http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...hone-unit.html

My thinking is that this makes Blackberry more appealing as a possible partner or acquisition. Perhaps by either a hardware provider that's currently backing Android phones or WP8 phones, and sees itself possibly just getting the crumbs from their current arrangement.
    09-03-13 08:32 AM
    BlackBerry Rises After Microsoft Agrees to Buy Nokia Phone Unit - Bloomberg

My thinking is that this makes Blackberry more appealing as a possible partner or acquisition. Perhaps by either a hardware provider that's currently backing Android phones or WP8 phones, and sees itself possibly just getting the crumbs from their current arrangement.
    True.

But is also true that Microsoft got Nokia very cheaply... which makes one wonder what the magic price for BBRY would be.

And remember that Nokia has at least been gaining marketshare, and its' ecosystem has been growing (reportedly because MS is paying developers). Whereas BlackBerry's old platform if loosing subscribes at an alarming rate, and the new platform is being ignored. Those same "providers" could have bid on WebOS if they had any hope in a 4th place platform being able to make any headway.
    CHIP72 likes this.
    09-03-13 09:04 AM
    Could this be the end of one massive ecosystem and a future of new cross platform apps, with vendors controlling their software and hardware?

Right now here is where we stand.

Android through Google owns Motorola
    Apples has its os.
    Microsoft owns Nokia
    Samsung has tizen to fall back on
    LG owns webOS so they have the option to go there.
    BlackBerry owns QNX

Kind of leaves Sony and HTC out in the cold though doesn't it? And what of ZTE and Huawei?

Posted via CB10
    09-03-13 12:16 PM
    True.

But is also true that Microsoft got Nokia very cheaply... which makes one wonder what the magic price for BBRY would be.

And remember that Nokia has at least been gaining marketshare, and its' ecosystem has been growing (reportedly because MS is paying developers). Whereas BlackBerry's old platform if loosing subscribes at an alarming rate, and the new platform is being ignored. Those same "providers" could have bid on WebOS if they had any hope in a 4th place platform being able to make any headway.
    Very good point. I thought back in late 2011/early 2012 that buying webOS would have made sense for HTC or one of the Chinese smartphone manufacturers.

I think Blackberry has more to offer than Palm did, but I also think Blackberry comes with more "baggage" than Palm did (in terms of the brand name being tarnished and the double-edged sword of mobile security).
    09-03-13 12:25 PM
    Don't get me going on the whole WebOS debacle. I'm still grieving that the HP Pre3 came so close to making it.

With respect to Nokia, maps aside, Microsoft was basically getting one thing. They just bought the cool camera phone-loving market.

With respect to WebOS, there were all the folks who had bought the HP tablets during the fire sale, and the few HP devices that had come before, so basically there was a very small pool of WebOS users and a very nice operating system.

Blackberry, as has been discussed in detail, offers much more than an alternate mobile operating system. They do offer a nice user base upon which to build (as opposed to FireFox, Jolla, or Tizen) which includes many governments and large companies, but they also offer their new BYOD enterprise security product, QNX, and BBM. ... Plus their own secure network. ... Plus patents...

It may be that a partner company like a Qualcomm (purely randomly mentioned) might have an interest in a closer relationship with Blackberry for reasons that are totally unrelated to mobile phones. On the other hand, if a company were interested in BB because of their value as a mobile phone software provider, it would be impossible to ignore the other things that BB brings to the table.

That's the problem with most analyst discussions regarding Blackberry. Almost all of the analysis is on how BB10 phones are selling, while that's just one piece of their total pie.

True.

jstirtzinger likes this.
    09-03-13 12:29 PM