We're all here because of the legendary tech company from Waterloo, but what other Canadian companies do you like and support?

In addition to owning several BlackBerry phones and currently using one (a Q10) as my primary smartphone, my carrier is Ting - a MVNO operating in the United States which resells Sprint and T-Mobile service. Ting is owned by Tucows, which is headquartered in Toronto. So I'm an American using a phone from a Canadian company AND cell phone service through a Canadian-owned carrier!

Tucows also owns Hover, which is my preferred domain name registrar.

What products and services do you use and enjoy from Canadian companies?
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    10-13-16 10:46 AM
    Interesting question, as I had to stop and think a bit.

I WORK for a Canadian mining company - although I don't buy their products directly, I'm a supporter, because they pay me!
    My cell / internet / home phone supplier is MTS, which used to be a Manitoba crown corporation. A few years back it went public and has now been bought by Bell, so I'm not sure if it would still qualify as Canadian.

My electricity is supplied by Manitoba Hydro, which is a Manitoba crown corporation.

As far as I know the gasoline that I buy is Canadian, perhaps even from the oil sands.
    The lumber that I buy is Canadian.

Sadly, I believe that my GMC truck is likely built in the USA out of largely Mexican-assembled parts ... some time ago this would have at least been assembled in Oshawa, but no longer.

Much of my TV watching is, to the best of my knowledge, Canadian - HGTV, History Channel.
    And, HOCKEY!!!!! I cheer for Canadian teams, eh, as well as supporting my local Junior A team, which is pretty good hockey despite being a long ways from the NHL.
    anon(6038817) and Ursus Rufus like this.
    10-13-16 10:55 AM
    London Drugs, they also sell electronics, I bought a "Certified Data" PC there, Canadian, except what parts aren't made in China nowadays.....

Used to like Eatons and Hudson Bay but I think "The Bay" is now either bankrupt or American owned. I think The Bay DID survive but it is Eatons that went belly up, now that I think about it.

I posted a good link for the now defunct Canadian companies there were and I will have to take a look at it again and post it. I was suprised to see as many as I did in that list now.

"Petro Canada" for gasoline. PC bought all the Gulf Service stations in around 1985 in Canada, I know because my dad used to own a Gulf Service station and had at one time 7 mechanics under him.

But I could probably write a novel on this.
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 10-13-16 at 05:10 PM.
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    10-13-16 12:44 PM
    Rogers

Telus

Canadian Tire

HOW could we forget about those?

Here is a complete list of popular Canadian companies...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...nada_by_profit

BUT I really don't think Americans care much about things from Canada, or really know much about Canadian companies in general. In fact, most Canadians might not either!

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    10-13-16 05:20 PM
    Does Anne Murray count as a company? Or Shania twain? I like them.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    10-13-16 05:43 PM
    Does Anne Murray count as a company? Or Shania twain? I like them.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    Whoa, that reminds me, Gordon Lightfoot!

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    10-13-16 06:04 PM
    Can't go wrong with clothes from Roots! Or a corporate jet from Bombardier. Or some hockey hear from CCM.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-13-16 06:11 PM
    Can't go wrong with clothes from Roots! Or a corporate jet from Bombardier. Or some hockey hear from CCM.

I had a Bike from CCM (Canadian Custom Made) do they even still make bikes?

10-13-16 06:16 PM

You can go wrong with a transit system from Bombardier, though.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...treetcars.html
    10-13-16 07:35 PM
    Ummm.... really like my Sabian cymbals, my Godin guitar, and my Traynor amplifier and that is just music.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-16 08:56 PM
    Sure funny how a friend of mine was saying that "competition" in the cellular world would lower costs to cell phone users. This was not what happened. What did happen by letting in more cellular providers was more data offered, Long Distance calling included, more cell towers for better coverage (most piggybacked off Sasktel except Rogers because Sasktel built the original infastructure, and Rogers builds their own towers) and unlimited texting and pic messages, etc.

Before other companies were allowed in Saskatchewan I was with Sasktel. I was allowed something like 10 minutes of airtime per MONTH so it was more of an emergency device only, something of a novelty and not for anything with social aspects that we see today. True that my plan cost $20 per month back in 1997 but you couldn't do anything with it. I had a Motorola 650 Flip and I actually used it for 10 years, probably the longest before anyone without upgrading to something smaller and newer, but I didn't see the point since not much could be done with these devices back then.

My point is more of an observation that in the beginning we had a couple Canadian companies like Sasktel and Rogers, Telus, BUT when more companies came in it did not lower prices like everyone thought it would. Yes more was offered, but in the end nothing became "cheaper."
    10-15-16 10:05 PM
    Sure funny how a friend of mine was saying that "competition" in the cellular world would lower costs to cell phone users. This was not what happened. What did happen by letting in more cellular providers was more data offered, Long Distance calling included, more cell towers for better coverage (most piggybacked off Sasktel except Rogers because Sasktel built the original infastructure, and Rogers builds their own towers) and unlimited texting and pic messages, etc.

Before other companies were allowed in Saskatchewan I was with Sasktel. I was allowed something like 10 minutes of airtime per MONTH so it was more of an emergency device only, something of a novelty and not for anything with social aspects that we see today. True that my plan cost $20 per month back in 1997 but you couldn't do anything with it. I had a Motorola 650 Flip and I actually used it for 10 years, probably the longest before anyone without upgrading to something smaller and newer, but I didn't see the point since not much could be done with these devices back then.

My point is more of an observation that in the beginning we had a couple Canadian companies like Sasktel and Rogers, Telus, BUT when more companies came in it did not lower prices like everyone thought it would. Yes more was offered, but in the end nothing became "cheaper."
    Because they all needed to set up, have had similar setup costs, and will have similar running costs as well as shareholder expectations... :-)

Not here to justify corporate rip-off or price gouging, but investments need to have some sort of return.

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    10-16-16 02:42 AM
    Because they all needed to set up, have had similar setup costs, and will have similar running costs as well as shareholder expectations... :-)

Not here to justify corporate rip-off or price gouging, but investments need to have some sort of return.

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    And to make matters even more interesting, Sasktel was already set up and built the infrastructure here, a lot of companies like Virgin mobile and Telus just paid Sasktel to piggyback on their systems and networks and prices still didn't get cheaper.

Many times I had to attempt calls two or three times when I was with Virgin mobile because there were so many people using the towers because of the line sharing. At least that's what the virgin mobile people told me, namely that the Sasktel customers have "priority" over the others. Maybe things have changed now I don't know...
    10-19-16 10:45 PM