I don't know....
    What does it say that the most popular phone on the market uses it?

I said that everyone wants an aesthetically pleasing phone. There was no opinion on what should be universally qualified as such. Just what I would prefer.

That's awesome!
    But... What does it have to do with what I said?

Is it because I said that other phones have a better value proposition for more than 99% of the market?

I bought the Z10 at launch and understanding where the competition is going, I didn't buy a Z30.
    Why didn't you get one?

Posted via CB10
    A tad too big and I don't like AMOLED, especially not at that low density.
    07-26-14 09:57 AM
    A tad too big and I don't like AMOLED, especially not at that low density.
    Yeah, I didn't really appreciate the display as well.
    But I remember the threads saying how 720p is enough for everything...

So the Passport is definitely a step into the right direction.
    If Apple doesn't have a 5+ inch iPhone, I'll probably buy the Passport without a second thought.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 10:15 AM
    I wouldn't buy a Z30, but I got an invite to buy a OnePlus One and I had no hesitation on that one. For $350, the amount of tech you get in that phone (64GB, 801 Snapdragon Quadcore, 3GB of RAM factory unlocked) made it a no brainer.

If BlackBerry doesn't price competitively, well...

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 12:04 PM
    I wouldn't buy a Z30, but I got an invite to buy a OnePlus One and I had no hesitation on that one. For $350, the amount of tech you get in that phone (64GB, 801 Snapdragon Quadcore, 3GB of RAM factory unlocked) made it a no brainer.

If BlackBerry doesn't price competitively, well...

Posted via CB10
    That's a phone that sounds good on paper, especially at that price to play around with it. But as a daily driver for two years....I don't think so. It's a phone you buy, play around with and replace a few months later by the next cheap China phone with even better specs.
    spikesolie likes this.
    07-26-14 12:08 PM
    That's a phone that sounds good on paper, especially at that price to play around with it. But as a daily driver for two years....I don't think so. It's a phone you buy, play around with and replace a few months later by the next cheap China phone with even better specs.
    Have you used one? Have you seen one? Because I have...and you aren't giving it enough credit.
    07-26-14 12:23 PM
    Have you used one? Have you seen one? Because I have...and you aren't giving it enough credit.
    I think his point is.. does the hardware backup the software?

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 01:30 PM
    I can see this finding a niche with people, but in all honesty, it feels like its too little too late. I certainly wouldn't find it appealing but I've also not tried one out in practice so I could change my mind if I did see one in public.
    07-26-14 01:43 PM
    Its a damn good phone. I'm not big fan of Android and I'm not crazy about hottest specs, but this phone is really, really good, even great. When we thought that Nexus line gave best value for the money, 1+ has raised bar even higher.

Posted via CB10
    reeneebob likes this.
    07-26-14 01:54 PM
    ^ As I said a number of times already, the price war will only intensify and BlackBerry has to take a part in it as well.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 01:56 PM
    ^ As I said a number of times already, the price war will only intensify and BlackBerry has to take a part in it as well.

Posted via CB10
    With the Z3, yes. With their "pro" offerings....not so much.
    07-26-14 04:20 PM
    It's an Android all touch slab so how good can it be really? I have quite some experience with Galaxy S devices, Nexus devices, HTC Ones and the Xperia Z2. None of those impress me nor would they work as a daily driver for me (even far from it). So what magic is it the OnePlus One has that all others don't?
    07-26-14 04:23 PM
    With the Z3, yes. With their "pro" offerings....not so much.
    Flagships are already becoming cheaper.
    Even Apple understands that they can't ask 650$ for a 4 inch phone.

The high-end offerings will become cheaper as well.

It's an Android all touch slab so how good can it be really? I have quite some experience with Galaxy S devices, Nexus devices, HTC Ones and the Xperia Z2. None of those impress me nor would they work as a daily driver for me (even far from it). So what magic is it the OnePlus One has that all others don't?
    You not liking Android doesn't mean that BlackBerry shouldn't use current specs for their phones.
    And going by the Passport, BlackBerry agrees with me.

When the Z30 launched, I said that a phone for 600$ has to prove that it's worth that price, and certain specs are mandatory when you demand such a price.
    (a 720p display for example, is something you will find in 300$ phones.)
    With the Passport, BlackBerry seems to have finally understood that principle.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 04:33 PM
    It has a slightly better performance in almost all areas than competition, plus it has CM behind software which means faster updates and bug fixes.
    But, for a guys that don't like Android its a just another stupid Droid which is also legit.

Posted via CB10
    reeneebob likes this.
    07-26-14 04:37 PM
    As good as most people deem it to be, which is pretty darned good. Not you, but that's OK. We're all different.

Germany. 2014 FIFA World Cup Champs!
    reeneebob likes this.
    07-26-14 04:39 PM
    Flagships are already becoming cheaper.
    Even Apple understands that they can't ask 650$ for a 4 inch phone.

The high-end offerings will become cheaper as well.

Posted via CB10
    The Z3 is an alltouch phone targeting consumers as well as business users in emerging markets.

The Classic and the Passport aim at keyboard users (mainly business) in developed markets. A PKB device will never compete directly with all touch phones. Either you want a keyboard or you don't.
    07-26-14 04:40 PM
    But, for a guys that don't like Android its a just another stupid Droid which is also legit.
    Nuff said :-P
    07-26-14 04:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    So far the vast opinion is a resounding YES.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 05:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes, unless you do not like Android. This device will have a longer upgrade path than any BB10 device on the market.
    07-26-14 05:12 PM
    The Z3 is an alltouch phone targeting consumers as well as business users in emerging markets.

The Classic and the Passport aim at keyboard users (mainly business) in developed markets. A PKB device will never compete directly with all touch phones. Either you want a keyboard or you don't.
    The Z3 is an entry device and the Classic, if it really costs around the 350$ mark as rumoured, will be a mid-end device.

The Passport being rumoured to cost 600$ is a high-end device that is finally priced like it should be.
    The specs nearly warrant that price. And I actually doubt that the Passport is solely aimed at business customers.

The way I see it, is that the Passport is the logical evolution of the keyboard form-factor. The only way to keep it relevant in the mid-term.
    The Classic however, together with the LTE Z3 are the business devices for "the west".

The Passport on the other hand, is a phone meant for all the people who went to all touch devices, because of their bigger screens and entertainment value.
    Compared to the rest of the market, the Classic has a small display.
    A display that gets considerably smaller, when watching 16:9 content.
    The later also applies to the Passport, but because the screen size is overall a lot bigger, the viewing experience should be tolerable.

The Passport might find its way into the higher management (I don't buy the health care sector thing. The iPad is just better suited and already deployed), but in no way, will it get mass deployed. Which however, could be the case for the Classic.

Anyhow, the Passport is probably much more of a consumer device than some think in here.
    The specs situated in the higher end of the market, aren't needed for a business device. They are however, something of importance for the consumer market.
    The phone is an attempt to get people back who still like the physical keyboard, but switched to a competing manufacturer because of the shortcomings from current physical keyboard devices.

Posted via CB10
    m1kr0 and spike12 like this.
    07-26-14 05:30 PM
    Yes, unless you do not like Android. This device will have a longer upgrade path than any BB10 device on the market.
    How can you suddenly guarantee that?

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 05:46 PM
    A high-end status phone?

I wouldn't call a 1.5 year old processor high-end. The only thing high end about it would be the design, and the combination of the aforementioned processor icw the BBOS ( which i'm absolutely sure of won't be a problem ). The thing is this though, as much as i want this device to be a success, overpricing it won't make it a 'luxury object', because it will not win against a Note 4 or an iPhone 6, which i'm sure will be evenly priced, if not even lower ( if i'm supposed to believe the rumours, which i hope are false ).

And the second stupid thing which i STILL don't understand ( and probably never will ) is the lack of an ALT button icw the symbols on the keyboard. IMO the most unprofessional decision ever. 'Let's make the screen large but make the user fill it up with a useless bar ever frickin' time he wants to use symbols!'. If it ain't broke don't fix it, there was NOTHING wrong with the keyboard ( except for the obvious issues double-typing etc. ), just leave it the same and add the damn trackpad thing.

What Blackberry should do is take note of Xiaomi. They sell phones with some of the latest specs for almost nothing. Their latest phone has a 5 inch 1080p screen with a Snapdragon 801 processor @ 2.5 GHZ for 320 dollars. Sure, i won't be expecting Blackberry would do the same, but try to win back customers by pricing it decent. Sell this for 399 and it'll be the best selling phone of 2015, i will guarantee you that, with the proper marketing behind it. Should've launched it right about now as well, so that enough people could try it and tell their friends, they'll have to choose between plunking down another 700 dollars for a Note 4 / iPhone 6, or to get the cheaper weird-sexy-phone that everyone's talking about.
    FYI vertu phones often have two and three year old specs and are priced and considered luxury/high end devices to those who buy them.

"I love when people boast about their phones...like its a pissing contest"
    07-26-14 05:47 PM
    How can you suddenly guarantee that?

Posted via CB10
    Are you kidding? It is Android, you can upgrade it yourself. You cannot do that with a BlackBerry. There are 4+ year old devices running 4.4 right now.
    TgeekB, tre10, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    07-26-14 06:04 PM
    Are you kidding? It is Android, you can upgrade it yourself. You cannot do that with a BlackBerry. There are 4+ year old devices running 4.4 right now.
    Not to mention its Cyanogen. You know, the guys still romming and supporting 5+ year old devices.
    avt123 and pantlesspenguin like this.
    07-26-14 06:07 PM
    Not to mention its Cyanogen. You know, the guys still romming and supporting 5+ year old devices.
    Exactly. This device will have a very long upgrade path, whether it is official (from Cyanogen), or compiled yourself.
    07-26-14 06:24 PM
    Exactly. This device will have a very long upgrade path, whether it is official (from Cyanogen), or compiled yourself.
    Well, compiled yourself... its not so easy guys, but even if CM drops support (hardly ann option because its their darling) there will be many unofficial CM builds.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 06:48 PM
287 ... 9101112