alright, so i was over at AC and found this article : QSAlpha launches Indiegogo campaign for the Quasar IV - uses 'unprecedented' encryption | Android Central
    many people had this idea here on CB a while back before bb10 arrive and i never disliked it.
    i personaly dont dislike the idea itself. i am curious on its feasibility . doesn't the end device needs to be running the same os and hardware so that the encryption can be really secure? how about the network? does the network has something to do with it?

i want to have your thoughts on this. who would buy it?
    do you think it can work?
    i think if this company is able to make a success with this new device, blackberry would be looked at like the guy who could and didn't do it years ago. (my opinion)

there is the article for the mobile users who don't want to use the browser :

Blackberry running android based secure ecosystem: would you buy it?-quasar.jpg

QSAplha offers a secure ecosystem that promises to keep your data all yours

Protecting your precious personal data has never been more important. Our smartphones can contain not just our address book, but our banking information, credit card accounts and personal information moves in and out of our phones all the time, and it's important to secure it all as best we can.

A company named QSAlpha thinks they can help. They are developing the Quasar IV � and Android-based smartphone that will protect all of your data with what they are calling "unprecedented" encryption. Phone calls, SMS messages, application data, email and everything else moving in and out of your device with public and private keys for each user from 16x16x4 (16 to the power of 16 to the power of 4) three-dimensional matrices. This verifies and protects the user's identity, and makes sure the data going in and out is what it's supposed to be, and going where it's supposed to go.

This is done through a high-security ecosystem known as QuaWorks. QuaWorks consists of three parts � the Qua Store, a secure marketplace for applications; Qua Cloud storage which offers encrypted file storage; and Quatrix, which is the proprietary system used for all the encryption.

All this will be free of charge for users with the Quasar IV, and they expect to launch in June 2014 (April 2014 for backers). We'll definitely have a good look at the platform when and if it launches, but a lot of that will depend on the success of the Indiegogo campaign. You can follow the source links to learn more, and the full press release is after the break.

More: QSAlpha; Indigogo

QSAlpha Launches Quasar IV Cipherphone, Offering Unprecedented Security, Via Indiegogo Campaign

Calls, Messages, Email, Even Cloud Storage are Protected Behind QSAlpha�s Patent-Pending Quatrix� Trusted-Authentication Technology

SAN FRANCISCO, CA � (September 17, 2013) � QSAlpha (QSα), developer of advanced digital security solutions for mobile device users, today announced the launch of an Indiegogo crowdfunding campaign for its new ultra-secure Quasar IV cipherphone. As the gateway to a new security ecosystem powered by Quatrix� technology, the Quasar IV cipherphone lets mobile device users access and protect their entire digital world�phone calls, email, mobile apps, SMS, cloud storage and more�using Quatrix�, the world�s most advanced trusted-authentication technology.

Quasar IV, an Android device, opens huge new possibilities in mobile security that far surpasses conventional forms of protection. Digital identity theft, particularly through mobile devices, is shockingly prevalent. In 2012 alone, Americans suffered over $20 billion in financial losses to identity thieves. Quasar IV helps to eliminate these losses by giving users exclusive access to QSα�s high-security ecosystem known as QuaWorks. Elements of the ecosystem include:

QuaStore, the world�s most advanced trusted-authentication based application platform, featuring apps that are digitally signed by the original developers to ensure they are free from the widespread malware and viruses that disrupt mobile phone use.
    QuaCloud storage, available to Quasar IV users, safeguarded by QSα�s revolutionary self-authenticated matrix technology.
    Quatrix�, the proprietary encryption technology of the QuaWorks ecosystem. Quatrix� generates a pair of public and private keys for each user from 16^16^4 three-dimensional matrices, certifying the user�s unique identity and protecting the transmission of information. With 1077 public and private key pairs available, Quatrix can provide digital identities for the entire global cyberspace population.
    �Anytime people exchange data through their smartphones, they take a risk. Unsecured mobile data and applications are the biggest dangers facing the digital world today,� said Steve Chao, founder and CEO of QSα. �Quasar IV and the Quatrix� technology are capable of solving this massive problem, protecting users from identity thieves, intruders, even uninvited surveillance. We�re confident that the Quasar IV cipherphone addresses the needs of the mass market for ultra-strong security, which is why we�ve initiated this crowdfunding campaign.�

Authenticate Your Digital World

Through the apps in the QuaWorks ecosystem, Quasar IV users are able to make VoIP calls, as well as send/receive emails and text messages, using the revolutionary Quatrix� trusted-authentication technology. Conventional smartphones authenticate data via public key infrastructure, which are stored online. No matter how many times a user changes passwords, thieves and other unauthorized entities can impersonate a user�s identity if they gain control over the third party authentication server.

Quasar IV, by contrast, uses a seed public matrix stored on the user�s phone to compute and authenticate both ends of any communication event. The seed public matrix functions as a mediator, verifying the two identities and ensuring privacy for texts, emails, file transmissions and voice calls.

�If at all possible, cracking just one private and public key combination would be extremely difficult,� noted Chao. �This is how Quasar IV, Quatrix� and QuaWorks differ from any mobile security solution in the market.�

Availability

Access to QSAlpha�s QuaWorks ecosystem of base security solutions will be free of charge to Quasar IV cipherphone users. The Quasar IV cipherphone and QuaWorks ecosystem are expected to debut in April, 2014.

For further details on Quasar IV and QSα�s full range of advanced digital security solutions for mobile device users, visit Quasar IV by QSAlpha. For further details on the Indiegogo campaign, visit Indigogo.
    09-17-13 09:26 PM
    The govt has been working on SE Android for a while now and I think its making some progress. Im not saying it will take off but I do think it could be a viable option for many govt sectors
    09-17-13 09:44 PM
    The govt has been working on SE Android for a while now and I think its making some progress. Im not saying it will take off but I do think it could be a viable option for many govt sectors
    ho! do you have a suggestion for an article on this? i have not heard about it at all.
    are these researches done with a partnership with some OEM or internal government agencies only?
    09-17-13 09:49 PM
    My immediate question is what is the security of this device worth if the device(s) at the other end of the communication is not secure at all?
    09-17-13 09:56 PM
    My immediate question is what is the security of this device worth if the device(s) at the other end of the communication is not secure at all?

that, i am not sure. does anyone know how exactly it work on bis? it should be similar. if no one can see a text from a bb7 device to an iphone per example, well , thats what this company is trying to do.
    09-17-13 10:05 PM
    that, i am not sure. does anyone know how exactly it work on bis? it should be similar. if no one can see a text from a bb7 device to an iphone per example, well , thats what this company is trying to do.
    Someone will correct me if I am wrong but I believe on BIS the only things that are secure are the things that go through the NOC such as email and BBM. Phone calls and SMS, which is part of the calling component, go through the carrier and are not secure in the way most think when they think of BlackBerry security. I vaguely remember Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick being brought down by the text messages on his Verizon BlackBerry. That info was secured by a warrant to the carrier which means the NOC was a non-factor.
    09-17-13 10:15 PM
    Someone will correct me if I am wrong but I believe on BIS the only things that are secure are the things that go through the NOC such as email and BBM. Phone calls and SMS, which is part of the calling component, go through the carrier and are not secure in the way most think when they think of BlackBerry security. I vaguely remember Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick being brought down by the text messages on his Verizon BlackBerry. That info was secured by a warrant to the carrier which means the NOC was a non-factor.
    Than would that mean anyone who claim to have an encrypted device need to have a secured NOC Even even then, all phone calls and sms will have to go first to the carrier's network therefore couldn't be encrypted ?

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 10:24 PM
    I dont think SMS and calls are secure on BES even. Those I think are all carrier dependant even with BES
    09-17-13 10:24 PM
    Than would that mean anyone who claim to have an encrypted device need to have a secured NOC Even even then, all phone calls and sms will have to go first to the carrier's network therefore couldn't be encrypted ?
    Again, I am so out of my depth here but there are ways to ensure secure communications but there some sort of intermediary be it the device itself, private keys, or software such as PhoneCrypt and CellCrypt. I have to think that this really only works if everything in the communication loop is on the same page, so to speak.
    BerryWizard likes this.
    09-17-13 10:38 PM
    Kwame got caught up using a Skytel two-way pager. He's suing Skytel for a billion dollars and some people think he may have a case....

Marijuana news, Strain Reviews, Pics, etc. Come hang out with us at Roc's Corner C000A8BE4.
    09-18-13 12:38 AM
    The Quasar IV is rumored to be mostly full of hot air and vapor ware.

But the concept is solid!

A few years ago, the NSA made an ultra secure Android fork. A similar concept could work for Blackberry. Not only would it be as secure as BB10, and added advantage would be, that it could run all Android apps out of the box. This would be similar to what Amazon did with its Kindle.

Actually, the argument could be made that THIS is what Blackberry should have done a few years ago, instead of wasting its limited time and resources on developing BB10. Imagine what the market would look like, if Blackberry could have launched a modern, Z10 like phone in 2011!
    BerryWizard likes this.
    09-18-13 12:54 AM
    The Quasar IV is rumored to be mostly full of hot air and vapor ware.

But the concept is solid!

A few years ago, the NSA made an ultra secure Android fork. A similar concept could work for Blackberry. Not only would it be as secure as BB10, and added advantage would be, that it could run all Android apps out of the box. This would be similar to what Amazon did with its Kindle.

Actually, the argument could be made that THIS is what Blackberry should have done a few years ago, instead of wasting its limited time and resources on developing BB10. Imagine what the market would look like, if Blackberry could have launched a modern, Z10 like phone in 2011!
    I am going with you on that. I believe that this is something BlackBerry should have done. Maybe going side by side for a while with both operating system (bbos + secured Android) I am pretty sure that this discussion happen but not enough people agreed with it and it was rejected.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 05:48 PM
    BBY to run Android would be the biggest mistake they can do!
    If I like Android I buy an Android device and not a BBY!

Sent from my Z10
    09-24-13 07:17 PM
    I don't like the black and white operating system and menus. It reminds me of Dos days

Now if a blackberry came out that could true dual boot blackberry or have an unrestricted android runtime "in an isolate bubble" away from the core OS - yes please.

Posted via CB from my LE
    09-24-13 07:24 PM
    BBY to run Android would be the biggest mistake they can do!
    If I like Android I buy an Android device and not a BBY!

Sent from my Z10
    read my original post please, that was not the question.
    09-25-13 09:37 AM
    I don't like the black and white operating system and menus. It reminds me of Dos days

Now if a blackberry came out that could true dual boot blackberry or have an unrestricted android runtime "in an isolate bubble" away from the core OS - yes please.

Posted via CB from my LE
    i believe the reason for the black and white shades is because it is still just a development idea...imo this company don't have a chance of achieving this project.
    my question for the ones who didn't got it again :

blackberry successfully run an android run-time on bb10.
    if they took that to the next level, applied android as a skin over the QNX kernel so that it stays controlled and secured while allowing the android system to communicate to the hardware only via QNX.
    if they had started that back when they bought QNX, would be be seeing a successful blackberry today?
    what are your takes?

personally i believe that it is possible to play around with Android and give it a unique, successful blackberry taste that no other android phone has.
    people who think Android is the same OS across all OEM have obviously never tried more than one Android devices. the OEM apply their own skins and can make it totally unique to the their brand if they wish to do so. instead of putting that money on bb10, if they had used 1/4 to make that secured android/ hybrid android os, use the rest of the money to invest in better hardware and more advertisement do you believe they would have been more successful today ?

remember that in this hypothetical scenario, they would have delivered this NEW OS + NEW hardware on time , at the beginning of the year 2012.
    09-25-13 09:51 AM
    Oi. Sorry I meant android in general.
    I'd love a dual OS that's separate. But who knows, I think they would make cash off it.

Posted via CB from my LE
    09-25-13 09:35 PM