A friend invited me to a family function, where there were a number of people from various walks of life. It so happened at my table was another BlackBerry Enthusiast. I was just about to shoot video of the function with my newly purchase PPSE, when I heard someone exclaimed "that's a BlackBerry ".
    So here I am, ready to school yet another person on the benefits of BlackBerry ownership, when she holds out her hand showing me her Priv. Then she begins to explain why she loves BlackBerry, to my brother (a former Android and current Windows user, who will be looking for a new OS home, soon). The poor guy, had heard it countless times from me and has been looking to win the Classic in the CrackBerry Giveaway.

Funny thing is being with Verizon, she never had the opportunity to hold a Passport in hand. So I slipped it out of it's Seidio Case, showing the "Full Monty" of the Silver Edition, placing it in her hands. She went on "how this must be the new BlackBerry and how she really was taken by the feel of it". I explained to her that this device was about 2 years older than hers, which she found hard to believe. And went on to explain to me how she'd used BlackBerry previously, for years and came back because of the Priv allowed her to return to BlackBerry on Android. But truthfully, she was really taken in by what the Passport Silver Edition had to offer? I understood her exactly, for it was just 3-4 months prior that I was able for the first time to find and hold the Classic, after insisting that a Verizon Sales Rep.,retrieve the last sample from a closed drawer under the display case (after she mistakenly admitted to still having one). And I'm not with Verizon, but couldn't locate one at AT&T nor T-Mobile. And the feel in my hand was infinitely greater than any picture online I had seem since it's launch. And that's why I purchased my PPSE, because if the Classic felt that impressive, I could only imagine what the Passport would be, and I wasn't wrong. And within the 2 weeks that I had it, I've changed other folks' impression of what BlackBerry is.
    It basically shows, that there are more folks that would buy BlackBerry if they were exposed to what BlackBerry had to offer. And history will show despite what's been said by the Powers That Be at BB, the inability to put the product in the hands of the consumer (whether because of marketing, availability, or pricing) is what really failed BlackBerry.
    Last edited by KNEBB; 10-11-16 at 07:20 AM.
    10-10-16 09:42 AM
    A friend invited me to a family function, where there were a number of people from various walks of life. It so happened at my table was another BlackBerry Enthusiast. I was just about to shoot video of the function with my newly purchase PPSE, when I heard someone exclaimed "that's a BlackBerry ".
    So here I am, ready to school yet another person on the benefits of BlackBerry ownership, when she holds out her hand showing me her Priv. Then she begins to explain why she loves BlackBerry, to my brother (a former Android and current Windows user, who will be looking for a new OS home, soon). The poor guy, had heard it countless times from me and has been looking to win the Classic in the CrackBerry Giveaway.

Funny thing is being with Verizon, she never had the opportunity to hold a Passport in hand. So I slipped it out of it's Seidio Case, showing the "Full Monty" of the Silver Edition, placing it in her hands. She went on "how this must be the new BlackBerry and how she really was taken by the feel of it". I explained to her that this device was about 2 years older than hers, which she found hard to believe. And went on to explained to me how she'd used BlackBerry previously, for years and came back because of the Priv allowed her to return to BlackBerry on Android. But truthfully, she was really taken in by what the Passport Silver Edition had to offer? I understood her exactly, for it was just 3-4 months prior that I was able for the first time to find and hold the Classic, after insisting that a Verizon Sales Rep.,retrieve the last sample from a closed drawer under the display case (after she mistakenly admitted to still having one). And I'm not with Verizon, but couldn't locate one at AT&T nor T-Mobile. And the feel in my hand was infinitely greater than any picture online I had seem since it's launch. And that's why I purchased my PPSE, because if the Classic felt that impressive, I could only imagine what the Passport would be, and I wasn't wrong. Within the 2 weeks that I had it, I've changed more folks' impression of what BlackBerry is.
    It basically shows, that there are more folks that would buy BlackBerry if they were exposed to what BlackBerry had to offer. And history will show despite what's been said by the Powers That Be at BB, the inability to put the product in the hands of the consumer (whether because of marketing, availability, or pricing) is what really failed BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Simply, Chen isn't a hardware guy, heck, if he is a software guy that would be great. He doesn't know how to sell or market anything. He can only spin and spin badly at that.

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    10-10-16 09:48 AM
    Sad how BlackBerry turn his back to hardware. Chen's previous job experience is software so he wasn't "fit" for BlackBerry! He did what he has done with previous company.

Posted via Priv
    10-10-16 09:56 AM
    You guys keep blaming Chen as if he hired himself. The board of directors panicked in 2013 when BB10 didn't take off like a rocket. Premium Watsa hand picked Chen to make sure he didn't lose his entire investment. Chen's instructions are simple : do what you have to so we ( investors) have some return on investment. Investors don't care what BlackBerry looks like as long as it makes a profit or is sold off for a handsome profit. Joys of being publicly traded.
    JeepBB and Plazmic Flame like this.
    10-10-16 10:45 AM
    No, don't get me wrong, I've been looking at this for a while. And I believe the internal struggles within BlackBerry existed before Mr. Chen came along. But I also attribute some of the failure of the company and BlackBerry10 to those same struggles. And unfortunately, when you assume the role of CEO that's part of the responsibility you take on. That's part of the pay scale. But even the roll out to BlackBerry Android exhibited the same missteps of the past (in regards to Marketing, Pricing,etc; the same old same old...). So one has to wonder if they were at all semi-committed in trying to make the device portion of the company viable and profitable.

A BlackBerry Fan!!!
    Last edited by KNEBB; 10-10-16 at 08:39 PM.
    acovey likes this.
    10-10-16 12:46 PM
    You guys keep blaming Chen as if he hired himself. The board of directors panicked in 2013 when BB10 didn't take off like a rocket. Premium Watsa hand picked Chen to make sure he didn't lose his entire investment. Chen's instructions are simple : do what you have to so we ( investors) have some return on investment. Investors don't care what BlackBerry looks like as long as it makes a profit or is sold off for a handsome profit. Joys of being publicly traded.
    I'm an investor as well and I care what BlackBerry looks like. They have destroyed the Brand. It's now a diluted struggling software company. A skeletal entity of its former self. Chen must go.

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    10-10-16 12:48 PM
    No, don't get me wrong, I've been looking at this for a while. And I believe the internal struggles within BlackBerry existed before Mr. Chen came along. But I also attribute some of the failure of the company and BlackBerry10 to those same struggles. And unfortunately, when you assume the role of CEO that's part of the responsibility you take on. That's part of the pay scale. But even the role out to BlackBerry Android exhibited the same missteps of the past (in regards to Marketing, Pricing,etc; the same old same old...). So one has to wonder if they were at all semi-committed in trying to make the device portion of the company viable and profitable.

A BlackBerry Fan!!!
    Yes they were semi committed! Software CEO can't make hardware priority

Posted via Priv
    10-10-16 12:49 PM
    Its not about you guys and we guys, its about BlackBerry brand which was famous once and they produce some really nice stuff! Its Chen who doesn't understand how to run hardware business...

Posted via Priv
    acovey likes this.
    10-10-16 12:52 PM
    I'm an investor as well and I care what BlackBerry looks like. They have destroyed the Brand. It's now a diluted struggling software company. A skeletal entity of its former self. Chen must go.
    Why do you say they are struggling on the software side?

What would your ideal next CEO do differently? Personally, I'd prefer a CEO who can communicate clearly and inspire confidence. But wrt strategy, what would you have the next CEO do ?
    10-10-16 12:54 PM
    Why do you say they are struggling on the software side?

What would your ideal next CEO do differently? Personally, I'd prefer a CEO who can communicate clearly and inspire confidence. But wrt strategy, what would you have the next CEO do ?
    First off ,Chen as you said is not a big communicator. Secondly when he opens his mouth more uncertainty and complete lack of commitment is what pours out. He has been singing soon after his debut that he will be shutting down hardware if x y or z happens, this is NOT how you show confidence nor commitment. He introduced the Android device catering to a niche market within a niche market. He killed BlackBerry 10 and continues to string the user base along with a long overdue software update.

Why do why I say they are struggling?? Well ,remove the revenue obtained in the equation , from the Good Technology acquisition, see what you find with respect to the true picture of BlackBerry ' s finances on the Software side.

He has fired all developmental employees in the company, how can you spur growth with all the innovation now gone with them.

Chen knows nothing about BlackBerry nor is he interested in finding out. His goal is to prep and prop it for a quick sale. No long term plan for its resurgence.

What can the next CEO do? Repair the damage done, though too late for hardware but at least get BlackBerry back to its roots, a leader in Technology where Research in Motion meant something.

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    10-10-16 01:12 PM

Posted via CB10
    Believe me I understand where you're coming from. This pivot is really wait and see. A good analogy would be that a struggling Chinese restaurant decides to pivot to making homemade pizzas. It could work on great and get them profitable again or it could not. They also have to convince people a Chinese restaurant can make a good pizza. I wish BlackBerry the best of luck convincing new customers.
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-10-16 01:18 PM
    Believe me I understand where you're coming from. This pivot is really wait and see. A good analogy would be that a struggling Chinese restaurant decides to pivot to making homemade pizzas. It could work on great and get them profitable again or it could not. They also have to convince people a Chinese restaurant can make a good pizza. I wish BlackBerry the best of luck convincing new customers.
    "convincing new customers" but how and with what?

Posted via Priv
    10-10-16 03:30 PM
    "convincing new customers" but how and with what?

Posted via Priv
    With their EMM offering and stuff like the Radar asset tracking hardware. They have things to sell. Just not anything you care about. Too many people here are emotionally invested in BlackBerry phones and that's why this pivot is difficult for them to understand.
    10-10-16 03:32 PM
    Simply, Chen isn't a hardware guy, heck, if he is a software guy that would be great. He doesn't know how to sell or market anything. He can only spin and spin badly at that.

Posted via CB10
    Chen is a guy who makes money. It's not that he isn't a hardware guy, it's that he knows he can't make any money off of blackberry hardware anymore so he had to get rid of it

Posted via CB10
    sparkybob likes this.
    10-10-16 03:39 PM
    Chen is a guy who makes money. It's not that he isn't a hardware guy, it's that he knows he can't make any money off of blackberry hardware anymore so he had to get rid of it

Posted via CB10
    Chen can't make a penny. He had a Hail Mary with the acquisition of Good Technology, he has not made BlackBerry any money on his own steam.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-16 04:27 PM
    Chen can't make a penny.

Posted via CB10
    ...on BlackBerry handsets.

*ME173X
    10-10-16 04:28 PM
    ...on BlackBerry handsets.

*ME173X
    On anything ,G o read his financials last time out. Chen MUST go!

Posted via CB10
    acovey and BB_PP like this.
    10-10-16 04:29 PM
    With their EMM offering and stuff like the Radar asset tracking hardware. They have things to sell. Just not anything you care about. Too many people here are emotionally invested in BlackBerry phones and that's why this pivot is difficult for them to understand.
    "They have tings to sell" you are talking corporate not consumer! Do you see anybody talking corporate here on CB? Yes emotions are involved when you wait for new products and you pay 700USD for that. After short time you feel you are betrayed and no one there update your products

Posted via Priv
    10-10-16 04:49 PM
    Even Passport was not designed in his time!

Posted via Priv
    10-10-16 04:53 PM
    'Cept in OP's story the experience of Android on BB10 is different than Android and she returns the device cause xyz apps don't work or don't work without putting in work which is the opposite experience most people want in a smartphone and the BB name is again corrupted with her and everyone she converses with.
    10-10-16 05:01 PM
    BlackBerry enthusiast are ALL different:

-the ones who want a 9900 again
    -the ones who want only pkb
    -the ones who want just the BlackBerry logo on it, no matter what's the OS
    -the ones who want it to be Android because OS10 is a failuer
    -the ones who want it to be OS10 because Android lags and datamines
    -the ones who are already on Apple or Samsung but they remember the old times

You can continue...

Posted via CB10
    10-10-16 05:12 PM
    On anything ,G o read his financials last time out. Chen MUST go!

Posted via CB10
    Well it seems your in the minority on your opinion of Chen. He's not going anywhere soon.
    10-10-16 05:23 PM

He killed BlackBerry 10 and continues to string the user base along with a long overdue software update.
    He killed nothing, the market (ie the consumers) killed BB10. Blame should be place on Mike and Jim for making it to late and not ready.
    rthonpm likes this.
    10-10-16 06:54 PM
    Pivot : Buzz word for Failure.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-16 07:11 PM
    He killed nothing, the market (ie the consumers) killed BB10. Blame should be place on Mike and Jim for making it to late and not ready.
    He killed BlackBerry, get over Mike and Jim. That's yesterday. What has Chen done? F A I L E D!!!

Posted via CB10
    10-10-16 07:12 PM
56 123