I have some real issues. I have 9700 which is on BIS, works fine. 3 emails: 2 GMails, and another one Yahoo. Usually I get them all fine.

Today's issue. Vacation with family in the mountains, NO CARRIER reception. No bars. At all. But happy me -- the hotel has WiFi.
    I was able to browse. But not receiving emails. Like at all. And I am waiting for important one. Text message certainly not going through. BBMs not going through. Emails are not coming. WTF? Did I do something wrong? Like really, did I misconfigure something? Did I have to configure something? Please advise! (And yes, I DID got email in my mailbox waiting for me over 2 hours when I pulled out friend's laptop and connected to the same WiFi and checked it).

Otherwise it's insane. I am so pissed. May be, again, it's me -- NOT Blackberry, but WTF did I do wrong?

If email/BBMs doesn't work on WiFi (say when there is no carrier reception) -- then it's kind of important issue. How can I rely on this device? In subway, on the airplane (with WiFi) -- man, that's just weird...

Please, pro's -- help me! :-)
    06-13-10 09:27 PM
    BBM and email both require active data. If you had NO bars your data service would
    not work.

BBM does not work via WiFi at all. As to your email you could try logging into your
    GMail or other accounts through WiFi but that is about it.
    06-13-10 09:38 PM
    If you travel frequently, you might want to check into a different carrier. VZW has much fewer dead spots than AT&T. However, you cannot use AT&T devices on VZW.
    06-13-10 09:40 PM
    BBM and email both require active data. If you had NO bars your data service would
    not work.

BBM does not work via WiFi at all. As to your email you could try logging into your
    GMail or other accounts through WiFi but that is about it.

It doesn't make sense. Well, not your answer, but the logic. I have active account, active data plan, all the right service books. Just no service at the moment of time. That means -- NO connection to outside world, even if phone supports WiFi, and I have WiFi coverage. Sounds very weird logic, not sure WHY the heck did RIM decided to do something like that.
    06-13-10 10:04 PM
    If you travel frequently, you might want to check into a different carrier. VZW has much fewer dead spots than AT&T. However, you cannot use AT&T devices on VZW.
    I understand, but I am usually having nice coverage where I travel, but the whole idea of phone which stops functioning the way it's widely known that it is superior in WHEN I have still one of connection types which it CLAIMS to support -- that's just annoying. Am I overreacting? Do you guys think it's okay?
    I am also using iPhone (but didn't have it with me this time), and my friend actually had an Android -- so I did look like my super-nice-Blackberry just SUCKS while every other phone seem to be doing fine. :-(
    06-13-10 10:09 PM
    It doesn't make sense. Well, not your answer, but the logic. I have active account, active data plan, all the right service books. Just no service at the moment of time. That means -- NO connection to outside world, even if phone supports WiFi, and I have WiFi coverage. Sounds very weird logic, not sure WHY the heck did RIM decided to do something like that.
    My apologies: I misspoke in my first reply. Should have been active data service

It isn't a RIM issue. RIM just makes the device. The issue is with the carrier and
    no matter which carrier you have, without an active data service (no bars) you are
    limited to what you can and cannot do.

Again you can use WiFi but as you have discovered you will be very limited to
    what you can do.

SMS/MMS should still work if you have voice service. BBM was never designed
    to work on anything but data. Some of the multi-client IM apps will also work
    on WiFi also (I can't begin to tell you which, I just use the Yahoo IM client)
    06-13-10 10:36 PM
    My apologies: I misspoke in my first reply. Should have been active data service

It isn't a RIM issue. RIM just makes the device. The issue is with the carrier and
    no matter which carrier you have, without an active data service (no bars) you are
    limited to what you can and cannot do.
    That makes sense, but again, I had WIFI in the room with me, working just fine, but still no luck. Not sure why? Why device can't just use WIFI to access my email/etc.? My phone is registered with network, phone has plan with data enabled, has BIS, is registered with RIM servers... so why no access to email with WIFI enabled?

Again you can use WiFi but as you have discovered you will be very limited to
    what you can do.
    Limited to browser and UberTwitter and Beejive (which can do over Wifi and state that). My email is not coming. Google Maps are not working. GMail app is not working. That's not like WIFI is not working. That's like the whole idea seems flawed.

SMS/MMS should still work if you have voice service.
    Agree.

BBM was never designed
    to work on anything but data.
    Again, WIFI was fine. 3G/EDGE was not working, but, again WIFI was there.
    06-13-10 11:39 PM
    Its must be a carrier issue because mine works fine with wifi only in tmo. I get bbm messages and emails just fine

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-10 10:44 AM
    Do these phones support UMA or does the carrier?

With UMA you can do everything over Wi-Fi, even regular phone calls both send and receive.
    06-17-10 11:35 AM
    So AG are you saying if someone is on wifi and they want to bbm someone or vice versa, it switches back and forth from wifi to 3G just for the bbm messages?
    06-17-10 12:54 PM
    hi westla7,

Sometimes network registrations get stuck at a particular tower on the network, especially when the bb loses coverage. If the issue is what I think it is, calling your wireless provider and having them "cancel your location on the network" followed by a hard reset should fix this issue.

Help this helps.
    06-17-10 04:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD