Microsoft has a huge app gap compared to BlackBerry. Some people here are to funny.

Posted via CB10
    Really? How was I able to find my bank apps, Geico, Instagram, Netflix all native in the Microsoft store and not in BBW????

Some people are too funny when defending the indefensible.
    08-15-14 07:43 AM
    Those are triffids. Beware.
    Well the there's that.....
    08-15-14 07:43 AM
    Well the there's that.....
    Watch out for meteor showers as well by the way.
    08-15-14 07:45 AM
    What app issue?

Native banking apps, native transportation, native navigation, native insurance, native social apps....everything I could not find in BBW, supported by the platform and by the developer. No need to rely on another platform for any of the apps I use.

See how that goes?
    Before there was apps how did you survive? Just curious. Whatever happened to using the web browser (like most of us do on our desktops) to do your banking, insurance etc? I am in the real estate industry here in Canada and I rely heavily on my web browser to get things done. My BlackBerry gets all my crucial workloads done efficiently and effectively, so the availability of apps whether native or android or apple are rather inconsequential to my scheme of things.
    Occasionally when I need larger screen real estate for games or whatever, I use my iPad. Once I get my Passport, my use of the iPad will most certainly diminish.
    Finally, I respect that "to each their own" and am glad you are happy with your choice.
    08-15-14 10:30 AM
    I'm kinda upset how BlackBerry apps says FREE always needs to be PRO so you will have full access or should I say ACCESS to that app. It's stupid that it's offered free but you can't even use it with limitations coz it has EXPIRATION.. I know it's limited but not like you barely got access to it. Apps like photo collage and other photo editing for example.

I know some will suggest to use amazon. Yeah I could. But why the heck I should be using Amazon or any other downloader if BlackBerry has its own apps? BlackBerry should give a good offer to every app even for free if they wanted to stand to have their own BlackBerry World.

Disappointing..

Posted via CB10
    I'm developer of one of those free apps. Free apps on iOS/Android are supported by ads, but BB doesn't have a good Advertising Service for developers to monetize their free apps. If BB improved monetizing methods for developers, the number of free apps would increase. I'm actually working an updated version of my free app to remove the expiration timer.
    anon8656116 and app_Developer like this.
    08-15-14 10:34 AM
    Before there was apps how did you survive? Just curious. Whatever happened to using the web browser (like most of us do on our desktops) to do your banking, insurance etc?
    Before there were cars...

I get your point, but the banking app app thing in particular has been talked about to death. Why would I use the browser when I can deposit checks on the go via dedicated app?

I think we forget that all the platforms have great browsers. Apps give extra functionality that attract more people... people BBRY desperately needs.
    08-15-14 10:38 AM
    Before there was apps how did you survive? Just curious. Whatever happened to using the web browser (like most of us do on our desktops) to do your banking, insurance etc? I am in the real estate industry here in Canada and I rely heavily on my web browser to get things done. My BlackBerry gets all my crucial workloads done efficiently and effectively, so the availability of apps whether native or android or apple are rather inconsequential to my scheme of things.

Occasionally when I need larger screen real estate for games or whatever, I use my iPad. Once I get my Passport, my use of the iPad will most certainly diminish.

Finally, I respect that "to each their own" and am glad you are happy with your choice.

Before penicillin we relied on plants and some survived. Before electricity we had candles and humanity prospered. Before cars we rode horses and we got to places where we need to be. Before airplanes we got on ships to cross the oceans and most were successful to include the so called discovery of the Americas. Before apps we used browsers. When faced with apps Mike and Jim said just use the browser. The result of the latter approach sent BlackBerry users to a competitor to load instagram and angry birds and candy crush.

Everything evolves or perishes.

Consumers want apps. Even if it means buying one platform and loading up on apps from another.

For those who are happy with that approach, best wishes. It doesn't work for me.
    08-15-14 10:39 AM
    I'm developer of one of those free apps. Free apps on iOS/Android are supported by ads, but BB doesn't have a good Advertising Service for developers to monetize their free apps. If BB improved monetizing methods for developers, the number of free apps would increase. I'm actually working an updated version of my free app to remove the expiration timer.
    Well personally, I far prefer the time limited free to trial app - as long as it is explicitly stated that's what it is (some say free - then aren't). I don't mind in the least paying for a good app, and getting the chance to try it out and then buy it if it's good....what's not to like?
    08-15-14 10:41 AM
    Really? How was I able to find my bank apps, Geico, Instagram, Netflix all native in the Microsoft store and not in BBW????

Some people are too funny when defending the indefensible.
    Well I actually couldn't find the Geico app on Windows nor the app that controls my furnace remotely. I take your point though - If you need apps I would go iOS first, Android second and Windows third. The only reason That I can use a BlackBerry is that I have a Tablet(s) and I have sideloaded Snap. Amazon is not a solution. If I needed a physical keyboard then BlackBerry is my only choice. I would definitely consider a Passport running a full android OS. I love BB10 but the lack of Apps is a showstopper ( in North America).
    08-15-14 12:52 PM
    Well I actually couldn't find the Geico app on Windows nor the app that controls my furnace remotely. I take your point though - If you need apps I would go iOS first, Android second and Windows third. The only reason That I can use a BlackBerry is that I have a Tablet(s) and I have sideloaded Snap. Amazon is not a solution. If I needed a physical keyboard then BlackBerry is my only choice. I would definitely consider a Passport running a full android OS. I love BB10 but the lack of Apps is a showstopper ( in North America).
    It's there! Hang on.

BB_Jay likes this.
    08-15-14 12:56 PM
    I hope you and other developers will continue to offer ad-free pro versions in addition to ad-supported free versions. I'll pay for the pro version every time.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    pantlesspenguin, shaleem and TGR1 like this.
    08-15-14 01:01 PM
    I stand corrected.

Nokia makes a really nice phone too. Perhaps they should make a physical keyboard phone. A portrait slider please.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-14 01:54 PM
    They'd fail. Nothing beats a BlackBerry keyboard...... However I am very pleasantly surprised by this Lumia. Been wanting to try WP for a very long time. This is NICE.
    Sent from my SUPER HOT Nokia Lumia 1520 via Tapatalk
    Flatman and BB_Jay like this.
    08-15-14 02:15 PM
    Before penicillin we relied on plants and some survived. Before electricity we had candles and humanity prospered. Before cars we rode horses and we got to places where we need to be. Before airplanes we got on ships to cross the oceans and most were successful to include the so called discovery of the Americas. Before apps we used browsers. When faced with apps Mike and Jim said just use the browser. The result of the latter approach sent BlackBerry users to a competitor to load instagram and angry birds and candy crush.

Everything evolves or perishes.

Consumers want apps. Even if it means buying one platform and loading up on apps from another.

For those who are happy with that approach, best wishes. It doesn't work for me.
    The Amish and Mennonites still ride horse and buggies and are doing just fine. BlackBerry will do just fine because not everyone feels they must have instagram, angry birds or candy crush on their phone or else.
    Anyone who is still paying mind to what's happening to BlackBerry but professes to be through with it, is only kidding themselves. Just curious, what is the vested interest in BlackBerry?
    08-15-14 02:29 PM
    The Amish and Mennonites still ride horse and buggies and are doing just fine. BlackBerry will do just fine because not everyone feels they must have instagram, angry birds or candy crush on their phone or else.
    Anyone who is still paying mind to what's happening to BlackBerry but professes to be through with it, is only kidding themselves. Just curious, what is the vested interest in BlackBerry?

Mine? I want to keep up in what they're doing so that if they bring the native apps I want I can dust off my Q10. I also bought shares when the stock was in the 20s and I hope to someday get my money back.

Also what I'm looking for are banking apps and insurance apps, native. I haven't got candy crush or angry birds. I do have Instagram and FB and Twitter and Vimeo etc. Now, on all of my devices. If you don't use them that's cool. I do. And it appears that large numbers also use them. on devices other than BlackBerry and on Blackberry via third party stores and alternative methods to which I don't ascribe.

Anyone who uses a smartphone is likely not ascribing to the lifestyle of the Amish or the Mennonites. And I'm Anglican (Episcopalian in this side of the pond) so I'm very far removed from that religion and lifestyle. Therefore the association is literally foreign to me.
    bbq10l likes this.
    08-15-14 02:35 PM
    Mine? I want to keep up in what they're doing so that if they bring the native apps I want I can dust off my Q10. I also bought shares when the stock was in the 20s and I hope to someday get my money back.

Also what I'm looking for are banking apps and insurance apps, native. I haven't got candy crush or angry birds. I do have Instagram and FB and Twitter and Vimeo etc. Now, on all of my devices. If you don't use them that's cool. I do. And it appears that large numbers also use them. on devices other than BlackBerry and on Blackberry via third party stores and alternative methods to which I don't ascribe.

Anyone who uses a smartphone is likely not ascribing to the lifestyle of the Amish or the Mennonites. And I'm Anglican (Episcopalian in this side of the pond) so I'm very far removed from that religion and lifestyle. Therefore the association is literally foreign to me.
    The Amish and Mennonites reference was in response to your "Everything evolves or perishes". Not everything perishes when they don't evolve; there are always exceptions to the rules. Anyway, "Live and lets live".
    08-15-14 03:05 PM
    What I cannot understand is why people are complaining so much about the app gap and not simply move to iOS or Android, if they are not finding the right apps for them on a BlackBerry. Why feel miserable and not take the phone suited for your needs? Nobody is forcing anyone to keep using a BlackBerry.

I have a Z10 because I like it. If I didn't like it I would have bought other phone.
    This is a BB owner that gets it right here. Well stated.
    08-15-14 03:08 PM
    No. I've used plenty of BlackBerry phones in my day. When phones became more than just a way to place calls emails and text, BlackBerry devices became unattractive. There is no going back.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Yep, basically this.
    08-15-14 03:12 PM
    Anyone who is still paying mind to what's happening to BlackBerry but professes to be through with it, is only kidding themselves.
    That argument would be persuasive if BlackBerry’s phones were at least competitively priced in that respect. But they aren’t. Granted, I paid only €200 for my Z10 in January, but that certainly wasn’t the price it had when it was first released. From a value-for-money standpoint, you can’t deny that iOS and Android devices bring a lot of additional value precisely because of the apps. The slightest chance that you might come to rely on one specific app alone could be a tipping point. It makes those phones simply more appealing, even if you are personally not that interested in apps. From my own perspective, I used to think that I could live with the Z10 as my main phone and use Android apps as a fallback. But some Android apps, including a banking app and a public transportation app, either don’t work at all or are not as much of a pleasure to use. I still keep my iPhone around for some exclusive apps, but I’d rather just keep it in a drawer.

Another thing I noticed is that hardware manufacturers become increasingly interested in apps as well. They call it the ‘Internet of things’. All other major developers – Apple, Google and Microsoft – are making a move to support home appliances, cars, wearables, health services and other things. BlackBerry is almost doing nothing in that area. Apps will become more crucial to that end, it goes far beyond the capabilities of a web browser.
    08-15-14 03:17 PM
    It seems to me the bottom line is that if you NEED a physical keyboard in a "modern smartphone" then buy a BlackBerry. BB10 is great but not enough to persuade me to buy another all touch BlackBerry.
    08-15-14 03:23 PM
    That argument would be persuasive if BlackBerry�s phones were at least competitively priced in that respect. But they aren�t. Granted, I paid only �200 for my Z10 in January, but that certainly wasn�t the price it had when it was first released. From a value-for-money standpoint, you can�t deny that iOS and Android devices bring a lot of additional value precisely because of the apps. The slightest chance that you might come to rely on one specific app alone could be a tipping point. It makes those phones simply more appealing, even if you are personally not that interested in apps. From my own perspective, I used to think that I could live with the Z10 as my main phone and use Android apps as a fallback. But some Android apps, including a banking app and a public transportation app, either don�t work at all or are not as much of a pleasure to use. I still keep my iPhone around for some exclusive apps, but I�d rather just keep it in a drawer.

Another thing I noticed is that hardware manufacturers become increasingly interested in apps as well. They call it the �Internet of things�. All other major developers � Apple, Google and Microsoft � are making a move to support home appliances, cars, wearables, health services and other things. BlackBerry is almost doing nothing in that area . Apps will become more crucial to that end, it goes far beyond the capabilities of a web browser.
    Err bruh? You heard of QNX?

Check Out TechCraze
    08-15-14 03:46 PM
    My current full-time job is high-end audio/video/home automation. These customers absolutely want to be able to access and control their devices, at home or remotely, from their phone, tablet, or PC/laptop 24/7/365. There are a dozen apps that we use daily that most people here have never heard of, but which these folks used dozens of times a day. Those apps are available on iOS and Android, but none are available on BB. We tried several of the key ones on a Z10 for one customer, but 3 out of the 4 did not work. He now carries a Note 3.

The point is: it isn't just the "big" apps like Instagram or SnapChat, though those are obviously a huge deal for a lot of people. But Apple and Google also have a very "long tail" with their app ecosystems, with tens or hundreds of thousands of specialty apps that are irrelevant to most but key to specific groups of people. People in all kinds of professions are rapidly replacing a lot of expensive, specialized tools that used to be the norm in their industries with smartphone apps, which allows them to be much more mobile and efficient, and more of these specialized apps are created every day for different industries.

Many CB folks love to talk about "fart apps" to try to downplay the importance of apps, but make no mistake: for the vast majority of smartphone buyers, apps are extremely important, and for each individual person, their list of "must have" apps is different, so a large app ecosystem is very important. A very big reason BB is in the situation it is in is because Mike vastly underestimated the importance of apps.
    shaleem, tinochiko, TGR1 and 8 others like this.
    08-15-14 03:50 PM
    In this day and age, there are more reasons than one to carry two platforms, may it be cellular devices or tablets.

OP I suggest you carry a BlackBerry 10 device and a tablet of other platform to satisfy your business needs.

Sent from 2AD743B7 via Tapatalk Pro
    johnny_bravo72 and wincyUt like this.
    08-15-14 04:00 PM
    That argument would be persuasive if BlackBerry�s phones were at least competitively priced in that respect. But they aren�t. Granted, I paid only �200 for my Z10 in January, but that certainly wasn�t the price it had when it was first released. From a value-for-money standpoint, you can�t deny that iOS and Android devices bring a lot of additional value precisely because of the apps. The slightest chance that you might come to rely on one specific app alone could be a tipping point. It makes those phones simply more appealing, even if you are personally not that interested in apps. From my own perspective, I used to think that I could live with the Z10 as my main phone and use Android apps as a fallback. But some Android apps, including a banking app and a public transportation app, either don�t work at all or are not as much of a pleasure to use. I still keep my iPhone around for some exclusive apps, but I�d rather just keep it in a drawer.

Another thing I noticed is that hardware manufacturers become increasingly interested in apps as well. They call it the �Internet of things�. All other major developers � Apple, Google and Microsoft � are making a move to support home appliances, cars, wearables, health services and other things. BlackBerry is almost doing nothing in that area. Apps will become more crucial to that end, it goes far beyond the capabilities of a web browser.
    Great points.
    08-15-14 04:10 PM
    In this day and age, there are more reasons than one to carry two platforms, may it be cellular devices or tablets.
    In fact, the vast majority disagree with you: they want to be able to do everything off of a single device, and/or to be able to do everything on every/any device they happen to have.

Almost no one wants to be forced to carry two devices just to get things done.
    08-15-14 04:19 PM
212 ... 23456 ...