Enterprises and business/professionals will buy this phone at that price tag because they are not that price sensitive. ALso BlackBerry will achieve its short term goal of making high margin per Passport. Don't forget that all other BB10 phones will be running the 10.3 OS so the difference won't be substantial.
    You don't think businesses shop for price? In this economy?

Germany. 2014 FIFA World Cup Champs!
    07-22-14 02:42 PM
    I live in the real world. And it's the simple truth. It's not designed to make waves. People here have already said that blackberry themselves aren't expecting to sell a huge number.
    But fine I will humour the same old "you know nothing until it's released" hysterics we see with every launch only for the silence to follow

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    I'm confused by Crackberry lol. This device is supposed to make waves but I think that the scapegoat if it doesnt will be that it was never meant to sell like that because it was for enterprise.

I personally don't think this device is going the numbers many think it will because it's so "revolutionary"...but I do think the hype the phone has gives it a chance to do "decent" numbers for a BlackBerry. I would live to be wrong though lol

Posted via CB10
    lift and kbz1960 like this.
    07-22-14 02:42 PM
    BlackBerry should be trying to target everyone they can with their devices. They need the money. This bologna about targeting corporate only is silly considering the financial condition the company is in. People keep saying they need to fix their reputation. Well how are they going to do that without going after the people they need to fix their reputation with.
    07-22-14 02:44 PM
    BlackBerry says its square phone is already stealing back iOS and Android users (BGR)-img-20140719-wa004.jpg

It's ok

def a back pocket device, not for front pocket or jeans

*please note, this is not my device; a friend sent me the photo of his device*

Caribbean Z30
    Last edited by tr1ad; 07-22-14 at 03:10 PM.
    tinochiko and donmateo like this.
    07-22-14 02:47 PM
    That's a tiny receipt. lol
    wincyUt likes this.
    07-22-14 02:56 PM
    that's a pretty big phone!
    07-22-14 02:59 PM
    that's a pretty big phone!
    LOL
    07-22-14 03:03 PM
    It won't even take 6 months before we know the results. I will take your bet. After the official launch in September 2014, by the first of April 2015 we will be reading how the Passport sold some units initially, then when all the diehards have bought them, the sales will drop like a rock and the phone will be deemed a failure.
    Fair enough, the bet is on.
    07-22-14 03:08 PM
    I wonder if the width of Passport spans the length of Z10, looks like that is the case tr1ad's post. The Passport can be awesome for reading PDFs.
    07-22-14 03:10 PM
    BlackBerry should be trying to target everyone they can with their devices. They need the money. This bologna about targeting corporate only is silly considering the financial condition the company is in. People keep saying they need to fix their reputation. Well how are they going to do that without going after the people they need to fix their reputation with.
    Have you ever heard the saying "Jack of all trades, master of nothing"? Not everyone can buy a Maserati or Porsche or Benz. What has their purported target market got to do with reputation? As a matter of fact, those who can afford the sticker price of the Passport are less likely to whine and complain about any flaws of the phone; while those who have to "break the bank" to get the phone might expect "miracles" from it.
    BlackBerry should not attempt to please everyone.
    07-22-14 03:24 PM
    You don't think businesses shop for price? In this economy?

Do you seriously think business will totally sacrifice the "value added" it seeks for price? Price is not the only determinant factor that goes into all business decision making. Any business that concludes that Passport is a productivity beast will pay the money. Of course businesses that don't think so will not pay the price.
    07-22-14 03:34 PM
    Do you seriously think business will totally sacrifice the "value added" it seeks for price? Price is not the only determinant factor that goes into all business decision making. Any business that concludes that Passport is a productivity beast will pay the money. Of course businesses that don't think so will not pay the price.
    And how many will?

Sent from my N5
    07-22-14 03:38 PM
    Not that it really matters though. Apple would have to implode as a business to not sell all of them (maybe not in one quarter, but they'll all sell). Dunno why some sites even bothered to blog about it.
    That's a fair assumption; but facts should always be stated as facts and rumors clearly flagged too.
    07-22-14 03:41 PM
    Health care sectors? They use curves. Most businesses use curves. Most businesses do not use premium for their company phones.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    I agree that the Curve was a very good seller with business.... That said, there are many business that are now offering either an iPhone 5s or a Galaxy S5. Don't know how common that is but I think the budgets have been raised as the capabilities of devices have increased. A smartphone isn't just for email anymore. And it might have more to do with how carriers subsidizes the devices than the manufacture pricing....
    07-22-14 03:43 PM
    And how many will?

Sent from my N5
    I don't know. Do you know? Any crystal balls?
    07-22-14 03:43 PM
    Finger crossed on pricing

Posted via CB10
    07-22-14 03:59 PM
    I don't personally hate the Passport. I hate that BlackBerry is releasing it because I think it is going to further hurt their reputation and their bottom line. I care about the company.
    Everybody got that already but the problem is that

you think what you think because you personally don't like the device and therefore can't imagine anyone else outside CrackBerry will possibly like it

which is just narrow minded and short sighted.

There's absolutely nothing left to damage BlackBerrys perception for consumers, especially not those who comment on common tech blogs.

It'll be simply like that: BlackBerry aims at certain customers with this device, will ship 2.5-3M units during the first quarter of availability which will make it reach its initial goals of being profitable as well as restrengthen BlackBerrys reputation as a supplier for professional business equipment. At the same time commenters on BGR, other consumer-oriented publications as well as your friends and family will call it a 'failure' because it didn't catch on with teens, the average joe and sold like 20M units.

Just think whatever you want, I'm super pumped for this device and will gladly show it off.
    07-22-14 04:02 PM
    The Passport will be a high end "status phone" for those who can afford it. IMHO $899 is not expensive. I sincerely hope that BlackBerry does not price this phone cheap. People should buy phones according to their "budgets".
    A high-end status phone?

I wouldn't call a 1.5 year old processor high-end. The only thing high end about it would be the design, and the combination of the aforementioned processor icw the BBOS ( which i'm absolutely sure of won't be a problem ). The thing is this though, as much as i want this device to be a success, overpricing it won't make it a 'luxury object', because it will not win against a Note 4 or an iPhone 6, which i'm sure will be evenly priced, if not even lower ( if i'm supposed to believe the rumours, which i hope are false ).

And the second stupid thing which i STILL don't understand ( and probably never will ) is the lack of an ALT button icw the symbols on the keyboard. IMO the most unprofessional decision ever. 'Let's make the screen large but make the user fill it up with a useless bar ever frickin' time he wants to use symbols!'. If it ain't broke don't fix it, there was NOTHING wrong with the keyboard ( except for the obvious issues double-typing etc. ), just leave it the same and add the damn trackpad thing.

What Blackberry should do is take note of Xiaomi. They sell phones with some of the latest specs for almost nothing. Their latest phone has a 5 inch 1080p screen with a Snapdragon 801 processor @ 2.5 GHZ for 320 dollars. Sure, i won't be expecting Blackberry would do the same, but try to win back customers by pricing it decent. Sell this for 399 and it'll be the best selling phone of 2015, i will guarantee you that, with the proper marketing behind it. Should've launched it right about now as well, so that enough people could try it and tell their friends, they'll have to choose between plunking down another 700 dollars for a Note 4 / iPhone 6, or to get the cheaper weird-sexy-phone that everyone's talking about.
    lift and JeepBB like this.
    07-22-14 04:02 PM
    I don't know. Do you know? Any crystal balls?
    No but I'm not making predictions either.

07-22-14 04:04 PM
    They fkn can't compete that way which is exactly why they chose this path with the Passport. Or what did the Z30 do with BlackBerrys reputation? Carried by just a single carrier in the US? Lol
    07-22-14 04:05 PM
    A high-end status phone?

I wouldn't call a 1.5 year old processor high-end. The only thing high end about it would be the design, and the combination of the aforementioned processor icw the BBOS ( which i'm absolutely sure of won't be a problem ). The thing is this though, as much as i want this device to be a success, overpricing it won't make it a 'luxury object', because it will not win against a Note 4 or an iPhone 6, which i'm sure will be evenly priced, if not even lower ( if i'm supposed to believe the rumours, which i hope are false ).

And the second stupid thing which i STILL don't understand ( and probably never will ) is the lack of an ALT button icw the symbols on the keyboard. IMO the most unprofessional decision ever. 'Let's make the screen large but make the user fill it up with a useless bar ever frickin' time he wants to use symbols!'. If it ain't broke don't fix it, there was NOTHING wrong with the keyboard ( except for the obvious issues double-typing etc. ), just leave it the same and add the damn trackpad thing.

What Blackberry should do is take note of Xiaomi. They sell phones with some of the latest specs for almost nothing. Their latest phone has a 5 inch 1080p screen with a Snapdragon 801 processor @ 2.5 GHZ for 320 dollars. Sure, i won't be expecting Blackberry would do the same, but try to win back customers by pricing it decent. Sell this for 399 and it'll be the best selling phone of 2015, i will guarantee you that, with the proper marketing behind it. Should've launched it right about now as well, so that enough people could try it and tell their friends, they'll have to choose between plunking down another 700 dollars for a Note 4 / iPhone 6, or to get the cheaper weird-sexy-phone that everyone's talking about.
    OMG what a hilarious comment. Think first, then comment. Xiaomi is (1) chinese and (2) uses Android. END OF STORY.
    07-22-14 04:08 PM
    Blackberry have created a unique device

now they should flood the market with the Passport so hopefully the price tag wont be too high
    07-22-14 05:19 PM
    I agree...........the Pr1ck.
    07-22-14 05:24 PM
    The pricetag on the passport will be high. The keyboard will be one expensive piece of hardware, plus a load of top of the line specs to go along with it. It will be a premium price for a premium phone. Sorry.
    07-22-14 05:27 PM
    OMG what a hilarious comment. Think first, then comment. Xiaomi is (1) chinese and (2) uses Android. END OF STORY.
    Explain to me what's so hilarious. Who cares what country the company is from? The reason i used Xiaomi is because they sell mobile phones with the latest specs for prices that are below-average. If Xiaomi can sell a phone with specs like that for 300 +/- dollars, which i'd definitely call high-end, why should Blackberry sell a phone with mid-range specs for 6-700 dollars? ( Z30 ), and then be surprised that the phone is not selling all that well? If the Z30 was priced at 399, don't you think Blackberry would have had a bigger market share by now? More people that were willing to try the device, get to know the BB OS, they tell their friends, people are more open to try a BBRY device.

Second, the fact that it's android really makes no sense. You read the comment and then decide to insult someone because you think it's quirky and funny, but the 2 things you state make absolutely no sense at all. Let me explain it to you like you're a a five year old then ( Philadelphia shout-out ) :

What i'm saying is, BBRY have the chance to win some people over with this device. If it sells well, you can continue the series every year with a newer model ( Note anyone? ). If you price this device too high it will not fail, but it won't be as successful as it could be. People are so used to Android phones, iPhones, and going BACK to a Blackberry will not be because people say it's such a good phone. The people that are hooked on Android and iOS phones could try this phone is if it's cheaper than the competition. If you love Nike sneakers that are priced 100 dollars and you need a new pair but don't have a lot of money to spend, you could opt for a cheaper option, let's say Asics that are 50 dollars. After using it a couple of weeks you might enjoy them so much and wonder why you've been spending so much money on Nikes when you could've had a better pair for a cheaper price. Next pair you buy will be Asics, and why? Because you tried it, you liked it and you save money.

Price this phone too high and not a lot of people will buy it, hell even carriers don't want to take the plunge with BBRY phones. Give it a sweet price, earn a bigger piece of the pie ( market share ) and then you can price your phones at around 6-700. Had this same discussion last year. Wanted to buy the Z30, which was priced HIGHER than a Note 3. If that's not a slap in the face i don't know what is.

Oh and when i said take note of Xiaomi, i never mentioned the OS once. It was all about manufacturing a phone with new(er) components and then giving them a cheap price. Did you see me say anything about the OS?

Don't be a smartass, and don't act like a ****.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-22-14 06:20 PM
287 ... 34567 ...