04-14-09 12:56 PM
69 123
tools
    i dont understand i love my Bold but BIS has been down quite a few times in the past 2 months, more times than Ive ever had on a mobile device prior to coming to BB. Were paying a premium here for BB, we should get a premium service quality. All other hosted activesync email solutions ive ever used on WM and such have always had a 99.9% uptime and rarely ever lost service, even on free mail2web at that.

RIM needs to get their act together
    04-13-09 04:04 PM
    Verizon Wireless
    17:05
    Jersey City, NJ

NOT WORKING / DELAYED EMAIL ALERTS...
    Last edited by athanasia; 04-13-09 at 04:40 PM.
    04-13-09 04:06 PM
    Still no Hotmail
    04-13-09 04:12 PM
    Most of the time, when RIM's service is down, they are upgrading server hardware or software. Since RIM is an ever evolving company, upgrades happen. Be patient as they are only trying to make our experience better. Remember also that RIM is incredible at fixing their service and the latest email catastrophe will be over as soon as it began.
    04-13-09 04:15 PM
    I just recieved all my e-mails/facebook notifications at 3:58 Central time... sent a test message to myself... still haven't recieved it... hmmmm...
    04-13-09 04:25 PM
    Not receiving Gmail again. UGH
    04-13-09 04:25 PM
    Most of the time, when RIM's service is down, they are upgrading server hardware or software. Since RIM is an ever evolving company, upgrades happen. Be patient as they are only trying to make our experience better. Remember also that RIM is incredible at fixing their service and the latest email catastrophe will be over as soon as it began.
    RIM doesnt do planned upgrades during the day. theyre all scheduled from 2-6am. This definitely wasnt a planned outage for an upgrade.

Again, RIM needs to stop letting their service go down during the daytime on unplanned outages. This is what, the 3rd or 4th time in 3 or 4 weeks? Way unacceptable uptime stats for something we pay a pretty penny for.
    04-13-09 04:35 PM
    I've been getting email intermittently, but it's a trickle compared to what it should be. I've resent service books on both Berry and computer. Gmail reception on my Thunderbird is normal, so this is definitely a RIM issue.
    04-13-09 04:44 PM
    Again, RIM needs to stop letting their service go down during the daytime on unplanned outages. This is what, the 3rd or 4th time in 3 or 4 weeks? Way unacceptable uptime stats for something we pay a pretty penny for.
    With what these phones cost and the extra money for RIM's data service, they should be doing a much better job at keeping their service up and running than they have over the past few weeks.

I just got this Berry a month ago, so am still very new to the game, but have experienced more than my share of data outages. I'm never certain whether to blame Metro or RIM. But this isn't something customers should have to deal with.
    04-13-09 04:49 PM
    oh i agree i tranferred from using WM for years to a Bold about 7 weeks ago and have seen 3 or 4 daytime outages now. I was using FREE mail2web will complete activesync push including calendar and contacts and service was MAYBE down 2 times in a few years.

Im a little irritated paying $30/month for all this downtime on a premium push service they advertise it to be and watered down push solution- no contacts, no calendar, and no folders. Not like RIM is discounting us for all the downtime either or hassle from missed important emails.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-13-09 at 04:59 PM.
    04-13-09 04:51 PM
    Just received a bunch of old gmails but still no hotmail since about 1PM eastern.
    04-13-09 04:56 PM
    Same here in Greece. Email reception for my 3 accounts and facebook notifications have been inconsistent today. All have been received by my PC and only a handful have been pushed to the phone. Must be a world wide fault. I'll see how my ozzy m8's do in Australia. They're just waking up.
    04-13-09 04:59 PM
    wow, this is huge! i didn't know that this was also a problem out of the USA.
    04-13-09 05:00 PM
    well yeh i think every BB goes through the same servers in Canada, so Id assume it affects worldwide
    04-13-09 05:01 PM
    oh i agree i tranferred from using WM for years to a Bold about 7 weeks ago and have seen 3 or 4 daytime outages now. I was using FREE mail2web will complete activesync push including calendar and contacts and service was MAYBE down 2 times in a few years.

Im a little irritated paying $30/month for all this downtime on a premium push service they advertise it to be and watered down push solution- no contacts, no calendar, and no folders. Not like RIM is discounting us for all the downtime either or hassle from missed important emails.
    If you don't like the BB service nobody is preventing you going back to your free service.

RIM will never discount or compensate end users. Your contract is with your provider, and that is the only place you might hope to get anything. Being realistic about it, widespread real outages are extremely rare on the BB service. Most often your provider's network is the source of regional or local problems - not something RIM can control.
    04-13-09 05:17 PM
    3 or 4 times in a month doesn't sound like "extremely rare" to me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-09 05:48 PM
    yes honesty, check back on crackberry blogs and theres been at least 3 nationwide RIM outages in the last 6-8 weeks. thats not extremely rare.

And i know no one has a gun to my head i like my Bold a lot actually. Besides the point, I dont think RIM or the carrier is going to cover the cost for a new device full price since this is what I signed my contract and changed carriers to get. Not all of us can go out and buy another $5-600 smartphone at will because were not getting the promised level of service.

The only true answer here is for RIM to get on the ball and offer the service and quality we all pay for, not an outage every week or 2.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-13-09 at 05:59 PM.
    04-13-09 05:52 PM
    3 or 4 times in a month doesn't sound like "extremely rare" to me.

One observer's report which is not supported by a quick scan of the archives at dataoutages.com. Maybe his teleco has an unreliable network in his area?

dataoutages.com is a widely accepted reporting service (used by a lot of major BB users). The archive shows a few problems reported every month from a range of telecos, but they are usually confined to singler carrier and short duration. I was unable to find a report which suggested an unplanned RIM outage (all carriers, any region) in the last 6 months.
    04-13-09 06:03 PM
    yes honesty, check back on crackberry blogs and theres been at least 3 nationwide RIM outages in the last 6-8 weeks. thats not extremely rare.
    Links to threads please
    04-13-09 06:04 PM
    dataoutages.com is not the holy grail of outages either. I trust user accounts here more than some website with who knows reporting and collecting this data. People here on various carriers is a good gauge of outages.

and i can say with confidence this is the second major nationwide all carrier outage in a few weeks. There was one today and one in early Feb., and between that and carrier outages its becoming ridiculous being without service every few weeks.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-13-09 at 06:17 PM.
    04-13-09 06:07 PM
    at least we know its not a problem with out phones
    04-13-09 06:08 PM
    I think the point of several of the previous posts is that most of the outages experienced are a carrier issue, usually local, but sometimes more widespread.

Widespread outages that are the result of a RIM problem are indeed extremely rare. Their uptime beats my comcast cable internet service, and is better than my corporate email availability.

Being without service is frustrating, but let's be sure we know who's to blame. It is not usually RIM.
    04-13-09 06:13 PM
    People are used to cable internet and tV outages, its accepted.

There are plenty of articles that anything less than 99.9% uptime for corporate email isnt acceptable. So far there have been 2 major RIM outages from Feb-April not including the various carrier BB outages.

Why are 2 major outages simply acceptable? If you dont care or use your phone for business use then great no harm no foul. But there are plenty of people who do and expect business quality email from RIM. But were all paying upwards of $30/month for this premium service, this isnt freebie gmail or yahoo email here. And **** even those dont go down as much for "maintenance." RIM should have plenty of $$$ to provide the correct hardware to prevent these kind of issues.

99.9% is the industry-wide accepted uptime for corporate email, which is just over 8 hours per year down. We've already surpassed that for the year between today and early February in terms of RIM itself, and its only the 4th month. No doubt it will happen again before 2009 is over. And this isnt even counting the carrier wide outages.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-13-09 at 06:36 PM.
    04-13-09 06:29 PM
    The archive shows a few problems reported every month from a range of telecos, but they are usually confined to singler carrier and short duration. I was unable to find a report which suggested an unplanned RIM outage (all carriers, any region) in the last 6 months.
    Does that make it any less important to the user that loses service? And do you honestly believe that when a carrier has an outage, its always 100% the fault of the carrier? And Its ok that 20% of BB users lose their service several times a year as long as you don't (or do)? I don't understand.

By the way, my email is still not working after 9 hours. 8130 on sprint using gmail.

04-13-09 08:00 PM
    good call. Think about it. If say ATT BBs lose BB service and other phones dont then is it really ALL ATT? Its obviously some part RIM too since its going through their server and all other ATT phones have data. Its not ATT's towers or ATT's backbone if all other devices work and only BB services are out.

And i agree service out is service out no matter who is at fault and its just been WAY too much lately with Blackberries, and this is RIM's service were talking about not ATT or any carrier who cant control BB outages themselves for the most part unless their network is totally out, which isnt the case in BB outages

I have nothing against Blackberry, i love my Bold. But were paying a premium for a premium business push email service and I for one want my moneys worth, not to be down constantly. A great phone is nothing more than a brick without working service after all.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-13-09 at 08:24 PM.
    04-13-09 08:09 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD