* * posted here for general discussion **

Was reading this article and found it to be intriguing.....

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1861...ticle_readmore

There was a time when BlackBerry (BBRY) smartphones and network tools dominated corporate life and personal communications. However, by 2013, that age was considered over, and the average IT administrator had already assumed BlackBerry had gone the way of technology dinosaurs. However, BlackBerry as a company doesn't seem to want to go away quietly into the night. The company is still struggling to survive, but actually produced revenue growth in its first quarter 2014 results. Despite the odds, the company has managed to produce a turnaround in phone sales, begging the question: where will the new BlackBerry be in 2014 calendar year?
    Staging for a Comeback?

Financially, BlackBerry definitely grabbed people's attention. In October 2013 most of the news about the company was whether Facebook (FB) was going to buy the company out or if BlackBerry was going to go private. Now, the company is publicly sporting a 15 percent jump in sales versus the end of Quarter 4 2013, as well as a 13 percent jump in the number of phone units moved. The major activity is centered around BlackBerry's 10 operating system, triggering lots of replacement by diehard BlackBerry users and clients.
    Now, BlackBerry is trying the Wal-Mart (WMT) approach, trying to grab new consumers with "free" phones. Similar to how Apple (AAPL) is busy unloading old iPhone 4s with $1 2-year contracts, BlackBerry is now doing the same with the 10Z models. Both AT&T (T) and Verizon (VZ) are offering the new phones for a dollar or less. It's a risky move. While low price phones get people's attention, it also pegs BlackBerry as a bargain competitor versus a high-end brand now.
    Basic Reasons Why BlackBerry May Have a Chance

The company did finally release its OS 10 in January 2013. With new phone models of the Z10 touchscreen, Q10 and soon to be released Q5, the company has fielded a portfolio of upgrades in the year in attempt to turn around losses. The same approach is expected for the next few years as BlackBerry puts an emphasis on rolling out new products quickly, not allowing dust to settle on current phones and tools.
    Secondly, BlackBerry still enjoys a solid reputation as being one of the most secure enterprise phone systems available for corporate and government use. While this has not remained attractive to the fashion-conscious consumer market, the fact is still a major selling point for companies and agencies who want to keep their communications reliable and safe. Even the U.S. President still uses a BlackBerry phone for his own personal communications. And with recent revelations about various government agencies regularly snooping on people's phones, security is all too much a critical issue for companies big and small.
    In Summary

BlackBerry is facing an onslaught of consumer market competition from Apple, HTC and Samsung (OTC:SSNLF). All three have dominated the individual account market. However, BlackBerry still has the respect of security-conscious IT administrators in corporate and government land. Further, its latest phones are finally coming out with competitive features to graphics-conscious users. However, BlackBerry has a very high hill to climb to get back "in the game." The company needs to become a viable brand to consumers again to leverage its significant market dollars the way Apple does currently. However, going cheap may backfire as well and put the final nail in the coffin for the once-recognizable smartphone name.
    While the company is on the right track with continuing to put emphasis in new product development, and bringing those new ideas to market as quickly as possible, its brand is still suffering bruises and smirks. Until BlackBerry can figure out how to turn around a general attitude that the company is a dinosaur, it will continue to be in the back of pack versus competition. As a result, it's critical for BlackBerry to not just come up with yet another new phone, it needs to produce a new age phone that represents a game-changer. It needs to be the next bigger and better mousetrap. If BlackBerry's management doesn't see this goal as the most critical one on the board, then the company will slowly migrate to a has-been.

Posted via the Super BlackBerry Z10
    web99 and raddn5 like this.
    11-30-13 08:53 AM
    You should provide a link to the original article. It avoids potential legal issues for Crackberry and also allows us to check the sources to see where the numbers are coming from.

Edit: I see you just added it, merci!

I'm not sure where exactly he's getting the numbers from, but Blackberrys Q4 was the Bb10 launch quarter. He doesn't say which quarter shows the 15% increase, and off the top of my head I can't think of one that had that particular increase, in fact I believe they were all decreases Q over Q so far. It's kind of a sloppy piece.
    11-30-13 08:54 AM
    Already edited. I caught my error right after posting.

Posted via the Super BlackBerry Z10
    web99 likes this.
    11-30-13 08:55 AM
    "Now, the company is publicly sporting a 15 percent jump in sales versus the end of Quarter 4 2013, as well as a 13 percent jump in the number of phone units moved. The major activity is centered around BlackBerry's 10 operating system, triggering lots of replacement by diehard BlackBerry users and clients."

If this is in fact the case its very good news.
    web99 likes this.
    11-30-13 09:20 AM
    I knew this would happen.
    11-30-13 10:57 AM
    A nice article OP. Thanks for posting.

It would be good to know where the author got his numbers from. If true, it's great news.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 11:26 AM
    "Now, the company is publicly sporting a 15 percent jump in sales versus the end of Quarter 4 2013, as well as a 13 percent jump in the number of phone units moved. The major activity is centered around BlackBerry's 10 operating system, triggering lots of replacement by diehard BlackBerry users and clients."

If this is in fact the case its very good news.
    When and where did BBRY say this? Quarter 4 2013 ??
    11-30-13 11:36 AM
    Im completely lost where the numbers are coming from too. I think its completely made up piece with not factual info.
    11-30-13 11:41 AM
    Great article

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 11:43 AM
    Good point. He specifically states publicly, but doesn't provide a source. StatCounter maybe??
    JeepBB and mikeo007 like this.
    11-30-13 11:43 AM
    I have also browsed the net looking for any confirmation from BB. Thus far none. The quote from seekingalpha is silent on where the info comes from.
    11-30-13 12:00 PM
    Guys, apart from the website I quoted in my original post, I could find absolutely nothing else:

BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY): Where Will The New BlackBerry Be In 2014? [AT&T Inc.] - Seeking Alpha

"......produced revenue growth in its first quarter 2014 results. Despite
    the odds, the company has managed to produce a turnaround in
    phone sales, begging the question: where will the new BlackBerry
    be in 2014 calendar year?

Staging for a Comeback?
    Financially, BlackBerry definitely grabbed people's attention. In
    October 2013 most of the news about the company was whether
    Facebook ( FB ) was going to buy the company out or if BlackBerry
    was going to go private. Now, the company is publicly sporting a
    15 percent jump in sales versus the end of Quarter 4 2013, as well
    as a 13 percent jump in the number of phone units moved. The
    major activity is centered around BlackBerry's 10 operating
    system, triggering lots of replacement by diehard BlackBerry users
    and clients.
    Now, BlackBerry is trying the Wal-Mart (WMT ) approach, trying to
    grab new consumers with "free" phones . Similar to how Apple
    (AAPL ) is busy unloading old iPhone 4s with $1 2-year contracts,
    BlackBerry is now doing the same with the 10Z models. Both
    AT&T (T ) and Verizon (VZ ) are offering the new phones for a dollar
    or less. It's a risky move. While low price phones get people's
    attention, it also pegs BlackBerry as a bargain competitor versus a
    high-end brand now."
    11-30-13 12:06 PM
    Im completely lost where the numbers are coming from too. I think its completely made up piece with not factual info.

Maybe "sources familiar with the matter "

Negative rumors posted with no facts all the time, people say there must be merit. Positive rumor posted.....must be a lie. can't win

Let's just wait and see
    11-30-13 12:09 PM

Negative rumors posted with no facts all the time, people say there must be merit. Positive rumor posted.....must be a lie. can't win

Let's just wait and see
    Lol, so true.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 12:18 PM
    I cab see end users having their own ability to discover and obtain Android apk's a catalyst to increased sales

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 12:46 PM

Let's just wait and see
    Because Seeking Alpha is as legitimate a news source as Bloomberg.

Great news, everybody! I'm now officially a Blackberry insider.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-30-13 12:52 PM
    "and soon to be released Q5"

Means this is old news, it is not current. Earnings come out in 3 weeks, will likely be awful again. Don't get your hopes up
    11-30-13 12:53 PM
    It is possible. But not likely. Q4 was weighed down heavily by the talk of a buyout.

Q1 Especially the end of it may have seen some positive results. Maybe. Highly unlikely but maybe.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 12:56 PM
    anyone remember "greatest launch ever???"
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-30-13 01:05 PM
    "Selling like hotcakes"
    JeepBB and Donvald like this.
    11-30-13 01:21 PM

Let's just wait and see
    I agree with that. Negative news posts with little to no factual evidence and it's the end of BlackBerry as we know it. The positive spin is nice for a change but I would like to see articles, no matter which viewpoint they hold, have much more proof of what they claim.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-30-13 01:35 PM
    OK here is where the data i think is coming from and seems to align with the article.

Q4 2013 results where 6 million phones shipped and then Q1 2014 were 6.8 million. This is 13% increase.
    Q4 2013 revenue was 2.7 billion and Q1 2014 was 3.1 billion which is 15%.

All the author did was look at the release from Q1 financials. The problem is that is from June 28th. So the article was written 6 months ago basically and has no relevance right now since we have already has 1 financial release in which they only claimed 1.7 billion revenue and 3.7 million units. Which are roughly 50% decline on both.

So technically the article is factually. Its just stupidly late to be talking about 6 months after the fact and present it as "new"

http://us.blackberry.com/content/dam...ss_Release.pdf <-release from June28th
    Donvald, m1a1mg, JeepBB and 4 others like this.
    11-30-13 02:21 PM
    Because Seeking Alpha is as legitimate a news source as Bloomberg.

Great news, everybody! I'm now officially a Blackberry insider.
    Some of the latest articles about BB in Seeking Alpha are absolut BS... you should read the articles with a grain of salt, because they are just opinions, and as you can see there are some contradictory articles... I've been reading a lot of crap there, a lot of unacurate info from some authors
    11-30-13 02:25 PM
    Some of the latest articles about BB in Seeking Alpha are absolut BS... you should read the articles with a grain of salt, because they are just opinions, and as you can see there are some contradictory articles... I've been reading a lot of crap there, a lot of unacurate info from some authors
    I reckon SGX4's comment might have been meant tongue in cheek and ironically.

I think he knows to take SA articles with oceans of salt!

In this instance, Howarmat has debunked the article anyway, it's historical and might have been true 6 months ago with the figures BB made available. But as BB have since "revised" those figures, it's simply wrong.

As to the positivity vs negativity debate ... actually I'm more interested in truth vs fiction.

Making up stuff, misleading presentation, or invoking dubious sources (*cough* StatCounter) to "prove" your case is just wrong and underpins a weak argument. And this SA article, by presenting historic (and in the event erroneous) info as live news, falls into that category.
    m1a1mg and Poirots Progeny like this.
    11-30-13 03:18 PM