I'm a new Blackberry owner - got my 9650 about a month ago. I deployed to Afghanistan a few days after getting it, using Verizon's global email plan. For the first two weeks it worked perfectly. I was able to talk with my wife using bbm, update my Facebook easily, surf the web, and keep in contact with the rest of the family via email and instant messengers.

My entire trip, through Europe and Asia and even in the larger cities of Afghanistan, it worked pretty well - slipping from 3G to EDGE and finally to GPRS, which is where it's at now. It's been this way ever since I got to my actual base, which is in a more secluded region. Occasionally the GPRS will become gprs or even just GSM, but it stays connected to the data network most of the time.

If it didn't work at all, I'd be satisfied and just give up on it, but it often goes from not working at all to working great (sometimes very suddenly). Some days the red clock will sit for hours during a bbm conversation, and others it goes through immediately (a big ol' check and a "D"). Sometimes it's just a check - no "D" or "R". Some days I'll be surfing the internet with ease, and others it'll say "unable to connect to the internet, please try again later." Some days I'll be connected to AIM or Yahoo for hours, others it won't connect at all. Most of the time, the only functionality I get out of it is bbm (which takes between 2 - 15 minutes to send) and email (which randomly pops up, as if the network operates in short bursts, and takes several minutes to send).

Most days I'll get a Blackberry Registration email in my inbox several times, as though it keeps trying to connect to BIS. When I run a diagnostic report, the signal level usually comes out at somewhere between -85 and -65, it's connected to the network and has an IP address, but it always says "BlackBerry Registration: No , Connected to BlackBerry: Abort , BlackBerry PIN-PIN: Abort."

I've tried going through the threads and searching google, but I can't find a straight answer to my question. Is the problem with the phone or the network? Are there any workarounds? I am a Verizon subscriber, but am roaming on TDCA - vodafone NL. I had no issues with this particular network until I travelled to my current location.

I've done battery pulls and soft resets. I've tried re-registering in the Host Routing Table option, as I had read elsewhere to do. I've messed around with other APNs just to see what would happen, but to no avail. I'm no BlackBerry Expert, after all. Thank you in advance for any ideas or advice.
    07-27-10 01:15 PM
    You are in an unstable country with an unstable cellular network.

You have to be kidding to think it is going to have good, stable US/Europe/Rich Asia coverage in a secluded area in one of the poorest countries on earth.

Be happy you get anything at all. I was amazed when i got some GPRS in fallujah and managed to make a 2 minute call home for the first time in a month and iraq has a far better network (Iraqna) than a-stan does.
    07-28-10 12:56 AM
    you can't piggy back your wifi connection on base? There has to be a secure login you can use from the phone itself.
    07-28-10 06:41 AM
    Karaya1, not much help there. I was asking for help; I don't need the attitude. I know it's an unstable network, and I never expected "good, stable" service. My only issue is the fact the I have GPRS pretty much ALL the time, but it acts as though there is no data connectivity whatsoever, and it says that it isn't registered or connected to BlackBerry. But my bars are almost always full, and though I haven't tried to make a call yet, I don't see why I wouldn't be able to. But it's $3/min, so I doubt I will.

Blueyestm, not sure what you mean by a secure login from the phone itself. Oh, and there are no active wifi connections on this particular base. At least none that I'm privy to.

Basically what I am asking in my post is if there's anything else I can do (settings within the phone) that can help make it more responsive to the obviously dismal network. Or perhaps something really did happen to my phone all of a sudden (hardware-wise) and that's the problem. I just don't know..
    07-28-10 08:45 AM
    Karaya1, not much help there. I was asking for help; I don't need the attitude. I know it's an unstable network, and I never expected "good, stable" service. My only issue is the fact the I have GPRS pretty much ALL the time, but it acts as though there is no data connectivity whatsoever, and it says that it isn't registered or connected to BlackBerry. But my bars are almost always full, and though I haven't tried to make a call yet, I don't see why I wouldn't be able to. But it's $3/min, so I doubt I will.

Blueyestm, not sure what you mean by a secure login from the phone itself. Oh, and there are no active wifi connections on this particular base. At least none that I'm privy to.

Basically what I am asking in my post is if there's anything else I can do (settings within the phone) that can help make it more responsive to the obviously dismal network. Or perhaps something really did happen to my phone all of a sudden (hardware-wise) and that's the problem. I just don't know..
    The other poster is right, I wouldn't expect Afghanistan's cellular network to be top notch....since you probably can't travel somewhere else to see how connectivity is there, you can't really verify if it's your phone or (most likely) the network.
    07-28-10 10:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD