I like how Goolge has started increasing the amount of Google Play Edition phones, available for purchase without having to go through a carrier. Three benefits, Unlocked, No carrier bloatware, early OS updates straight from Google. I wonder if BB would ever consider this option. I would love to get quick updates and not have to uninstall or hide all the AT&T crap apps.
    08-29-13 10:04 AM
    I like how Goolge has started increasing the amount of Google Play Edition phones, available for purchase without having to go through a carrier. Three benefits, Unlocked, No carrier bloatware, early OS updates straight from Google. I wonder if BB would ever consider this option. I would love to get quick updates and not have to uninstall or hide all the AT&T crap apps.
    If I'm not mistaken, the reason they do not do this is because they can't afford it.
    08-29-13 10:39 AM
    If I'm not mistaken, the reason they do not do this is because they can't afford it.
    Why couldn't they afford it? If anything they would probably make more selling unlocked phones themselves

I think the main reason is the carrier wants their cut, and since BlackBerry isn't as big as Google they don't want to **** the carrier off.
    Plus they probably don't want to deal with the Hassel of returns or defects (defects go through carrier and then to BlackBerry right now)

Posted from my Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1443
    08-29-13 10:52 AM
    I am not sure how it works, but wouldn't their margin be more if they offered the phone direct? I read somewhere that the carrier actually pays the OEM near full price and make up the money plus profit in contract renewals. I mean what is BB's cost for a z10? $200? Here is a link to a crackberry article stating the total cost for a z10 is $154. So if they sell for, let's say $400 direct, they would make money, no?
    laketrout73 likes this.
    08-29-13 10:52 AM
    Why couldn't they afford it?
    I think the main reason is the carrier wants their cut, and since BlackBerry isn't as big as Google they don't want to **** the carrier off.
    Plus they probably don't want to deal with the Hassel of returns or defects (defects go through carrier and then to BlackBerry right now)

that what i thought. maybe since they have no bargaining chips, the carrier is able to bully them into not offering the phone direct for a good cost. actual cost for prodcution is about $154, according to crackberry Here's what the BlackBerry Z10 costs to make | CrackBerry.com
    08-29-13 10:53 AM
    I am not sure how it works, but wouldn't their margin be more if they offered the phone direct? I read somewhere that the carrier actually pays the OEM near full price and make up the money plus profit in contract renewals. I mean what is BB's cost for a z10? $200? Here is a link to a crackberry article stating the total cost for a z10 is $154. So if they sell for, let's say $400 direct, they would make money, no?
    The carriers. The carriers can't afford that I think. Mostly, carriers want full control over the OS, which is why US don't get 10.1 for so long although radio and core OS have been separated.

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    08-29-13 10:55 AM
    Just a correction: The GPe devices do not get direct updates from Google. The OS updates are coming from the OEM directly.

Posted via CB Forums iOS app
    08-29-13 11:07 AM
    The reason Google can afford to sell the phones the way they do is because they make money off the user through the Play Store, advertising on the phone apps, and information they are able to track and sell to third parties. They don't need to make a dime off the phone as they make it off the user.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-13 11:39 AM
    The reason Google can afford to sell the phones the way they do is because they make money off the user through the Play Store, advertising on the phone apps, and information they are able to track and sell to third parties. They don't need to make a dime off the phone as they make it off the user.

true. but i wonder why if the cost of the phone is 150 bucks, why wouldnt blackberry try and make some profit by selling the phone off contract for a decent price?

Posted via CB10
    08-29-13 12:28 PM
    In INDIA we buy phones like this only......totally Unlocked no carrier contracts,bloatware etc no carrier branding.....phone is directly from BlackBerry nd they r responsible for the defects,warranty nd all......but yeah then the cost of the phone rises to 43490 Rupees i.e. 650-700 dollars approx.......

Posted via CB 10 on my BlackBerry Z10
    08-29-13 01:20 PM
    1) Unlocked... my Verizon Z10 came that way.
    2) Bloatware - Verizon installed two apps - one I use pretty regularly to check my usage, the other does backups which I don't need and uninstalled in about 2 seconds. (they might have set my browser to use BING....)
    3) OS updates... The Google Play devices are still custom OEM version of Android (without the fancy overlays) and require the OEM to push out the updates WHEN and IF they want to. Only the Nexus is always "up to date".
    I do agree that BlackBerry pushing out an update and carriers taking two or three months to release them (if they even do) is hurting BlackBerry right now. BB10 is really still in a beta phase and needs much more frequent updates to fix problems and to add features than a more mature Android or iOS device.
    08-29-13 02:00 PM
    1) Unlocked... my Verizon Z10 came that way.
    2) Bloatware - Verizon installed two apps - one I use pretty regularly to check my usage, the other does backups which I don't need and uninstalled in about 2 seconds. (they might have set my browser to use BING....)
    3) OS updates... The Google Play devices are still custom OEM version of Android (without the fancy overlays) and require the OEM to push out the updates WHEN and IF they want to. Only the Nexus is always "up to date".
    I do agree that BlackBerry pushing out an update and carriers taking two or three months to release them (if they even do) is hurting BlackBerry right now. BB10 is really still in a beta phase and needs much more frequent updates to fix problems and to add features than a more mature Android or iOS device.
    regarding the OS updates. I see all these OS leaks being posted for BB10, and they contain some excellent improvements, but then I think how long it will take to get it officially on my AT&T phone...probably next year. If BB could just push these updates very frequently without the carrier it would be great (like NEXUS).
    08-29-13 02:25 PM
    I dream of the day that I can buy a phone directly from BlackBerry.

I know they're a company too, but I'd feel better about giving my money to them than my carrier, T-Mobile. I don't need my phone unlocked for any reason, but a new BlackBerry in the cool black BlackBerry box delivered straight to my door would be nice.
    sevoman likes this.
    08-29-13 02:33 PM
    This is actually not a half bad idea. I would actually consider picking up a gpe z10 for sure.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
    sevoman likes this.
    08-29-13 02:35 PM
    I own the closest thing to a BlackBerry "Nexus" or "Google Play" device and so far, there haven't been noticeable differences.

I'm talking about the Limited Edition BlackBerry Z10. It came directly from BlackBerry yet is treated no differently than a normal Z10.

BlackBerry had the perfect opportunity to make a device like the op is asking for and they haven't done anything with it. The LEZ10 has NEVER gotten an OTA update from BlackBerry. To update it, you have to use leaks or a SIM card and inserting a SIM instantly causes carrier branding and apps to appear.

Many developers thought or hoped the LEZ10 would be treated like a Nexus, but that didn't happen.

Just think, the LEZ10 would have been the perfect candidate for a trial run of a program like this. The fact that it didn't happen leads me to believe that BlackBerry isn't interested in building that type of device.
    sevoman likes this.
    08-29-13 02:44 PM
    I own the closest thing to a BlackBerry "Nexus" or "Google Play" device and so far, there haven't been noticeable differences.

I'm talking about the Limited Edition BlackBerry Z10. It came directly from BlackBerry yet is treated no differently than a normal Z10.

BlackBerry had the perfect opportunity to make a device like the op is asking for and they haven't done anything with it. The LEZ10 has NEVER gotten an OTA update from BlackBerry. To update it, you have to use leaks or a SIM card and inserting a SIM instantly causes carrier branding and apps to appear.

Many developers thought or hoped the LEZ10 would be treated like a Nexus, but that didn't happen.

Just think, the LEZ10 would have been the perfect candidate for a trial run of a program like this. The fact that it didn't happen leads me to believe that BlackBerry isn't interested in building that type of device.
    good point. i wonder why all these decisions where made? can things be that complicated? so many seemingly wrong or untimely decisions!
    08-29-13 03:13 PM
    Why couldn't they afford it? If anything they would probably make more selling unlocked phones themselves

So, like Frankiam said, they can't afford it.

I think it would be a great idea if every device was sold with that option.
    08-29-13 03:21 PM