I recently picked up a blackberry 8330 for verizon. However, I was surprised that I needed to purchase a BB specific dataplan to go with it. Since I have had it a week now I am wondering if BB is right for me. I don't access email hardly at all. I mainly want to watch videos, play with ringtones, and access the internet. Should I look into a "dumb" phone like a Dare or Voyager? I'm assuming these would be cheaper solutions for what I basically want to do than that additional BB service plan. I'm open to suggestions...maybe I haven't had my BB long enough to see the goodness it provides me. Can anybody help me see the value in sticking with BB for the long haul?

Thanks.
    05-18-09 03:17 PM
    If you like to use your phone to access the internet I wouldn't go with anything less than a smartphone because the HTML browsers on none smartphones are just not good at all (I had a dare, i know haha). Remember that the data plan is used for more than just email and still comes in handy even if you don't use email.
    05-18-09 03:20 PM
    A BB is more than just for emails. I use mine for facebook, twitter, and general web surfing on a daily basis. A dataplan is definitely worth paying for.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-09 06:11 PM
    i had a data plan on my BB, but took it out after a few months...first it was too expensive (bill almost 100 every month) and I concluded I never really used it. I am always on the comp at work and at home so it was wasnt that beneficial.
    05-18-09 06:50 PM
    Even if you get a Voyager or a Dare, you'll still need a data plan if you plan to access the internet on it.

The one thing I found when I had a "dumb" phone was that if I wanted to have an IM program on the phone, it was like an additional $3/month to use just one messenger (AIM). If I wanted other applications, either they would have a monthly fee, or were ery simple. I was beginning to feel nickled and dimed jsut to use the data plan I was already paying for.

With my BB, I still pay for the data plan, but there are a lot more applications availavle, and a lot of them are free. I chat with friends all the time. I've made friends on here and have watched my BBM list grow as well. I'm a social networking junkie and love having instant access to twitter, facebook, myspace, and lattitude.

There is a lot more to a BB than just e-mail. It's more a matter of looking at what you want to do with your phone, and seeing if the BB will do what you want.
    05-18-09 06:58 PM
    You all make some good points. I guess I would still need a data plan...it just seams that the data plan for the BB is more expensive...don't know why. It definitely does everything I want it too. I just worry that perhaps for my basic level of use another phone would have been more fitting. It is probably just a bad case of buyers remorse. I did my research before I got this BB and I really wasn't drawn to anything else...but I was just wondering what you power BB users would think.
    05-18-09 07:23 PM
    The BB data plan might be more expensive, but you're also getting alot more use out of it with all the different apps.
    05-18-09 09:21 PM
    Get a normal phone - I don't think bb is for you

05-19-09 12:46 AM
    It maybe better to get a another phone, also I would check on getting an ipod touch as I found acefing the web much more enjoyable on that.

05-19-09 01:02 AM
    I recently picked up a blackberry 8330 for verizon. However, I was surprised that I needed to purchase a BB specific dataplan to go with it. Since I have had it a week now I am wondering if BB is right for me. I don't access email hardly at all. I mainly want to watch videos, play with ringtones, and access the internet. Should I look into a "dumb" phone like a Dare or Voyager? I'm assuming these would be cheaper solutions for what I basically want to do than that additional BB service plan. I'm open to suggestions...maybe I haven't had my BB long enough to see the goodness it provides me. Can anybody help me see the value in sticking with BB for the long haul?

Thanks.
    No, a BB is not for you.
    05-19-09 08:12 AM

Thanks.
    Yes please go look into a dumb phone, because you are only wasting your money witha data plan and not using the phone to its fullest. It would be of no value to you if you stuck around with the BB.
    05-19-09 08:17 AM
    Voyager, Dare, or the new Versa might be a better option for you. The data plan on those is about half the price.
    05-19-09 08:22 AM
    ...it just seams that the data plan for the BB is more expensive...don't know why.
    Keep in mind there are applciations for the BB that use the data package (Intenet) for IMing where some Dumb phones still use texting for IM.
    05-19-09 08:28 AM
    It seems like the majority of folks are suggesting the dumb phones are better for my needs. I guess I am back to the drawing boards on researching a phone.
    05-19-09 08:40 AM
    It will be alright you will find a phone that works for you!
    05-19-09 08:46 AM
    the sare is right up your alley. its a good non smart phone.
    05-19-09 11:23 AM
    From your stated purpose for a smartphone, I would say you would be much better served with an iPhone. It's more recreationally oriented, whereas the BB is more business oriented, even if a lot of users (like me) aren't business users.

The BB is the smartphone of choice if you do lots of texting/email/etc. If you don't need these things, you probably will not be happy with a BlackBerry.
    05-19-09 07:01 PM
    What this really comes down to is what you want and do on your phone. Personally since your posting says you just want to browse and look at videos. You can do that on a regular computer. It seems you aren't too happy with your purchase. So I would suggest getting a "dumb" phone. Don't waste money on something that you aren't going to use to the fullest extent.

05-19-09 09:26 PM

Thanks.
    Just get a dumb phone. -_-
    05-20-09 01:13 AM
    You did research but were surprised you needed a data plan???

05-20-09 02:43 AM
    I wasn't surprised that I needed a data plan...just surprised about the price. When I did my research I was pretty much just looking into features that I "thought" I wanted.
    05-20-09 08:11 AM
    So have you looked at any other phones that might work better for you? If so what phone are you looking at now?
    05-20-09 08:13 AM
    I have been looking around at the different apps that are available for the BB. I really like some of the options there (slacker, pandora, and a few others). I don't know if I could get those kinds of toys on another phone. I might just keep it for those reasons.

I can't go with the Iphone because I really need to stick with verizon. I understand why some folks have suggested that phone for me though.
    05-20-09 08:14 AM
    Yea the Iphone really isn't that great, no copy/paste, mms, blah blah blah. Glad you are thinking about holding on to your blackberry. Stick it out and little longer, it might grow on you.
    05-20-09 08:16 AM
    So have you looked at any other phones that might work better for you? If so what phone are you looking at now?
    I was looking into the Dare, Krave, and Voyager. However, lack of PC sync steered me away from the voyager. The Krave looks neat but it has a small screen when you consider it is supposed to be a touch screen...and I read the response time on it is slow. I like the Dare but I am hesitant to get one as I am scarred to go with a phone that doesn't have any hard buttons and I have heard the web browser on that phone is poor.
    05-20-09 08:18 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD