I wonder if anyone here can shed light on RIM regressive thinking?

After many years waiting we now have a good Mac OSX Desktop Manager.

It is however not possible to update the BlackBerry OS using a Mac because the only available file is a proprietary Windows format.

And that would be because...?

Any thoughts on this much appreciated

Ian
    10-30-10 11:30 AM
    Really? I was under the impression that OS download contained an installer for both Windows and Mac.

Mac support has taken forever to catch up to Windows. It is fair to say, it's not a high priority at RIM.
    10-30-10 12:08 PM
    Macs can install operator OS upgrade when presented through DM.

Macs can not however install Leaks/Hybrids or Officials from other carriers.

It is a pain, but either run windows in a virtual environment or find a friend with a pc.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-10 01:48 PM
    Really? I was under the impression that OS download contained an installer for both Windows and Mac.

Mac support has taken forever to catch up to Windows. It is fair to say, it's not a high priority at RIM.
    Yeah, nope ... OS download is .exe only. Maybe not a priority, or maybe intentional seeing that Apple is one of RIM's biggest competitors.

Macs can install operator OS upgrade when presented through DM.

Macs can not however install Leaks/Hybrids or Officials from other carriers.

It is a pain, but either run windows in a virtual environment or find a friend with a pc.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    DM on the Mac doesn't always work for operator OS's, either ... I could not get an OS 5 upgrade to install on my Bold 9000 for love nor money from my Mac. Wiped out everything I possibly could on it and it still said I needed another 3 mb of memory. When I jumped to an old Win XP laptop, the install worked fine, probably because I was able to download and install the OS manually rather than letting DM do it.

Looks like the Curve has a lot more on-board memory than the Bold, so I don't know if it would have the same issues there or not. But yeah, it's definitely a drag not to be able to play with leaks from my regular Mac desktop. We're at the mercy of the carriers.
    10-30-10 11:38 PM
    I suspect that the reason DM for Macs has such a low priority is because 85% of Mac Owners also have a PC.
    10-30-10 11:42 PM
    Yeah, nope ... OS download is .exe only. Maybe not a priority, or maybe intentional seeing that Apple is one of RIM's biggest competitors.

DM on the Mac doesn't always work for operator OS's, either ... I could not get an OS 5 upgrade to install on my Bold 9000 for love nor money from my Mac. Wiped out everything I possibly could on it and it still said I needed another 3 mb of memory. When I jumped to an old Win XP laptop, the install worked fine, probably because I was able to download and install the OS manually rather than letting DM do it.

Looks like the Curve has a lot more on-board memory than the Bold, so I don't know if it would have the same issues there or not. But yeah, it's definitely a drag not to be able to play with leaks from my regular Mac desktop. We're at the mercy of the carriers.
    Yep, I'd like to think it's not because apple is one of their biggest competitor but what can i say, looks like it, really. If i didn't have my work issued laptop i wouldn't be able to update too. I remember before I know for a fact that there is an available update for my 9700 but the DM on my mac just wont let me. so i have o download/install the DM to my work issued laptop (have to befriend a lot of IT personnel first though.)
    10-31-10 01:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD