What's up Crackberry Folks!

Having a bit of an issue. For a while now, it's taken my BB approx 20 mins to boot. I also notice it can take up to 45 to backup. Without a doubt, it's clear that the biggest DB I've got is my messages, and that's what takes the longest in the backup (90% of the time is that one status bar).

I'm currently in progress upgrading to 5.0 on my Tour (it must be raining frogs! finally an official from VZW!).

I plan on doing the following:
    backing up only databases (no apps)
    wiping the phone
    upgrading the OS
    wiping the phone again (just cause I'm anal)
    restoring my backup
    reinstalling apps

With the above said, I've done this all before already. Just without a new OS. I've wiped, restored, etc. Doesn't resolve the issue that apparently either a) my blackberry is slower than a snail or b) I get too much e-mail.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Should I be adjusting a mail retention setting somewhere?
    Are my backups corrupt somehow?
    Should I just be xfering contacts and just starting with blank mailboxes?

Any thoughts?
    Thanks so much for the help in advance!!
    03-30-10 07:00 PM
    I've noticed longer boot times with more apps installed. For the back up time, how many messages do you have? Maybe its time to start deleting some?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-30-10 07:41 PM
    It's interesting, I agree - might be time to delete some e-mails. I get probably 100 - 200 a day, but have mail settings at delete after 15 days, so I didn't expect that there would be as much "damage". I do suspect it's my messages though.

Anyone have any other suggestions for controlling messages in aggregate? I know I could add some filters to my mailboxes, etc, but I think in general I'd prefer to just save for 10 or even 5 days to resolve the issue.

As for Apps, I just rebooted and there's really nothing unusual starting up. GTalk, Google Voice, SmrtGuard, Google Maps, but again, unless there's a known issue with any of these, I'm really feeling the messages route.
    03-30-10 07:53 PM
    Go to options, status, menu, data base. You can see how many messages you have along with a lot of other stuff. As for apps, its not how many you have running its the amount you have installed. When I had next to nothing on my phone, it would reboot under two minutes.

03-30-10 07:59 PM
    Hm, Interesting. Didn't realize it was the # installed. Well - here's my full install list (write em down to keep me sane when I'm doing all of this )

I'm actually wiping right now, and it's been going for about an hour and 15. The little progress dial pops up here and there, so it gives me confidence, but I'm really having a hard time not pulling the battery and whipping out JLCmdr (or whatever it's called).

Visual Voice Mail
    BBM
    Facebook
    GMaps
    GChat
    GVoice
    Viigo
    Pandora
    Tetherberry
    SmrtGuard
    Poynt
    Myspace
    App World

When I'm done and back up and running I'll see what I can do to check the messages, etc. Will post if there's anything funny.

Thanks VERY much for the help!!
    03-30-10 09:12 PM
    I've seen Messages databases that hare huge... your Tour should not be that slow. You can do a backup and then a data wipe on it. If it's still slow at that point, then you have Flash memory or other hardware issues and the phone should be replaced. 25minute startup... ummm, no.
    03-30-10 10:48 PM
    Thanks so much for the help folks, and totally agreed - Should -not- be this slow. With that said, I think it was actually a script in one of the applications? If that makes sense.
    Took about 2 hours, maybe 2.5 to wipe the device, and even then the wipe wasn't complete. It brought me back to my homescreen. I manually deleted all apps, and then reexecuted the wipe. This second time it was done in 15 minutes. Have now upped to 5.0 and it's incredibly speedy. Next step, reloading my backup and apps. We'll see how that goes, and I'll let you all know if it's success!

Thanks again so much for the responses!
    03-30-10 11:39 PM
    It was either an app or a corrupt database causing you all the issues. Go slow on the rebuild and see when the problem starts, that'll tell you the offending item.
    03-30-10 11:52 PM
    Well, 12 Minute boot time w/o Apps. Better!

I had started reloading my backup before I read your message, blew it and reloaded the whole backup. (13000 messages accounting for 95Meg BTW). As a side note, there is -no- way that's possible for me in 15 days... do I not have a "auto delete" set somewhere that I should? In mail options, I have 15 days as duration to keep messages.

I don't see any reason why the mail history is critical for me, so I'm going to (sigh) rewipe and bypass that part of the backup. Will be a bit more selective in other areas as well.

Passing out for now though. Thank you both SO much for your help tonight. Back to it tomorrow AM!
    03-31-10 01:09 AM
    I have an 8330 (no where near as good as your tour) and was running os 4.5 for the longest time which gave me awful start up times between 15-25 minutes and terrible backup times similar to yours.
    Then I upgraded to os 5.0 and started to get boot times of slightly under 10 minutes with backups taking no more then 20 minutes.
    My guess is it was just due to your old os as its not as efficient as 5.0

Now for my word of advice if you like,
    Since upgrading to 5.0 I have started using hybrids and can assure you I am even more satisfied. My phone boots up in under 4 minutes and runs almost as fast as my friends stock bold 9000. So may I suggest you head over to bbhybrids.net and check out the hybrids there. Maybe read some of the forums and compare different hybrids for your device?
    I have installed hybrids on my phone and 10 of my friends' phones ranging from 8300 to 9700 and every one of them says they'll never go back to a stock os. If you would like some help on trying to find a good hybrid for your tour I would also be happy to help and you can bbm me at 31F8F344 with any questions and so on.

Best of luck with your problems

*edit
    Instead of using JLCmdr I recommend using BBSAK (blackberry swiss army knife) it backs up apps and does a device wipe in under 45 seconds

Last edited by kylecore; 03-31-10 at 02:33 AM.
    03-31-10 02:29 AM
    Well, I think that did it!

Upping from 4.7 -> 5.0 with full restore of backup did do wonders, but there was still noticeable lag where there shouldn't be and some funny occurrences. An ex: Battery Pull took 12 Minutes.

Wipe resulted in expected performance. Batt Pull = 4 minutes.

Refresh of SELECTED databases (Only those I couldn't live without - Contacts, Etc) resulted in expected performance. Batt Pull = 4-5 minutes.

I'm currently installing Apps and manually adjusting settings right now with absolutely no difficulty, will continue to monitor.

Here's my take: I started with an 88xx series. Moved to Curve, then Pearl, Then back to Curve, then Storm, and now Tour. With the storm, I was using every leak and hybrid OS I could find. In all of my phone changes, I've always used the same DB backup process. Backup, Full restore. This resulted in the same DB's carrying over from OS to OS and Phone to Phone. Even looking through the Backup DB list, there were many that weren't on my clean 5.0 install (and vice versa).

If it's possible that there could be artifacts in the backup DBs that, while not corrupting, caused some confusion for the 5.0 programming, that would make sense to me. I specifically paid attention to ensure no "options" type DB's were restored.

In general, I think the answer lies somewhere in there. From now on, I'm going to make a habit of selectively restoring my DBs when making drastic OS or phone changes with the hope of keeping things clean.

You've all been an awesome help! Thanks so much!
    03-31-10 10:08 AM
    95MB of messages is HUGE. What's your file free? Options - Status - File Free.

Tour can handle a lot of messages, but 95MB might be asking too much.
    03-31-10 10:19 AM
    Heh, Agreed KJJB. I didn't restore them, but it was something like ~40MB File Free after a pull? Wasn't too horrendous. With that said, I'm set to delete messages after 15 days. Didn't look like that was happening (I definitely don't get 13k messages in 15 days). Did I have a setting wrong somewhere?
    03-31-10 10:23 AM
    Oo, Grats on your 1000'th post, which is obvs about to happen!
    03-31-10 10:23 AM
    I know when I upgrade from hybrid to hybrid I only restore my contacts and calendar and maybe some browser options and theme options. But that's about it. I never restore everything, so yes doing a full restore could have been a big problem for you, along with have and old os and 13000 messages.

Glad to hear everythings working a lot better for you though!

03-31-10 01:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD