I was reading that HTML5 apps were becoming the second most popular platform in emerging countries . There is even HTML5 app stores like Appsfuel. Does anyone know how this store works and the app shows up and is used ? How will HTML5 apps affect BlackBerry ?
    Open BlackBerry browser.. Html5.grooveshark.com

Whalaa

Check Out TechCraze
    notafanboy likes this.
    08-14-14 12:53 PM
    Had BB spent the last 4 years making a secured version of Android instead of investing literally more than a billion dollars in developing on QNX, BB would have the whole Play Store ecosystem available to it and would have saved a huge amount of money in the process (all the money they spend to promote and develop their own ecosystem). Of course, there are people who will argue that QNX is better, and I'm not disagreeing - for BB's purposes (i.e., security), it probably is better. But being better isn't likely to save BB's handset business - that's likely to end by 2016, because of a lack of sales that is a direct result of the lack of an ecosystem for BB10. Mike and Jim (mostly Mike) arrogantly assumed that BB could build a rival ecosystem that BB could profit off of, even though they were many years late to the game and had much less in the way of resources compared to Apple, Google, and Microsoft. Clearly, that was a poor assumption, and BB is still paying dearly for that mistake.
    Sorry, if BlackBerry stayed with Android and created a more secured version of it. It would just create another "fork" in the code and become what Amazon is right now. They have NO choice but to create a new eco system or become what Samsung/HTC is.
    08-14-14 01:34 PM
    I chose door #3 - a BlackBerry phone and a Windows tablet. Between the two of them, I have all the apps I need. If Windows didn't have the apps I was missing, I would have bought an iPad mini. Why is this such an insurmountable obstacle for so many people?

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. We have BlackBerry phones and an Android tablet . Although the tablet is getting less usage with each OS update.

My Z10 - an extension of me
    08-14-14 01:52 PM
    Sorry, if BlackBerry stayed with Android and created a more secured version of it. It would just create another "fork" in the code and become what Amazon is right now. They have NO choice but to create a new eco system or become what Samsung/HTC is.
    I totally agree with you. I think that if BlackBerry went with Android it would have been in a much more dire situation than it is today. My reason is because ;

1. To the community who knows, Blackberry would have just been another Android phone. There would have been no differentiation with another Samsung or HTC or Xiaomi, etc...

2. There would be no unique selling points for BlackBerry

3. For the community who is not in the know about the latest developments of mobile devices or BlackBerry, there is no difference. To them BlackBerry is still dead & gone, closed down or Bankrupt. So they will still not buy the phone and.

If BlackBerry went the Android fork, the only problem I believe that they would have solved is just the app problem. There will still be nobody buying the phone.

Posted via CB10
    KingOfQwerty and Flatman like this.
    08-14-14 04:56 PM
    Ditto here. I would love some banking,taxi and public transport appps. In Australia I think there are only 4 BB phones left . I can't see local apps being developed.
    VERY frustrating and has been mentioned in these forums for years........ the only downside to BB
    08-14-14 05:32 PM
    What I cannot understand is why people are complaining so much about the app gap and not simply move to iOS or Android, if they are not finding the right apps for them on a BlackBerry. Why feel miserable and not take the phone suited for your needs? Nobody is forcing anyone to keep using a BlackBerry.

I have a Z10 because I like it. If I didn't like it I would have bought other phone.
    So true...

Sent from my Z 30
    08-14-14 08:09 PM
    Agreed. We have BlackBerry phones and an Android tablet . Although the tablet is getting less usage with each OS update.

My Z10 - an extension of me
    Your solution only works at home.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-14 08:13 PM
    I totally agree with you. I think that if BlackBerry went with Android it would have been in a much more dire situation than it is today. My reason is because ;

1. To the community who knows, Blackberry would have just been another Android phone. There would have been no differentiation with another Samsung or HTC or Xiaomi, etc...

If BB had decided to build off of Android, Crackberry users would be shouting "The BEST Android on the market!" and "The ONLY secure Android!" and similar slogans. That would have been the main differentiation. And while I believe that the average consumer doesn't care that much about security, there are plenty of individuals who DO care, and would own a BB device for that reason, but don't because they can't get the apps they need.

3. For the community who is not in the know about the latest developments of mobile devices or BlackBerry, there is no difference. To them BlackBerry is still dead & gone, closed down or Bankrupt. So they will still not buy the phone and.
    Yes, but the whole history of BB would be different. BB likely would have been able to have new Android-based handsets out in 2011 or earlier, and there would have never been an app gap. A huge number of existing consumer BB fans would have happily upgraded to the new Android-based BB phones, and the worst of BB's bad reputation likely would never have happened. BB would also be much better off financially, so there would have been no need for the "For Sale" sign, which really hurt BB's image.

If BlackBerry went the Android fork, the only problem I believe that they would have solved is just the app problem. There will still be nobody buying the phone.
    I think you're greatly underestimating the importance of the ecosystem (which includes, but is more than, just apps) to most people, and how greatly that impacts BB sales. If that problem was truly solved (i.e., full access to Google Play and Google Services), I'm sure BB's sales would at the very least be comparable to LG's or Sony's, both of whom are making a profit off of their handsets. So, the difference would be pretty substantial.

The hard truth is that the QNX path simply isn't/wasn't successful, and isn't likely to be successful. I'm not arguing that BB10 is bad - it isn't. I'm not arguing that it isn't more secure - I believe it is. To some folks (enterprises especially), it is the better product for their needs. But there don't seem to be enough of those people to make BB10 profitable, and BB isn't a charity - it can't afford to sustain a division that runs at a loss, even if the product is "superior" in many ways.

Like that old saying goes: If it doesn't make dollars, it doesn't make sense.
    08-14-14 08:18 PM

Posted via CB10
    Samsung etc do not make a great physical keyboard phone. Personally, I like my BB10/ forked Android Z10 more than my iPad or Nexus 7.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-14 08:21 PM
    same article, different day...

BlackBerry phones and the app issue-0751bb1851837a91503afb319686949e.jpg
    wincyUt likes this.
    08-14-14 08:36 PM
    If BB had decided to build off of Android, Crackberry users would be shouting "The BEST Android on the market!" and "The ONLY secure Android!" and similar slogans. That would have been the main differentiation. And while I believe that the average consumer doesn't care that much about security, there are plenty of individuals who DO care, and would own a BB device for that reason, but don't because they can't get the apps they need.

Yes, but the whole history of BB would be different. BB likely would have been able to have new Android-based handsets out in 2011 or earlier, and there would have never been an app gap. A huge number of existing consumer BB fans would have happily upgraded to the new Android-based BB phones, and the worst of BB's bad reputation likely would never have happened. BB would also be much better off financially, so there would have been no need for the "For Sale" sign, which really hurt BB's image.

I think you're greatly underestimating the importance of the ecosystem (which includes, but is more than, just apps) to most people, and how greatly that impacts BB sales. If that problem was truly solved (i.e., full access to Google Play and Google Services), I'm sure BB's sales would at the very least be comparable to LG's or Sony's, both of whom are making a profit off of their handsets. So, the difference would be pretty substantial.

The hard truth is that the QNX path simply isn't/wasn't successful, and isn't likely to be successful. I'm not arguing that BB10 is bad - it isn't. I'm not arguing that it isn't more secure - I believe it is. To some folks (enterprises especially), it is the better product for their needs. But there don't seem to be enough of those people to make BB10 profitable, and BB isn't a charity - it can't afford to sustain a division that runs at a loss, even if the product is "superior" in many ways.

Like that old saying goes: If it doesn't make dollars, it doesn't make sense.
    Sorry Troy, I have to disagree with you on this. Most people will buy a phone based on what is recommended by their friends & relatives, and in this case BlackBerry is always the Not recommended phone. Reason? They have closed down.

Hardly anyone buy a phone based on the app availability. So I feel that the most urgent of Blackberry's problem is not the app situation but more of their reputation & marketing. In view of this, Android fork does not really solve any problems other than the app gap.

Posted via CB10
    KingOfQwerty likes this.
    08-14-14 09:25 PM
    Sorry Troy, I have to disagree with you on this. Most people will buy a phone based on what is recommended by their friends & relatives, and in this case BlackBerry is always the Not recommended phone. Reason? They have closed down.

Hardly anyone buy a phone based on the app availability. So I feel that the most urgent of Blackberry's problem is not the app situation but more of their reputation & marketing. In view of this, Android fork does not really solve any problems other than the app gap.

Posted via CB10
    I believe that if ecosystem is not 100% of the reason why folks pick platforms, it's at least 99% of the reason. That's how important the entire ecosystem (not just apps) is.

I also hold that the biggest reason Android and iOS are ahead is mostly because of their superior ecosystems. There are other factors obviously, but nothing beats word of mouth and the "available for iPhone and Android" ads.
    JeepBB, propeller10 and Shadowyugi like this.
    08-14-14 09:46 PM
    I agree with Troy but I will point out that if BlackBerry made better cheaper phones they might make inroads in emerging country markets and in the unlocked and prepaid markets.

Posted via CB10
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    08-14-14 10:32 PM
    The dream is over. Apps/ecosystem cannot be underestimated. I see many people here moving to android/ios on their next upgrade. Having 2 devices is such a major pain in the...

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-14-14 10:34 PM
    What app problem? Wtf? I really don't get it. You get all but the Google services apps with BlackBerry 10, which are only a few, and can't we still make it work by removing it or something? Plus, there are a lot of amazing and better alternatives to the Google services. Not a big deal.

Posted via CB10
    Banco likes this.
    08-14-14 10:41 PM
    Plus, there are a lot of amazing and better alternatives to the Google services. Not a big deal.
    Like?
    08-14-14 10:51 PM
    What are the Google services that some people seem to complain about when is not available? Calendar? Come on, so many calendar apps out there. Maps, same thing. Translator, same thing. Youtube, same, although you have to pay to sign in on BlackBerry 10, unless there's a youtube client that doesn't charge you. Cloud storage, lots of options. Gmail, same thing. Anything else?

Posted via CB10
    notafanboy, pystha and Loc22 like this.
    08-14-14 10:58 PM
    Ditto here. I would love some banking,taxi and public transport appps. In Australia I think there are only 4 BB phones left . I can't see local apps being developed.
    VERY frustrating and has been mentioned in these forums for years........ the only downside to BB
    Some native banking apps, and you could use android bank apps. I'm sure taxi android apps work. I actually downloaded and used Uber. Public transport, I use android apps. Not a big deal.

Posted via CB10
    notafanboy likes this.
    08-14-14 11:00 PM
    Plus windows phone has an app issue yet they're selling good.

Posted via CB10
    notafanboy likes this.
    08-14-14 11:02 PM
    I don't know why Blackberry is going the way its going now! Its killing the potential of having quality native BB10 apps which all BB10 users would love to use. I'm just
    08-14-14 11:04 PM
    I don't know why Blackberry is going the way its going now! Its killing the potential of having quality native BB10 apps which all BB10 users would love to use. I'm just
    I see your point, but I think BBRY almost had to do this. It doesn't have, say, MSFT's war chest that could afford it the opportunity to be patient.
    khoanguyen2010 and Shadowyugi like this.
    08-14-14 11:08 PM
    I'm kinda upset how BlackBerry apps says FREE always needs to be PRO so you will have full access or should I say ACCESS to that app. It's stupid that it's offered free but you can't even use it with limitations coz it has EXPIRATION.. I know it's limited but not like you barely got access to it. Apps like photo collage and other photo editing for example.

I know some will suggest to use amazon. Yeah I could. But why the heck I should be using Amazon or any other downloader if BlackBerry has its own apps? BlackBerry should give a good offer to every app even for free if they wanted to stand to have their own BlackBerry World.

Disappointing..

Posted via CB10
    08-15-14 04:32 AM
    Basically if you have it Black, there is no going back.

Most people don't see it that way. They've not had it black before. After you've used a BlackBerry, you'll find it really frustrating to go back to iOS or Android.

However you'll need to settle with the lack of Apps problem with your Blackberry. I see that there are plenty of alternatives but sometimes there aren't any because you need to use some proprietary apps & the company producing these apps think that BlackBerry has already closed down so they are not willing to support them.

Posted via CB10

Life isn't a slogan or a cliche. I had BlackBerry devices and the lack of native apps coupled with the direction of relying on Android apps were the reasons I moved away from BlackBerry. I've still got my phone and I keep myself informed in case anything changes.

So.....it is possible to find a platform that suits you better. It is freeing.
    dragon77 likes this.
    08-15-14 05:12 AM
    If people would simply do a bit of research before they commit to a platform.... there would be no app issue.... if you simply list the top 10 apps you use or want and half are not avaialble... why go to that platform..... go to the one that has it.,... It is not that BB has a reputation for abundance apps... so why it is an issue... a cursary google search would inform even a novice user that apps availablilty is an issue to many... percieved or actual..... so why people insist on creating threads like this to rehash what is basically a personal preference issue... For me I find no app gap.. everything I need is in BB World... which is why I bought a BB in the first place... how many time are we going to flog the preverbiable dead horse.... Taking the OP view... Apple and Google are deficient because they do not have the HUB which to me is crucial.... guess I need to go over rail at them....

Some of us found the apps we needed and used throughout the years within BBW. I was fine with it from 2007 to June 2014. What changed for me was the announcement that the Amazon store would come native on 10.3. That was when understood the native app effort had ended.

So I stayed because I was a long time user. And I ultimately left when BlackBerry announced a direction I would not follow. For years BlackBerry gave me what I wanted. Now my Q10 is in my kitchen drawer in case anything changes, and I will keep it updated and I'll look for leaks in case it does. For now, a Lumia 1520 took its place with the native apps I wanted, banking, insurance, transportation, photography, etc. All there. And of course I still have my iPhone and my SGIII which is about to be retired for a Note 4.
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 08-15-14 at 06:00 AM.
    JeepBB and Christopher Fotos like this.
    08-15-14 05:27 AM
    Some if us found the apps we needed and used throughout the years within BBW. I was fine with it from 2007 to June 2014. What changed for me was the announcement that the Amazon store would come native on 10.3. That was when understood the native app effort had ended.

So I stayed because I was a long time user. And I ultimately left when BlackBerry announced a direction I would not follow. For years BlackBerry gave me what I wanted. Now my Q10 is in my kitchen drawer in case anything changes, and I will keep it updated and I'll look for leaks in case it does. For now, a Lumia 1520 took its place with the native apps I wanted, banking, insurance, transportation, photography, etc. All there. And if course I still have my iPhone and my SGIII which I about to be retired for a Note 4.
    Equally, some of us had doubts about continuing with BlackBerry because despite their best efforts, the number of native apps was always behind the competition and limited the device. The introduction of the Android runtime and the deal with Amazon opened up the phone to a whole new range of functionality and ensured that we stayed with BlackBerry rather than moving to another platform.

Opinions eh? ;-)

Posted via CB10
    haringfish likes this.
    08-15-14 05:32 AM
212 1234 ...