Just curious, is there any Blackberry service in Japan for any berry? I am thinking there is not, but I may be mistaken.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-08 04:44 PM
    Blackberry Japan rental

You can even arrange a rental while you are there.
    04-28-08 04:49 PM
    Interesting, didn't know about that. Have to check the details on the 8707 and if there are any other BB's that work. I am possibly going to be taking a 1 to 2 year assignment and would be lost without my crack! That is encouraging.

04-28-08 05:10 PM
    Japan uses WCDMA which is unique to only there and South Korea. None of our phones will work there. There is however roaming available on DoCoMo which operates at UMTS 2100 - basically you can roam using a 3G phone that has the 2100 frequency. That said the only Blackberry to date that has 3G is the 8707. I use a Curve in the US and then switch my SIM over to the 8707 when I travel to Japan.
    04-28-08 05:23 PM
    Okay, so you can switch your sim and use an 8707 while there. Wonder if the upcoming 9000 (or what ever they end up calling it) will work there given it will be 3G? Hmmm......That could be a great reason for me to buy one! This is looking better every day......
    04-29-08 08:33 AM
    the only phones right now from AT&T that would work are the palm treo 750, AT&T Tilt, and the Blackjack 2...those are the only phones for the us that would work...i heard the iphone 2 will be able to work and i think they said the 9000 will be able to work as well...
    04-29-08 09:03 AM
    The iPhone 2.0 and the BlackBerry 9000 will both be 3G.
    04-29-08 10:11 AM
    Yep, this document leaked on BGR shows definite Japan support for the 9000. You can guess what I will be including in my "relocation costs" if this new project pans out. Good things come to those who wait.......or find "work" reasons to speed them up!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/bla...c-sheet-32563/
    04-29-08 03:55 PM
    Just curious, is there any Blackberry service in Japan for any berry? I am thinking there is not, but I may be mistaken.

I've used my T-Mobile SIM card in the 8707 in Japan without issue. In fact, I got some of the best coverage I've ever had on their 3G network. It often maintained signal on the subway in Osaka to a degree that I would never expect in the US. I spoke to T-Mobile before I went and the people on the phone were largely clueless as to whether or not it would work. I usually roamed on either Vodafone or NTT DoCoMo.

The 8707 worked fine in the US as well, though T-Mobile hadn't rolled out 3G coverage by the time I replaced it.
    07-11-08 06:13 AM
    Sorry, i don't quite get it. So if i'm using 9780 in Japan, does it work?only new sim card is required?
    I'm planning to japan this september until march. I don't want to use other phone.
    07-01-11 06:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD