Anyone out there using Blackberry Protect over other syncing software?

I currently use Google Sync, but have toyed with Protect when it originally came out. I also used MIQ by Best Buy for awhile in the past. I am thinking of switching to using Protect solely, but wanted some opinions/experiences from the CrackBerry audience.

Thanks!
    05-30-11 06:15 AM
    My contacts sync to Google automatically through GMail, but yeah I run Blackberry Protect too. I don't think I'll ever have to call upon it (I do a full backup about once per week as it is) but it's a handy feature to know you have running away in the background.

I also like all the added features on the blackberry protect site (remote lock, etc)
    05-30-11 03:45 PM
    I use BB Protect and sync with Outlook on my PC. I love BB Protect for the other stuff, remote wipe/location etc. It's not just about backing up your data, it's also about location of your BB if you've lost it.
    liverpool211 likes this.
    05-30-11 04:40 PM
    I use BB Protect and sync with Outlook on my PC. I love BB Protect for the other stuff, remote wipe/location etc. It's not just about backing up your data, it's also about location of your BB if you've lost it.
    Exactly
    05-30-11 04:43 PM
    I use google sync and bp.

They are both awesome.
    05-30-11 05:36 PM
    The only problem with it is that I have a conflict on my phone. I don't want duplicate contacts so Google won't let me sync it. All I have to do is delete my contacts but I'm just against doing so. My next phone will be a blackberry so I'm not worried about it personally.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-30-11 11:08 PM
    The only problem with it is that I have a conflict on my phone. I don't want duplicate contacts so Google won't let me sync it. All I have to do is delete my contacts but I'm just against doing so. My next phone will be a blackberry so I'm not worried about it personally.

If you allow duplicates (required if you want to use Google Sync) then all you need to do after you sync, if you do get duplicates, is go to the Gmail contacts and click on Merge Duplicates. Bada bing, it's done.
    rollingrock1988 likes this.
    05-31-11 07:31 AM
    Wow thanks man. That's awesome.

Now I can use both without a problem and my contacts AND settings are saved.
    06-01-11 12:07 PM
    I only loaded Blackberry Protect 2 days ago and did my first backup, all went ok.

I had Google Sync running on someone else's phone that I setup and it worked pretty well but sometimes ran into Calendar conflicts when 3 devices were involved, unfortunately Google Sync does not have any conflict resolution built in and in Google style is probably still a beta. Make no mistake Google Sync does work very well considering that it eliminates the syncing problems across different devices and I'm sure they'll have it working even better in the coming months. I had a Bold, Galaxy Tab and Laptop all syncing with the Google Account, try and do that using normal syncing software.

What I'd however like to know is how safe Blackberry Protect is, is my data sent encrypted to their servers? is RIM able to decrypt and read that data or can only my device and password ever decrypt it? Have searched for an answer to this but have not found anything. I like the idea of Blackberry Protect but I would like to know in what state my data is sitting on their servers.
    06-29-11 05:38 AM
  10. T
    What I'd however like to know is how safe Blackberry Protect is, is my data sent encrypted to their servers? is RIM able to decrypt and read that data or can only my device and password ever decrypt it? Have searched for an answer to this but have not found anything. I like the idea of Blackberry Protect but I would like to know in what state my data is sitting on their servers.
    Kind of important. If they can see/decrypt it, it's just another cloud, and I'd rather not use it. This might be something we have to ask RIM directly. The fact that you've looked and can't find the answer makes me suspicious.

06-29-11 06:31 AM
    I use BP and have it set to back up everyday. I prefer it and my weekly desktop back ups to google sync. My contacts are just now getting back straight and my calendar is still a mess thanks to google syncs dominance issues.

06-29-11 09:42 AM
    I used BB Protect and after I downloaded it, my phone started going haywire. Idk what it was but after I deleted it, my phone was perfectly fine. Im sad cause I loved that app :/
    I would give it another try. It's been flawless for me for close to two months now. I get a daily backup without having to think about it.
    06-29-11 10:09 AM
    I have BP backup everything except contacts and calandar. I let BIS keep those two items synced with my gmail account.

Seems to be a good system for me.

06-29-11 10:39 AM
    I would give it another try. It's been flawless for me for close to two months now. I get a daily backup without having to think about it.
    +1 I've had BP for about that long and haven't had a single issue.

this thread could use a nudge to http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/
    06-29-11 10:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD