OS 7 should be finished for good. BlackBerry should offer BlackBerry OS 6/7 users free BlackBerry 10 devices excluding passport and classic not exactly free but at discount rates. They should get the old phones in returns and keep them somewhere in the closets or something. BBOS is quite laggy and slow and has very limited apps available. This is why many people today don't prefer BlackBerry cuz they don't know BlackBerry 10 is the best. I know some people who have never even heard about it :/. BlackBerry 10 is a superb OS only think it lacks is lack of promotion and advertising. Here in the UAE they used to get BlackBerry OS devices like bold on bill boards on highways and all... Now I only see HTC, Sony, samsung etc... Thumbs up if your with me.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 10:52 AM
    Well, the introduction of the Classic might be the first step to

Posted via my 'Classy' Classic
    01-21-15 11:36 AM
    They are phasing BlackBerry OS out.

The plan was to do it by end of 2015 but that info is quite old, so things might have changed.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 11:45 AM
    Well, the introduction of the Classic might be the first step to

Posted via my 'Classy' Classic
    It should be like....

"Get 75% off on you classic for a 9900" this should be there!!
    01-21-15 12:19 PM
    They are phasing BlackBerry OS out.

The plan was to do it by end of 2015 but that info is quite old, so things might have changed.

Posted via CB10
    Wait what info? Was there actually a plan to take down the OS 7?
    01-21-15 12:20 PM
    BBos7 is still giving good service and i see more 9900 in business use than BB10 devices, and before Blackberry removes BBos7 the Classic has to prove it's the 9900 replacement, why offer any BB10 devices free or at a discount and exclude the Classic the very phone that is supposed to be the reason for 9900 owners to upgrade to BB10?, Microsoft wishes Windows XP would go away and Blackberry with BBos7 / 9900/30, that's not happening any time soon.
    Ghyss8888, Carrtman and Anthony_2u like this.
    01-21-15 01:56 PM
    I'm sure the plan is to stop supporting BBOS down the road. It's something that needs to be done very carefully as if it's done too soon before legacy users switch to BB10, those users will just flip to other phones.

I like the idea about special pricing for legacy users once the full run out of 10.3.1.

Add in a 60 day trial period as opposed to 30 days might give incentive for those users to make the change.

I was in a meeting earlier today and met with someone who had a 9900 and after trying it out during lunch, they were headed to their carrier to buy one.

They have tried BB10 before with the Q10 but in his words, the toolbelt made him feel at home with the phone.

In my own personal experience, if you try you will buy.

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    01-21-15 03:15 PM
    I've said this before, and I'm not, of course, in a position to know everything.

But here's the thing: BlackBerry need to bring out a '10 version of the Curve.

That was a device millions loved. It was, I believe, the strongest brand BlackBerry own.

There's a huge gap in the market for an updated version. What would the new device be called? Initially, The New Curve... and then, the Curve.

Whilst I'm happy for QNX and IOT and all of that, BlackBerry is a goldmine consumer brand that's losing out every day.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    01-21-15 03:18 PM
    They are "dumping it" by not producing any new BBOS phones.

They are already offering incentives in the enterprise space to convert people to BES 12, and they now have the right devices to sweeten the deal.

They aren't really interested in the consumer space right now, so there's not much to do there. But just shutting off BIS overnight would be a public relations disaster.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    01-21-15 03:30 PM
    They can't right now. The service dollars from the BIS/BES is the only good income they have.

BlackBerry hates America!
    01-21-15 04:08 PM
    I've said this before, and I'm not, of course, in a position to know everything.

That was a device millions loved. It was, I believe, the strongest brand BlackBerry own.

There's a huge gap in the market for an updated version. What would the new device be called? Initially, The New Curve... and then, the Curve.

Whilst I'm happy for QNX and IOT and all of that, BlackBerry is a goldmine consumer brand that's losing out every day.

Posted via CB10
    Really? We already have one oldie out there. We don't need more old tech.

01-21-15 04:09 PM
    It will be phased out in time I still see a ton of 9900's out there and they will not last forever ,with the release off the Classic people will miagrate in time .( Relax )
    01-21-15 04:15 PM

I actually like that idea like maybe a q5 with a toolbelt and same specs as classic

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 04:16 PM
    Blackberry has already dumped OS 7 as hard as it can. It's not manufacturing or developing new devices.

What more do you want it to do? Make current OS 7 devices stop functioning (fully or in part)? I can guarantee you that that will only anger customers.
    01-21-15 04:17 PM

Posted via CB10
    Curve? Just go get a Q5 man.
    01-22-15 10:27 AM
    They are "dumping it" by not producing any new BBOS phones.

They are already offering incentives in the enterprise space to convert people to BES 12, and they now have the right devices to sweeten the deal.

They aren't really interested in the consumer space right now, so there's not much to do there. But just shutting off BIS overnight would be a public relations disaster.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    Its already out of date now and many apps are turning their backs on BBOS like the latest news Evernote is donw with BBOS. They should completely stop it, thats what i meant.
    01-22-15 10:28 AM
    I'm sure the plan is to stop supporting BBOS down the road. It's something that needs to be done very carefully as if it's done too soon before legacy users switch to BB10, those users will just flip to other phones.

I like the idea about special pricing for legacy users once the full run out of 10.3.1.

Add in a 60 day trial period as opposed to 30 days might give incentive for those users to make the change.

I was in a meeting earlier today and met with someone who had a 9900 and after trying it out during lunch, they were headed to their carrier to buy one.

They have tried BB10 before with the Q10 but in his words, the toolbelt made him feel at home with the phone.

I just want them all to upgrade to bb10. I know many ppl who dont even know about the classic. Thats what I said like LACK OF PROMOTION and advertisement.
    01-22-15 10:30 AM
    It will be phased out in time I still see a ton of 9900's out there and they will not last forever ,with the release off the Classic people will miagrate in time .( Relax )
    I just want them all to upgrade to bb10. I know many ppl who dont even know about the classic. Thats what I said like LACK OF PROMOTION and advertisement.
    01-22-15 10:30 AM
    Blackberry has already dumped OS 7 as hard as it can. It's not manufacturing or developing new devices.

What more do you want it to do? Make current OS 7 devices stop functioning (fully or in part)? I can guarantee you that that will only anger customers.
    Didn't they restart the production of the 9900? And I think they still make the 9720
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    01-22-15 10:31 AM
    They should completely stop it, thats what i meant.
    I'm still unclear as to what you mean by "they should stop it".

"Stop" what? They already stopped making them.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    Last edited by conite; 01-22-15 at 11:34 AM.
    01-22-15 10:52 AM
    Didn't they restart the production of the 9900? And I think they still make the 9720
    The last 9720 was manufactured in July of 2013. BB ran a small batch of 9900/9930s last summer as they had run out of replacement devices for their enterprise customers, but given the batch size, they probably won't make much money off of them, even though they still sell for $400 new (they likely cost $250 to produce, and then there are the distribution costs, etc.).
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    01-22-15 11:13 AM
    There's probably more legacy devices out there than BB10 devices and a lot of companies still prefer and use legacy phones than BB10 phones.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Craigash; 01-22-15 at 11:33 PM.
    01-22-15 12:33 PM
    Killing off OS7 for the consumer, happened around 3-4 years too late.
    Having a BBOS replacement (BB10) happened around 5 years too late.

I'm still unclear as to what you mean by "they should stop it".

"Stop" what? They already stopped making them.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    An official EOL would have been nice I guess.
    Combined with the schedule for BIS shutdown.
    01-22-15 01:37 PM
    Transitions....

There are so many things wrong with how BlackBerry has operated for the last few years. It will make a very good case study in business classes for years to come. And one subject will be how to not make mistakes when transition from one product line to another....

At this point they need every dime they can squeeze out of BBOS and BIS.... and promoting BB10 would be of little benefit as it is only an mobile OS and not a full platform And based on the difficulties that both BlackBerry and Microsoft have had. It's pretty apparent that you can't show up to the party late and expect to get a piece of cake.

Chen is looking for another party, the smartphone party is pretty much over for BlackBerry.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    01-22-15 01:58 PM

The dream of legacy users switching to BB10 is rather...
    Well, it should have ended.

Most legacy users will very probably never switch to another BlackBerry, simply because BB10 doesn't have the ecosystem and app store of an Android or iPhone.
    At the same time BlackBerries are overpriced and underspecced, while the whole BB10 line up apart from the Passport, uses outdated specs.

Most BBOS buyers in the last few years are situated in emerging markets, where price and ecosystem play a vital role (BB should know that, as they made a name for themselves in a lot of emerging markets just because of BBM and their cheap curves).

It might be the toolbelt for your friend, but that's no explanation how BlackBerry was able to have 80M BBOS users at their peak, but has only sold some 8 million BB10 phones this year.

The issue is much more complex, than a simple toolbelt (and I suspect that BlackBerry stopped to understand why their abominations of devices (the whole OS7 line-up, now that I think about it) actually sell and to whom. When most of your customers sit in emerging markets and buy devices with an ASP around 300$, selling the Z10/Q10/Z30 for 600$, or the incredibly overpriced Classic and Q5 for 450$, is just stupid).

Posted via CB10
    Tbh though, most employees who got a Curve hated it, as it was really cheap compared to a Bold, had no apps and a tiny display.

I agree however, with the essence of your post, as it also a part of train of thought.
    BlackBerry needs an actual entry/midrange keyboard phone, and not just the overpriced Classic.

They can't right now. The service dollars from the BIS/BES is the only good income they have.

Wanna take a bet, when the revenue stream will totally crash?

Wanna bet that BlackBerry still has no viable backup plan, for the moment the service revenues completely disappear?

Wanna bet that you overstate the importance of BIS nonetheless?

Really? We already have one oldie out there. We don't need more old tech.

The Classic doesn't count.
    It's the most overpriced device BlackBerry ever made, probably (somewhere along the lines of the Q5 and the OS 1.0 PlayBook).

When Android phones with the same specs cost 120$, you know that you are getting ripped off.

I am talking about a real Curve (180-280$) here, and not the money grab called the Classic.
    I hope the OP you responded to, is of the same opinion.

Transitions....

There are so many things wrong with how BlackBerry has operated for the last few years. It will make a very good case study in business classes for years to come. And one subject will be how to not make mistakes when transition from one product line to another....

At this point they need every dime they can squeeze out of BBOS and BIS.... and promoting BB10 would be of little benefit as it is only an mobile OS and not a full platform And based on the difficulties that both BlackBerry and Microsoft have had. It's pretty apparent that you can't show up to the party late and expect to get a piece of cake.

Chen is looking for another party, the smartphone party is pretty much over for BlackBerry.
    I agree, that BlackBerry should look for the next big thing.
    But even for BB10, there would have been lots of hope if BlackBerry would have specifically targeted emerging markets with their devices (maybe they still can, but the pricing of the Classic makes me doubt that. At aroud 200$, that phone could have been a huge success in emerging markets AND the Enterprise).

I agree with Blackberry being a great case study. It actually already was one, together with Nokia, at my University.

But yeah, I think that the transition being reactive, instead of proactive, is what hurt BlackBerry the most, in the end.
    They didn't read the market. They had no idea where it was heading and how bad the paradigm shift will be for BlackBerry.
    They just stood on the sidelines for 6 years, before they had an answer to the iPhone and Androids....
    01-22-15 03:20 PM
30 12