I installed blackberry protect. Seems like a good app. My only question is if somebody steals my phone and they know a little bit about BBs, cant they simply go into the BB Protect app and log out? Now BB Protect can't be used remotely? Or they can change the settings to NOT allow any of the remote functions.

Shouldnt the password be needed to turn off BB Protect?

I can't imagine BB would have missed this when they designed it, so what am I missing?
    09-03-11 10:14 PM
    When I click "stop Blackberry Protect" it asks for my BBID password.
    09-03-11 10:17 PM
    Where is the "stop BB Protect" option. I can sign out of BB protect without a password. And I can go into options and stop location reporting as well without a password.
    09-03-11 10:29 PM
    I see no way to "logout". All i can do is hit the menu key in the app, and choose stop bb protect as i said.

I can, however, change options as you mentioned without being asked for a password.

Maybe RIM figures you will lock the phone before someone has the chance to shut it down?

Good points for improvement though. I would 'hide' the icon for added security, but yes anyone who knows what they are doing will figure that out.
    09-03-11 10:42 PM
    When I hit the menu button, I do NOT see a "stop BB protect". I have "sign out".

Either way it is set up silly if someone can go into it and turn off the location function.

On your phone when you hit "stop BB protect" does it ask you for your password to complete that task?

I can sign out, which I assume ends its functionality without a password.

i do have the icon hidden, but as mentioned earlier. If the crook knows anything about BBs it will be easy to find and shutdown. On OS6 and later, all you have to do is type "protect" from the main screen and the icon will show up in the search.
    09-03-11 11:06 PM
    I imagine that Rim thinks anyone concerned about security of their phone will have it password protected so a thief cannot access the device even if he gets his hands on it.

If you do not want to lock your phone and password protect it you can use an app locker app that lets you select which apps are password protected. AFBB has a free one called AppLocker Free.
    Last edited by izzachar; 09-03-11 at 11:26 PM.
    09-03-11 11:16 PM
    I am of the opinion this was an oversight on RIMs part.
    09-03-11 11:56 PM
    I agree. Is your BB protect the latest version? I'm curious that they are different ...
    09-04-11 12:05 AM
    My BB Protect icon is hidden within one of the other folders. So unless whoever finds my BB goes thru the folders and clicks on "show all" they wont even know I have BB protect.
    09-04-11 01:08 AM
    My BB Protect icon is hidden within one of the other folders. So unless whoever finds my BB goes thru the folders and clicks on "show all" they wont even know I have BB protect.
    Do you have the global search function enabled? If so they can just type "protect" and the icon will magically appear on the screen. I am presuming a BB savvy thief.
    09-04-11 10:52 AM
    I agree. Is your BB protect the latest version? I'm curious that they are different ...
    I will have to check if I have the latest version. I downloaded it very recently.
    09-04-11 10:53 AM
    The version on the 9800 may be different than the version on the new phones (9900, 9810) that come with BB Protect incorporated into OS7. I get the impression it's an oversight they corrected with OS7.
    09-04-11 12:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD