11-21-07 11:13 AM
47 12
tools
    Hi BlackBerry Users! It's my turn this week to use the Curve. I had no idea what I would think of this device, but so far it seems pretty cool. I have a lot to learn and so little time.

Well, I've been using the Curve for a few days now. I wasn't sure how I'd like the non-touch screen, but it's actually not too bad. The trackball is sort of neat. The only experience I'd ever had with a BB device was with a 7290 that I bought cheap online just to see what a BB was like. I charged it up and messed with it for about 30 minutes. I had trouble just trying to set the date and time on it.LOL! I din't fiddle with it much and set it to the side. It's still sitting here in my office and I keep meaning to ebay it.

Now this Curve is of course quite a different device than that of the old BB 7290. When I had told CrackBerry Kevin in an email about my miniscule experience with the 7290, he replied that it was an old dinosaur. LOL, how true!

I've set up my email accounts on the Curve and that went very smoothly and is working great.

I guess I have some pretty dumb questions:

1. How do I get 3rd party apps on the Curve? Like I was wanting to try Yahoo Go! and Opera Mini.

2. I was going to ask if the Curve had a speakerphone, but Duh, I just looked at the back of the user guide again and spotted the speakerphone key.

3.Besides the BrickBreaker game that comes on the Curve, are there any other games that you can get to play? Like some type of word game? I remember reading some discussion from Mike's RR thread that certain types of games wouldn't work very well with the Curve due to button layout.

I'm sure I'll have more questions later. I'll be putting up my initial thoughts article later today.
    11-06-07 10:52 AM
    Welcome to The Crack, Jennifer!

I guess I have some pretty dumb questions:
    Only if you never ask them...

1. The best way to install apps onto the BlackBerry is to download them over the air (OTA.) Most sites will have mobile versions and/or links to OTA installers.

Otherwise, apps can be downloaded on your PC and installed using the Application Loader in Desktop Manager. In fact, the current lecture in Kevin's BlackBerry 101 course is on that exact topic.

Lecture 9: How To Install and Manage Third Party Software Applications On Your BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com

2. One of the best speakerphones out there, IMO.

3. There are plenty of games for the BlackBerry. I've had Pac-Man, Monopoly Tycoon 2007, and Texas Hold'em King 2 installed. Check out more at the CrackBerry.com Store. Some that aren't optimized for the BlackBerry may take some fiddling with to figure out the control keys that work on a full QWERTY, but it's pretty easy in most cases.
    Last edited by rrrebo; 11-06-07 at 11:11 AM.
    11-06-07 11:06 AM
    Thanks so much for the help rrrebo! I'll try downloading some stuff OTA. And I'll definitely read up on Kevin's article you mentioned!

I'm gonna try out the speakerphone today and will let you know what I think.
    11-06-07 12:20 PM
    Welcome to the world of Blackberry Jennifer. I used to have a 7290 and Kevin is right, its a dinosaur. I now have a Pearl and I'm loving it.

Rrrebo is right, there are lots of things you can download OTA. Given the amount of time you will have with the Curve (and as soon at AT&T comes out with a 3G Curve, I'm there!), you should consider downloading some trials of some applications. Get Colour my Trackball and Empower's application for HTML - both a lot of fun.

And remember, the great thing about Blackberries is they just work! :-)
    11-06-07 01:23 PM
    well for opera mini all you have to do is go to opermini.com from your bb...
    11-06-07 01:25 PM
    welcome to the crack Jennifer ... I'm sure you'll get addicted soon
    11-06-07 01:34 PM
    maybe try mobile.blackberry.com as well...some free trials and things like that as well as useful applications.
    11-06-07 01:47 PM
    Thanks for the warm welcome and the help everyone!

I'm gonna try downloading some stuff later today. First off will be the app Color the Trackball! ;-)
    11-06-07 02:00 PM
    I was going to say... good timing on Lecture 9.

Pretty concise instructions on how to add 3rd party apps.

Have fun Jennifer!
    11-06-07 02:04 PM
    You won be able to have a colour trackball for the Curve. The built in LEDs do not allow this app for the moment.

BUt enjoy the rest of the stuff. I would also recommend Viigo. http://getviigo.com from your Browswer will be a start...
    11-06-07 02:07 PM
    Oops, I didn't know that the Curve didn't allow Colour My Trackball. Sorry for the bad info Jennifer - its what happens when a Pearl guy starts talking about Curves. That's too bad - its a fun little app (and I just changed my trackball from green to red!)
    11-06-07 02:44 PM
    Jennifer,

Take a look at -= ota.c2wifi.org =- from your BB and you will see a few common apps to install on your crackberry.
    11-06-07 02:54 PM
    You won be able to have a colour trackball for the Curve. The built in LEDs do not allow this app for the moment.
    Thanks tmag2005 for letting me know about the Color Trackball app not working on the Curve. I had downloaded it to my laptop but hadn't put it on the Curve yet. And thanks for the Viigo link!

Oops, I didn't know that the Curve didn't allow Colour My Trackball. Sorry for the bad info Jennifer - its what happens when a Pearl guy starts talking about Curves. That's too bad - its a fun little app (and I just changed my trackball from green to red!)
    No problem Scott403540! I appreciate you suggesting it as it would have been cool if it had worked.

Hi audit, thanks a lot for the link for the common apps! I'll check that out soon!
    11-06-07 03:40 PM
    Jennifer, you stated you were looking for some games to possibly play as well may wish to check out here, the built for blackberry site will offer you plenty of items and trials to check out, and it not only consists of games but a few other "cool" apps to possibly review/enjoy..hope this helps you enjoy your experience with a BB Device.
    11-06-07 05:19 PM
    Thanks Bla1ze! I'll definitely check out that site for some games!

HELP! I'm trying to download Opera Mini 4 beta OTA from the Opera website. I got the app icon on the Curve but after clicking on it, the app begins to download, but is hung up and never does finish. Back when I was on the page to download the app, I read through the license agreement and scrolled all the way to the bottom of the page but never did see anywhere to agree. Sort of stuck right now. I went back to the site and clicked to download the app again and when the message came up saying that I'd already downloaded it and it asked if I'd like to download it to replace the last download, I clicked Yes and the clicked Yes for the Curve to reboot. Then when I clicked on the Opera icon again, it still starts to download but hangs up and never finishes. I've probably done something dumb and I'm sure one of you can help me. ;-)
    11-06-07 05:47 PM
    I'd have to say that bookworm is the best game out there. Super addictive!!! I don't see it on the CB site, but I think Handango has it. The trial is pretty short though :-(
    11-06-07 05:53 PM
    Jennifer, once you reach the bottom, press on the menu key (the one with the funny dots) the menu will come up and then you can select "accept"

PS: don't mean to insult intelligence by referring to it as funny dots, but most people understand that
    11-06-07 06:07 PM
    Those funny dots are the BlackBerry logo!

11-07-07 11:08 AM
    i for got what the TPC setting are for at&t but there on the web site some where and to agree click the menu key left of the track ball
    11-07-07 11:23 AM
    Those funny dots are the BlackBerry logo!

Ya, but working for AT&T data support, you'd be surprised how many ppl have NO DARN IDEA!! What your referring to...Funny lil dots, people understand...that falls in line when you say something like "it's a problem with your device, let me contact RIM for you"...the most common reply will be..."who's RIM, can he fix my problem or not?"
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 11-07-07 at 11:49 AM.
    11-07-07 11:42 AM
    you'd be surprised how many ppl have NO DARN IDEA!!
    Nothing surprises me anymore. Especially when it's calling tech support. I know your pain.

/2 years Dell Home and Small Office tech support
    /5 years Enterprise Service Desk E-mail, RAS/VPN, BlackBerry, (and anything else they threw our way) for a large corporation
    /currently Tier II eLearning admin/support
    11-07-07 12:18 PM
    That little button is one of my favorites so far! Are the little RIM dots supposed to represent a little cluster of blackberries?

I finally figured out how to delete Opera Mini 4 Beta off the Curve by using that Menu button and getting to the options and applications and so forth. Then I rebooted the Curve and went back online and downloaded the app again and this time everything went smoothly. And so far, I'm loving Opera Mini 4 Beta! So cool! And today, I got an email from Daniel from Opera saying that it's now out of Beta. Sweet!
    11-07-07 12:27 PM
    Are the little RIM dots supposed to represent a little cluster of blackberries?
    I've also thought so. Also, if you look closely, and maybe a little sideways, the dots represent the holes in a pair of interlocking "B"s, as in 'B'lack'B'erry.

*cocks head to one side*

Hmm, maybe 2 pairs.
    11-07-07 01:14 PM
    I've also thought so. Also, if you look closely, and maybe a little sideways, the dots represent the holes in a pair of interlocking "B"s, as in 'B'lack'B'erry.
    I bet that's what it is. I can see that now! Especially in the graphic you put on that other post.
    11-07-07 02:46 PM
    I think it's a combination of both, Berry Bunch and the Double B's of course
    11-07-07 03:07 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD