BlackBerry may not be in the consumer device league, but it's the best consumer device anyone can get.
    This league problem is happening only because of apple and samsung's deep**** marketing...

Posted via CB10
    It probably doesn't hurt that they have deeper pockets either.

I walked into a Best Buy over six months ago only to discover that Microsoft had literally poured Money on Best Buy: there was a massive display set up in the corner flogging the Microsoft Surface Tablet.

Well, I assume they poured money on it as my guess is that Best Buy wouldn't have set up such an elaborate display for free...

Perhaps there's some Mobile Nations "Ambassadors" that can say otherwise?
    05-12-14 12:54 AM
    BlackBerry may not be in the consumer device league, but it's the best consumer device anyone can get.
    This league problem is happening only because of apple and samsung's deep**** marketing...

Posted via CB10
    The league problem is happening only because Blackberry forgot how to market their stuff.
    05-12-14 01:37 AM
    Haha even ambassadors cannot deny the facts...
    But when i think about it i think we can't even blame these companies.
    BlackBerry devices are way more professionally designed and have a huge amount of BlackBerry experience put into them while these other companies seem like a bunch of college students coming together and designing a new product...
    But maybe the simplicity of these products is what an average consumer can relate to...

Posted via CB10
    05-12-14 01:37 AM

I walked into a Best Buy over six months ago only to discover that Microsoft had literally poured Money on Best Buy: there was a massive display set up in the corner flogging the Microsoft Surface Tablet.

Well, I assume they poured money on it as my guess is that Best Buy wouldn't have set up such an elaborate display for free...

I'm not an Ambassador, but it's been reported both here and elsewhere that marketing is (and probably always has been) a manufacturer responsibility. So, yes, the elaborate display in Best Buy was very likely paid for by Microsoft and the store just donated the space (not out of the goodness of their hearts, but on the understanding that they'll benefit if the marketing works and the product sells)

Money talks!
    05-12-14 01:40 AM
    Yeah even i don't deny that, but i think john chen and co might have some smart (if not big) plans regarding that matter...
    I mean look at this new Chinese android OEM "one plus", they are a start up from China aiming to sell their devices worldwide with a so far very successful (maybe not honest) marketing campaign...while BlackBerry on the other hand i believe have an edge over them in every department and still they are not doing anything regarding this matter...

Posted via CB10
    05-12-14 01:45 AM
    Yeah even i don't deny that, but i think john chen and co might have some smart (if not big) plans regarding that matter...
    I mean look at this new Chinese android OEM "one plus", they are a start up from China aiming to sell their devices worldwide with a so far very successful (maybe not honest) marketing campaign...while BlackBerry on the other hand i believe have an edge over them in every department and still they are not doing anything regarding this matter...

Posted via CB10
    I'm an Indian as well. So i don't need to elaborate what's the present market condition.
    Maybe(my guess) you too have Z10 from that 17990 scheme.
    I went to market with my friend, as he wanted a new phone. The shopkeeper told us-Blackberry is closing off, and they are just cleaning their stock. and you should buy s4mini. I corrected him, and took my friend out of the shop. Ignorance inhere is touching peaks, when it comes to phones brands. Also, it's not our job to correct every single one of them.
    It's the company's job to tell people that it's still alive.
    Not everyone visits CB you know.
    blee4 and wincyUt like this.
    05-12-14 02:00 AM
    Well all we can do is hope that BlackBerry sees this conversation on crackberry...and i hope they are already working on it...

Posted via CB10
    05-12-14 03:14 AM
    The league problem is happening only because Blackberry forgot how to market their stuff.
    Wrong they forgot how to make phones. The double typing issue is unacceptable. For a company that claims to have the best physical keyboard how can you say that if your keyboard is defective.

You also can't tell consumers to sideload android apps as a work around. The first question they'd ask is why buy BlackBerry only to use android apps that don't fully function why not just buy an android. Less headaches, especially with google play services.

People gave Apple a hard time for a buggy maps app how would you compare apple maps to BlackBerry maps?

Even native BlackBerry apps are behind their android versions in terms of feature set.

Posted via my Q10
    05-12-14 07:51 AM
    Thank God for Ambassadors on CrackBerry... Where would we be without them to guide us?

Since you're an Ambassador...

any idea how that position works on iMore? Or Android Central? Windows Phone Central?
    Yes I am - but you must be mistaking me for someone else. There is a conversation missing here that doesn't involve me. And I'm assuming your issue is with Ambassadors - which is OK with me.

An Ambassador is just someone with a lot of posts who gives a darn with some structure around it. Same with the sister sites. You'll run into me on some of the others as well. Structures are the same, just resource differences. In fact I may be switching to one full time in the near future.

Posted via CB from my LE
    05-12-14 09:08 AM
    Wrong they forgot how to make phones. The double typing issue is unacceptable. For a company that claims to have the best physical keyboard how can you say that if your keyboard is defective.

You also can't tell consumers to sideload android apps as a work around. The first question they'd ask is why buy BlackBerry only to use android apps that don't fully function why not just buy an android. Less headaches, especially with google play services.

People gave Apple a hard time for a buggy maps app how would you compare apple maps to BlackBerry maps?

Even native BlackBerry apps are behind their android versions in terms of feature set.

Posted via my Q10
    Just curious, name one perfect phone that you know with no issues or problem. I think you are going overboard with BB issues compared to other competitors, don't you think?
    05-12-14 09:44 AM
    First of all, this is just a debate, and I respect your opinion and I hope you feel the same way! Just to be clear!

Having said that, Pantless, let's review...

CrackBerry SHOULD be a bully pulpit for BlackBerry, and CrackBerry SHOULD be excused for allowing its members to be Pro-BlackBerry at the expense of iPhone, Android and Windows phone, no? To put it another way, shouldn't Android Central be pro-Android at the expense of the others? Or iMore be pro-iPhone? Isn't it a no brainer?

Beyond that BlackBerry is unique in that they are the only company that fighting for their survival... I don't know if you would agree with me, but personally I believe that it's not the same thing to attack BlackBerry vs Apple, Google or Microsoft. BlackBerry is the only company that is currently on the brink of extinction....

Do you see the difference? Not that I think BlackBerry needs a handicap when it comes to software. As I said, I also use iOS and Android and I definitely prefer BlackBerry 10. I guess I'm more vocal because I'm concerned that all of the negative posts could actually make a difference when it comes to the future of BlackBerry whereas we could post negatively about Android and Apple on this forum all day and it wouldn't matter.

Do you see the difference?
    Yes, of course I respect your opinion . The way I see it, there are two camps of "negative" posts on CB. The first camp troll for the sake of trolling. They come to CB just to kick BB while it's down. The second camp is one I see more frequently. They're BlackBerry lovers, but are critical of the company because they WANT them to succeed and are vocal about perceived mistakes that BB is making and ways they think they could be fixed. I've seen many long-time CB members change their stance on this the more dire BB's situation gets. The tone of their posts a couple years ago are vastly different to their tone now.

As far as CB being "pro-BlackBerry at the expense of the others," I do agree to a point. However, I don't think the competition should be dismissed or belittled. They're the ones who are making the right moves and should be learned from. I agree that conversations revolving over why CB members choose BB over the competition are constructive, but not when it gets to the point where people are lying about (or at the very least dismissing the competition's capabilities). I've never seen the point in that. It actually harkens back to the same mistakes Mike and Jim made during a very critical time. What does that say about BlackBerry fans when they themselves emulate those same mistakes?

BlackBerry had a great display at Best Buy after the release of the Z10.

It was right at the entrance of the mobile device section. I'm pretty sure BlackBerry paid for the display. I base that guess off of the HUGE Samsung section that Best Buys have no which are nearly as large as the regular mobile section. Knowing Sammy's marketing budget it makes sense to me that they're the one paying for those huge displays.
    kbz1960, JeepBB and lnichols like this.
    05-12-14 10:35 AM
    Just curious, name one perfect phone that you know with no issues or problem. I think you are going overboard with BB issues compared to other competitors, don't you think?
    Actually Samsung, and Apple make pretty good phones. Aleast no major hardware defects like the double type issue.

Posted via my Q10
    05-12-14 11:52 AM
    Actually Samsung, and Apple make pretty good phones. Aleast no major hardware defects like the double type issue.

Posted via my Q10
    Oh really? I guess Apple and Samsung don't have Customer Service/Tech Support departments, right? Furthermore, is every Q10 user experiencing "double typing issue"? And can you tell me with absolute certainty that it's a hardware defect? Generalization of anything is NEVER good.
    05-12-14 01:41 PM
    BlackBerry is really (UNOFFICIALLY) a niche device; it has long ceased to be in the same mobile device league as Apple and Samsung. Therefore it is rather futile to continue to compare BB10 phones to iPhones and Android phones because their respective consumers' preferences differ widely. For example BlackBerry users place more emphasis on emailing, messaging etc where as Apple and Samsung place emphasis on APPS and other social things.

If you are still preoccupied with BlackBerry's consumer market share or whether BB10 specs "on paper" are on par with Android phones and iPhones, rather than BB10 phones actual functionalities then IMHO you are barking up the wrong tree.

BlackBerry is running it's own "niche" race so if you don't like what you see now and is not willing to be patient, maybe you ought to seriously consider moving on. It might be quite a long haul and time before BlackBerry can be in the same mobile device consumer league with Apple and Samsung again, if ever.
    I would respectfully disagree. On a technical level, pound for pound BB10 can compete with the big boys, especially the Z30. It's the best of both worlds, the fun of iOS/Android coupled with the productivity of legacy BBOS. Once they can get to 90+% compatibility of Android apps they will be able to unofficially fill the app gap until BB World gets stocked up.

From a marketing, consumer perception, and overall market penetration perspective, I would agree that BB is not in the same league is certainly a niche device. But the complaints from days gone by of no apps, spinning clocks, etc, etc are long gone. If BB10 can ever make it's way into more people hands I am confident it will gain it's footing in the market. It may not be #1 ever, but they don't have to be in order to have a profitable and sustainable business.
    05-12-14 02:05 PM
    Perfect... none.

Ones that are more powerful - yes
    Ones that are more feature rich - yes
    Ones that are more recognizable - yes
    Ones that have a richer ecosystem - yes
    Ones that are compatible with the world - yes
    Ones that are cheaper - yes
    Ones that are more premium - yes
    Ones that are cool - yes
    Ones that are more secure - no...

Simply put the smartphone market has gone and evolved at a much quicker pace that BlackBerry was able to recognizes, much less keep up with. At this point their resources are very limited in comparison to their competitions. They are out of their "league" now.
    05-12-14 02:18 PM
    I would respectfully disagree. On a technical level, pound for pound BB10 can compete with the big boys, especially the Z30. It's the best of both worlds, the fun of iOS/Android coupled with the productivity of legacy BBOS. Once they can get to 90+% compatibility of Android apps they will be able to unofficially fill the app gap until BB World gets stocked up.

From a marketing, consumer perception, and overall market penetration perspective, I would agree that BB is not in the same league is certainly a niche device. But the complaints from days gone by of no apps, spinning clocks, etc, etc are long gone. If BB10 can ever make it's way into more people hands I am confident it will gain it's footing in the market. It may not be #1 ever, but they don't have to be in order to have a profitable and sustainable business.
    I totally agree with you. If you carefully read what I posted you will realise that you are saying same thing as me but with a different twist.
    05-12-14 02:29 PM
    It's a choice, some people like me don't want to follow the crowd. Like my z10 but, battery is horrible. But, no worse than apple or Samsung. There is no upgrade from z10 Imo. Maybe z30 but not even sure about that. Z10 is a better built phone, and screen is better on z10. But if no upgrade soon, I might move on.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-14 03:15 PM
    The market that samsung (loss of profits last quarter) and iphone (well apple its lost over half of its phone market share actually) compete in, will eventually be a niche market.

MID tablets and phablets will take over the large screen portable air space, and 7 inch and large tablets and phablets the home use and office space. In ten years time, graphene will rip the current market to shreds.

Anyway, the point being that the large screen all touch phone is on its way out, from here on in. Its dominant, right now, but only because the faster, bigger, tablet take up started afterwards.
    05-12-14 08:06 PM
    Oh really? I guess Apple and Samsung don't have Customer Service/Tech Support departments, right? Furthermore, is every Q10 user experiencing "double typing issue"? And can you tell me with absolute certainty that it's a hardware defect? Generalization of anything is NEVER good.
    Apple has great customer support, I have experienced hardware problems with my ios devices. All I have to do is walk into an Apple store show the technician and they replace it on the spot. The spring on my power button died on my first iphone 5. They replaced it after seeing the problem it took 10 minutes.

Infact earlier this month they issued a recall for that very issue and replace defective phones for free.

BlackBerry should take responsibility for their defective devices and replace them it only makes them look bad. Based on their sales numbers is wouldn't be that many devices anyways.

Posted via my Q10
    05-13-14 07:06 AM
    The market that samsung (loss of profits last quarter) and iphone (well apple its lost over half of its phone market share actually) compete in, will eventually be a niche market.

MID tablets and phablets will take over the large screen portable air space, and 7 inch and large tablets and phablets the home use and office space. In ten years time, graphene will rip the current market to shreds.

Anyway, the point being that the large screen all touch phone is on its way out, from here on in. Its dominant, right now, but only because the faster, bigger, tablet take up started afterwards.
    Well, everything eventually changes. It doesn't matter that the hot thing now becomes a unprofitable niche because if a company is smart it adapts to change. Note I said unprofitable because serving a niche market does not automatically mean a company cannot make money quite nicely.

As for losing marketshare, you do realize that in the list of 20 highest quarterly corporate earnings there is only one company that isn't oil and gas and that company is on it 4 times (5 if you count down to 23)? Including its latest quarter?
    05-13-14 08:08 AM
    I stumbled across thread from almost eight (8) years ago. How it described the BlackBerry predicament then seems like the PKB situation in general.
    12-11-21 08:02 AM
    I haven't seen many of those members in years. In fact, are any of them still around?

Interesting thread from only a year after the official release of BB10.
    Frosty458 likes this.
    12-11-21 11:45 AM
    I haven't seen many of those members in years. In fact, are any of them still around?

Interesting thread from only a year after the official release of BB10.
    I am!

I've long since moved on of course but I swing by every now and then, mostly out of nostalgia and to marvel at the BB faithful that are still confidently expecting a new BB phone to be released... even now, in the closing days of 2021, and after all that has gone before!
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-11-21 03:18 PM
    I am!

I've long since moved on of course but I swing by every now and then, mostly out of nostalgia and to marvel at the BB faithful that are still confidently expecting a new BB phone to be released... even now, in the closing days of 2021, and after all that has gone before!
    Good to see ya!!!
    12-11-21 03:45 PM
    I'm still here.... but back then I was using a different username.. had the account closed and it's now anon1727506. I ought to see if Admin can merge them....
    12-27-21 09:26 AM
205 ... 6789