Yikes. And Apple already ordered between 70 and 80 million new iPhones from their factory suppliers this year. If the Passport steals a million sales from them then...
    07-21-14 09:03 PM
    Until the sales back this statement up it means nothing.

Posted via CB10
    cribble2k and Blacklatino like this.
    07-21-14 09:27 PM
    Umm..chill

Posted via CB10
    OrangeUK is raging tonight. :P

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 09:27 PM
    I just hope blackberry launch this phone with right price.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    07-21-14 09:36 PM
    We'll see if Chen understands that BlackBerry isn't the premium brand it once was. I'm not sure they can pull off high profit margins and still bring it plenty of new users at this point.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry is a brand with much value. Chen does understand the value to the brand which is why he is working tirelessly to bring it back to profitability. IT would be wise to sit back and accept the BlackBerry Passport as a premium device. If you are unable to afford the price tag, sit back again and watch others enjoy.

My point here is that, BlackBerry devices have always offered more than the competition. BlackBerry devices cover all aspects of mobile communication - security, communication, productivity, multi-tasking; an all round device. Other manufactured devices fail in areas where BlackBerry consistently prove to be the best device. That in itself is PREMIUM.

BlackBerry constantly shows the market that a mobile device does not have to have high specs to be premium; other may beg to differ. In addition, the Z3 or Q5 does the very same that the Z30, BlackBerry Passport and Classic do. That is, give you PREMIUM packaged devices.
    Q10Bold and wincyUt like this.
    07-21-14 10:03 PM
    BlackBerry is a brand with much value. Chen does understand the value to the brand which is why he is working tirelessly to bring it back to profitability. IT would be wise to sit back and accept the BlackBerry Passport as a premium device. If you are unable to afford the price tag, sit back again and watch others enjoy.

My point here is that, BlackBerry devices have always offered more than the competition. BlackBerry devices cover all aspects of mobile communication - security, communication, productivity, multi-tasking; an all round device. Other manufactured devices fail in areas where BlackBerry consistently prove to be the best device. That in itself is PREMIUM.

BlackBerry constantly shows the market that a mobile device does not have to have high specs to be premium; other may beg to differ. In addition, the Z3 or Q5 does the very same that the Z30, BlackBerry Passport and Classic do. That is, give you PREMIUM packaged devices.
    Interesting theory.

Posted via CB10
    RH1Pearl and TGR1 like this.
    07-21-14 10:10 PM
    BGR is setting BBRY up LOL. Slick.
    No doubt. Waiting patiently and licking their chops.
    07-21-14 10:32 PM
    Everyone in this thread is missing the big picture. Read the comments to the story. All of them. More than 3/4 of the comments make fun of the phone and BlackBerry as a company. I have been saying this since the phone was first introduced. The general public will take one look at it and laugh at it. Then when they see it's a BlackBerry they will laugh even harder. The comments are stupid, I agree. But what I have been trying to say all along is the general public is going to make a quick judgement of the phone when they look at it. Doesn't matter how great it works or if it can do your laundry. People judge by first impressions. If you don't think the phone is funny looking then you are in the very small minority.
    This phone is going to go down the drain and take BlackBerry with it. My opinion and I hope I am wrong, but the more this phone get's out there, the more it seems to be made fun of.
    tack and JesseBabe23 like this.
    07-21-14 10:51 PM
    Like when the z10 was breaking all the records I guess

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    07-22-14 12:40 AM
    And telecommuncatively bankrupt before your first bill drops in your e/mail. Just to **** Apple of stealing their strategy BB should relocate to NYC. BIG.....
    Okay!?

Posted via CB10
    07-22-14 12:42 AM

BlackBerry has shown nothing except that charging premium prices with nothing to show for it does not work. Z10 cost premium and failed, so did the z30.
    Blackberry 10 still needs work. The passport is designed to sell in smaller numbers then the the z10 and z30. The classic remains to be seen on how it will fare

Rello, Blacklatino and kbz1960 like this.
    07-22-14 12:46 AM
    The "screen" is square, the phone isn't...
    07-22-14 12:48 AM
    maybe no one from BlackBerry said a word....could be them people at BGR are hearing voices in their darn heads
    07-22-14 12:58 AM
    BlackBerry has shown nothing except that charging premium prices with nothing to show for it does not work. Z10 cost premium and failed, so did the z30.
    Blackberry 10 still needs work. The passport is designed to sell in smaller numbers then the the z10 and z30. The classic remains to be seen on how it will fare

MARKETING

Check Out TechCraze
    Blacklatino likes this.
    07-22-14 01:18 AM
    MARKETING

Check Out TechCraze
    Unfortunately it will take more then marketing.
    Marketing is no longer BlackBerry's excuse. A lot of people have heard of blackberry 10 and they have rejected it.
    The os needs polishing and it needs to be experienced.
    Only by using it will people be able to see what it's really like. That's the challenge blackberry has now.

JeepBB, Blacklatino, tack and 1 others like this.
    07-22-14 01:36 AM
    Marketing is no longer BlackBerry's excuse. A lot of people have heard of blackberry 10 and they have rejected it.
    Only by using it will people be able to see what it's really like. That's the challenge blackberry has now.

I was talking about your reference to poor Z10 sales, that had more to do with marketing than pricing, price is just one piece of the marketing puzzle, BlackBerry needed to appropriately promote and place their product.

Check Out TechCraze
    Blacklatino likes this.
    07-22-14 01:58 AM
    I was talking about your reference to poor Z10 sales, that had more to do with marketing than pricing, price is just one piece of the marketing puzzle, BlackBerry needed to appropriately promote and place their product.

Check Out TechCraze
    Actually while I think marketing played a part I believe it was the price, which was stupidly high, that killed the z10.
    Curves sold by the bucket load without marketing and the z10 was overpriced as blackberry was intent on squeezing money from its loyal fans

Bbnivende likes this.
    07-22-14 02:13 AM
    Actually while I think marketing played a part I believe it was the price, which was stupidly high, that killed the z10.
    Curves sold by the bucket load without marketing and the z10 was overpriced as blackberry was intent on squeezing money from its loyal fans

Imo the Z10 was not overpriced - that phone is at least 10 times better today than when it came out. How many other phones can do that?
    07-22-14 02:20 AM
    Imo the Z10 was not overpriced - that phone is at least 10 times better today than when it came out. How many other phones can do that?
    It was stupidly overpriced. There's nothing it could do that comparable phones at the time couldn't. Except maybe die faster.
    I love my z10 but it was not worth the money I paid for it on day one.
    And at the time not many people were going to pay the same money for a device from a company that has a negative reputation and an untested os when they could get a big name device with proven os for the same amount.
    The z10 has only got better in that blackberry 10 has become a bit more polished. It was not ready for release and still can do with some polishing

07-22-14 02:26 AM

Curve sold because of low price but also pre-set demand for the brand.. in 2013 demand for anything BlackBerry related was low do for anything to sell it would need to be promoted like hell, even with low funds they could have innovated something low cost, high impact..

Look the Z10 here in the UK is worth maybe around �140 ~ $200, and that may increase sales a little, but not a lot because there's still little demand for anything BlackBerry related..

Now the Z3 is selling well (I estimate, since no actual figures are yet available just out of stock shops) because BlackBerry is engaging in promotion efforts AND the price is low but the Z3 is meant to be low priced.. the Z10 was intended to be a flagship so a low price would have made things worse as it looks like BlackBerry themselves are saying the phone isn't worth it..

E.g. Would you buy a Veyron someone wanted to sell to you for �100,000 no questions asked? Or would you question what made it so worth-less? Flagship + high end phones are not generally for the price conscious, now that it has been re targeted as mid range we can talk price value, but most flagships are subsidised by contracts anyway so the end cost for the consumer is the same (carrier dependant) just an upgrade..

Check Out TechCraze
    07-22-14 02:30 AM

From my experience (france and italy) I can say marketing is still the main issue. Only people with tech interest know BB10 for the rest of them (99%) they rely on tv, paper ads and the more commonly sold devices (apple and samsung that carriers heavily promote).
    Once you put a BB10 device in somebody's hands for the first time he/she usually finds it very easy and appealing (they love the way you can do what you want with all of your files without Apple's limitations for sharing for example) and the browser - about 75% of people's use of a smartphone- is what they appreciate at first sight (youtube, java etc that work painlessly).
    So marketing and people's initiation are still the sinews of war from my experience (not the polishing of BB10 even if that is very important too)

Posted via CB10
    tinochiko and spikesolie like this.
    07-22-14 02:58 AM
    From my experience (france and italy) I can say marketing is still the main issue. Only people with tech interest know BB10 for the rest of them (99%) they rely on tv, paper ads and the more commonly sold devices (apple and samsung that carriers heavily promote).
    Once you put a BB10 device in somebody's hands for the first time he/she usually finds it very easy and appealing (they love the way you can do what you want with all of your files without Apple's limitations for sharing for example) and the browser - about 75% of people's use of a smartphone- is what they appreciate at first sight (youtube, java etc that work painlessly).
    So marketing and people's initiation are still the sinews of war from my experience (not the polishing of BB10 even if that is very important too)

Posted via CB10
    I think you proved my point. People have to experience it to appreciate it. Advertising it simply will not cut it for blackberry

Blacklatino likes this.
    07-22-14 05:14 AM
    Everyone in this thread is missing the big picture. Read the comments to the story. All of them. More than 3/4 of the comments make fun of the phone and BlackBerry as a company. I have been saying this since the phone was first introduced. The general public will take one look at it and laugh at it. Then when they see it's a BlackBerry they will laugh even harder. The comments are stupid, I agree. But what I have been trying to say all along is the general public is going to make a quick judgement of the phone when they look at it. Doesn't matter how great it works or if it can do your laundry. People judge by first impressions. If you don't think the phone is funny looking then you are in the very small minority.
    This phone is going to go down the drain and take BlackBerry with it. My opinion and I hope I am wrong, but the more this phone get's out there, the more it seems to be made fun of.
    Yep because BGR commenters represent the group of people BlackBerry targets with this phone.

/s
    alternator77 likes this.
    07-22-14 05:30 AM
    I think you proved my point. People have to experience it to appreciate it. Advertising it simply will not cut it for blackberry

For the people to experience the phone you have to have the mindshare in the first place. Without that no amount of marketing will work. Articles like these are putting the mindshare BlackBerry requires.

Mindshare --> sales --> market share

Posted via CB10
    spikesolie likes this.
    07-22-14 05:54 AM

ah ok
    i thought you were pointing the enhancement of BB10 as n.1 priority (more than marketing).
    My bad.
    07-22-14 06:46 AM
287 1234 ...