I got a problem with my blackberry passport. The Passport got lost and first I tried to locate it with blackberry protect. It did not work, then I have marked it as stolen and I have used the delete function in Blackberry Protect. First the software told me that there would be no connection with the smartphone and that the commands would be executed after the device would be connected next time.

Now I can see only this picture, there are no further information. What does this mean? Were all the information on the device deleted after it has connected? Is therefore now no further information available? Or does the picture only mean that Blackberry protect does currently not work with the Passport? I simply do not know/understand the meaning of the symbol on the right side (the smartphone with the red warning sign).

(the pin in the picture is a dummy, I've changed this before uploading the picture).
    blackberry protect - meaning of the cellphone with red symbol on the right side-blackprotect-error-wo.jpg
    09-01-15 03:38 PM
    Means BlackBerry Anti-Theft is off indicating you've disabled Protect or you aren't running 10.3.2. Also, just a tip.. this is explained by hovering your cursor over the icon.
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    09-01-15 04:32 PM
    It is a Blackberry Passport which has a rather new version of the operating system, though I do not know the exact version by heart. I have tested Protect by locating the device still a couple of weeks ago, then it still worked. Today after the first log in into the blackberry protect website it told me the device would have been located last time 4 days ago in my home. Would this maybe mean that the one having found my Passport managed do switch off Blackberry Protect? It could be that the smartphone had not a locked display when it was found by someone.

I tried to hover the cursor over both of the icons. Hovering over the hand I get only the commment ":", so only a double quote. Hovering over the smarthphone on the right side I do not get any comments.
    Last edited by blackbird21; 09-01-15 at 05:13 PM.
    09-01-15 05:00 PM
    Was your device locked when you lost it? If not Protect has been switched off

bblogo Watch out for the Signature Police
    09-01-15 05:11 PM
    Would this maybe mean that the one having found my Passport managed do switch off Blackberry Protect? It could be that the smartphone had not a locked display when it was found by someone.
    Without knowing the exact version, it's hard to say because with 10.3.2 there's no way to disable protect without your BBID being entered aside from the obvious being that it's no longer connected to a network.

Either way, it would seems as though there's 2 scenarios here.

1) Your device is gone and likely being used by someone else, you can continue to try and track it through Protect but I doubt that will help much.
    2) Your device is gone but if it's running 10.3.2, it's pretty much unusable to anyone who has it because they don't have your BBID and Password.
    09-01-15 05:32 PM
    My last hope: Given the delete function of Protect would have worked, would the Protect website then after the delete process show the same symbol? Or would I get any other message in that case?

I guess it might be the case that there was no locked screen. I've used it, have been distracted and someone else took it. I recognized it too late. I've changed all my passwords. But I fear that the theft could have access to the emails and whatsap messages which are on the phone.
    My provider does not support deactivating cellphones by the imei number. So I have no idea what else I could do to delete these messages. Even I do not know if maybe the messages would still remain on the phone after the theft would insert a new sim chip.
    09-01-15 05:43 PM
    Given someone else puts in a new sim chip and goes online again, would then the Protect Service still (so with the new sim card) be able to delete the content of the smartphone? Or would there be no connection anymore as soon as there is a new sim chip?

10.3.2: Is it correct that the amazon app store came with version 10.3.2? I know that I got the amazon shop on the Passport.
    09-01-15 05:47 PM
    Given someone else puts in a new sim chip and goes online again, would then the Protect Service still (so with the new sim card) be able to delete the content of the smartphone? Or would there be no connection anymore as soon as there is a new sim chip?

10.3.2: Is it correct that the amazon app store came with version 10.3.2? I know that I got the amazon shop on the Passport.
    There would be no connection anymore as it doesn't even allow them to set up the device. They can't get past the BBID login. While I can't say certain there's no data left of your phone, there's a pretty good chance that by now they have screwed it up so much trying to get into it and reset it that they've reached the point where it has wiped itself.
    09-01-15 06:04 PM
    sorry I ask again but this is the first time this happens to me and I'm really nervous about what could happen. Could you please help me to understand the consequences for these two detailed possible cases? I hope I've understood right your already helpful comments.

Case 1:
    a) I had used a screen lock in general for the Passport.
    b) I had activated Protect in version 10.3.2.
    c) When the theft found the Passport, the screen lock was activated, meaning he would have had to try codes what would probably fail.

- According to what I've understood so far, in this case 1 I guess the theft won't be able to read any of my data and the Passport will delete its contents completely after enough failed login attempts.
    - And due to Protect the Passport would delete its contents completely as well when changing the sim card. Would this be correct?

Case 2:
    a) I had used a screen lock in general for the Passport. (equal to case 1)
    b) I had activated Blackberry Protect in version 10.3.2. (equal to case 1)
    c) When the theft found the Passport, the screen lock was NOT activated because he has found it just a short while after I had used it and it was still usable. This could mean, he would have had the chance to change settings and that he would have had the chance to read my data immediately when finding the device.

Given this Case 2:
    - Could the theft have deactivated the screen lock without knowing my code for the screen lock?
    - Could he have deactivated Blackberry Protect without knowing my code for the screen lock and without knowing the Blackberry Protect password?
    - Would the Passport delete its data after changing the sim card?
    If I understood you right, Protect would even help in this case 2 with version 10.3.2.
    09-02-15 01:39 AM
    sorry I ask again but this is the first time this happens to me and I'm really nervous about what could happen. Could you please help me to understand the consequences for these two detailed possible cases? I hope I've understood right your already helpful comments.

Case 1:
    a) I had used a screen lock in general for the Passport.
    b) I had activated Protect in version 10.3.2.
    c) When the theft found the Passport, the screen lock was activated, meaning he would have had to try codes what would probably fail.

- According to what I've understood so far, in this case 1 I guess the theft won't be able to read any of my data and the Passport will delete its contents completely after enough failed login attempts.
    - And due to Protect the Passport would delete its contents completely as well when changing the sim card. Would this be correct?

Case 2:
    a) I had used a screen lock in general for the Passport. (equal to case 1)
    b) I had activated Blackberry Protect in version 10.3.2. (equal to case 1)
    c) When the theft found the Passport, the screen lock was NOT activated because he has found it just a short while after I had used it and it was still usable. This could mean, he would have had the chance to change settings and that he would have had the chance to read my data immediately when finding the device.

Given this Case 2:
    - Could the theft have deactivated the screen lock without knowing my code for the screen lock?
    - Could he have deactivated Blackberry Protect without knowing my code for the screen lock and without knowing the Blackberry Protect password?
    - Would the Passport delete its data after changing the sim card?
    If I understood you right, Protect would even help in this case 2 with version 10.3.2.
    A thief would not be able to change any settings on the phone without the device password, even if the phone was unlocked at the time of the theft. The phone still asks for the password, and if it's entered incorrectly 10 times, the phone does a security wipe.

Unless you have been using your Passport without a password, your data is safe. However, if the OS was earlier than 10.3.2, the wiped phone could still be used with a new SIM card, and the thief could disable Protect, so you would not be able to wipe or locate the phone remotely.

I hope you used a real password that wasn't 1234 or similar.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    09-02-15 06:43 AM