I took a bit of interest lately in some of the older blackberrys and I was looking at some videos of a 7290 on youtube and it strikes me how little the OS has changed. Time for something new me thinks. Although I kinda like the 7290 a lot, might just buy a cheap one of eBay just to satisfy my curiosity.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-17-10 03:25 AM
    I got to play on my sister in law's 8820 a bit ago- 4.2 OS. It looked a little clunky, but everything was really close to my Bold 9700. I guess it's like comparing Windows 98 to XP... It's a facelift with new features, but still familiar.

03-17-10 03:59 AM
    You can thank the core BB market for that...corporate users who don't want to learn a new OS every year or two.
    03-17-10 08:08 AM
    Don't forget that they had plenty of time to fix issues and make improvements.
    It looks the same, feels the same, but does not work the same.
    03-17-10 08:32 AM
    You can thank the core BB market for that...corporate users who don't want to learn a new OS every year or two.
    Or their bosses that didn't want to pay for training

03-17-10 08:35 AM
    I think there is a lot under the hood different with OS5. It handles much different from my 4.2 phone.
    03-17-10 10:43 AM
    I got to play on my sister in law's 8820 a bit ago- 4.2 OS. It looked a little clunky, but everything was really close to my Bold 9700. I guess it's like comparing Windows 98 to XP... It's a facelift with new features, but still familiar.

the scary thing is you can still buy a brand new 8820 from T-Mo...

Unsupported Browser

no wonder they are stuck with an old OS... they cling to the past and fail to want to move forward....

BB OS = DOS
    03-17-10 11:37 AM
    no wonder they are stuck with an old OS... they cling to the past and fail to want to move forward...
    If people are buying them, why not?

03-17-10 12:58 PM
    Honestly I don't mind that it's the same. It is at least cleaner looking.
    03-17-10 02:23 PM
    What's the video's link?
    03-17-10 07:49 PM
    Just bought a 8707v from eBay for �22.00 just to see what's it like. Funny, reading some old reviews people were concerned the keypad will be to cramped for typing, if you see the 8700s and 8300 side by side you would understand the irony, it just looks huge.
    Looking forward to playing with it.

03-19-10 05:54 AM
    I have always liked the blackberry operating system and would be displeased if they changed it completely. I would rather that than something different every couple of years.

03-19-10 10:08 PM
    RIM should be totally ashamed for still pushing out this antique OS. Don't give me
    the "people are still buying it", "it's cleaner", "it gets the job done" crap.

The OS has barely progressed from the 90's and that is a damn shame. It is also
    the reason that I (a) took almost 300 BBs out of service and replaced them with
    more intuitive and innovative devices and (b) relegated my personal BB to the
    status of a backup device.
    03-19-10 10:24 PM
    Or their bosses that didn't want to pay for training

^^^ Perfect statement for federal gov't employees...
    03-20-10 02:49 AM
    Some people do like boring devices. There seems to be a market for it (huge obviously).
    03-20-10 10:05 AM
    Some people do like boring devices. There seems to be a market for it (huge obviously).
    New is not always better. That's why I ride a 1996 Honda motorcycle and not a 2010 one. Still got me safely trough 4500 miles in a week in original form last year.

03-20-10 11:46 AM
    New is not always better. That's why I ride a 1996 Honda motorcycle and not a 2010 one. Still got me safely trough 4500 miles in a week in original form last year.

That's my point exactly. Some people will take reliability and comfort over new and flashy. There Is nothing wrong with that.

03-20-10 12:50 PM
    That's my point exactly. Some people will take reliability and comfort over new and flashy. There Is nothing wrong with that.
    It's not a matter of "new and flashy." It's a matter of intuitive and innovative.
    ... and "reliability and comfort?" Give me a break
    03-20-10 01:01 PM
    It's not a matter of "new and flashy." It's a matter of intuitive and innovative.
    ... and "reliability and comfort?" Give me a break
    Don't judge. A lot of us like what BlackBerry devices have to offer. Just like you enjoy your Nokia devices.

03-20-10 01:06 PM
    Don't judge. A lot of us like what BlackBerry devices have to offer. Just like you enjoy your Nokia devices.
    Settle down Dwayne. If you notice, I still own a BB. I am just NOT one of those
    people who see it as the end all and be all of smartphones.

Rather than pigeonholing myself I choose to use as many platforms as I can.
    I see the merits as well as the shortcomings of each. Something most fanboys
    seem incapable of doing.
    03-20-10 01:11 PM
    There's no doubt that blackberry is a steep learning curve but once you learn it, it all makes sense. All other platforms are quite similar and it's much easier to jump from one to another.
    03-20-10 01:17 PM
    Settle down Dwayne. If you notice, I still own a BB. I am just NOT one of those
    people who see it as the end all and be all of smartphones.

Rather than pigeonholing myself I choose to use as many platforms as I can.
    I see the merits as well as the shortcomings of each. Something most fanboys
    seem incapable of doing.
    Me either. I do like BBs for what they are. I have always had a soft spot for them because the 8330 was the first smartphone I had that was reliable. As you can see, I have moved on from them, but still admire them from afar.

03-20-10 01:23 PM
    Me either. I do like BBs for what they are. I have always had a soft spot for them because the 8330 was the first smartphone I had that was reliable. As you can see, I have moved on from them, but still admire them from afar.
    Same here. I started with the 8100 (because the Nokia E62 was a train wreck.)

I have had every straight GSM device that came after it.

As far as the City I work for it simply made more sense to migrate away from
    the BB to Nokia.

For me the Nokia makes sense but I still have my 8900 and my commitment
    to the platform is best demonstrated by my presence on this site. Pointing out
    the shortcomings is not hating. It is a desire to see a worthy platform get
    better. I suspect you already know that is my only intent.
    03-20-10 01:32 PM
    Same here. I started with the 8100 (because the Nokia E62 was a train wreck.)

I have had every straight GSM device that came after it.

As far as the City I work for it simply made more sense to migrate away from
    the BB to Nokia.

For me the Nokia makes sense but I still have my 8900 and my commitment
    to the platform is best demonstrated by my presence on this site. Pointing out
    the shortcomings is not hating. It is a desire to see a worthy platform get
    better. I suspect you already know that is my only intent.
    What do you think of the new snapshots of 6.0?
    03-20-10 02:10 PM
    Here's my point of view, so you buy yourself a new blackberry and you say happy days, I have lots of memory now, and you start installing apps. Then you discover this apps start eating your battery or crash your blackberry. Slowly but surely you start deleting them one by one to restore your battery life and reliability. What you are left with is a blackberry that does the same stuff as a 5 year old blackberry.
    That's me right now anyway

03-20-10 02:26 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD