Bad news!

My wife lost her Z10 today. She has a BBID and I remember activating the BB Protect feature when I configured her phone. So, when she lost it today, I tried to log-in to the BB Protect website and was greeted with the message "Sorry, we are currently performing maintenance.Please, try again later." Ok, so, after some long searching, I managed to find a phone number for blackberry technical support. After explaining my situation, I was told that Protect is NOT a feature on the Z10 / Q10. When I argued with the support tech. and explained to her that I was looking directly at the Blackberry Protect option on my Z10, I was told that Protect on the new Blackberry z10/q10 does not function in that capacity ie: remote wipe or remote locate. So what good is it? I feel I have been tricked into believing this was a feature of BB10 OS when in fact it isn't. My god - it was a feature on my Bold 9900. Anyways, I'm extremely disheartened and out a fare chunk of cash. My carrier, Bell Mobility, also is not willing to perform an emergency ping or gps locate - something they only do for life and death emergencies. If anyone else has any suggestions on how to remotely wipe or locate my phone, please help. As for anyone who believes that their phone is protected with Blackberry Protect, think again. I think IOS7 is in my future because this is a huge oversight on behalf of blackberry.
    06-19-13 02:43 PM
    Well sorry mate but it is. I've used it on my phone and it locates it. Never tried to wipe though cos was just testing it.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-13 02:46 PM
    I just tried logging in and got the same message... Very strange. I've used it before and it had no problem locating my device, as well sending alterts, etc. I didn't try wiping it though... Maybe it's since 10.1?
    06-19-13 02:51 PM
    Bad news!

My wife lost her Z10 today. She has a BBID and I remember activating the BB Protect feature when I configured her phone. So, when she lost it today, I tried to log-in to the BB Protect website and was greeted with the message "Sorry, we are currently performing maintenance.Please, try again later." Ok, so, after some long searching, I managed to find a phone number for blackberry technical support. After explaining my situation, I was told that Protect is NOT a feature on the Z10 / Q10. When I argued with the support tech. and explained to her that I was looking directly at the Blackberry Protect option on my Z10, I was told that Protect on the new Blackberry z10/q10 does not function in that capacity ie: remote wipe or remote locate. So what good is it? I feel I have been tricked into believing this was a feature of BB10 OS when in fact it isn't. My god - it was a feature on my Bold 9900. Anyways, I'm extremely disheartened and out a fare chunk of cash. My carrier, Bell Mobility, also is not willing to perform an emergency ping or gps locate - something they only do for life and death emergencies. If anyone else has any suggestions on how to remotely wipe or locate my phone, please help. As for anyone who believes that their phone is protected with Blackberry Protect, think again. I think IOS7 is in my future because this is a huge oversight on behalf of blackberry.
    I know of a thread on here about someone that lost his phone and used BlackBerry Protect to find it. It does work tho, that I know for sure!
    06-19-13 02:53 PM
    Ok somebody done told you wrong, blackberry protect does do everything you thought and stated.

I used it yesterday to answer a question a poster had.

And I used locate and it worked I sent the sound and it all worked.

I didn't wipe the device though.

I did it for my Q10 and 9900 yesterday.

But you are right at the time of this post BlackBerry Protect is doing maintenance.

Blackberry Protect Useless to Locate/Wipe BB10 Phone - Major Flaw-img_00000014.png

Posted via CB10
    Attached Thumbnails Blackberry Protect Useless to Locate/Wipe BB10 Phone - Major Flaw-img_00000013.png  
    06-19-13 03:05 PM
    Ok somebody done told you wrong, blackberry protect does do everything you thought and stated.

I used it yesterday to answer a question a poster had.

And I used locate and it worked I sent the sound and it all worked.

I didn't wipe the device though.

I did it for my Q10 and 9900 yesterday.

But you are right at the time of this post BlackBerry Protect is doing maintenance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000014.png 
Views:	780 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	173926

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    06-19-13 03:06 PM
    All right, Bell escalated me back to Blackberry moments ago. Another rep has told me that Blackberry Protect does function in this capacity for the new BB10 OS phones, but that Protect has been down all day and no ETA when it will be operational again. Not good at a time when every second counts and the longer it stays missing the less of a chance I'll locate it.
    06-19-13 03:32 PM
    All right, Bell escalated me back to Blackberry moments ago. Another rep has told me that Blackberry Protect does function in this capacity for the new BB10 OS phones, but that Protect has been down all day and no ETA when it will be operational again. Not good at a time when every second counts and the longer it stays missing the less of a chance I'll locate it.
    While you're waiting I would log into my carriers page and see what calls and text are being made and make a note of them.

That's the first thing I do when my kid loses the S4. The first one, calls were never made from it. The second one had a slew of calls being made from it.

It was supposed be set to lock after a certain amount of time. And the home screen was supposed to have a reward message, but you know kids neither of these were done.

But the person who found the second one used contact entry for Mom and called to say they had found it at a swim meet location.

All the calls that were made were to my kids friends asking if someone knew the ownwer of the phone.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-13 03:55 PM
    http://n4bb.com/blackberry-issues-se...-critical-bug/

This must have been why BlackBerry Protect was down, they were more than likely patching the system.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-13 02:24 AM
    I'm curious, but did you find the phone yet?

Posted via CB10
    06-21-13 02:57 AM