It happens just as I predicted. I was in a store today and the Blackberry Priv was there available so that you could tinker with it. Previously with the BB10 phones were not allowed to be sold at all because there are forces that want to kill non-US operating systems.

Essentially what this means is that.

They suddenly want to sell Blackberry because it is now running Android.
    The prize is higher that the Blackberry Passport, so that they are too expensive and the sales volume is too low is false.
    01-16-16 11:01 AM
    It happens just as I predicted. I was in a store today and the Blackberry Priv was there available so that you could tinker with it. Previously with the BB10 phones were not allowed to be sold at all because there are forces that want to kill non-US operating systems.

The prize is higher that the Blackberry Passport, so that they are too expensive and the sales volume is too low is false.
    Our robot overseers demand it.

Alternately it could be not true that you couldn't buy BB10 phones - amazon and verizon carry them for instance

True that Android is a mobile computing system and BB10 not so much.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-16 11:13 AM
    bb can also sell there older phones for little cheaper but it seems they never drop the price the pp og is still 500 plus taxes i mean c'mon they can drop a little to at least bring in newer people to at least try the OS. im sure they dont want that though
    01-16-16 11:13 AM
    Maybe the carriers simply don't want to risk the returns of BB10 devices when buyers try to install their favorite apps. There is also a lot of extra training to do when you support an additional OS.
    Witmen likes this.
    01-16-16 11:28 AM
    BB10 phones were allowed to be sold, its just that no one bought them.
    01-16-16 11:41 AM
    BB10 phones were allowed to be sold, its just that no one bought them.
    Who is going to buy a very plastic feel Blackberry Android phone for almost $800? The point with this thread was to show that all these arguments falters and the real reason that I stated is becoming more clear.
    01-16-16 12:56 PM
    Who is going to buy a very plastic feel Blackberry Android phone for almost $800? The point with this thread was to show that all these arguments falters and the real reason that I stated is becoming more clear.
    No, because BB10 phones are available. So your "argument" doesn't make any sense.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-16 01:05 PM
    I'm not even clear as to what you were stating in the first place.
    Bbnivende, TGR1, Witmen and 2 others like this.
    01-16-16 02:32 PM
    I'm not even clear as to what you were stating in the first place.
    He was right..... about something.
    01-16-16 03:09 PM
    Fair point. Maybe I don't know what he means.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-16 05:27 PM
    because there are forces that want to kill non-US operating systems.
    Yes. The forces of "consumer demand" which is followed "developer support."

There is no conspiracy here, just a platform that was late to the party, and half-finished when it was initially released.
    TGR1, MikeX74, LazyEvul and 4 others like this.
    01-16-16 05:42 PM
    Those darn illuminati, ruining it for the little guy.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-16-16 05:56 PM
    Bb10 didnt sell because the market did not want it. You can put the conspiracy theories to bed. Smartphone purchases are driven by applications. Hell Microsoft can't get anyone to buy their phones either. Do you think there is a conspiracy against Microsoft?

Posted via CB10
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    01-16-16 06:23 PM

Not sure exactly what your point is ? or what you predicted ?
    But seems there are a lot of people paying $800 for the "Priv"
    01-17-16 06:19 AM
    I think they are trying actively to sell it partly because it is Android. They know Android sells, and they can actually demo it with no steep learning curve.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-16 07:24 AM
    I don't see any indication that Priv is selling well first off. Second BB10 devices were VERY hard to find at carrier stores (where the majority of devices are sold). I have sent many people to go check them out only to have them turned away by reps. Store models were always hidden, powered down or all out missing. Carriers have good reason not to sell BB10 though and it has nothing to do with apps. Its data usage, why would you push a device that guarantees the customer will not need a higher tear data plan? Android device with the same apps installed will consume significantly more data than a BB10 device and the carriers knw this.
    I have been asking on social networking "why you did not buy a blackberry" and the most common reason was that the people had no idea they still made phones. Out of about 180 reply's only 1 person said they preferred android and about 20 said because they preferred iOS. Blackberry did nothing to push its own platform and the carriers do not want to sell it.
    01-17-16 07:51 AM
    I don't see any indication that Priv is selling well first off. Second BB10 devices were VERY hard to find at carrier stores (where the majority of devices are sold). I have sent many people to go check them out only to have them turned away by reps. Store models were always hidden, powered down or all out missing. Carriers have good reason not to sell BB10 though and it has nothing to do with apps. Its data usage, why would you push a device that guarantees the customer will not need a higher tear data plan? Android device with the same apps installed will consume significantly more data than a BB10 device and the carriers knw this.
    I have been asking on social networking "why you did not buy a blackberry" and the most common reason was that the people had no idea they still made phones. Out of about 180 reply's only 1 person said they preferred android and about 20 said because they preferred iOS. Blackberry did nothing to push its own platform and the carriers do not want to sell it.
    Is the additional data usage really substantial enough to cause people to buy larger plans?

Posted via CB10
    01-17-16 08:13 AM
    Is the additional data usage really substantial enough to cause people to buy larger plans?

Posted via CB10
    My friends and family have. I use a 2 gig plan for 2 devices and have never gotten close to going over. My mother who is on wifi 90% of the day had to upgrade to a 4 gig from a 1 gig (and still goes over) after switching from windows phone to android. She does not download apps and uses it primarily for FB and text.
    My father uses about 8 gigs per month for 2 android phones after I dropped from our family plan and he switched to android phones from BB. Before I dropped we had a 3 gig plan and seldom went over.
    01-17-16 08:18 AM
    My friends and family have. I use a 2 gig plan for 2 devices and have never gotten close to going over. My mother who is on wifi 90% of the day had to upgrade to a 4 gig from a 1 gig (and still goes over) after switching from windows phone to android. She does not download apps and uses it primarily for FB and text.
    My father uses about 8 gigs per month for 2 android phones after I dropped from our family plan and he switched to android phones from BB. Before I dropped we had a 3 gig plan and seldom went over.
    I have a Q10, and my wife has a Galaxy. I haven't noticed much of a difference. That being said, something to consider for the future.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-16 08:23 AM
    Are you actually talking about "carrier stores". I have been in Verizon and AT&T actual corporate stores and BB10 phones are prominently displayed. In the Verizon store I frequent, BB10 is more prominently displayed than iPhones.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-16 08:26 AM
    Are you actually talking about "carrier stores". I have been in Verizon and AT&T actual corporate stores and BB10 phones are prominently displayed. In the Verizon store I frequent, BB10 is more prominently displayed than iPhones.

Posted via CB10
    That's awesome. I have never seen that in my area and it has been a common complaint on the forums.
    web99 likes this.
    01-17-16 08:28 AM
    That's awesome. I have never seen that in my area and it has been a common complaint on the forums.
    I've certainly seen that a lot here on CrackBerry. I wonder if it is the location, I'm in suburban New York City, or the fact that these stores are actually carrier owned. Could be a bit of both.
    Posted via CB10
    01-17-16 08:39 AM
    Not allowed to be sold????

They sold 700k of them last quarter. Majority of the population simply isn't buying them. U expect carriers to keep displaying phones that don't sell? That BlackBerry barely advertised for?

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB and JeepBB like this.
    01-17-16 08:54 AM
    I don't see any indication that Priv is selling well first off. Second BB10 devices were VERY hard to find at carrier stores (where the majority of devices are sold). I have sent many people to go check them out only to have them turned away by reps.
    The Priv is widely on sale now but my observation is that it doesn't sell better than any BB10 device. It is just too expensive for the average Android consumer, Blackberry fans will not buy it because it doesn't run BB10. The Priv is dead on arrival and a completely artificial product not based on any sane business analysis. The purpose of the Priv was to kill BB10 so that I cannot ever because popular. Blackberry has now diverted so much resources to Android that BB10 is dead, which is the same model they used for Symbian. Next step is to sack the QNX and BB10 personnel so that it becomes impossible to continue developing the OS:
    dolco and Q10Bold like this.
    01-17-16 01:03 PM
    Well many people are buying the Andriod Priv inspite of the price being high. The sales figures of Priv since launch will be much much higher than Passport or Z30 .

 Passport SE on Etisalat 4G Network propelled by 10.3.2.2876
    JNorth22 likes this.
    01-17-16 01:34 PM
41 12