Back in 2008 we read about RIM introducing "SafeMode" to the Blackberry OS starting with 4.6.

BlackBerry Safe Mode: No More "Nuked" or "Bricked" BlackBerrys?!! And Other OS Developments...

Has this actually been implemented?

Have you been able to use it successfully?

Thanks.
    12-29-09 09:49 AM
    i just heard about Safe Mode the other day after i was reading threads on Reload Software 552 errors. Apparently if you install an app that gives you that error, you can start the BlackBerry in Safe Mode and remove the app and all will boot back up fine.

i'd like to know if anyone has done this also.

PS i added a title to your link
    12-29-09 09:52 AM
    Yes and it does work on my 8900 with 4.6.1.310
    12-29-09 09:53 AM
    What did you do with it, AG?

i won't use it until i need to...
    12-29-09 09:55 AM
    at what moment do you hit the ESC (the sideways U-turn arrow) key?
    or is there another way to get into SafeMode?
    12-29-09 10:48 AM
    InstructionsThings You'll Need:
    Blackberry Device software 4.6 to 4.7
    Blackberry Smartphones

Step 1
    This image is from a particular model of BlackBerry and will be specific way to do this depending on the model of BlackBerry you have1. Remove and re-insert the battery.

Step 2
    When the red LED light goes out, press and hold the escape key when the Blackberry is starting up. This key is located to the right of the track ball on the device and has an arrow looped backwards displayed on the key.

Step 3
    If this is done correctly a dialog box will appear stating" your device is currently in Safe Mode. Your device starts in Safe Mode if you hold the Escape key during startup. To remain in Safe Mode, click OK. To exit Safe Mode, click Reset.

Step 4
    Once you've made your selection to start in Safe Mode, search for your recently installed application to remove it.
    *The direction you want to go to delete an application is Options> Advanced Options> Applications.

Step 5
    Once you've found the application you want to delete simply highlight it, and then press the menu key and delete it.

Tips & Warnings
    Safe Mode is indicated by an icon in the Blackberry smart phone status section of the Home screen, However this may or may not appear depending on if you have a third-party theme in use.To turn off safe mode, remove and re-insert the Blackberry smart phone battery.If you're still having issues getting your blackberry to startup you may have to connect it with BlackBerry Desktop Manager to try resetting and restoring you device for it to operate correctly again.Be sure to back up your device information before "master resetting" your device on BlackBerry Desktop Manager or by manually selecting it on your device.

How to Start a BlackBerry Smartphone in Safe Mode | eHow.com

Is this still available in 5.0 though?
    Last edited by coffee-turtle; 12-29-09 at 11:58 AM.
    12-29-09 11:14 AM
    What did you do with it, AG?

i won't use it until i need to...
    Once it was to remove a stubborn app. The other time was to try and isolate
    where an error was coming from.
    12-29-09 11:27 AM
    It's good to use when you have an app that runs automatically on a startup. For
    example if you have BeeJive setup to automatically connect and run on a startup
    it won't be able to in safe mode. So let's say you reboot your phone and you need
    to delete a couple of things, you start it in safe mode because you wouldn't have
    to wait for BeeJive to startup on its own. Safe mode won't allow it to start.
    12-29-09 12:34 PM
    good point forever29.

I can't get into SafeMode at all. I've tried a dozen times now, and no go.

I have OS 5.0.0.230 on a Tour.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

All I think I need to do is change the wallpaper from the media card to one that is on the device. I am stuck at the "Verizon Screen of Death"
    12-29-09 01:35 PM
    This is good information to have.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-09 03:54 PM
    coffee-turtle, thanks for posting how to. i'm going to try it now.

EDIT: my 9630/4.7.1.61 won't boot up into Safe Mode! Why?

12-30-09 01:28 PM
    Thanks, Adam, for the bad news!

How To Boot Your BlackBerry In Safe Mode

12-30-09 02:13 PM
    I saw this too chrisy520. He seems to explain that it did work for him. I can't get it to work, and you cant either. What is the reason, I wonder? (are you 5.0?)
    12-30-09 02:26 PM
    Wow, I wasn't even aware the Blackberry had a safe mode feature. I hope I remember that it even exists when I need it.
    12-30-09 02:27 PM
    No, i have 4.7.1.61. He emailed me that link and said Tour doesn't have SafeMode. He says in the blog,"Now, I also found out this doesn't work on the current Tour OS (for me anyway), but supposedly it works with most devices running OS 4.6 and higher."

Reading the comments now.

i don't know. i'd like to have that ability!

12-30-09 02:30 PM
    Yes, me too. One of the posters said he had a Tour and was able to get into SafeMode. Confusing.

It such an awesome concept. I love BETA testing apps and themes, but as you know, they don't all work the way they are supposed to on the first run. I hate frying my BB. It would be cool to go into SafeMode and remove the offending app or theme, reboot, and be okay.

Besides SafeMode i would also like these familiar functions:

AutoBackup to the media card with Device Manager
    BB-GHOST to make an image of your device to your computer (apps, data, settings, etc.)
    BB-Restore to take you back to a previous Restore Point before your BB started acting flaky.
    A true TASK Manager where you can end manually end apps that are not responding or just quit them. Maybe see how much memory each takes up while it is running.

These functions are basic with Windows, but they would also prove to be invaluable in the Blackberry world.

What do you think?
    Last edited by coffee-turtle; 12-30-09 at 03:55 PM.
    12-30-09 02:38 PM
    i think that should all be standard on all BlackBerry devices! If not, if you make and sell those apps, you'd be rich!

i still think RIM is working toward improvement though. My 8330 was really stable. i was impressed. It just didn't have enough memory to add all the apps i wanted.

SafeMode is a great concept. i can't figure out why the Tour wouldn't have it and/or what we're doing wrong! i have a VZW 9630 btw.

12-30-09 02:42 PM
    Coffee-turtle and Chrissy, I just started my tour up in safe mode, I'm not sure exactly if this is how to do it, but I held down on the escape key the entire time my tour was booting up, now I have a left thumb that doesn't work very well, lol, but it did boot into safe mode. Running .230 with no hybrids.
    12-30-09 02:55 PM
    Whoa! Awesome!

Admittedly, I got tired of holding they escape key and always seemed to slip right at the last second. It takes a good 6 minutes for my Tour to fully boot. Ouch! Blackberry Thumb!!

Thank you for the feedback ross778. We will have to try it again.

I have Tour 9630 VZW also running 5.0.0.230 (no hybrids).

<sigh> I really could have used it yesterday. Now I am afraid to pull the battery. Haha!
    12-30-09 03:15 PM
    I tried to start mine in safe mode an BB 8330 and it didn't work . :/ I held the escape button down til it fully booted back up . I just wanted to see if it wuld work on my phone .
    On the plus side tho all the buttons still work as they did before ,lol

Last edited by DavidNC; 12-30-09 at 03:44 PM.
    12-30-09 03:34 PM
    I tried to start mine in safe mode an BB 8330 and it didn't work . :/ I held the escape button down til it fully booted back up . I just wanted to see if it wuld work on my phone .
    On the plus side tho all the buttons still work as they did before ,lol

What OS are you running, I think I saw somewhere that you had to have 4.6 or higher. My wife's 8330 has 4.5 installed on it.
    12-30-09 04:23 PM
    What OS are you running, I think I saw somewhere that you had to have 4.6 or higher. My wife's 8330 has 4.5 installed on it.
    That would be the reason then , lol, I am using the 4.5.0.138 OS
    12-30-09 10:24 PM
    Whoa! Awesome!

Admittedly, I got tired of holding they escape key and always seemed to slip right at the last second. It takes a good 6 minutes for my Tour to fully boot. Ouch! Blackberry Thumb!!

Thank you for the feedback ross778. We will have to try it again.

I have Tour 9630 VZW also running 5.0.0.230 (no hybrids).

<sigh> I really could have used it yesterday. Now I am afraid to pull the battery. Haha!

Still not working for me. i held the esc key the entire time. And i really needed it last night because i tried to download the Gmail Plug In and i got the Reload Software 552! Argh!
    12-31-09 09:26 AM
    Hmm... I don't know why some of us can and some of us can't. I got my Tour running again and now I remove the media card when I reboot. So far no errors needing SafeMode. I also discovered that deleting my years of stored e-mail seem to improve the device. Maybe my reboots will be normal with or without the media card inserted. (I also configured to turn off the MTP and the like, just in case).

So is SafeMode offical or not? Why the difference? Should I get a cast for my thumb?
    12-31-09 09:38 AM
    How do I find out what OS I am running on my blackBerry? Please and thanks

04-12-10 08:31 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD