Exactly! The direct, simple, efficient, and possible anywhere (some conditions apply) connection is what this is about.

I tried Samsung DeX last night and it was more like a streaming app, with a expanded interface, allowing you essentially to control the phone with a keyboard and mouse on a display. It doesn't connect to your PC, it desktop-izes your phone. If the DeX would be software only, wirelessly connectable, and become a Windows application that would be on the Blend side of things.

Also, the BLEND style of application that we refer to (BBOS style) is not THAT impossibly hard as some of us make it to be. It has been done on Nokia's Symbian to a degree it was highly efficient, it was a bit less than the Blend as reach. Streaming apps have been around for quite some time, while this is actually just having an app controlling only some of the essential apps on the phone.

The issues may be that it's just that there are more profits on the "consumer" side of things than the "productivity" side of things. We are the minority, so less people work for us. We would have to be more and/or pay higher premiums...
    Last edited by Laumi; 03-06-18 at 12:34 AM. Reason: grammar, clarity, typos
    03-06-18 12:30 AM
    You don't drop the iOS or Mac as the majority of high powered decision makers in the Enterprise space are using iPhones. The hipsters and others on iOS are using Mac OS and you want to capture them, so you need to support them. .
    So are you saying you want HUB+ for iOS so that iPhone users can have it, and thus use Blend on their iPads and Mac? As it is if they are using iPhones, Blend would server little purpose as HUB+ is only an Android product right now. Don't see wanting to run Blend on an iPhone to view content on an Android.

Adding HUB+ to iOS would be a huge undertaking... but probable necessary with how many iPhones are in enterprise, if BlackBerry wants the UEM options. Which probable only put Blend further back on the list of thing for their small development team to work on.

Win 7 & 8 are legacy and most people are using Win 10 at home. Most enterprises are upgrading to Win 10 so there's no point sticking with anything Win 7 or 8.
    I get Win7 & Win8 are the past... but still more users on those platforms than on Win10. And for enterprise Win8 has another five years of support...

As for Chromebook, that's too niche. People on Android mostly have a pc which they're using more on a regular basis or a tablet than they are a Chromebook.
    Agree... but then Chrome and Android are likly to become one and the same...

If there's $$ to be made, it's with the iOS people since they'd think it was the greatest things since the release of the iPhone and would lap it up. Heck, approach Apple and let Apple release it as their own app, but pay royalties to BlackBerry for it. Then you'd have every media outlet praising it like it was the second coming of Siri.
    Is there a market for this? I don't us Apple devices, my wife has an iPad and iPhone and she seems to be able to messaging and access files with either device... Not sure how MacOS interacts with either... but if there is money to be made, Apple wold be the one to do it.

All I'm saying is maybe it would cost more than you might think it would cost.... and that is why THEY haven't moved forward yet.

If HUB+ for enterprise grows, if BBMo sales expand... that might change the outlook.
    03-06-18 09:43 AM
    You don't drop the iOS or Mac as the majority of high powered decision makers in the Enterprise space are using iPhones. The hipsters and others on iOS are using Mac OS and you want to capture them, so you need to support them.
    If there's $$ to be made, it's with the iOS people since they'd think it was the greatest things since the release of the iPhone and would lap it up. Heck, approach Apple and let Apple release it as their own app, but pay royalties to BlackBerry for it.
    This would be redundant, as Continuity and Handoff have been built in since iOS 8 and Yosemite, released in 2014.
    03-06-18 03:36 PM
    This would be redundant, as Continuity and Handoff have been built in since iOS 8 and Yosemite, released in 2014.
    Nothing is able to handle BBM other than Blend.
    03-06-18 03:45 PM
    So are you saying you want HUB+ for iOS so that iPhone users can have it, and thus use Blend on their iPads and Mac? As it is if they are using iPhones, Blend would server little purpose as HUB+ is only an Android product right now. Don't see wanting to run Blend on an iPhone to view content on an Android.

Adding HUB+ to iOS would be a huge undertaking... but probable necessary with how many iPhones are in enterprise, if BlackBerry wants the UEM options. Which probable only put Blend further back on the list of thing for their small development team to work on.

I get Win7 & Win8 are the past... but still more users on those platforms than on Win10. And for enterprise Win8 has another five years of support...

Agree... but then Chrome and Android are likly to become one and the same...

Is there a market for this? I don't us Apple devices, my wife has an iPad and iPhone and she seems to be able to messaging and access files with either device... Not sure how MacOS interacts with either... but if there is money to be made, Apple wold be the one to do it.

All I'm saying is maybe it would cost more than you might think it would cost.... and that is why THEY haven't moved forward yet.

If HUB+ for enterprise grows, if BBMo sales expand... that might change the outlook.
    No, iOS doesn't need Hub+ unless BlackBerry decides to chase that. Different topic so I won't go into it. Just saying Blend should be available for iOS, Mac, Android and Win 10.

Forget about legacy Win 8. It's going to be unsupported soon since Win 10 is the new standard for everything Microsoft.

Remember, for Apple, just because they can do something currently that's close, doesn't mean that Blend can't succeed. If that was the case, we wouldn't have all those photo editing apps, texting apps, etc..

As for Apple in enterprise, most users are issued an iPhone, but work on a Win 10 pc. That's where you want the penetration and have them using Blend. Once they're introduced to it, then it's something they'd probably use at home too.
    03-06-18 03:50 PM
    Nothing is able to handle BBM other than Blend.
    The number of heavy BBM users on iOS is most likely not worth the development cost. What would be the point of developing a top-to-bottom solution, just for BBM? You don't need Blend for that, just desktop BBM (or heck, a Web portal for BBM).

Plus, BlackBerry is no longer involved in BBM for iOS. That's Emtek's domain now.
    03-06-18 03:53 PM
    The number of heavy BBM users on iOS is most likely not worth the development cost. What would be the point of developing a top-to-bottom solution, just for BBM? You don't need Blend for that, just desktop BBM (or heck, a Web portal for BBM).

Plus, BlackBerry is no longer involved in BBM for iOS. That's Emtek's domain now.
    The users of iPhones in large businesses and enterprises all use Windows PC, not Mac, so they need to develop it for them to use so they can connect their iPhones to their PCs.

I've worked in large multi country corporations (10,000+ employees) ranging from Wall St to Oil & Gas. Employees were issued iPhones but all computers were PCs.

We don't know what the web portal is capable of right now other than BBM whereas Blend could do BBM, email and text.
    03-06-18 05:22 PM
    The users of iPhones in large businesses and enterprises all use Windows PC, not Mac, so they need to develop it for them to use so they can connect their iPhones to their PCs.

I've worked in large multi country corporations (10,000+ employees) ranging from Wall St to Oil & Gas. Employees were issued iPhones but all computers were PCs.

We don't know what the web portal is capable of right now other than BBM whereas Blend could do BBM, email and text.
    How many of those users do you honestly think use BBM on a regular basis? If it were really that in demand, BlackBerry wouldn’t have offloaded it to a 3rd party.

Aside from that, it wouldn’t be able to handle text messages on the iPhone, because iOS doesn’t allow 3rd party apps to access SMS data. So you’re left with an average email client and an unpopular 3rd party messaging service. Not very compelling.
    03-06-18 07:43 PM
    The "if only they'd do it, they'd make money" theory... isn't something that Chen is all that prone to accept.

He has data showing BBM growth/decline. He has data showing how much Blend was used by the enterprise customers that did buy into BB10. And he has data showing the make up of most of their UEM customers. And I'm sure his people know how to ask those customers if Blend is something they need or want. And he has data on how many paying subscriptions there are for HUB+ vs how many either use the ad supported one or even use the Cobalt hack.
    03-07-18 07:55 AM
109 ... 345