Also....not a matter of "easy peasy" when Android locks out runtimes as the rumours suggest. Additionally, it's not a matter of "easy peasy" but rather of choice. I *choose* not to spend my money on one platform to use apps of another. And I've got a feeling that many consumers will have the same view. For the faithful...it's an option. And a choice they willingly make. But to gain ground? If, as a brand new consumer, I buy a device, what possible reason would I have to buy one that would require me to load apps from another? Why would I buy a BlackBerry to load up with Android apps that are not optimised to run on a BlackBerry and which are not supported by devs instead of buying an Android device with on-my-God-uber-specs (for those who care about such things) and load up with Android apps optimised and supported for the device I'm using?
    For the faithful who wish to do so it's an option. Some prior users of BlackBerry, myself included, have said no thanks. For new consumers? I don't believe they would willingly buy one platform and use unoptimised and unsupported apps from another. That's just me. That's my impression. If there is a spike in number of devices sold when 10.3, the Passpot, and the Classic come out then I will be proven wrong. And I'll admit to being wrong. I've done it before, I'd do it again.
    shaleem likes this.
    08-19-14 08:12 AM
    Easy peasy for you. But for 98% of people, doing all this stuff is not "normal". It will be 3 times easier to just buy an Android phone or an iPhone.
    I am a 64 year old non-techie who has the ability to read and follow directions. I guess that means normal people can't read? Be careful about assuming what my skill set is, you will be sadly disappointed.

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    08-19-14 08:46 AM
    Also....not a matter of "easy peasy" when Android locks out runtimes as the rumours suggest. Additionally, it's not a matter of "easy peasy" but rather of choice. I *choose* not to spend my money on one platform to use apps of another. And I've got a feeling that many consumers will have the same view. For the faithful...it's an option. And a choice they willingly make. But to gain ground? If, as a brand new consumer, I buy a device, what possible reason would I have to buy one that would require me to load apps from another? Why would I buy a BlackBerry to load up with Android apps that are not optimised to run on a BlackBerry and which are not supported by devs instead of buying an Android device with on-my-God-uber-specs (for those who care about such things) and load up with Android apps optimised and supported for the device I'm using?
    For the faithful who wish to do so it's an option. Some prior users of BlackBerry, myself included, have said no thanks. For new consumers? I don't believe they would willingly buy one platform and use unoptimised and unsupported apps from another. That's just me. That's my impression. If there is a spike in number of devices sold when 10.3, the Passpot, and the Classic come out then I will be proven wrong. And I'll admit to being wrong. I've done it before, I'd do it again.
    Since Amazon and BlackBerry have entered into an agreement, why will this be a problem? Be careful in assuming the apps are unoptimized and unsupported. The ones I have downloaded (and I am not much of an app guy) all work fine. When they are updated, I can update them as well.

Like you I have been wrong before. I do not think that this time I will be the one eating crow. BlackBerry has already increased the number of devices shipped this last quarter over the previous quarter. This is fact, not opinion. The Passport and future BlackBerry devices will cause a continuing increase, in my opinion. Check back with you at the end of the next quarter to hear you say, "I was wrong.". I don't expect you to eat crow.

08-19-14 08:54 AM
    I tend to agree with you on the issue of loading Android apps on my BlackBerry. That is why I also use a Samsung Galaxy Note 3. Also, I like a bit of variety.
    08-19-14 09:08 AM
    Since Amazon and BlackBerry have entered into an agreement, why will this be a problem? Be careful in assuming the apps are unoptimized and unsupported. The ones I have downloaded (and I am not much of an app guy) all work fine. When they are updated, I can update them as well.

Like you I have been wrong before. I do not think that this time I will be the one eating crow. BlackBerry has already increased the number of devices shipped this last quarter over the previous quarter. This is fact, not opinion. The Passport and future BlackBerry devices will cause a continuing increase, in my opinion. Check back with you at the end of the next quarter to hear you say, "I was wrong.". I don't expect you to eat crow.

The future will take care of itself.

I downloaded the Amazon App Store to check for myself the apps I normally use. Of the ones I checked only My Fitness Pal and ironically Instagram worked. The rest were unusable or not available.

When I speak of support I mean app support from Dev. I have not read of one instance where Dev has in fact stated that they will support their Android app on a BlackBerry. If there is such a statement, by all means post it here. I will gladly dust off my crow pie recipe. Last I used it was when I said I would never buy another BlackBerry and found myself buying a Z10 and then a Q10. This is why I'm not making that assertion this time. If native apps come back I would buy another BlackBerry because I love the OS and the physical keyboard on my Q. If sales of new users spike, willing to buy a BlackBerry and load Android apps, then I will use my crow pie recipe again. You're mistaken in thinking otherwise.
    shaleem likes this.
    08-19-14 09:10 AM
    I tend to agree with you on the issue of loading Android apps on my BlackBerry. That is why I also use a Samsung Galaxy Note 3. Also, I like a bit of variety.
    Oh love....I love variety. Remember I'm the one with an iPhone, a Lumia 1520, and a future Note 4 to replace my current SGIII.
    shaleem likes this.
    08-19-14 09:11 AM
    Oh love....I love variety. Remember I'm the one with an iPhone, a Lumia 1520, and a future Note 4 to replace my current SGIII.
    A Passport would definitely add variety. I read that they had fixed the double typing issue for the Classic.
    08-19-14 10:17 AM
    A Passport would definitely add variety. I read that they had fixed the double typing issue for the Classic.
    Did you see the Carphone video? The Passport looks fantastic there.
    08-19-14 10:19 AM
    Where did you read that? Doesn't it appear over time?

Check Out TechCraze
    08-19-14 10:24 AM
    The agreement was... yes you can use it. That doesn't mean that Amazon or any developers are optimizing their apps to work on the BlackBerry runtime. We have to hope that BlackBerry is working to make the runtime a better experience - most likely it will take better hardware to improve the load times, but they should be able to improve the compatibility and issue some have with database driven apps.

Also the "problem" she mentioned is that Google is encouraging developers to use their Google Services to help stop app piracy and increase developer revenues by validating against Google Services. So the question is what will those same developers do when it comes to their apps in the Amazon Store?? Many of these guys aren't updating their apps very often already, will they just drop the "other" app stores? Or will Amazon have to come up with their own validation program in order to keep developers?

Things are changing for the Android platform - "open" is not as important as it once was. And BlackBerry is on the outside looking in..... maybe a year from now we have access to all apps and the all work, or maybe we are left out in the cold.

As for "shipping" more devices... really hoping the the EZPASS program is catching on and the BES12 will be the thing that drives BB10 device sales.

That said, the BB10 platform and catalog of devices is not shaping up to be something that I think many "consumers" are going to have any interest in.
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-19-14 10:48 AM
    The app situation has gotten pretty sad, now even the official Facebook and Twitter apps are having problems for the lack of updates.

So, I hope they release their new runtime quickly to run Android apps because BlackBerry ones are slowly going to hell xD

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 10:50 AM
    The problem is how well other platforms perform! If you want security and communication then get a blackberry but if speed and glitter is your thing then blackberry is not for you.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 11:20 AM
    The problem is how well other platforms perform! If you want security and communication then get a blackberry but if speed and glitter is your thing then blackberry is not for you.

Posted via CB10
    How about paying my insurance bill through my company's app which I got through my device's App Store and which is fully supported by the developer? Is that glitter?

Communication......how about having my car's Bluetooth connect to my device for incoming calls? My Q inexplicably drops nine out of ten calls via my car's BT which does not happen on my iPhone, Lumia, or SGIII.

Security - hasn't been compromised since 2009 on any of my devices. Can security be touted from a third party off shore app site? Know exactly the source and how those APKs were obtained that are loaded via Snap? Yup I know all about sandboxes, but not all breaches come through compromising the OS, they can be from an app that grabs your contacts which you didn't know was doing it because the app had a nice little phishing program which you approved.
    Troy Tiscareno and JeepBB like this.
    08-19-14 11:27 AM
    The agreement was... yes you can use it. That doesn't mean that Amazon or any developers are optimizing their apps to work on the BlackBerry runtime. We have to hope that BlackBerry is working to make the runtime a better experience - most likely it will take better hardware to improve the load times, but they should be able to improve the compatibility and issue some have with database driven apps.

Also the "problem" she mentioned is that Google is encouraging developers to use their Google Services to help stop app piracy and increase developer revenues by validating against Google Services. So the question is what will those same developers do when it comes to their apps in the Amazon Store?? Many of these guys aren't updating their apps very often already, will they just drop the "other" app stores? Or will Amazon have to come up with their own validation program in order to keep developers?

Things are changing for the Android platform - "open" is not as important as it once was. And BlackBerry is on the outside looking in..... maybe a year from now we have access to all apps and the all work, or maybe we are left out in the cold.

As for "shipping" more devices... really hoping the the EZPASS program is catching on and the BES12 will be the thing that drives BB10 device sales.

That said, the BB10 platform and catalog of devices is not shaping up to be something that I think many "consumers" are going to have any interest in.
    And we know shipping is not the same thing as actual sales to customers.
    08-19-14 11:32 AM
    This is the biggest concern, in my opinion. If the long-range strategy is to use Android app availability to grow the BB10 user base to the point where the platform starts to attract native app developers again, then Android app availability needs to be there, in a robust state, for years to come. This strategy can't possibly succeed in less than five years, in my opinion--if it can succeed at all.

If Google chokes off the generic Android app market by making it a distraction from Google Play, where the real action is, Amazon and other generic Android shops will become more of a shanty town and BB10 will still be in trouble. Many would already describe the Amazon app store as an Android ghetto.

It seems to me it "should" be relatively easy for generic versions of Google Play apps to be developed and supported, but that "should" doesn't really mean a thing. Amazon "should" have put their Audible app in BB World on day 1 of the BB10 launch, since it works flawlessly sideloaded. But they didn't, and still haven't.

On the one hand, the BlackBerry agreement with Amazon "should" make the Amazon app store somewhat more attractive to developers, by adding new users pretty much overnight (How many?). On the other hand, the BB10 Android runtime will present unique support issues: quirky problems with display, notifications, headless operation, etc. That could be pretty off-putting and could, I suppose, actually create an incentive for developers to remove apps from Amazon.

That would be bad.
    JeepBB and blee4 like this.
    08-19-14 12:15 PM

Communication......how about having my car's Bluetooth connect to my device for incoming calls? My Q inexplicably drops nine out of ten calls via my car's BT which does not happen on my iPhone, Lumia, or SGIII.

Security - hasn't been compromised since 2009 on any of my devices. Can security be touted from a third party off shore app site? Know exactly the source and how those APKs were obtained that are loaded via Snap? Yup I know all about sandboxes, but not all breaches come through compromising the OS, they can be from an app that grabs your contacts which you didn't know was doing it because the app had a nice little phishing program which you approved.
    My car Blue tooth world great with my Z10. I do not get dropped calls and it connects ever time I start my car. So communication isn't the issue. You had an issue, I don't. Therefore such anecdotal support for a platform really doesn't mean much.

If you load a bad app, then your Android device is more open to being compromised than my BlackBerry because of how the app runs on each of our devices. I bank with my phone, run Pay Pal and generally do everything you so with your phone. Well the only thing I don't do that you have done is run over your phone with a four wheeler.

when it comes to communication, great keyboard, fast browser (bb10 does have the fastest browser), BlackBerry just does it better. It may not fit your needs, and it may not ever be one of the top two in smartphone sales. It just needs to do what it does securely, dependably, accurately and quickly to stay viable (plus sell 10 million phones a year).

08-19-14 12:23 PM
    And we know shipping is not the same thing as actual sales to customers.
    Since the agreement with Foxconn the sales and shipments are much closer to equal than before the agreement.

08-19-14 12:25 PM
    How about paying my insurance bill through my company's app which I got through my device's App Store and which is fully supported by the developer? Is that glitter?

I think that on both your SGIII and soon to be Note 4 as well as your BB10 devices you need to be using an antivirus tool.

I do use Snap because it is easy BUT I also run an APK extractor app on my Nexus. The APK extractor is on Google Play and is available to your SG111. You just extract the APK on your SG111 using the extractor and email it from your SG111 to yourself on your BB10 device. By using this process you know the APK that you run on your SG111 is the SAME as the one that you just installed on your BB10 device.

I realize that some apps need Google Play to reach their full potential.

In effect by using an APK extractor ( Google supported) you have access to the Google store for your BB10 device. Granted, you do need to have access to an Android device - which you do.

http://www.wikihow.com/Extract-APK-F...-Android-Phone
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 08-19-14 at 01:35 PM.
    08-19-14 01:04 PM

when it comes to communication, great keyboard, fast browser (bb10 does have the fastest browser), BlackBerry just does it better.

Depending on one's needs, it may do it better. For example, the keyboard and browser could be improved upon.
    08-19-14 01:08 PM
    Depending on one's needs, it may do it better. For example, the keyboard and browser could be improved upon.
    I find that odd since the virtual keyboard gets raves from tech bloggers and the browser has been rated faster than the other phones on the market. Having used Android and iPhone, this keyboard beats them for speed and accuracy.

08-19-14 03:21 PM
    I find that odd since the virtual keyboard gets raves from tech bloggers and the browser has been rated faster than the other phones on the market. Having used Android and iPhone, this keyboard beats them for speed and accuracy.

Depends on the user.

I rave about the keyboard, but for folks who prefer swiping and using the same custom dictionary across devices, the BBRY keyboard may not be suitable.

Similar issues with the browser. The lack of cloud functionality might obscure the speed gains for a good number of people.
    08-19-14 03:33 PM
    Since the agreement with Foxconn the sales and shipments are much closer to equal than before the agreement.

Sorry but Foxconn has nothing to do with the Z10, Z10, Q5, Z30, and the 9900.... Z3 is all they are dealing with, and it seems they are being VERY conservative as their have been "sell outs" in a couple of markets, but only with 25K - 30K being shipped. That doesn't speak very well of Foxconn expecting much in sales.

Need to really compare the same figure each quarter

1Q 2015 2.6 million "sold through" 1.6 million recognized revenue on
    4Q 2014 3.4 million "sold through" 1.3 million recognized revenue on
    3Q 2014 4.3 million "sold through" 1.9 million recognized revenue on

There is a difference in shipping or selling more devices, and being able to recognize revenue on more of your product sales.... The fact that "sold through" is still declining is an indicator that maybe they didn't really ship more devices. Might be that as the Z10 reached a year old and warranties for some devices ran out they could adjust some funds set aside to cover these.... lots of shifting around that can be done that doesn't equal more people buying devices.
    08-19-14 03:38 PM
    Sorry but Foxconn has nothing to do with the Z10, Z10, Q5, Z30, and the 9900.... Z3 is all they are dealing with, and it seems they are being VERY conservative as their have been "sell outs" in a couple of markets, but only with 25K - 30K being shipped. That doesn't speak very well of Foxconn expecting much in sales.

Need to really compare the same figure each quarter

1Q 2015 2.6 million "sold through" 1.6 million recognized revenue on
    4Q 2014 3.4 million "sold through" 1.3 million recognized revenue on
    3Q 2014 4.3 million "sold through" 1.9 million recognized revenue on

There is a difference in shipping or selling more devices, and being able to recognize revenue on more of your product sales.... The fact that "sold through" is still declining is an indicator that maybe they didn't really ship more devices. Might be that as the Z10 reached a year old and warranties for some devices ran out they could adjust some funds set aside to cover these.... lots of shifting around that can be done that doesn't equal more people buying devices.
    The issue with Foxconn is that they are not going to overproduce a phone that isn't selling. The Z3 has sold very well and the latest shipped figures indicate an uptick on the uptake...1.5 million shipped this quarter compared to 1.3 million shipped the last quarter. That allows BlackBerry to at least hold solid in its present position of market share even with the smartphone sales increasing. To increase shipment means that there has been an increase in purchasing. We will know for sure at the next quarter report.

In order for BlackBerry to remain in smartphones, they will have to sell 10 million a year. As long as they initially do that, then they can remain profitable in the mobile handset department. I will be a happy camper since they are producing a great phone with many innovative features that enable me to get done what I need to do.
    08-19-14 04:04 PM
    My car Blue tooth world great with my Z10. I do not get dropped calls and it connects ever time I start my car. So communication isn't the issue. You had an issue, I don't. Therefore such anecdotal support for a platform really doesn't mean much.

If you load a bad app, then your Android device is more open to being compromised than my BlackBerry because of how the app runs on each of our devices. I bank with my phone, run Pay Pal and generally do everything you so with your phone. Well the only thing I don't do that you have done is run over your phone with a four wheeler.

when it comes to communication, great keyboard, fast browser (bb10 does have the fastest browser), BlackBerry just does it better. It may not fit your needs, and it may not ever be one of the top two in smartphone sales. It just needs to do what it does securely, dependably, accurately and quickly to stay viable (plus sell 10 million phones a year).

Except that I don't get Android apps from third party sites and I stay very conservative in the developers I choose aside from reading the number of downloads, reviews, and the use of AVG and Norton. I've never strayed from the fact that BlackBerry Is the safest OS, and my intent was always to keep vulnerabilities away from my devices. Third party sites introduce vulnerabilities and I was not willing to risk that. Had I had a reasonable expectation that development of native apps would keep its priority I would not have retired my device. The Amazon store, which did not impress me in the least because it did not have the apps I use, was a final admission that Android apps were the way forward. And I won't buy one platform and put dev unsupported from another. For those who wish to do so, enjoy in good health.

You also seem to believe that I don't like my Q10. Which is incorrect. I LOVE my Q. I was meh about my Z and hated the reboots and battery life on it but I love my Q. Which is why I won't sell it. Because if native apps begin to appear I will have something to use them on. As far as my BT, glad yours works. Add I said mine drops nine out of ten incoming calls.

And it's hilarious that you remember me going over my Torch with an ATV. I didn't think anyone remembered that. That was painful.

It's so about choices. I wish to the high Heavens I could have my native apps so that I could get myself a Passport. But it doesn't look like that's likely to happen. And that's where I drew the line. Wish it were different. I didn't change the road map, BlackBerry did. Again, it's my personal choice. Others may do as they wish in good health. Time will tell if consumers will embrace buying a phone from one platform and Dev unsupported an unoptimised apps from another. If Android Devs come onboard and support their Android apps on BlackBerrry that would be huge.
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 08-20-14 at 05:16 AM.
    blee4 likes this.
    08-20-14 04:56 AM
    I think that on both your SGIII and soon to be Note 4 as well as your BB10 devices you need to be using an antivirus tool.

I do use Snap because it is easy BUT I also run an APK extractor app on my Nexus. The APK extractor is on Google Play and is available to your SG111. You just extract the APK on your SG111 using the extractor and email it from your SG111 to yourself on your BB10 device. By using this process you know the APK that you run on your SG111 is the SAME as the one that you just installed on your BB10 device.

I realize that some apps need Google Play to reach their full potential.

In effect by using an APK extractor ( Google supported) you have access to the Google store for your BB10 device. Granted, you do need to have access to an Android device - which you do.

http://www.wikihow.com/Extract-APK-F...-Android-Phone

Oh I already run antivirus on my Android devices.

And thank you but no I won't be using APKs. My Q is retired for the foreseeable future, waiting in case native apps return.
    08-20-14 05:00 AM
212 ... 6789