Change log attached

Attachment 106977

Edit: I've also noticed a new icon in the notification bar. It looks exactly like the Podcast menu icon, and I'm guessing shows up when you have newly downloaded, unheard podcasts.
    Last edited by raino; 04-04-12 at 02:07 PM.
    04-04-12 01:40 PM
    And it begins
    04-04-12 01:42 PM
    I for one don't mind the removal of the catalog. It was woefully lacking
    04-04-12 01:55 PM
    I for one don't mind the removal of the catalog. It was woefully lacking
    I actually always typed in the url. Never once looked at the catalog, so no big lose to me either.
    04-04-12 02:08 PM
    Why does the updated podcasts app only let you go back 20 episodes? That's ridiculous. I was in the middle of listening to a podcast series that had 200+ episodes and now I have to individually download them and transfer them from my computer to my blackberry. Now they're gonna be mixed up within my music too. Seriously? I'm pissed. :/
    04-04-12 04:32 PM
    Why the catalog removal? I browsed through it from time to time. If we don't upgrade will it keep working. I haven't yet.
    04-04-12 06:45 PM
    I liked the podcast app. It was one of the reasons I came back to my BB. This kinda sucks.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-04-12 08:24 PM
    I liked the podcast app. It was one of the reasons I came back to my BB. This kinda sucks.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    The app is still there. It just won't have a podcast library you could select podcasts to subscribe from, and it won't store tons of episodes on your device, as another person has reported.
    04-04-12 08:49 PM
    Just like what the other people said no big deal. At least you can subscribe via url
    04-04-12 09:28 PM
    This is an "upgrade" like a bug is a "feature." It's much better to have the podcast library available than to force everyone to type in URL's. Worse, the URL search function, which routes you to Google, is cumbersome and doesn't generate good search results. I even had to go back and find the URL's for a number of my subscribed-to podcasts, which was a pain. In short, not exactly the most consumer-friendly move on their part - perhaps this is part of the focus on enterprise?

All that moaning aside, I still like the Podcasts app in general - I had paid $10 for PodTrapper back when the BB Podcast wasn't working a few months ago, but once it was functioning again, I nixed PodTrapper because BB Podcasts' interface is cleaner and it's easier to use. Bring back the podcast library thing, I say!
    04-04-12 09:55 PM
    Bring back the podcast library thing, I say!
    Agreed. Not a fan of loosing features.
    04-04-12 10:55 PM
    I've been using PodTrapper for years, and it seems to be a reliable podcast manager. It is not free, but it works for me. May be wortb a look.
    04-05-12 12:53 AM
    This is an "upgrade" like a bug is a "feature." It's much better to have the podcast library available than to force everyone to type in URL's. Worse, the URL search function, which routes you to Google, is cumbersome and doesn't generate good search results. I even had to go back and find the URL's for a number of my subscribed-to podcasts, which was a pain. In short, not exactly the most consumer-friendly move on their part - perhaps this is part of the focus on enterprise?

All that moaning aside, I still like the Podcasts app in general - I had paid $10 for PodTrapper back when the BB Podcast wasn't working a few months ago, but once it was functioning again, I nixed PodTrapper because BB Podcasts' interface is cleaner and it's easier to use. Bring back the podcast library thing, I say!
    I'm never a fan of removing a "feature" when upgrading an app; but the podcast library app from Blackberry was horrendously poor at actually having podcasts in it. Searching for Global TV, for example, until recently used to always link you to out-of-date podcasts and never the current ones. I am almost always have to find the url on my computer and then type it into my phone so that I can subscribe to the podcasts I want.

I'm not happy that they are removing the catalogue but it's not the greatest loss I've seen RIM do. I wonder if this will eventually make it's way to the Playbook's podcast app?
    04-05-12 02:49 AM
    I think this is part of RIM's strategy to refocus their efforts on development where it benefits business first, their core market, but still provide the products to consumers. The tradeoff is moving away from RIM-managed media sources such as the podcast catalog. When it makes sense for media like movies, music, mags, they are seeking partners that will provide apps as portals to the partner media repository as free or paid.

Expect to see other catalogs go to partners or disappear in the meantime.
    04-05-12 10:37 AM
    The lack of the podcast catalog makes it harder to find new podcasts - and the way they've implemented the process to re-subscribe to your existing podcasts is ridiculously cumbersome and a very tiring process if there were more than a couple subscriptions before.

I've been using the beta for the podcast app for a while now, and they didn't change anything between the beta and the full release - I've still got lockup and stability issues when adding podcasts with more than 20 episodes on my Bold 9900; problems that didn't exist with the previous version of the podcast app. Overall, disappointed with RIM's move to get away from the hosted catalog without offering something to replace it.
    04-05-12 01:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD