I have had a cell phone for about the last 10 or so years, maybe replaced 1 or 2. Since I had blackberrys over the last year and a half I have been through 2 curves, 3 storms and on my third tour, plus a few BB's replaced for the wife. Verizon has been great about sending new phones after they try some quick tech support over phone but still seems like a high percent of hardware failure. Have you been there a few phones with BB?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-10 08:43 PM
    The only BB I've had trouble with was my storm for obvious reasons. My tour hasnt had any problems at all, but it seems like a lot of the newer BB's after the 83XX, quality has gone down.
    02-14-10 08:52 PM
    Still using my original 8900 that I got in march of 09 and going strong. I see no replacements in the new future, just upgrades.

02-14-10 09:02 PM
    Seems to be a mixed bag. Some of us have no trouble and some have lots. I've been extremely impressed with the quality of my Bold 9000...very solid and tight. My Curve 8310, though it gave me no problems, just felt cheaper and more "plasticky".
    02-14-10 09:11 PM
    I have had three BB's in the last few years, a Pearl 8110, a Curve 8120, and now a Curve 8520 and have had not one single issue from a hardware perspective with any of them. The only issue I can speak of is that the batteries in the Pearl and Curve 8120 lasted between 18-24 months and needed to be replaced, but that is not a failure in my opinion.
    02-14-10 09:12 PM
    I'm on my first BB and it's been a year now. Nothing wrong with it that a battery pull won't fix lol.
    02-14-10 09:27 PM
    man you guys are lucky, my wife and I take care of our stuff and nothing is abused and things just fail The latest replacement 3 days ago they said something with the internal antenna was broken. (tour)
    02-14-10 09:36 PM
    Although most on this thread are claiming good berry's I hear this particular complaint a lot on this site about poor build quality on the newer blackberry's. Usually though it's the storm 1 and tour 1.
    02-14-10 09:58 PM
    My 8330 just hit 14 months and finally killed the first battery. But I'm a very heavy user, on it a lot throughout the day. The color is worn off some of my keys, but overall, this has been an outstanding device. I'll just have to get into Sprint and exchange for a new battery. My spare has to carry the load for now.

02-14-10 10:03 PM
    My 8330 just hit 14 months and finally killed the first battery. But I'm a very heavy user, on it a lot throughout the day. The color is worn off some of my keys, but overall, this has been an outstanding device. I'll just have to get into Sprint and exchange for a new battery. My spare has to carry the load for now.

Now that is impressive.
    02-14-10 10:11 PM
    Although most on this thread are claiming good berry's I hear this particular complaint a lot on this site about poor build quality on the newer blackberry's. Usually though it's the storm 1 and tour 1.
    My Storm 1 is flawless. Feels much sturdier than my 8330 was...
    02-14-10 10:16 PM
    Used a Pearl and a Curve for almost 2 years. I don't have them anymore but they
    are both in use and solid.

Had a Bold and never had an issue with the build quality.
    Currently have an 8900 (since July) and it is completely solid and free of defect.
    02-14-10 10:20 PM
    ive only replaced one BB and that was my 8300, my fault though that i broke it....the rest of my BBs hav been pretty solid
    02-14-10 10:50 PM
    no quality issues thus far for me.
    02-14-10 10:53 PM
    One Storm and one Storm 2 replaced...Second ones have been solid builds
    02-14-10 11:02 PM
    On my second Bold. My first Bold died mysteriously the night after a party. I woke up in the morning with a white screen, did a battery pull, and it never turned back on. It was one year old
    02-14-10 11:17 PM
    I'm using my 8320 for the last 2 years and am happy with it's build quality.But compared to the build quality of some other manufacturers,sometimes,it do feel flimsy.
    02-14-10 11:21 PM
    I've repaired a RIM 9000 after a motorcycle crash borked it up. New screen, new trackball, new midframe, new bezel. Looks brand new, works like a charm. Total cost? Maybe $68.
    02-15-10 12:25 AM
    In 20 years of using cell phones I have never had to have one replaced on a warranty or damage claim. Not even a battery failure in that time! And yes, that includes my launch day Storm 9530 that I used for 15 months...

02-15-10 12:59 AM
    In 20 years of using cell phones I have never had to have one replaced on a warranty or damage claim. Not even a battery failure in that time! And yes, that includes my launch day Storm 9530 that I used for 15 months...

statistic anomaly maybe?
    02-15-10 07:29 AM
    Never a problem with my 8330 with heavy use. Phones used to only last only months - but honestly that situation was vastly improved when I filled in our swimming pool.
    02-15-10 09:05 AM
    The build quality of mine has been fine. On my 4th different model. Had a problem with my first 8900, but that was something I did.

Last edited by exelant; 02-15-10 at 01:12 PM.
    02-15-10 09:19 AM
    I don't think there is any question blackberry quality has cheapened. Their hardware used to be sooo good.

If your phone survives it's first week... probably as a general rule your hardware will hold up. It's a sad decline from years ago.
    02-15-10 12:09 PM
    I hate to sound cynical, but all I can do is compare personal experience with the experience of others that post here. I've had three BBs over the years, and never had to return any of them. Have they been perfect? Nope...only "perfect" phone I ever had was an old, LG brick phone (still have it) that was absolutely flawless and solid...unfortunately, it was a "dumb phone." My friends who have BBs have never had to return those, either.

I find it incomprehensible that there are so many "I'm on my 999th return" posts. I honestly wish I could personally meet with these people, look at the phones and see what is REALLY going on. After a while, one has to have a feeling of disbelief.

Update: I should add that when I had my Storm 1, I was just minutes away from having to do a warranty exchange. It was just three days short being 1 year old when the dial pad ceased functioning. I went through the Tech Support routine and we could not resolve it. The tech initiated an order to ship me a new device. After we hung up, I went ahead and did a Security Wipe to remove all personal data. You can imagine my surprise when, after the reboot, the dial pad worked perfectly! I called VZW back and canceled the exchange. It was only a few days later when, after long and careful consideration, research and in-person investigation, that I decided to take advantage of an upgrade offer and got the S2. I was perfectly happy with the S1.
    Last edited by EnergyPlus; 02-15-10 at 12:22 PM.
    02-15-10 12:16 PM
    +1 for EnergyPlus' comment.

Never had I any issues with a BlackBerry that required returning the device. Must say though that the most solid BlackBerry I ever felt was the 8700c.
    02-15-10 12:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD