The Z3 is an entry device and the Classic, if it really costs around the 350$ mark as rumoured, will be a mid-end device.

The Passport being rumoured to cost 600$ is a high-end device that is finally priced like it should be.
    So I was wrong because the smartphone market in general gets segmented by specs vs price. Okay.
    07-26-14 07:02 PM
    The Z3 is an entry device and the Classic, if it really costs around the 350$ mark as rumoured, will be a mid-end device.

The Passport being rumoured to cost 600$ is a high-end device that is finally priced like it should be.
    The specs nearly warrant that price. And I actually doubt that the Passport is solely aimed at business customers.

The way I see it, is that the Passport is the logical evolution of the keyboard form-factor. The only way to keep it relevant in the mid-term.
    The Classic however, together with the LTE Z3 are the business devices for "the west".

The Passport on the other hand, is a phone meant for all the people who went to all touch devices, because of their bigger screens and entertainment value.
    Compared to the rest of the market, the Classic has a small display.
    A display that gets considerably smaller, when watching 16:9 content.
    The later also applies to the Passport, but because the screen size is overall a lot bigger, the viewing experience should be tolerable.

The Passport might find its way into the higher management (I don't buy the health care sector thing. The iPad is just better suited and already deployed), but in no way, will it get mass deployed. Which however, could be the case for the Classic.

Anyhow, the Passport is probably much more of a consumer device than some think in here.
    The specs situated in the higher end of the market, aren't needed for a business device. They are however, something of importance for the consumer market.
    The phone is an attempt to get people back who still like the physical keyboard, but switched to a competing manufacturer because of the shortcomings from current physical keyboard devices.

Posted via CB10
    I don't even see any correlation between your post here and the one of me you answered. I think you should just start writing a blog.
    07-26-14 07:03 PM
    Well, compiled yourself... its not so easy guys, but even if CM drops support (hardly ann option because its their darling) there will be many unofficial CM builds.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not saying it's easy, I'm saying it can be done. Whether it's an unofficial CM build or a different ROM, this device has a long future.
    07-26-14 07:05 PM
    How can you suddenly guarantee that?
    I'd take that bet.
    avt123 likes this.
    07-26-14 07:26 PM
    It will be interesting to see how BlackBerry juggles the navigation aspect of the entire line of devices. I thought they were going to sunset the Q10 and Q5 and just go back to the classic than the introduction of the Passport really changed things.

I'm sure BlackBerry will do their best to make both devices as efficient as possible for their users but what about app developers who have to develop apps for full touch Z10/Z30/Z3, classic and the Q10/Q5/Passport line?

Posted via my Q10
    07-26-14 07:47 PM
    So I was wrong because the smartphone market in general gets segmented by specs vs price. Okay.
    The Z3 isn't a business device currently, and hasn't been introduced as such. It was launched as a consumer device for emerging markets.
    The LTE version will very probably be the one for business customers.
    You have it segmented through price, specs and region.
    That was the fault for the Z3.

I don't even see any correlation between your post here and the one of me you answered. I think you should just start writing a blog.
    You should read it again, I guess?
    There were a number of things I responded to, which I consider wrong because they don't make sense when we look at what BlackBerry is doing.

One of them was about the Passport. It's not a device that is mainly aimed at business customers, this is very probably wrong.
    It's much rather a device that is aimed at everyone who doesn't dislike keyboards, but disliked the drawbacks of the form-factor up until now (mostly gone with the Passport).
    In that sense, the Passport isn't mostly aimed at enterprises but much rather the consumer.
    Another hint for that being the case, are the competitive specs of the Passport.

The Classic on the other hand, isn't mostly aimed at business customers, it's nearly exclusively meant for business customers.
    And together with the LTE Z3, they should be the devices wich are getting mass deployed in that environment.

To say it simply: I disagreed with you and told you why.

(Blogs are so old school... Hmmm... If I ever start one, I'll call it "Over the Bridge", though.)

Posted via CB10
    reeneebob, JeepBB and kbz1960 like this.
    07-27-14 12:12 AM
    I would really hope that Blackberry would get the passport and the classic to market before Apple releases the iPhone 6? But I don't think that will happen.

The device also needs to be priced better then their competitors if they expect it to be successful.

As I said in many of my post on the passport pricing subject. They are no longer a premium brand and need to get their products into the hands of both consumer and the business world again.

If you think they can set a high price and expect the business world to just say OK, your dead wrong my friends. As a business person my self, any new purchases I make for my company better have the words "value added" written all over it or I am not spending my hard earned money on it, period.

This is 2014 and not 2007 and allot has changed since them. Do you think these companies are letting folks use their own devices in these BYOD programs out of their goodness of their hearts?

No, it's because it smart business folks. Why go out and provide new devices to your employees when you can't let then use their own devices at their expense? In my opinion it's one of the smartest ideas someone has come up with yet.

If you want the business world to look at blackberry again, the products better be priced better then what they currently have and have the support and long term stability to back them up. It's just that simple.

Sent from my lovely z30 on T Mobile USA
    kbz1960 and itsachickthing like this.
    07-27-14 05:19 AM
    The Z3 isn't a business device currently, and hasn't been introduced as such. It was launched as a consumer device for emerging markets.
    The LTE version will very probably be the one for business customers.
    You have it segmented through price, specs and region.
    That was the fault for the Z3.

You should read it again, I guess?
    There were a number of things I responded to, which I consider wrong because they don't make sense when we look at what BlackBerry is doing.

One of them was about the Passport. It's not a device that is mainly aimed at business customers, this is very probably wrong.
    It's much rather a device that is aimed at everyone who doesn't dislike keyboards, but disliked the drawbacks of the form-factor up until now (mostly gone with the Passport).
    In that sense, the Passport isn't mostly aimed at enterprises but much rather the consumer.
    Another hint for that being the case, are the competitive specs of the Passport.

The Classic on the other hand, isn't mostly aimed at business customers, it's nearly exclusively meant for business customers.
    And together with the LTE Z3, they should be the devices wich are getting mass deployed in that environment.

To say it simply: I disagreed with you and told you why.

(Blogs are so old school... Hmmm... If I ever start one, I'll call it "Over the Bridge", though.)

Posted via CB10
    Well I for one doesn't disagree with you and didn't mean to count consumers out a 100%. Of course should the Passport attract consumers as well, but first and foremost, "professional" users who see the benefits of a keyboard and such a wide screen. After all even business users are consumers afterhours. When I say "business users" I don't exclusively mean B2B and company issued handsets. You have to have top notch specs no matter who target (even business users), otherwise BlackBerry could just as well leave their handset business at the Bold 9900.
    07-27-14 06:00 AM
    Its not stealing back anything except possibilities. Its gaining some interest but until it releases we don't know how it will do or if anyone will buy it. Itsv good to see publicity but at this point its nothing more then a lot of maybes.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    07-27-14 12:55 PM
    I would like to see some data from bbry on this claim. Oh wait. How can there be any? The thing isn't even for sale yet.

Better to say, there is interest which is far from winning or stealing back.
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-02-14 02:53 PM
    I would like to see some data from bbry on this claim. Oh wait. How can there be any? The thing isn't even for sale yet.

Better to say, there is interest which is far from winning or stealing back.
    Chen said that because he decided to switch from his iPhone to a Passport.

Posted via CB10 with Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3175
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-02-14 03:14 PM
    Chen said that because he decided to switch from his iPhone to a Passport.

Posted via CB10 with Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3175
    And the rest of his family lol
    08-02-14 03:20 PM
287 ... 101112