The reason I ask is I just got my DirectTV bill and inside there was a flyer just promoting the different features, one feature was the ability to remotely set shows up to record. They gave an example of all three ways that people can do this. The first showed an iPhone looking phone under the heading of "from your smart phone", and explains that you can download an app (this is an option for both iOS and Android). The one on the opposite side of the page shows a computer mouse under the heading of "from your computer", and explains how you can access your account and the schedule online. The one in the middle show a BlackBerry Bold (word BlackBerry is easly readable) under the heading of "from your mobile phone", and it give a web address for your mobile phone's web browser.

I started thinking that there really aren't dumb phones anymore - just about any device today has both a browser and basic email capabilities, IF you purchase a data plan. From this instruction sheet it is pretty clear that DirectTV is not putting BB's in with the smartphones. And I know a lot of people view a BlackBerry as being old technology and not a real smartphone (when I pull out my 9650, most just smile at me now).

I really wonder if with RIM "reinventing" themselves with new devices and a new OS, if they wouldn't be better served by dropping the BlackBerry brand. I know that the word BlackBerry is very recognized, but I'm not sure that it is in a positive way anymore. And with OS7 devices (& OS6, OS5) being active for years to come, wouldn't it be better to differentiate the new platform from the old?
    11-09-12 09:36 AM
    Well, all I know is this stupid thing is way smarter then I am. As for the slights on Blackberry, these things will change when their new phones are out
    Personally, however curious, I will be waiting quite a while before I get a BB10 phone, my 9810 is already more then I really need. I certainly will upgrade but for me it will be more of a hobby then anything else.
    kbz1960, jakie55 and bungaboy like this.
    11-09-12 09:49 AM
    The lack of apps doesn't make it less of a smartphone than any other platform.
    11-09-12 10:00 AM
    It's only because they don't have a BB specific app like they do for iOS and Android. They are lumping the mobile site access as a catch-all for everything else (it's unfortunate that they picked a BB as a pictoral example)

And, no, I don't think dropping the "BlackBerry" name will help. It would make it that much harder to generate brand recognition. Even if the brand as it is has baggage. It's easier to shed that baggage of a known name - if done right (and that's the trick), as long as it at least had a history of being held in high regard.
    11-09-12 10:00 AM
    And, no, I don't think dropping the "BlackBerry" name will help.
    Totally agree, I see this from time to time and I never understand it, what could you possibly call a Blackberry other than Blackberry
    11-09-12 10:06 AM
    It's only because they don't have a BB specific app like they do for iOS and Android. They are lumping the mobile site access as a catch-all for everything else (it's unfortunate that they picked a BB as a pictoral example)

And, no, I don't think dropping the "BlackBerry" name will help. It would make it that much harder to generate brand recognition. Even if the brand as it is has baggage. It's easier to shed that baggage of a known name - if done right (and that's the trick), as long as it at least had a history of being held in high regard.
    And here we find reason for concern. RIM's history of marketing and execution has not been the best since OS5. The PlayBook just showed us how bad their marketing skills were. We are always looking at the possibility of hitory repeating itself and RIM batching the BB10 launch with nothing but an online announcement.

But then again... We didn't have a CMO... And Mike & Jim were still in command (I love them for the vision, but shun them for the execution)... Thorstein Heins seems to have both feet on the ground and he acknowledges every single issue we've all been so painfully aware off... BB10 as an OS has all the potential they need to not only stay afloat but generate profit long term.

That all said, we have reason to believe RIM has a clear shot at being here for a looong while.

It all comes down to playing their cards right...
    11-09-12 10:25 AM
    scalemaster34, using your logic regarding changing the name from Blackberry would indicate that Ford and Checrolet should have changed their name decades ago, cars of the 40's 50's and 60's were worlds ahead of the ones of the 10's, 20's and 30's
    11-09-12 10:28 AM
    I don't think it's that it's not a smartphone, I just think BB are kinda in their own little catagory. Before iPhone or Android. You either had a cellphone or you had a blackberry. Not that blackberry wasn't also a phone, but it was a blackberry. Not sure if that makes sense, but I can't really figure out how to word it. LOL
    richardat likes this.
    11-09-12 10:30 AM
    The reason I ask is I just got my DirectTV bill and inside there was a flyer just promoting the different features, one feature was the ability to remotely set shows up to record. They gave an example of all three ways that people can do this. The first showed an iPhone looking phone under the heading of "from your smart phone", and explains that you can download an app (this is an option for both iOS and Android). The one on the opposite side of the page shows a computer mouse under the heading of "from your computer", and explains how you can access your account and the schedule online. The one in the middle show a BlackBerry Bold (word BlackBerry is easly readable) under the heading of "from your mobile phone", and it give a web address for your mobile phone's web browser.
    BlackBerry phones are all smartphones. But - DirecTV is as far from Smart as it's possible to go.... sorry ....
    11-09-12 10:30 AM
    You didn't see Windows either, and they make smartphones
    11-09-12 11:39 AM
    I have the newly released Telus PVR Record app for my Torch 9810... just scheduled two shows for recording. List of supported phones from the Telus website:

Compatible Smartphones
    Apple�

Android�
    HTC One X�, HTC Desire�, HTC Desire HD�, HTC One S�, HTC One X�, Samsung Galaxy S3�, Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate�, Samsung Galaxy Ace�, Samsung Galaxy Note�, Samsung Galaxy Apollo�, Samsung Galaxy SII X�, Samsung Fascinate 4G�, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1�, LG Optimus LTE�, LG Shine Plus�, LG Optimus One�, LG Optimus Chat�, HTC Hero, Motorola Xoom, Sony S1, Motorola Milestone�, Motorola Backflip�, Motorola Charm�, Samsung Galaxy 10.1, Galaxy 8.9 tablet

BlackBerry�
    Torch� 9860, Torch� 9810, Torch� 9800, Bold� 9790, Bold� 9780, Bold� 9700, Tour� 9630, Curve� 9380, Curve� 9320, Curve� 3G 9300, Curve 8530, Curve� 8330, Pearl� 8130, World Edition 8830, Blackberry 9900, Blackberry 9360

Windows phone 7�
    HTC 7 Surround�, LG Optimus� 7
    Problem is with the app maker, not the phone.
    kraski and bungaboy like this.
    11-09-12 12:05 PM
    Smarter than this question on a blackberry site! Next please!
    11-09-12 12:17 PM
    I consider any BlackBerry device utilizing OS7 and below as a definite SmartPhone.
    I consider any BlackBerry device utilizing BB10 and above as a definite SuperPhone.

Just to add that I cannot stand when TimeWarner or CableVision advertise their services and at the end of each commercial they say...
    "Get the app which is available for iPhone or Android"...
    With no mention of BlackBerry. At all.
    These are very large companies that can afford the technical manpower to create apps for this platform.

I send feedback emails to them all the time about it.
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-09-12 12:30 PM
    I was once asked by a cheeky Android user if I ever considered buying a smartphone. He's now using a BlackBerry and best of all he's not shaking his phone every 5 minutes to free up memory to stop his Android lagging.
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-09-12 12:32 PM
    I'd call it an ultraphone if it could toast my bread and brew my coffee.
    shemaree09 likes this.
    11-09-12 12:33 PM
    Why does Blackberry get treated like the black sheep when it comes to apps?

You hardly ever see popular apps available for Windows and no one bashes them for it or questions if its an actual smartphone or not.
    11-09-12 05:00 PM
    I started thinking that there really aren't dumb phones anymore - just about any device today has both a browser and basic email capabilities, IF you purchase a data plan. From this instruction sheet it is pretty clear that DirectTV is not putting BB's in with the smartphones. And I know a lot of people view a BlackBerry as being old technology and not a real smartphone (when I pull out my 9650, most just smile at me now).
    Do these people pat you on the head and mutter, "It's okay dear?"
    11-10-12 08:27 AM
    Part of the challenge is that no one has a straight definition of what makes a 'smartphone' and what makes a 'superphone' and what makes a 'dumbphone'.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    11-10-12 08:52 AM
    Part of the challenge is that no one has a straight definition of what makes a 'smartphone' and what makes a 'superphone' and what makes a 'dumbphone'.
    Exactly. Back a few years ago it was pretty simple: there were "usual" mobile phones which someone could use to send texts, do calls and play some basic games like Snake. Then there were the more advanced ones, usually with Touch Screen or some sort of fully physical QWERTY keyboards. Things like a Blackberry, Nokias "Communicator" line and of course those Palms and Windows Mobile phones. Usually devices common people wouldn't buy or even bother with.

However, Joe Averages phones started to gain more functionality: my first mobile phone, Nokia 7110, already had limited web access through WAP and a calendar. It even had a pretty large screen. The next one, Nokia 7650, was one of the first with a camera, rather large color display and had an improved webbrowser and calendar. Following up later on there was E-Mail, full webbrowsers and support for 3rd party apps on your average phone.

What makes a phone "smart"? The number of available apps? The amount of sensors built in? The best camera? Having the most powerful processing units? Lately a I heard a "smart"phone thinks for you. Location based events tell you what's happening, which person is near you and stuff like that. Everything without actual input from the user himself. However that goes beyond the traditional smartphone line...
    11-11-12 07:47 AM
    Even worse, we're now calling some superphones? There used to be dumb and smart phones. Then added features changed some dumb phones to feature phones. So, now we have 4 categories that we mostly don't have a clue what goes in them? I don't feature that idea, it's neither smart nor super.
    11-11-12 08:27 AM
    I have read here and there (and I tend to agree with it) that it is location services that set smartphones apart. GPS, etc. that allows the device to know where it is and utilize that information in apps.

So yes I would call BlackBerrys smartphones.
    11-11-12 09:06 AM
    I personally like to set them apart on the OS level. If it allows you to do more that what it was meant to, run applications that integrate to the OS' features and help you get things done easier, then it's a smartphone.

Feature phones have some limited capacity, and you can install games on them. Some can install java apps, but those don't integrate to anything. The base software on them is just a random java VM with a skin.

But that's just my take on the question.....

Edit: @southlander, heh, you just kicked the 8520 to the feature phone group. Not fair on them man, they are a heck of a workhorse smartphone, yet entry level.
    11-11-12 08:36 PM
    I don't think it's that it's not a smartphone, I just think BB are kinda in their own little catagory. Before iPhone or Android. You either had a cellphone or you had a blackberry. Not that blackberry wasn't also a phone, but it was a blackberry. Not sure if that makes sense, but I can't really figure out how to word it. LOL
    I think you're dead on. I think BB is now seen as some amorphous floater between the two categories.

Scalemaster: I also think that dropping "BB" is not without merit. I don't think it will be critical either way, but one certain way to get some buzz, to make a cleaner break in perception, and to generate interest would be to completely revamp the name and look. The business world is rife with examples of this done poorly, and well. It often works well in the short term, but in the end the products must, of course, back it up. Problem: it has to be done well....and RIM's track record for marketing is poor.

In any case, with good product, you can fashion a new perception and become a.....I don't know....Acura or Lexus....if you don't deliver the goods you become....Saturn. ;-)
    11-12-12 01:05 AM
    Its the user. I'm sure theres millions of androids out there that are used like dumbphones cause people go into a carrier and 90% of what they see is android.

Dropping the BB name is a horrible idea. People know BB, and consumers are fickle, show them something flashy and their opinion can change in an instant.
    11-12-12 02:25 AM
    Dropping the BB name is a horrible idea.
    This.

Dropping the BlackBerry name is pointless in the short term as people will still call it a blackberry. It takes a long time to shift the paradigm of calling something what it is called, as opposed to what you know it is called.
    11-12-12 02:47 AM
31 12