I'm a bit disappointed right now to be honest. I've used iPhone's equivalent easily, but BlackBerry Protect works intermittently for me when I tested it. And now, it's not working at all. I put my phone on silent, and have been trying unsuccessfully to get it to ring loudly (it's on, just called it and it rang without going straight to voicemail). Neither is the GPS location feature working as well, but my phone's GPS is laughable at best, so I didn't have high hopes

Anyhow, I was wondering how many people have used this feature, how many successful attempts, how many failed attempts?
    04-30-12 09:55 AM
    i've only had to use it once and it worked fine.
    CDM76 likes this.
    04-30-12 10:05 AM
    No issues with bb protect. Works on our three bb . They all need bis to work properly.
    04-30-12 10:11 AM
    I notice that you are on Bell. I don't know if it is related but you need BIS service which requires capitol EDGE or greater service. I am under the impression that when Bell went to GSM, they did not install the legacy networks that we get on Rogers when the signal drops or we are in some rural areas. In other words, is you phone loosing the 3G data network, but still retaining the cellular/phone portion and that is why the phone rings, but Protect doesn't work?

I just moved my wife from an iPhone 4s to a 9810 this weekend and this thread reminded me to check and make sure Protect is working with it. The phone is on the Bell network and the protect website found it to within a 7 meter accuracy within a minute.
    Last edited by robsteve; 04-30-12 at 10:28 AM.
    04-30-12 10:23 AM
    If you count having to make my wife's 9810 ring two or thee times a week to discover which room / closet / pocket / purse in the house she has left it in. Then yes it works simply and fast.

PS - Also works wonders at the library if you want to troll your signification other, but be warned the fun ends when the hammer drops
    Morty2264 likes this.
    04-30-12 11:22 AM
    Last week I left my bb at my Dads house. Soon after I left I got home and signed into bbprotect but couldn't find or lock the phone as he had turned it off before he slept.

Other than that, tests have always worked first time for me…i hope I don't have to use it again!
    04-30-12 11:26 AM
    Maybe it's just my phone. I've been having so many issues with it, I've started to doubt why I even have a BlackBerry. I think mine might just be a glitchy unit
    04-30-12 12:58 PM
    I had it when i was with 02 then when i tryed to change my network, i put my new sim in had bb protects poped up and i need to put my password in to prove its me and not stolen, but ive never lost so far as i knw it works perfect.....
    04-30-12 01:07 PM
    Well my Curve 9330 was stolen this weekend and unfortunately I forgot to leave the GPS on so ended up not being able to find the phone. At least it was password locked and has been blacklisted.
    04-30-12 01:43 PM
    Usually works within less than 10 meters for me .... Once it stated 70 something feet but at least i knew i left it at work.

Just wish protect would backup bbm messages too
    04-30-12 01:47 PM
    Maybe it's just my phone. I've been having so many issues with it, I've started to doubt why I even have a BlackBerry. I think mine might just be a glitchy unit
    Could be, or it could be what post#4 is saying
    04-30-12 01:54 PM
    It works perfectly for me. I've used it on both of our BB's.
    04-30-12 02:27 PM
    Well my Curve 9330 was stolen this weekend and unfortunately I forgot to leave the GPS on so ended up not being able to find the phone. At least it was password locked and has been blacklisted.
    You don't need to turn on the GPS. Protect will connect with your phone and turn on the GPS. Initially the location will be cell tower based but eventually you will get a GPS fix if the phone can get a view of the sky.
    spike12 likes this.
    04-30-12 03:10 PM
    i've installed and uninstalled it 3 times already. It locates the phone fine. It's backups I'm having a problem with. I have a lot of data on my phone and have only 35 mg available (phone memory - not SD card).

When I run the backup, it hangs at 99% and never completes. I'd love to have the backup work because I only do a weekly DM backup. It would be nice to have this work seemlessly in the background.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    04-30-12 04:30 PM
    I'm so sorry that that happened to you! It takes a really low person to steal a phone from someone else instead of buying it (like the other person had to do, with their hard-earned money)... .
    04-30-12 04:36 PM
    You don't need to turn on the GPS. Protect will connect with your phone and turn on the GPS. Initially the location will be cell tower based but eventually you will get a GPS fix if the phone can get a view of the sky.
    I tried to locate the phone when it was still active on my account and couldn't make a connection at all. Either way I'm not too worried about it at the moment.

I'm so sorry that that happened to you! It takes a really low person to steal a phone from someone else instead of buying it (like the other person had to do, with their hard-earned money)... .
    Yeah they also took some other stuff of mine I had on me at the time.
    04-30-12 05:20 PM
    I've tested it many times on my 9330 (Verizon) and it always works
    04-30-12 08:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD