I Don't think so. I think it just looks less eye appealing and has a slower web browser. The multitasking and notification integration is un-matched on any other device. But... You make the call. Let me know what you think.

In What ways is it outdated?

In What ways is it ahead of the game?
    07-31-10 08:05 PM
    The multitasking is certainly outmatched on other devices which are capable of running lots of apps without ever needing battery pulls. Notification is a matter of personal preference, iPhone is obviously behind but I think there are legitimate claims to be made for Blackberry or Android being the best. Email is a mixed bag, mangled HTML emails in 2010 is ridiculous and Gmail sync is still questionable.

I don't think I need to list Blackberry strengths, I anticipate other posters will take care of that.
    07-31-10 08:14 PM
    I don't really feel the OS itself is that outdated. Yes the browser is, but otherwise it's fine, IMO. Where RIM is dated is more in the hardware end (lack of sufficient internal app memory mainly) and in their BIS/BES restrictions, such as truncated email, small download limits, etc.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like RIM is addressing any of the things I mentioned except the browser....

As for multi-tasking, I'm not sure what qualifies as "a lot," but I've had over 30 apps running at once on two different BB's I've had and they handled it fine. And that DOES include a Storm1 9530! I can't imagine ever needing that many apps running at once in real life, much less more than that.
    Last edited by ChuckH0308; 07-31-10 at 09:11 PM.
    07-31-10 09:09 PM
    Some cons:
    App memory
    Truncated emails
    Fewer apps
    Apps are too much $
    Browser
    Apps like FB are horrible compared to the iPhone version
    Memory leaks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-10 09:14 PM
    And please don't forget the 5+ minute boot times, which certainly qualify as outdated in 2010!
    07-31-10 09:15 PM
    And please don't forget the 5+ minute boot times, which certainly qualify as outdated in 2010!
    The average is around 2 minutes.
    07-31-10 09:22 PM
    The average is around 2 minutes.
    Yours maybe, but I guarantee that the overall average is NOT 2 minutes. And for the record, 2 minutes is slow as **** anyway. My Droid boots in 31 seconds from a battery pull.
    Last edited by TheOne01; 07-31-10 at 09:33 PM.
    07-31-10 09:30 PM
    My blackberry 9700 doesn't need battery pulls. But I have to agree with you that it does takes take more then 2 mins. But I wouldn't say 5... Maybe 3 is more fair to say.

Yours maybe, but I guarantee that the overall average is NOT 2 minutes. And for the record, 2 minutes is slow as **** anyway. My Droid boots in 31 seconds from a battery pull.
    07-31-10 10:33 PM
    My BB boots pretty quickly. I don't even need to reboot it much anyway so it's a moot point.

I think the browser is DEFINITELY outdated but that's about it.
    07-31-10 10:44 PM
    Would love for my BlackBerry to be able to boot up around 30 seconds. It takes mine 2:45 minutes after a fresh install (that's still slow in my opinion). Once I begin to download applications, it increases to 5 minutes +
    I don't have to reboot much, but for those times when applications crash, and a battery pull is needed, this becomes a problem.

07-31-10 11:51 PM
    ...it just looks less eye appealing...
    I dunno, I still think that the 9700 and 9550 are two of the best looking phones out there.
    08-01-10 12:09 AM
    Blackberry will go the way of Palm if they don't change their ways. I know a lot of businesses use RIM for security but unless "the masses" embrace your product it is doomed to be severely over priced or failure.
    Maybe RIM can have 2 lines of phones, one for business and one for general use.

At the rate at which users are embracing Android and Apple I think RIM's days are numbered.

Let's see what OS 6 brings to the table!

Joe
    08-01-10 05:28 AM
    Reason it takes your Berries so long to reboot(5 min plus) is more than likely due to memory cleaner being enabled...when you take it off, BAM...2 minute reboots.

IMO I love the look of the BB's, especially the 9700, but after messing around with newer droids like the Incredible and the X and even the IP4...it lacks one main thing....speed! I know they were on wifi and didn't have ish loaded on to the phones, but even when my phone was new on wifi it didn't go that fast, lol! Also makes me realize I really need a bigger screen for sure....

I usually am one to really push Berryland, but we do need to step it up. I am really looking forward to the 9800! Hope that is a step in the right direction, even though our processor, apps, probably speed will still be behind....

Really liked the Incredible! Had older Andriods in the Cliq and mytouch, but those seem like bricks compared to these new ones...such is the way with tech I suppose.

Gonna peep the 9800 at a store when it comes out and hopefully it will tickle my fancy, if not looks like Andriod will be having me back, lol! Never thought I would say that as I was less than impressed with the ones I had...

08-01-10 07:02 AM
    forums.crackberry.com/f146/9700-boot-up-times-427057/

Feel free to read through the posts. The majority of people using an up to date OS have a 2-3 minute boot time. If your boot time is higher, there are actions you can take to reduce it.
    08-01-10 07:21 AM

Feel free to read through the posts. The majority of people using an up to date OS have a 2-3 minute boot time. If your boot time is higher, there are actions you can take to reduce it.
    What makes 2-3 minutes acceptable? Because it's less than 5?
    08-01-10 07:59 AM

The boot time for the Bold 9650 is 2:45 out of the box. Fresh install with no contacts, extra 3rd party applications, etc. Adding a few 3rd party apps will put you in the range of 2:45 - 3:00. Once you begin to add quite a few apps it drastically increases. I'm getting about 6 minutes. Some are getting 12 - 20 minutes. The norm for the 9650 with apps installed is 5-7 minutes. Check out the 9650 forum. They have a thread just for that very topic. As someone stated earlier to disable Memory Cleaner. Memory Cleaner is already disabled by default.
    If you know of a way to get boot times to go back to 2 minutes with ample 3rd party apps installed I would like to know. As well as everyone else with a 9650.

08-01-10 08:12 AM
    I Don't think so. I think it just looks less eye appealing and has a slower web browser. The multitasking and notification integration is un-matched on any other device. But... You make the call. Let me know what you think.

*RIM has yet to embrace cloud support - Which WinMo7 will bring with a furry.
    *User control of Truncated emails NEEDS to be an option, on my BES phone I wouldn't change a thing, if it is Truncated, I need to boot up the laptop because it will be a waste of time trying to get through it on my BB as it probably has PDF and image files as well as many points I'm going to need to make notes for when replying. on my BIS phone, I'd turn off Truncated emails, I have unlimited data, and few emails are the kind where I'd need to make notes.
    * Hardware, RIM needs to address either its build quality, or it's performance speed, you can't stick with OLD specs and hand out a breakable phone, for an indestructible phone like the 8700 series, or 7200, our current specs would be fine, but considering my 9630 looks twice as old as my 8330 but the actual is the reverse, just says the body's need to be built to last, or the internals need to be as flashy as the externals..
    * Calendars! - Software for BlackBerry: Calendar Pro should not need to exist, its function should be built in.
    * Consumer email handing, they lack HTML support,
    * Lack of Apps for Consumers who want apps.

*Input methods - RIM's Candybar Qwerty is Still the best input method on the market, it is ambidextrous, is lends it's self to single handed typing as well as 2 handed typing, being physical key's it allows for traditional interpretation of touch typing.
    *Multiple mail box handing - No one does it better than RIM yet, but that could be changed by any of the other players on the market with a universal mailbox.
    * User familiarity, if a 8700 user picked up a 9700 today he/she could be up and running in minutes, with the same productivity if not more.

In What ways do I think RIM could Change the game?
    * a USER CP at myblackberry.com with customizable options of how things are pushed to you, ( truncated @ what size, Allow PUSH apps? )
    * Webmail account for carrier.blackberry.net
    * 1-2 button Contact sharing via IR/BT something close proximity
    * Hot swappable batteries,
    * True onboard CRM / Tasks/ Todo integration ( lets not forget about the medium business client!)

2-3 minutes a month is very acceptable to me, heck even 5 minutes would be, for my always uptime,
    My work notebook has an 11 minute boot time from when I open the lid till I can start sending emails, due to security restrictions, password requirements, and the generally slow boot time of a 2009 Laptop. and I have one of the faster laptops..
    08-01-10 08:38 AM
    I think that BIS email is the BB's biggest weakness (to be clear - BIS, not BES). Most people don't control or even influence their companies' IT dept. So let's assume you work at an average firm with an Exchange server and Outlook on laptop. What does BIS give you?

- Email that does NOT sync with your laptop's email
    - No OTA syncing of contacts and calendar
    - No automatic access to Exchange's global address book
    - No ability to sync other network exchange folders

I am on a bold 9650 after using a treo 755p for several yrs and I can say that BB email on BIS doesn't hold a candle to what my aging treo could do. It's awful. I need to type out full email addresses of people who I work with (global address problem mentioned above).

The lack of email sync is maddening. I use my inbox as a to list. Anything that's in there, I need to address. Imagine my dismay when I delete or file emails on my laptop and NOTHING syncs to my BB. Everything is still there!

Why in the world RIM has the BB sync to OWA instead of tying into Exchange Active Sync (EAS), is beyond comprehension.

Why should a customer have to worry about whether or not their company's IT depts have installed a Blackberry Enterprise Server in order to have decent email? Andriod and iphones can hook right into EAS, why can't BB?! My old treo hooked right into EAS for perfectly sync'd email and access to everything in Exchange.

Tom

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    08-01-10 09:28 AM
    A part of me thinks that RIM is cooking something up and they are hiding something. I think maybe the are staying behind on purpose and then all of a sudden.. BAM! They are going to throw something out that blows everyone away.
    08-01-10 09:28 AM
    Thanks De and cdf for answering the question and moving the conversation away from boot time. Boot times cloud the issue - one only has to do them rarely so they shouldn't be used to "prove" a BlackBerry is behind. One needs to buy a device that will work for them.

When it comes to multitasking I think my 9700 is pretty handy. I can create and work within a word doc or excel spreadsheet and do pretty impressive work, copying and pasting from other documents, webpages and emails - moving between each source with ease. I tried this with one of our work droids and it was not nearly as intuitive or easy. I'm sure I could do it faster with practice, but it would never be as easy with a touch screen for me- imo.

Last edited by exelant; 08-01-10 at 09:44 AM.
    08-01-10 09:37 AM
    In my opinion yes.. 5 would be fine too. You really only need to do a reset once a month or so and when you do one, plan on not using it for the next few minutes. Simple really. If the once a month boot time is too much for you to handle, than by all means don't use Blackberry. Or get a program that resets your device while you are in dream land.
    08-01-10 10:36 AM
    Old oneone won't listen, Spiral, he trolls around these threads looking for a fight. He's best left ignored.

08-01-10 10:49 AM
    In my opinion yes.. 5 would be fine too. You really only need to do a reset once a month or so and when you do one, plan on not using it for the next few minutes. Simple really. If the once a month boot time is too much for you to handle, than by all means don't use Blackberry. Or get a program that resets your device while you are in dream land.
    I hate when my phone reboots on it's on while I'm in the middle of doing something. Therefore, having to wait 5 minutes to finish up what I was doing seems like an eternity. The reboot issue seems to be an issue with the camera on the 9650. No one seems to know what causes it. Some users have said that SmartWifi causes it, but those of us that do not have the app installed are having the same issue.

08-01-10 10:55 AM
    My two biggest gripes with BB as far as being outdated, are email size and not having IMAP folders. I know I've posted about it before in related threads, but those two things kill me.

Every WinMo phone I've owned (4) and even my 1.5 Android phone could do IMAP folders. My work email is Groupwise and we have an IMAP folder setup. They are used regularly and I frequently need to reference emails when I'm in the field, which I can't easily do from my laptop due to VPN issues. Why I can't get IMAP folders as a BIS user is beyond me.

Truncated email is another issue. Back in the day when RIM started producing Blackberries and data on wireless devices was new and innovative, minimizing data/maximizing speed was a big deal. Nowadays, data plans are practically limitless and much much faster than they were. At least give users the option to determine how much they want to download. If I want emails with 10MB of photos delivered to my phone, I should be able to have it. Again, this is something available on all the other Smartphone OSs, standard.

I love the form factor. Displays are good, though a Touchscreen Bold would rock. keyboards are great, and media features do just fine for me.

BB is a good blend of communication, productivity, and media. Jack of all trades; professional at none? That's fine with me.

It's not outdated. Just needs a few modifications and it will be like a fine wine, just getting better with age.
    08-01-10 11:18 AM
    I think it's becoming outdated. I have been a loyal BB fan for over 5 years and just ordered my Droid X. I was amazed at just the speed quality alone in the browser, and that in itself is light speeds ahead of the BBs. I have always excused BB with the newest updates or lack thereof. I'm done, I want a phone that should perform like the Droid, especially one that costs just as much! I also want a phone that will upgrade OS without having to go out and buy a new one in less than a years time.

I am just disappointed with BB and I really hope to see them jump way ahead than the competition. I'm just not going to wait by the sidelines anymore rooting for them. I'm going to be enjoying my new phone! And please don't hate on people who made the switch and give their opinions on it. It's just one persons opinion, and take it for what it's worth. Most of the time, I bet the people who have defended the BB this far, are extremely loyal, and probably never laid their hands on a droid. I think they may change their minds if they ever do. I know I did.

Sorry if some parts didn't make sense.......lack of sleep+ not enough coffee= nonsensical at times
    08-01-10 11:29 AM
80 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD