310 over a $400 9930 and didn't miss a thing.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 01:25 PM
    Huh?

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    Requires 2 gig of ram to run. Although the price of ram should have dropped

desporterizer likes this.
    10-01-14 01:45 PM
    And what is that price? Seems to me that the Z3 is as cheap as they can go and still make money. And making money doesn't mean 1$ over cost.
    The z3 is being released far too slowly. It's not available in any of the markets it needs to be in.

MarsupilamiX likes this.
    10-01-14 01:46 PM
    Aren't the labor laws the same? It's not like Blackberry contracts manufacturers outside of developing countries like China.
    Labor laws may be the same, but calls for accountability are not, i.e. those Chinese OEMs may be getting away with labor practices that would not be acceptable from Western companies.

I've never figured out why Blackberry devices are so expensive. Outside BB10 R&D, I think its either just historically an inefficient or stingy corporation vs. Motorola or LG or Nokia, which have all given consumers deals.
    The same Motorola that priced the Motorola X at a laughable price? The same Nokia (handset division) that got bought out? And if I'm not mistaken, isn't LG is a components provider? Not on Samsung's scale, but still more than BB?
    10-01-14 01:50 PM
    Labor laws may be the same, but calls for accountability are not, i.e. those Chinese OEMs may be getting away with labor practices that would not be acceptable from Western companies.

The same Motorola that priced the Motorola X at a laughable price? The same Nokia (handset division) that got bought out? And if I'm not mistaken, isn't LG is a components provider? Not on Samsung's scale, but still more than BB?
    The Motorola x was cheaper then a z30. How was it laughable?
    And doesn't blackberry have a deal with Foxconn?

10-01-14 01:57 PM
    Does it make sense to make expensive products that no one will buy?
    So you think blackberry should forget about the low end market despite the fact that this market is what is keeping them going and won't last forever?

I can see that you didn't look at the quarterly reports from BBRY. They sold phones and had good margins on the hardware which keeps them going.
    10-01-14 02:46 PM
    Requires 2 gig of ram to run. Although the price of ram should have dropped

Actually wrong again.. Z3 runs on 1.5GB and I have a Q10 with 1.0GB that runs 10.2 quite well. (better than the laggy Samsungs I have used.)

Tell that to Apple who charges iSheep twice the going cost for RAM.
    10-01-14 02:48 PM
124 1234 ...