• Revenue down to $658 million
    • Revenue breakdown: 40% hardware, 38% services, 21% software & licensing
    • Software & licensing revenue increased by 150% compared to Q1 FY15
    • Free cash flow generation of $123 million
    • 1.1 million devices sold at an ASP of $240
    • New joint device development deals with Wistron and Compal

“I am pleased with the strong performance of our software and technology business. This is key to BlackBerry’s future growth,” said Executive Chairman and CEO John Chen. “Our financials reflect increased investments to sales and customer support for our software business. In addition, we are taking steps to make the handset business profitable. We believe these actions are prudent and necessary to grow the business and we believe the remaining milestones in our strategic plan are achievable.”
    http://global.blackberry.com/content...2015_FINAL.pdf
    Last edited by paul360; 06-24-15 at 10:41 AM.
    06-23-15 07:51 AM
    Hardware was bad. The PKB focused strategy is now a clear failure. They need to make PKB devices, but making them priority is not working. Based on Chen's statements on questions about hardware in the call, stating they were diverting $200 Million from hardware to software, it is clear he wants hardware dead. It isn't in his wheel house so he will just let it die and focus on what he knows. He avoided the part of the question about newer devices coming. My guess is the Slider either doesn't make it to market, or is Android if it does. Luckily the competition will have stuff out this fall.

Posted via Z30
    06-23-15 07:58 AM
    hardware number is horrible and it won't be long till Chen cut that division.
    Bfalcon1 likes this.
    06-23-15 07:59 AM
    Hardware was bad. The PKB focused strategy is now a clear failure. They need to make PKB devices, but making them priority is not working. Based on Chen's statements on questions about hardware in the call, stating they were diverting $200 Million from hardware to software, it is clear he wants hardware dead. It isn't in his wheel house so he will just let it die and focus on what he knows. He avoided the part of the question about newer devices coming. My guess is the Slider either doesn't make it to market, or is Android if it does. Luckily the competition will have stuff out this fall.

Posted via Z30
    That's unfortunate he can't even achieved half of the 10 million devices a year goal...pretty pitiful, but who are we kidding here with those horrible devices 10 million units is impossible
    06-23-15 08:02 AM
    Needs a high end all touch....its killing them that they don't have one.

Z30 (10.3.2)
    06-23-15 08:05 AM

Z30 (10.3.2)
    They've released two high end touchscreen phones and both of them flopped. Another one isn't going to fare any better at this point.
    06-23-15 08:15 AM
    They've released two high end touchscreen phones and both of them flopped. Another one isn't going to fare any better at this point.
    Bro its so bad they could use a z10 flop right now lol.

Z30 (10.3.1)
    06-23-15 08:19 AM

Z30 (10.3.2)
    Perhaps you still do not understand that consumers and enterprise customers no longer want Blackberry touch or non touch.
    06-23-15 08:22 AM
    Z10 and Z30 were both mid-range at best at launch.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 08:25 AM

Z30 (10.3.2)
    WHO is going to buy it? WHERE will the ROI come from?

I want BlackBerry to succeed as much as anyone, but I wouldn't buy an expensive BB10 phone with the current 3rd party support if you held a gun to my big toe!

Everyone keeps saying that's what BlackBerry needs but no one will answer those questions. Without an app store to rival Google's or Apple's, such a phone would be about as successful as the Playbook.

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, Verizon, no camera, 10.3.2.840
    06-23-15 08:25 AM
    Z10 and Z30 were both mid-range at best at launch.

Posted via CB10
    At the time of their release they were flagship devices priced in line with other high end phones. They may have had mid-range specs but they were still BB'S high end phones.
    06-23-15 08:28 AM
    Perhaps you still do not understand that consumers and enterprise customers no longer want Blackberry touch or non touch.
    No consumers and enterprise don't want a device that can not do..... They don't care if it's BlackBerry, Samsung Tizen, Amazon or even a mighty Microsoft Window device. If you can't load (easily and officially) basic apps like Instagram, Netflix or your local Back or Store App then what good is it?

Hardware is dead... Chen might not cancel it anytime soon (unless he replaces it with Android), but he is going to be cutting back on development of hardware... and that means BB10.

Software is the future of the BlackBerry company... if any one real cares about that.
    06-23-15 08:28 AM
    The Lumia got at least some traction by dirt cheap Lumias for $150 and $200 price points, but with Vodafone Smart Ultra /prime 6 for �99/125 respectively I would say that even this opportunity is gone. In no way BlackBerry could match those price points.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 08:30 AM
    There's really no reason for him to try to resurrect the hardware division at this point. He's diverting resources both financial and personnel to the profitable parts of the company. This can't last much longer. As far as the hardware is concerned look for whatever is least expensive to implement.
    06-23-15 08:32 AM
    I wonder how low Hardware sales need to fall for Chen to put the Ax on that Division. My hunch is 400,000 Qrty sales.
    06-23-15 08:50 AM
    At the time of their release they were flagship devices priced in line with other high end phones. They may have had mid-range specs but they were still BB'S high end phones.
    They were priced "as if" they were high end phones. Meaning they were overpriced from the outset. They sold what they did off of what was left of the anticipation for the "new" BB10 phones. By the time they were released in US, three months later, no one saw the value anymore as Samsung stole what was left of that thunder with their new announcement and the rumor mill already building for the iPhone 5s coming later that year.

Posted via CB10
    Akuji_ism and MarsupilamiX like this.
    06-23-15 09:06 AM
    WHO is going to buy it? WHERE will the ROI come from?

I want BlackBerry to succeed as much as anyone, but I wouldn't buy an expensive BB10 phone with the current 3rd party support if you held a gun to my big toe!

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, Verizon, no camera, 10.3.2.840
    You forgot to add that after such expensive phone is released, in a matter of weeks they will cut the price in half making the first adopters look and feel pretty stupid. Under no circumstance I will ever buy a Blackberry at release date for this reason alone.
    06-23-15 09:13 AM
    Hardware was bad. The PKB focused strategy is now a clear failure.
    Nope, the BB10 strategy.

Posted via CB10
    Witmen likes this.
    06-23-15 09:20 AM
    They were priced "as if" they were high end phones. Meaning they were overpriced from the outset. They sold what they did off of what was left of the anticipation for the "new" BB10 phones. By the time they were released in US, three months later, no one saw the value anymore as Samsung stole what was left of that thunder with their new announcement and the rumor mill already building for the iPhone 5s coming later that year.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry management knows getting buyers from other platforms for its new phones is difficult so they price them very high to take advantage of BB loyalists. My friend has been complaining about the initial high price of BB phones in the past few years but he blindly keeps on buying them even with the knowledge they'll be discounted heavily after four months. Milk your most loyal customers as much as you can before that segment is exhausted.
    06-23-15 09:20 AM
    I wonder how many enterprise units were sold? The idea of a Enterprise only phone seems to be a failure too. I also think it was a failure not to provide a cheap phone running data compression for third world countries.

The problem more so than the ecosystem was that few customers want a PKB device with a square screen. I wish we could go back in time and erase all of the really bad hardware decisions.

No amount of marketing will make the Passport or Classic popular . Not even an Android OS. I am sad because their all touch models could have been so good but now we might never know.

Posted via CB10
    earlym, lift and david7saad like this.
    06-23-15 09:21 AM
    Double post
    06-23-15 09:23 AM
    No they have released none. Z10 was not, would have been if released in early 2012, and Z30 was not either. They have never released a high end all touch phone.

Posted via Z30
    06-23-15 09:36 AM
    These results make it obvious that both the PKB focus and the enterprise focus are total failures when it comes to hardware sales. The fact that BB10 is a zombie/dead OS will become more widely known as time goes on. This, of course, will likely also depress sales levels even further. At this point, what are the real chances that BlackBerry will ever sell you another phone?
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    06-23-15 09:46 AM
    BlackBerry management knows getting buyers from other platforms for its new phones is difficult so they price them very high to take advantage of BB loyalists. My friend has been complaining about the initial high price of BB phones in the past few years but he blindly keeps on buying them even with the knowledge they'll be discounted heavily after four months. Milk your most loyal customers as much as you can before that segment is exhausted.
    That's why I waited for AT&T to start selling refurbished Z10s before buying mine for 30 bucks on contract.

Prior to that, I got a refurbished 9800 for 1 cent, and that phone lasted me three years.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 09:55 AM
    Slider with Android is the only chance to regain hardware sales. Based on the feedback I get daily on my Passport, people REALLY do have a soft spot for BlackBerry. They have fond memories of their old Curves and Bolds and miss the professional and classy hardware and its keyboard, but they won't buy one if it has compromises, such as a lack of apps or an oddly proportioned screen.

You can't sell 10m phones per year selling only to government and enterprise. An android powered slider that appeals to consumers and "prosumers" is the only shot to boost hardware sales to the point where they're sustainable. If you want to keep having new super secure and awesome BlackBerry 10 phones, then you need to hope BlackBerry knocks one out of the park with an Android slider flagship, because it will subsidize the whole hardware division.

Posted via CB10
    Witmen and david7saad like this.
    06-23-15 10:06 AM
270 123 ...