To be completely honest, I can't justify getting a passport and it's giantness. I do 100% plan on picking up a Z30 which looks like it will be a heck of a deal when these come out.

Edit: not that anyone cares
    I care. You will really like the Z30.
    07-22-14 10:03 PM
    The comments are pretty harsh, how can anyone make these terrible comments without having used the device...I don't get it.

Z30 on 10.2.1 in Kitchener (Canada)
    It's what some tech writers do. It's like a new type of shock jock. They know some folks are overly invested in inanimate objects, and look to get a rise out of them. Opinions make money.

Think about it: BB folks "defending" by attacking the writer and continuously talking about the article work to HIS advantage.
    07-22-14 10:05 PM
    Many will be left with humble pie in their face...

Posted via CB10
    Mmmmmm pie

HTC TOUCH, Nokia-N97, BlackBerry Torch 9800, Z10
    07-22-14 10:17 PM
    Read my post that comes after that. I'm talking purely about pricing.

Xiaomi want to claim a piece of the market by selling phones dirt-cheap, by doing so they are , thus far, succeeding.

Blackberry, who once was among the top 3 now has to fight their way back to the top. Giving your phones the same price, or ever higher for that matter, as a flagship model that your competition releases will not help sales.
    Xiaomi can do so because they operate on a different business model. This has been discussed on another thread before.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-14 10:18 PM
    So whats your criticism? I know nothing about them except they have been in the news lately selling devices at decent prices.

Posted with my Q
    Different business model. Xiaomi relies on word of mouth and are not really a software company. Basically they are hardware based and rely on getting their phones in the hands of as much as possible.

BlackBerry aren't hardware base alone. Competitive pricing yes they need that... however selling quality phones dirt cheap no

Posted via CB10
    07-22-14 10:20 PM
    So all the raving about it on here means nothing either. The phone isn't even out yet.
    It's a fan site?

Posted via CB10
    07-22-14 10:21 PM
    It's a fan site?

Posted via CB10
    That allows for perspectives that don't have to be one-sided.
    07-22-14 11:00 PM
    Yeah affordability will be a good thing for all new adopters of the phone for sure.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-14 11:21 PM
    That allows for perspectives that don't have to be one-sided.
    But the guy is bashing cber for being optimistic. If it's a fan site, product optimism shouldn't be a surprise. Product pessimism is okay as long as it's not meant to mock or attack fans for not being equally pessimistic

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    07-23-14 12:32 AM
    Explain to me what's so hilarious. Who cares what country the company is from? The reason i used Xiaomi is because they sell mobile phones with the latest specs for prices that are below-average. If Xiaomi can sell a phone with specs like that for 300 +/- dollars, which i'd definitely call high-end, why should Blackberry sell a phone with mid-range specs for 6-700 dollars?
    That's exactly my point: Xiaomi can do that because opposed to BlackBerry they're Chinese (read: located in China) and use a barely modified version of a free OS.

I wrote that in a different thread already but here again:
    - much lower labor costs throughout the entire company (and not only labor, everything else as well)
    - highly standardized mass market phone parts
    - free OS no R&D goes into
    - enormous economies of scale since their domestic market is has a population of over 1.3 billion people (that's almost 20% of the world population)
    - most likely much lower taxes
    Dave Bourque and spikesolie like this.
    07-23-14 01:14 AM
    Second, the fact that it's android really makes no sense. You read the comment and then decide to insult someone because you think it's quirky and funny, but the 2 things you state make absolutely no sense at all. Let me explain it to you like you're a a five year old then ( Philadelphia shout-out ) :

Oh and when i said take note of Xiaomi, i never mentioned the OS once. It was all about manufacturing a phone with new(er) components and then giving them a cheap price. Did you see me say anything about the OS?

Don't be a smartass, and don't act like a ****.
    So you have absolutely no clue how tightly business location, domestic market, OS, form factor and price are meshed together and accuse me of making no sense, yet I AM the five year old smarta$$. Okay.

Do everyone a favor and visit a business class before you come up with such advices for a company.
    Timbosaurus likes this.
    07-23-14 01:46 AM
    So you have absolutely no clue how tightly business location, domestic market, OS, form factor and price are meshed together and accuse me of making no sense, yet I AM the five year old smarta$$. Okay.

Do everyone a favor and visit a business class before you come up with such advices for a company.
    Don't bother. I already tried to concise it in a 4 line a page before this. Basically 2 different business models. But this business PhD guy...man impressive

Posted via CB10
    07-23-14 01:59 AM

It must be so hard for Chinese companies to release $300 high-end smartphones with almost no R&D costs, cheap chinese labor and like you said low taxes lol...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    07-23-14 02:01 AM
    I have always thought that the style change is not the most important factor in regaining customer that is upgrading the machine's configuration will bring prospects in sales for Blackberry.
    07-23-14 06:10 AM
    People here in this forum are making all kinds of positive and negative comments and none of them have used it either. Comments and opinions are everybody's right. Doesn't mean you are right or wrong.
    It's not about being right or wrong, and of coarse everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, this is about judging something without having all the information, seeing a picture verses having the actual device in your hands is like saying you visited the Pyramids but you actually only viewed them in a picture, big difference. Means your opinion has no foundation, which is the issue with many (not all) of these negative comments.

07-23-14 07:07 AM
    It's not about being right or wrong, and of coarse everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, this is about judging something without having all the information, seeing a picture verses having the actual device in your hands is like saying you visited the Pyramids but you actually only viewed them in a picture, big difference. Means your opinion has no foundation, which is the issue with many (not all) of these negative comments.

So we shouldn't discuss the Passport or Classic until they come out?

That would be boring.

Germany. 2014 FIFA World Cup Champs!
    07-23-14 08:24 AM
    Not at all what I said, it was about passing judgment as opinion without experience.

07-23-14 09:07 AM
    It must be so hard for Chinese companies to release $300 high-end smartphones with almost no R&D costs, cheap chinese labor and like you said low taxes lol...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    It's also telling they don't sell in countries where trademark and IP are an issue. Very good value phones, though.
    07-23-14 09:10 AM
    Not at all what I said, it was about passing judgment as opinion without experience.

But how can we have experience before it comes out? It's just opinion. Some people have said they're buying one and have never held nor used it. We're all in the same boat.

Germany. 2014 FIFA World Cup Champs!
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    07-23-14 09:12 AM
    Just read the information on the new Passport and saw some videos. Looks cool and different and something to shake up the smartphone same-mo. Just might go for the Blackberry in 9 months.
    Welcome to CrackBerry
    07-23-14 09:19 AM
    BGR is setting BBRY up LOL. Slick.
    Couldn't agree more.

Posted Securely Via BlackBerry 10.
    07-23-14 09:56 AM
    BGR is setting BBRY up LOL. Slick.
    How so? For a failure you mean?

Posted via CB10
    07-23-14 10:02 AM
    Don't bother. I already tried to concise it in a 4 line a page before this. Basically 2 different business models. But this business PhD guy...man impressive

Posted via CB10
    No, what you did was reply shortly, then change the post with the whole explanation afterwards which i just read.

Let me put it this way then, make it a lot easier for you to understand perhaps.

Samsung releases phones with high end specs @ a high end price. A phone with a 700 dollar pricetag will be on-par with the latest specifications. Blackberry released phones with mid-end specs and wanted the full price for it.

I don't care how much taxes, r&d costs, labor costs etc. you have, if they do the same thing with the passport, it-will-not-sell-well.

So what Xiaomi is doing right now is saying : F- it. We don't need to make ( a lot of ) profit, we'll sell the phones cheap and get some customers.

What BBRY should do is simple, don't sell this phone for 7-800 dollars, don't sell it for 2-300 dollars. I'm not saying they shouldn't make a profit, i'm just saying, don't go crazy with the pricing, damn.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-23-14 10:06 AM
    So we shouldn't discuss the Passport or Classic until they come out?

That would be boring.
    Discussing, having an opinion, being concerned, listening to others, disagreeing, sometimes agreeing and re-thinking his own opinion, raising questions: yes

Hammering on everybody with a different opinion, in an estimated 800 posts, spread across an estimated 50 threads, implying to own the one and only ultimate truth, never really listening because of being totally convinced of being the most wise and knowledgeable individual, as opposed to all others, while constantly claiming to actually being a BB supporter, but in reality just damaging the reputation of a yet to be released product and the entire brand - and all of that based upon a few images and videos only: no no

It's all about the language being used, and the style of a discussion, which makes the difference between an incredibly annoying and a very valuable contributor.
    Last edited by gnirkatto; 07-23-14 at 10:41 AM. Reason: forgot something....
    deptech and Katika99 like this.
    07-23-14 10:34 AM

That just makes no sense. Most people don't JUST look at something and pass judgment and make opinions. Some people look at something, read the specs, read reviews and do as much research as they can. Then they make judgements and form opinions. So you don't make opinions on a new car unless you drive it? Despite the fact that you can read all about it's specs, look at pictures, etc.
    So if I don't like an SUV (too big, gas hog, just don't like the look, whatever) because I prefer a car, even though I never drove an SUV, I have no right to judge it or make an opinion?
    Not actually using an object, no matter what that object is, does not automatically mean you can not make an INFORMED decision of whether that device is bad, good, stupid or whatever.
    07-23-14 10:39 AM
287 ... 56789 ...