I chose door #3 - a BlackBerry phone and a Windows tablet. Between the two of them, I have all the apps I need. If Windows didn't have the apps I was missing, I would have bought an iPad mini. Why is this such an insurmountable obstacle for so many people?

Posted via CB10

Because people might not want to carry a tablet and want a single solution. If I'm out the door running errands I want everything contained in one device. That's my phone.
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 08-15-14 at 05:45 AM.
    JeepBB and propeller10 like this.
    08-15-14 05:33 AM
    Sorry Troy, I have to disagree with you on this. Most people will buy a phone based on what is recommended by their friends & relatives, and in this case BlackBerry is always the Not recommended phone. Reason? They have closed down.

Hardly anyone buy a phone based on the app availability. So I feel that the most urgent of Blackberry's problem is not the app situation but more of their reputation & marketing. In view of this, Android fork does not really solve any problems other than the app gap.

Posted via CB10

I buy what works for me and not what the people around me buy.

Back when I first got my Z10 in March 2013, everyone who saw it wowed about it. Then came the inevitable "Show me Instagram" or "Where's Netflix?" Consumers in 2014 do expect these apps.
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 08-15-14 at 06:01 AM.
    propeller10 likes this.
    08-15-14 05:44 AM
    Equally, some of us had doubts about continuing with BlackBerry because despite their best efforts, the number of native apps was always behind the competition and limited the device. The introduction of the Android runtime and the deal with Amazon opened up the phone to a whole new range of functionality and ensured that we stayed with BlackBerry rather than moving to another platform.

Opinions eh? ;-)

Posted via CB10

Absolutely. I speak for myself and not others. If you notice there is plenty of the pronoun "I" in my posts unless I'm speaking of a well known trend or event I witnessed. In which case I say so.
    08-15-14 05:49 AM
    Absolutely. I speak for myself and not others. If you notice there is plenty of the pronoun "I" in my posts unless I'm speaking of a well known trend or event I witnessed. In which case I say so.
    Oh I know that, don't worry - but I would suggest (without evidence) that more are in the camp I described, which is why BlackBerry are doing it.

We can disagree on this one and I still love you...

Posted via CB10
    08-15-14 05:51 AM
    Plus windows phone has an app issue yet they're selling good.

Posted via CB10

What app issue?

Native banking apps, native transportation, native navigation, native insurance, native social apps....everything I could not find in BBW, supported by the platform and by the developer. No need to rely on another platform for any of the apps I use.

See how that goes?
    JeepBB and propeller10 like this.
    08-15-14 05:56 AM
    Oh I know that, don't worry - but I would suggest (without evidence) that more are in the camp I described, which is why BlackBerry are doing it.

We can disagree on this one and I still love you...

Posted via CB10

Aaaww see now you've done it...you buttered me up and now I'm all girly and stuff.....💘
    08-15-14 05:57 AM
    Aaaww see now you've done it...you buttered me up and now I'm all girly and stuff.....��
    It's my English charm you know. When I find it I will let you know!
    08-15-14 06:00 AM
    It's my English charm you know. When I find it I will let you know!

YOU'RE ENGLISH?!?!?! *sigh*....*thud*
    08-15-14 06:03 AM
    YOU'RE ENGLISH?!?!?! *sigh*....*thud*
    Oh yes. I even love cricket!
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    08-15-14 06:05 AM
    Sorry, DVD drive in Surface Pro 3? We are in 2014! I have never used a DVD or CD in 3 years! If you really really need it just buy an external USB DVD drive. The current Keyboard is fantastic and gets great reviews. Do you know SP3 weighs so light and slim is because of the sealed battery? cheers

Microsoft is going the right direction with the surface pro 3 all they need is a replaceable battery, DVD drive and a better keyboard plus a competitive price.
    The surface pro 3 plus Windows 7 would be my ultimate notebook replacement if they get this right.
    08-15-14 06:23 AM
    Sorry, DVD drive in Surface Pro 3? We are in 2014! I have never used a DVD or CD in 3 years! If you really really need it just buy an external USB DVD drive. The current Keyboard is fantastic and gets great reviews. Do you know SP3 weighs so light and slim is because of the sealed battery? cheers
    Film and TV is still sold predominantly on DVDs.
    08-15-14 06:26 AM
    Film and TV is still sold predominantly on DVDs.
    Not for people who like things instantly, House of Cards DVD?

In the UK through Amazon prime you can now get US TV shows like Extant 1 day after they stream in US, no not on DVD, to stream..

Who carries around DVDS just in case their board so they can pop one in? That's more in-house entertainment.. yes I know there are portable DVD players but come on!

Now if it could play vinyl... THAT would be something

Check Out TechCraze

Refs;

http://m.europe.wsj.com/articles/SB1...42958?mobile=y

Attachment 290906
    08-15-14 06:30 AM
    Not for people who like things instantly, House of Cards DVD?

In the UK through Amazon prime you can now get US TV shows like Extant 1 day after they stream in US, no not on DVD, to stream..

Who carries around DVDS just in case their board so they can pop one in? That's more in-house entertainment.. yes I know there are portable DVD players but come on!

Now if it could play vinyl... THAT would be something

Check Out TechCraze
    No, that's not remotely comparable, and it doesn't alter the fundamental reality that at present, DVDs are the predominant platform. Signing up for a subscription service is not the same, having offline compatibility with different platforms is not the same either. If you want that, you have to buy the DVD and rip it.
    08-15-14 06:34 AM
    No, that's not remotely comparable, and it doesn't alter the fundamental reality that at present, DVDs are the predominant platform. Signing up for a subscription service is not the same, having offline compatibility with different platforms is not the same either. If you want that, you have to buy the DVD and rip it.
    Except they are available BEFORE the DVD even comes out

Check Out TechCraze
    08-15-14 06:37 AM
    Except they are available BEFORE the DVD even comes out

Check Out TechCraze
    So what? It's not offline, it's not cross platform, it's not to keep. And it's not the dominant means of buying them. Which was the point.
    08-15-14 06:38 AM
    So what? It's not offline, it's not cross platform, it's not to keep. And it's not the dominant means of buying them. Which was the point.
    We're talking about too many different things at the same time.. if you look at the pictures above you'll see that digital sales which as I understand mean OFFLINE sales, which if you look in the link some were made available a week or two BEFORE DVD, those are digital copies that you can buy keep and use on a limited number of devices, eternally.. they have jumped up

My other point is the benefits of a DVD are outweighed by the costs imo when you start talking about portability especially where a digital substitute exists..

A tablet like that would be for a very niche market, and doesn't it open up more ways for hackers to get into your device and install malicious software? And they can get scratched and 10 digital copies are easier to access on the go than 10 DVD copies.. etc etc

Check Out TechCraze
    08-15-14 06:45 AM
    We're talking about too many different things at the same time.. if you look at the pictures above you'll see that digital sales which as I understand mean OFFLINE sales, which if you look in the link some were made available a week or two BEFORE DVD, those are digital copies that you can buy keep and use on a limited number of devices, eternally.. they have jumped up

My other point is the benefits of a DVD are outweighed by the costs imo when you start talking about portability especially where a digital substitute exists..

A tablet like that would be for a very niche market, and doesn't it open up more ways for hackers to get into your device and install malicious software? And they can get scratched and 10 digital copies are easier to access on the go than 10 DVD copies.. etc etc

Check Out TechCraze
    Sure, you wouldn't expect it on a tablet - but I was taking issue with your "I haven't used a DVD in 3 years" comment, dismissing their importance. It remains a fact that this is how how most film and TV is currently distributed; and the DRM means that for those who want offline viewing cross platform have no current alternative but to buy the DVD and rip it. It's not the fault of the device, it's the fault of the film and TV industry - they're the ones who need to catch up.
    08-15-14 06:56 AM
    Sure, you wouldn't expect it on a tablet - but I was taking issue with your "I haven't used a DVD in 3 years" comment, dismissing their importance. It remains a fact that this is how how most film and TV is currently distributed; and the DRM means that for those who want offline viewing cross platform have no current alternative but to buy the DVD and rip it. It's not the fault of the device, it's the fault of the film and TV industry - they're the ones who need to catch up.
    I don't remember saying I hadn't used a DVD in three years? But fair enough

Check Out TechCraze
    08-15-14 07:03 AM
    I don't remember saying I hadn't used a DVD in three years? But fair enough

Check Out TechCraze
    Well that would be for the reason that it wasn't you. Oops! Sorry!
    tinochiko likes this.
    08-15-14 07:09 AM
    Well that would be for the reason that it wasn't you. Oops! Sorry!
    It's all good

Check Out TechCraze
    Banco likes this.
    08-15-14 07:23 AM
    Microsoft has a huge app gap compared to BlackBerry. Some people here are to funny.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-14 07:28 AM
    Microsoft has a huge app gap compared to BlackBerry. Some people here are to funny.

Posted via CB10

Check Out TechCraze
    08-15-14 07:32 AM
    I speak for the trees.
    08-15-14 07:37 AM
    I love trees. They speak to me.
    MarsupilamiX and Shadowyugi like this.
    08-15-14 07:39 AM
    I love trees. They speak to me.
    Those are triffids. Beware.
    red_devil_fan_1999 likes this.
    08-15-14 07:42 AM
212 12345 ...