I have several BlackBerry 10 devices including the Q10, Passport and Classic. The next few months to a year could possibly determine whether BlackBerry stays in the hardware business. I truly hope that it does. I started wondering after yesterday's earnings call what would happen to the keyboard patents IF BlackBerry decides to exit the hardware business. I can totally see BlackBerry licensing its software suite, but what about its great physical keyboards? We're not in the know and can't say with certainty, but do you think they would license the PKB or sell the patents? If so, do you think another smart phone manufacturer would be interested and actually produce a phone for the general consumer? If so, which company...Apple, Samsung???

Posted via CB10
    04-02-16 12:21 PM
    If BlackBerry were to license out their keyboard patents, I think we would see some great Android devices from Samsung and maybe some awesome accessories from a third-party company making add-ons for iPhones. Apple will never make an iPhone with a PKB, even if BlackBerry gave them access to the patents for free.
    04-02-16 12:39 PM
    I think if BlackBerry was to license or sell their Keyboard tech or patents It would definitely mean the end of BlackBerry Hardware for good.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-16 12:41 PM
    Samsung will either buy it or license it. Would be alot better than their add-on monstrosity they have for Galaxy.
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    04-02-16 12:45 PM
    I don't know. It's not like they have a patent preventing anyone from making a physical keyboard. I think if a manufacturer was truly interested in making one we'd see more than just add ons. Blackberry makes a good one but it's not like it's completely preventing someone else from making one altogether. By this logic Blackberry has the only possible keyboard that anyone would be interested in. I remember Nokia made some great ones with their E series phones, and so did Palm with their Treo line. It's just that no one has bothered making another one.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-02-16 12:54 PM