Hello BB fans!

I just read an interesting fact in an article. Here is the link to the article:

OnePlus Has Sold Over 500,000 Smartphones Since April

According to the article, OnePlus sold 500,000 devices and only spent $300 on marketing! I think that's extraordinary! If you read any of my previous posts, you probably know that I've pointed out that BB's marketing is pretty weak.

That being said, do you guys think BB should do something like OnePlus (an invite system that sparks interest) with one of their upcoming devices to increase sales? For example, we know that the Victoria or Visa is going to be an "unconventional device" and this fact alone will spark interest. In my opinion, if BB pairs that with some exclusivity, they may be able to move a nice volume of devices.

If you guys don't agree, please state why and pitch some of your own brilliant ideas of ways to improve sales of BB devices.
    11-07-14 12:00 AM
    The passport is already exclusive, production was so low that many can't even get it!

And it's so exclusive in the states that you can't buy it in stores! Talk about exclusivity right there!

Just kidding, but that one plus one really seems like a heck of a phone for the price, if only I liked android a little more..

Posted via CB10
    Vuneu likes this.
    11-07-14 12:09 AM
    The fact that the phones only cost $350 may also help that 500,000 figure

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    sentimentGX4 and Rami Bachar like this.
    11-07-14 12:16 AM
    The fact that the phones only cost $350 may also help that 500,000 figure

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    This

Was able to say this

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 12:25 AM
    BlackBerry sold 200k in the first few days. This sold 500k in in 6 months.

I'd rather they stick to their methods.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 12:29 AM
    Hello BB fans!
    . . . .
    If you read any of my previous posts, you probably know that I've pointed out that BB's marketing is pretty weak.
    . . . .
    And WHO are you? You say that like everyone should know you.

I can't think of anyone on CrackBerry that DOESN'T point out that BB's marketing is pretty weak. You're not telling anyone a secret with that!

Posted via CB10, now from a Z30
    wincyUt likes this.
    11-07-14 12:35 AM
    Nope. The OnePlus phone is just a good value on a (semi)estabilshed platform, that's why they're selling. This model wouldn't work for BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    11-07-14 02:04 AM
    I played with a friends OnePlus 64 gig model and it was a nice device for the money. They advertised used a invite system. I was one of the first ones to sign up for the invite and never received one.

It worked out better in the end, I spent my money on a new passport instead. Best choice I have made and not looking back.
    serbanescu likes this.
    11-07-14 02:52 AM
    $300 on marketing??

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 03:02 AM
    BlackBerry sold 200k in the first few days. This sold 500k in in 6 months.

I'd rather they stick to their methods.

Posted via CB10
    Right. Because those methods have worked out beautifully.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    11-07-14 04:27 AM
    Then how about releasing phone for less?

Also, like I've said a billion times before, marketing doesn't require billions if dollars. Some amazing ads I've seen just have two people talking. Or the device and showing what it can do. Or two devices and showing how one is better than the other. And nothing flashy.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 06:37 AM
    Yeah lets just give it out for free period. I am pretty sure they can do that and sell out 10 mil easy at free price.[and bankrupt too in the process]
    Do you realize OnePlus is probably a company with 100 employees and BB has much more cost and employees that cost a lot more money? BB has to make money after all of those things.
    wincyUt likes this.
    11-07-14 07:14 AM
    So you're telling me some new to the game company can play the game better than probably the oldest player in the smart phone game? Yes, sounds sketchy.

If they can do it with 100 employees than why can't BlackBerry "better" resources?

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 07:17 AM
    If you are spitting out android sure. BB has R&D. One Plus has mech designers. Google took care of their R&D and GUI Design and OS design.
    11-07-14 07:22 AM
    i own one, not a big fan of it lots of interesting software problems with it but don't wanna elaborate here.
    11-07-14 07:32 AM
    Each phone has their strengths and weaknesses. The Passport is a business related beast, with the bonus of being good for some gaming and other things. The OPO is more like the Nexus 5, only cheaper and with better specs. Releasing a phone that has 3gb RAM, 64gb storage, 13MP camera with 5MP front camera, 5.5" screen and 3,100 mAh battery for that kind of money is extremely desirable for a lot of people. The Nexus 5 doesn't have those specs. Who knows of the OPO will get a Lollipop upgrade or not which may deter some customers, but you can customize a lot of the settings due to CyanogenMod. More or less, you're getting the same specs as a Samsung Note 3 (with a 0.2" smaller screen) or an iPhone 6 Plus (albeit different OS) for half the cost. I am sticking with the Passport, but I do want one of these things too to play around with. Poeple are still selling Galaxy IIIs for $300 around here, the OPO kicks serious *** compared to that. OnePlus said that they make marginal profit on these devices, which at the retail price it's hard to believe they make anything at all. The Passport couldn't sell that cheap, but say if they reduced it to $499, it would sell a helluva lot more devices. Not to say they haven't fared well now and the $600 (US) price point is still desirable for what you get. it would be interesting to know how much profit BB makes off the sale of one Passport!
    11-07-14 07:55 AM
    Then how about releasing phone for less?

Also, like I've said a billion times before, marketing doesn't require billions if dollars. Some amazing ads I've seen just have two people talking. Or the device and showing what it can do. Or two devices and showing how one is better than the other. And nothing flashy.

Posted via CB10
    Umm...when people talk about "expensive advertising" they don't usually mean production costs of a TV spot. What makes marketing/advertising REALLY expensive is actually booking advertising space.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 08:26 AM
    I got a OnePlus One for my wife. It's a very decent Android phone, but not without problems.

OnePlus is a startup company. They need to get noticed, so they done this with aggressive pricing, which they can afford by having essentially no marketing budget. The invite system is their marketing plan, and it also enables them to keep the supply and demand very closely linked. But a lot of people get frustrated and buy something else.

I bought the OnePlus One in late August and I've yet to get any invites to distribute. And when one does get them, they expire in 24 hours, making it almost a lottery system.

People know what Android is, so they shop on specs and price. They don't know what BB10 is, so it's a different game.
    11-07-14 08:50 AM
    Who knows of the OPO will get a Lollipop upgrade or not which may deter some customers, but you can customize a lot of the settings due to CyanogenMod.
    They've promised to deliver 'L'.
    11-07-14 08:52 AM
    The OnePlusOne is a piece of junk. Their customer service is worse than any other manufacturer of handsets that I've ever dealt with (and that's saying something as I think BB's is severely lacking as well). I wanted to return mine because it would constantly crash and reboot and I got nowhere with their customer service. I had the phone literally for 2 days and it locked up so much I couldn't deal with it and begged them to let me send it back for either a replacement or a refund. I was told there were no replacements and that I would be emailed a return authorization form. I never received anything and after multiple attempts to reach someone who could help me I gave up. I ended up selling it with full disclosure of its problems and ended up losing money on it.

This company's approach to selling their piece of junk has also been a disaster. They are never on time and constantly screw up orders. BB doesn't need to emulate anything this shady company does and neither should any other manufacturer.
    11-07-14 08:54 AM
    Umm...when people talk about "expensive advertising" they don't usually mean production costs of a TV spot. What makes marketing/advertising REALLY expensive is actually booking advertising space.

Posted via CB10
    Thing with marketing is, you can't really trace sales back to the ad, unless with a discount code, which slashes away from revenue just for the sake of tracing sales origin. Yeah, marketing.
    11-07-14 12:05 PM
    The OnePlusOne is a piece of junk. Their customer service is worse than any other manufacturer of handsets that I've ever dealt with (and that's saying something as I think BB's is severely lacking as well). I wanted to return mine because it would constantly crash and reboot and I got nowhere with their customer service. I had the phone literally for 2 days and it locked up so much I couldn't deal with it and begged them to let me send it back for either a replacement or a refund. I was told there were no replacements and that I would be emailed a return authorization form. I never received anything and after multiple attempts to reach someone who could help me I gave up. I ended up selling it with full disclosure of its problems and ended up losing money on it.
    My wife has had her OPO for several months now, and has experienced none of the issues you describe, which does suggest poor quality control. There have been a lot of complaints about a yellow tinge around the edge of the display, although I haven't seen anything like that on hers either.

I think one of the worst aspects of the OPO is the camera software, which is certainly worse than BB10's. But on the whole the OPO has been pretty dependable.

I would distinguish between their "approach" to selling the OPO and the execution. The approach is to use the invite system in lieu of marketing to build a presence in the market without getting into difficult supply chain problems. The execution, including RMA handling, is another thing altogether. I don't think the approach is a bad idea for OPO, but I don't think it's appropriate for BlackBerry. BlackBerry's problem is not that they are an unknown company trying to establish a presence. Their problem is that they are a known company trying to undo what people think they know about them.
    11-07-14 01:49 PM
    Thing with marketing is, you can't really trace sales back to the ad, unless with a discount code, which slashes away from revenue just for the sake of tracing sales origin. Yeah, marketing.
    Well that's a really simple understanding of marketing you got there. You don't just place an ad to generate a sale per contact. Advertising is building and manipulating perception and awareness which is meant to result in many things before it ultimately results in sales........long complicated story and since english isn't my mother's tongue I fear I can't go too deep into this unfortunately lol.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 02:51 PM
    Hello BB fans!

I just read an interesting fact in an article. Here is the link to the article:

OnePlus Has Sold Over 500,000 Smartphones Since April

According to the article, OnePlus sold 500,000 devices and only spent $300 on marketing! I think that's extraordinary! If you read any of my previous posts, you probably know that I've pointed out that BB's marketing is pretty weak.

That being said, do you guys think BB should do something like OnePlus (an invite system that sparks interest) with one of their upcoming devices to increase sales? For example, we know that the Victoria or Visa is going to be an "unconventional device" and this fact alone will spark interest. In my opinion, if BB pairs that with some exclusivity, they may be able to move a nice volume of devices.

If you guys don't agree, please state why and pitch some of your own brilliant ideas of ways to improve sales of BB devices.
    One Plus has an advantage to it, which is that it's an Android phone. People are less reluctant to buy something new if it is coupled with something they know and love. And the specs and price of the phone don't hurt the cause either. Not sure if that's the right marketing strategy for BlackBerry. BlackBerry just needs to make itself known more. They need a killer commercial and lots of exposure. Not just among techies and BlackBerry fans but among the general public.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 03:54 PM
    I got a OPO after I saw the nexus 6 was not going to be as expected. Phone is big for my liking but no complaints otherwise. It has plenty of ROM support from various devs and will get plenty of lollipop love when that comes. For a small startup company 500k is huge. sure it took 6 months and the Passport will probably do it in about 2 months but I applaud them for a fantastic device at low cost.

Blackberry has many more things that it considers. Selling an $700 for half cost when they to produce a positive number at earnings time probably don't mix well.
    11-07-14 05:05 PM
27 12